Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Single Malt Whisky Drinkers 19:26 - Jan 7 with 3673 viewsChondzoresk

After today’s marvellous destruction of Rotherham, I celebrated by deciding to crack open a bottle of Laphroaig. First time of sampling this. Good god, it smells awful. My missus said it was like disinfectant. The taste was so, so strong. Now I have had many decent single malts over the years, but nothing so potently smelly. I reverted back to my Jura single malt, still North West Scotland, but much more mellow and refined.

Anyone with any other recommendations?

I have tried the distillery near me, St George’s at Roudham, Norfolk, that is indeed excellent.
Single Malt Whisky Drinkers on 06:17 - Jan 8 with 644 viewsChondzoresk

Thank you to those who commented later. All great info, ideas and recommendations.
Single Malt Whisky Drinkers on 06:49 - Jan 8 with 620 viewsArchiRob

Oban is my favorite
Single Malt Whisky Drinkers on 16:55 - Jan 9 with 498 viewsFBI

Single Malt Whisky Drinkers on 20:27 - Jan 7 by Pablo_Counago

If you're looking for less peaty whisky's at a more affordable range I've got a good few suggestions:

Balvenie Doublewood: A bit sweet, vanilla and nuts. Also try the Caribbean Cask version if you like it sweeter (£45)

Tomintoul 16: Classic speyside whisky and more on the sweeter end of things (£50 ish pounds)

Bunhabhain 12: A personal favourite for me. Sweet and lovely spice notes. Available in lots of shops too (£40)

Glendronach 12: Absolutely excellent single malt. Fruit notes with a bit of spice. Fairly complex (£50)

Glenallachie 12: Again, quite classic speyside. Very sweet

Want something a bit more special? Tamdhu 15 is excellent as well.

Also well worth a try to anyone who likes bourbon or other american whisky: Adnams Rye Whisky. Won an award as best British Rye whisky and is well worth a go. Only £45 as well

+1 for Tomintoul, my dram of choice. Lovely smooth stuff.

Poll: The career progress of former town players is...

Single Malt Whisky Drinkers on 17:01 - Jan 9 with 484 viewsTractor_Buck

Edradour is a beautifully mellow Perthshire single malt from the smallest distillery in Scotland. Highly recommended.

For something different, try Penderyn Celt. Welsh single malt is very different to it's Scottish cousin but very pleasant.
Single Malt Whisky Drinkers on 17:21 - Jan 9 with 448 viewsmickymills

Lidl have a range called Ben Bracken. 3 versions of single malt. Islay, Speyside and Highland.
I've had the Islay and Highland and preferred the Islay but it's a matter of taste of course. A bargain at £16.99.
They've also got some much older matured bottles. These are guarded at the till! £39.99.
43%.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024