Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jeff Beck. RIP. Aw...man. 23:05 - Jan 11 with 1832 viewsOriginalMarkyP

Loved him.

No other player close to being like him.

True Greatness.

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Jeff Beck. RIP. Aw...man. on 01:52 - Jan 12 with 1726 viewsArthur_Hayes

Jazz funk rock classic

Jeff Beck. RIP. Aw...man. on 05:22 - Jan 12 with 1667 viewsBlueNomad

We have really started to lose the greats on a regular basis
Jeff Beck. RIP. Aw...man. on 06:17 - Jan 12 with 1640 viewsbobbyramsey

Oh dear :(

Jeff Beck. RIP. Aw...man. on 07:23 - Jan 12 with 1596 viewsBlueNomad

I read Classic Rock magazine. Every month now there is at least one major obituary - last month it was Christine McVie and Wilko Johnson.
Jeff Beck. RIP. Aw...man. on 07:41 - Jan 12 with 1560 viewsGlasgowBlue

That’s a shock. R.I.P.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Jeff Beck. RIP. Aw...man. on 07:42 - Jan 12 with 1563 viewsLord_Lucan

As a music fan I regret that I never listened to much of his stuff, probably because of the awful High Ho Silver Lining - so after that I blanked him.

To be fair I think he later said on many occasions that releasing that track was the worst thing he ever did in his life.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Jeff Beck. RIP. Aw...man. on 08:13 - Jan 12 with 1523 viewsElephantintheRoom

I’m not that convinced - unlike Clapton and Page he never achieved true greatness with the great unwashed and flitted all over the place in terms of output. Just seen him being commemorated on BBC with Hi Ho Silver Lining - which might already have him turning in his coffin.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Jeff Beck. RIP. Aw...man. on 08:29 - Jan 12 with 1493 viewsvilanovablue

He used to drink in my local he was a really lovely chap. He played in the quiz pretty much every week. He had some crazy motors, unsurprisingly.
Login to get fewer ads

Jeff Beck. RIP. Aw...man. on 08:38 - Jan 12 with 1468 viewsbobbyramsey

Jeff Beck. RIP. Aw...man. on 08:13 - Jan 12 by ElephantintheRoom

I’m not that convinced - unlike Clapton and Page he never achieved true greatness with the great unwashed and flitted all over the place in terms of output. Just seen him being commemorated on BBC with Hi Ho Silver Lining - which might already have him turning in his coffin.

Unlike Page and Clapton he didn't pander to the masses though, he preferred to plough his own furrow, hence some slightly "odd" output. He was much harder listening than the two above and most of his contemporaries, he was more "avant-garde," a bit more "out there." But he did do those ridiculous classical covers....

Those in the know will tell you that he was one of THE best..........
[Post edited 12 Jan 2023 8:40]
Jeff Beck. RIP. Aw...man. on 08:43 - Jan 12 with 1445 viewsGlasgowBlue

That’s harsh. JB didn’t go on to enjoy the same commercial success as the other two Yardbirds guitarists Clapton and Page, but he was no less talented and cast his net a bit wider than the other two, which made for a more interesting career.

Iron Lion Zion

Jeff Beck. RIP. Aw...man. on 08:50 - Jan 12 with 1426 viewsGlasgowBlue

Jeff Beck. RIP. Aw...man. on 07:42 - Jan 12 by Lord_Lucan

As a music fan I regret that I never listened to much of his stuff, probably because of the awful High Ho Silver Lining - so after that I blanked him.

To be fair I think he later said on many occasions that releasing that track was the worst thing he ever did in his life.

You’ve probably seen this.

Jeff Beck highlight on 2.46

Iron Lion Zion

Jeff Beck. RIP. Aw...man. on 09:12 - Jan 12 with 1369 viewsWhos_blue

I posted this in the other thread and will post again here.

Great track that features half of Led Zeppelin and Keith Moon.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Jeff Beck. RIP. Aw...man. on 11:30 - Jan 12 with 1294 viewsblueasfook

He was known as the "guitarist's guitarist". Even players like David Gilmour were in awe of what he could do on a guitar. Technically, there was nobody to touch him. His true greatness was the amazing tones he could produce. If you look closely at what he does, his right hand would be simultaneously picking, feathering the volume control and using the tremelo arm to add expression. He could make sounds like a violin or a clarinet. Just amazing.

Agree that Hi Ho Silver Lining was a truly terrible song though.

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Jeff Beck. RIP. Aw...man. on 11:34 - Jan 12 with 1259 viewsblueasfook

Jeff Beck. RIP. Aw...man. on 08:29 - Jan 12 by vilanovablue

He used to drink in my local he was a really lovely chap. He played in the quiz pretty much every week. He had some crazy motors, unsurprisingly.

He loved his motors. He had a collection of American cars I think.

Jeff Beck. RIP. Aw...man. on 11:42 - Jan 12 with 1244 viewsbobbyramsey

Jeff Beck. RIP. Aw...man. on 11:45 - Jan 12 with 1234 viewsGlasgowBlue

Jeff Beck. RIP. Aw...man. on 11:42 - Jan 12 by bobbyramsey

I’m a sucker for a Nile Rogers production so I have. Soft spot for this.

Iron Lion Zion

Jeff Beck. RIP. Aw...man. on 12:19 - Jan 12 with 1203 viewsElephantintheRoom

Jeff Beck. RIP. Aw...man. on 08:43 - Jan 12 by GlasgowBlue

That’s harsh. JB didn’t go on to enjoy the same commercial success as the other two Yardbirds guitarists Clapton and Page, but he was no less talented and cast his net a bit wider than the other two, which made for a more interesting career.

Not meant to be harsh - just an observation having ‘grown up’ with his music which had two common themes - never in a group for very long and all over the place in terms of style. I am left with the impression he never quite found what he was looking for, to quote Mr Hewson. I could add that another of his musical crimes was introducing the wider world to Rod Stewart

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Jeff Beck. RIP. Aw...man. on 12:44 - Jan 12 with 1137 viewsblueislander

Jeff Beck. RIP. Aw...man. on 08:38 - Jan 12 by bobbyramsey

Unlike Page and Clapton he didn't pander to the masses though, he preferred to plough his own furrow, hence some slightly "odd" output. He was much harder listening than the two above and most of his contemporaries, he was more "avant-garde," a bit more "out there." But he did do those ridiculous classical covers....

Those in the know will tell you that he was one of THE best..........
[Post edited 12 Jan 2023 8:40]

He was our TWTD erstwhile guitar hero Mariner’s favourite.
Jeff Beck. RIP. Aw...man. on 12:52 - Jan 12 with 1119 viewsblueasfook

Jeff Beck. RIP. Aw...man. on 12:44 - Jan 12 by blueislander

He was our TWTD erstwhile guitar hero Mariner’s favourite.

Not quite. Gary Moore is his hero. I am sure he has a Gary Moore duvet cover.

Jeff Beck. RIP. Aw...man. on 14:05 - Jan 12 with 1055 viewsGlasgowBlue

Jeff Beck. RIP. Aw...man. on 12:19 - Jan 12 by ElephantintheRoom

Not meant to be harsh - just an observation having ‘grown up’ with his music which had two common themes - never in a group for very long and all over the place in terms of style. I am left with the impression he never quite found what he was looking for, to quote Mr Hewson. I could add that another of his musical crimes was introducing the wider world to Rod Stewart

Rod Stewart is one of the finest white blues voices this country has ever produced.

The fact that he became a parody of himself in search of commercial success shouldn’t take away from that fact, or how good his early albums and those he recorded with the Faces were.

Iron Lion Zion

Jeff Beck. RIP. Aw...man. on 17:21 - Jan 12 with 994 viewsRadioOrwell

Jeff Beck. RIP. Aw...man. on 12:19 - Jan 12 by ElephantintheRoom

"all over the place in terms of style".
wow
I see that as someone who is constantly searching. And if you're not doing that then you're not much of a musician.
Let's hear your verdict on Miles Davis - (one of the greatest musicians that ever lived)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024