Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Jet Black 19:09 - Dec 8 with 1666 viewsstringy

Terrific band and in early years so menacing a sound...

RIP Jet Black on 20:43 - Dec 8 with 1581 viewsDJR

It wasn't just the sound that was menacing but the band were too. They were that bit older than the other punk bands and had an edgy presence.

I remember seeing them in Leeds in 1978 where they had technical problems, got pissed off and walked off stage, never to return.

The songs "Something Better Change", "(Get A) Grip (On Yourself)" and "Hanging Around", and in particular their introductions, were classics, and I had a tape with them on which I used to play to fire me up before exams.
RIP Jet Black on 20:48 - Dec 8 with 1569 viewsazuremerlangus

Sad news - I had the honour of having a few beers with him in the Chiefs’ Mess in HMS Brave down the Falklands many years ago. They had done a great gig for the troops and only fair that we returned the favour with a call round to the mess.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

RIP Jet Black on 21:27 - Dec 8 with 1502 viewsWeWereZombies

Now reported on the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63904248

Saw The Stranglers a few times over the years and they were always lively, sad but inevitable that these chances go by so quickly.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

RIP Jet Black on 21:29 - Dec 8 with 1502 viewsPendejo

Didn't realise he was so old! 2 years older than my father.

Warning contains explicit language

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

RIP Jet Black on 21:36 - Dec 8 with 1484 viewsstringy

RIP Jet Black on 20:43 - Dec 8 by DJR

It wasn't just the sound that was menacing but the band were too. They were that bit older than the other punk bands and had an edgy presence.

I remember seeing them in Leeds in 1978 where they had technical problems, got pissed off and walked off stage, never to return.

The songs "Something Better Change", "(Get A) Grip (On Yourself)" and "Hanging Around", and in particular their introductions, were classics, and I had a tape with them on which I used to play to fire me up before exams.

I saw them a few times back in the day, but alas was denied my first opportunity in autumn 1980.

My high school friend and I had to make a choice as to which gig we could afford at the Gaumont: Stiff Little Fingers, or The Stranglers - we chose the latter, but then his mum read in one of his music papers about the riot at the Nice gig and forbade him to go. Not only did she ban him, but the busybody phoned my parents up and sufficiently freaked them out that I wasn't allowed to go either. By that point, the SLF gig had been and gone, so lose lose, grrr...

That September Crass played Stowmarket - he was banned from going (he lived less than a mile from the venue), whereas my mum was on the door, and dad spent time inside chatting to the bands, and I was there all night - ha!
RIP Jet Black on 21:58 - Dec 8 with 1453 viewsgainsboroughblue

RIP Jet Black on 21:29 - Dec 8 by Pendejo

I didn't think he was in his 80s that's for sure. As already mentioned, Stranglers were a little older than their contemporaries and were a little bit derided by Lydon and co (short haired hippies being one well known jibe). They were a great band though with a unique sound and have stood the test of time.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

RIP Jet Black on 23:15 - Dec 8 with 1374 viewsWeWereZombies

RIP Jet Black on 21:36 - Dec 8 by stringy

I saw them a few times back in the day, but alas was denied my first opportunity in autumn 1980.

My high school friend and I had to make a choice as to which gig we could afford at the Gaumont: Stiff Little Fingers, or The Stranglers - we chose the latter, but then his mum read in one of his music papers about the riot at the Nice gig and forbade him to go. Not only did she ban him, but the busybody phoned my parents up and sufficiently freaked them out that I wasn't allowed to go either. By that point, the SLF gig had been and gone, so lose lose, grrr...

That September Crass played Stowmarket - he was banned from going (he lived less than a mile from the venue), whereas my mum was on the door, and dad spent time inside chatting to the bands, and I was there all night - ha!

I saw both of those gigs, Stranglers had a great pair of support bands in The Tea Set and Shinehead but I think Still Little Fingers edged it just through the energy of their performance - wasn't even aware that Crass played Stowmarket that year.

RIP Jet Black on 23:34 - Dec 8 with 1344 viewsstringy

RIP Jet Black on 23:15 - Dec 8 by WeWereZombies

I saw both of those gigs, Stranglers had a great pair of support bands in The Tea Set and Shinehead but I think Still Little Fingers edged it just through the energy of their performance - wasn't even aware that Crass played Stowmarket that year.

Actually just checked and got it wrong, Crass was Stowmarket United Reform Church(!) on 5th Sept. 1981, so the following year

They did play Traceys in Ipswich, May 1980
Login to get fewer ads

RIP Jet Black on 09:33 - Dec 9 with 1168 viewsDJR

RIP Jet Black on 23:15 - Dec 8 by WeWereZombies

I was at the Stiff Little Fingers gig, and they were great.

I saw them about six years later but in my view, they just weren't the same band because they lacked the energy and pace of their early punk days. It is why I have never had much interest in seeing the punk bands that continue to tour these days.
RIP Jet Black on 09:41 - Dec 9 with 1155 viewsDJR

The Stranglers were on the same bill as the superlative Ramones in the legendary July 1976 gig at the Roundhouse which kick-started the UK punk explosion.

Was there ever a better time for music than 1976-1980 with punk, new wave, a ska revival and a reggae back-drop?
RIP Jet Black on 09:53 - Dec 9 with 1137 viewsPhilTWTD

RIP Jet Black on 21:29 - Dec 8 by Pendejo

RIP Jet Black on 09:56 - Dec 9 with 1121 viewsDJR

RIP Jet Black on 09:53 - Dec 9 by PhilTWTD

He certainly kept it secret if Danny Baker didn't know.
RIP Jet Black on 10:10 - Dec 9 with 1110 viewsGlasgowBlue

RIP Jet Black on 21:58 - Dec 8 by gainsboroughblue

I didn't think he was in his 80s that's for sure. As already mentioned, Stranglers were a little older than their contemporaries and were a little bit derided by Lydon and co (short haired hippies being one well known jibe). They were a great band though with a unique sound and have stood the test of time.

With Dave Greenfield's keyboards, The Stranglers sounded more like the Doors than a 70'S punk band imo.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

RIP Jet Black on 10:18 - Dec 9 with 1089 viewsDJR

RIP Jet Black on 10:10 - Dec 9 by GlasgowBlue

With Dave Greenfield's keyboards, The Stranglers sounded more like the Doors than a 70'S punk band imo.

And a bit like the Jam, I don't think they were regarded by purists as a proper punk band at the time. Indeed, they started off as a pub rock band.

But punk was a broad church, and in my view their driving base sound, and slightly malevolent air, fully justified their description as punks.
RIP Jet Black on 10:18 - Dec 9 with 1090 viewsWeWereZombies

RIP Jet Black on 09:33 - Dec 9 by DJR

I was at the Stiff Little Fingers gig, and they were great.

I saw them about six years later but in my view, they just weren't the same band because they lacked the energy and pace of their early punk days. It is why I have never had much interest in seeing the punk bands that continue to tour these days.

I did not see Stiff Little Fingers after that Gaumont show until the early 2000s when Ali McMordie had been replaced by Bruce Foxton and the effect of all the bass fills between the three chord onslaught made them even better. However I saw them at the same venue (Cambridge Junction) a few years after that with McMordie back on bass and Jake Burns looking like he needed a zimmer frame and the edge was no longer there. Most ferocious mosh pit I have ever been in though.

RIP Jet Black on 10:31 - Dec 9 with 1061 viewsDJR

RIP Jet Black on 10:18 - Dec 9 by WeWereZombies

I did not see Stiff Little Fingers after that Gaumont show until the early 2000s when Ali McMordie had been replaced by Bruce Foxton and the effect of all the bass fills between the three chord onslaught made them even better. However I saw them at the same venue (Cambridge Junction) a few years after that with McMordie back on bass and Jake Burns looking like he needed a zimmer frame and the edge was no longer there. Most ferocious mosh pit I have ever been in though.

Yes, these days Jake Burns appears to be trying to out-do Alan Brazil on the "putting on the beef" front.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024