Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Derby will have a different gameplay 13:22 - Oct 17 with 1678 viewsbournemouthblue

Will they though, if I was Warne I'd have been taking notes from that Lincoln performance

They'll have better personnel than Lincoln collectively, if they park the bus and look to hit us on the counter, they'll probably have more joy

Warne's Rotherham sides were really organised and compact but could break at pace

He isn't going to turn up and play Samba football, anyone who turns up and tries to play a passing game with us is going to lose
[Post edited 17 Oct 2022 13:24]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Derby will have a different gameplay on 13:34 - Oct 17 with 1611 viewsArnieM

WE need to inject a bit more pace about our own game and mix it up a bit more. We’re too predictable with our careful, methodical build up from defence . I think just about team visiting PR over the years ( not just this season), have tended to let us have the ball and sit back and defend deep. Only a few have done differently. We need a different and varied approach to best this tactics I feel.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Derby will have a different gameplay on 06:53 - Oct 18 with 1379 viewsbournemouthblue

Derby will have a different gameplay on 13:34 - Oct 17 by ArnieM

WE need to inject a bit more pace about our own game and mix it up a bit more. We’re too predictable with our careful, methodical build up from defence . I think just about team visiting PR over the years ( not just this season), have tended to let us have the ball and sit back and defend deep. Only a few have done differently. We need a different and varied approach to best this tactics I feel.

Agreed, the possession football is great when we are in front and it's great when we are given a bit more space to play

We do need a plan B for teams like Lincoln, for me that could simply be going for 3412 rather than the 3421, get a second striker in next to Ladapo

It's quite unusual to utilise the two number 10's as we do, especially in League One.

It's very much a Premier League level of sophistication but Lincoln have shown how to stop us, what frustrated me is it seemed obvious we need a bit more physicality and directness to unlock them

We had a tonne of shots and still missed some good chances but I felt we fell into their trap a bit, at times we need to just fight fire with fire and get more balls into the box

The only real big man we have as a target is Ladapo though, we don't really have another target either from midfielder or as a striker off the bench who is going to dominate defenders physically

That's something we need to look at in January in opinion

Ahadme, might still be quite good but it annoys me we let Tyreece Simpson go, who was an absolute unit and pretty mobile

I really hope we don't regret that one in a few seasons time
[Post edited 18 Oct 2022 6:54]

Derby will have a different gameplay on 08:39 - Oct 18 with 1234 viewsjayessess

Derby have the second highest possession stats in the league and play the fewest long balls in the division. I'd give you very long odds on them throwing their existing patterns of play in the bin just for us.

We should hope they do, because teams radically altering their style for one off games are apt to get it wrong, but they won't.

I think the stuff about struggling when teams "park the bus" is pure "Ipswich Brain". We're always the free-flowing pass masters against the cynical opponents! In reality, Shrewsbury, Portsmouth, Cambridge and Lincoln are the four teams we've played that set up to defend deep. We won 3 of the 4 and Lincoln will probably have to wait 10 years before they win another game they've conceded 30 shots in.

Barnsley, Bolton, Wednesday, Plymouth all pressed us high when they could and got results. When teams get a lot of possession and territory against us we haven't proven terribly resilient, as even a few strugglers (Forest Green, Burton, Morecambe) have found out.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2022 12:00]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Derby will have a different gameplay on 09:06 - Oct 18 with 1175 viewstractorboy1978

Derby will have a different gameplay on 08:39 - Oct 18 by jayessess

Derby have the second highest possession stats in the league and play the fewest long balls in the division. I'd give you very long odds on them throwing their existing patterns of play in the bin just for us.

We should hope they do, because teams radically altering their style for one off games are apt to get it wrong, but they won't.

I think the stuff about struggling when teams "park the bus" is pure "Ipswich Brain". We're always the free-flowing pass masters against the cynical opponents! In reality, Shrewsbury, Portsmouth, Cambridge and Lincoln are the four teams we've played that set up to defend deep. We won 3 of the 4 and Lincoln will probably have to wait 10 years before they win another game they've conceded 30 shots in.

Barnsley, Bolton, Wednesday, Plymouth all pressed us high when they could and got results. When teams get a lot of possession and territory against us we haven't proven terribly resilient, as even a few strugglers (Forest Green, Burton, Morecambe) have found out.

They've actually only averaged just over 50% possession in the three games since Warne went in - against Accrington, Cambridge and Port Vale, so not sides you'd expect to dominate the ball either.
Derby will have a different gameplay on 10:05 - Oct 18 with 1115 viewsBeyriey

I'd argue that Warne has a better squad at his disposal than he had at Rotherham. Curtis Davies and James Chester in a back three with young Eiran Cashin. Cultured wingers in Barkhuizen and Mendez-Liang, as well as a strong, yet arguably inexperienced midfield.

It'll be an interesting game on Friday. Warne has managed to balance a Derby County going through a transitional period both on and off the pitch very well.
Derby will have a different gameplay on 10:06 - Oct 18 with 1113 viewsDinDjarin

Derby will have a different gameplay on 13:34 - Oct 17 by ArnieM

Watching Man City v Liverpool the other day it is noticeable how our style of play is similar albeit they are on another level. Its obvious how we setup that KM has been involved in a high end Premiership team how he is setting us up and our phases of play.

However, we take 1 or 2 more passes to switch play than they do and it always seems to allow the opposition to shuffle across and close us down easier. Basically we just need to move the ball quicker and create those 1v1 phases of play which we didn't or couldn't do v Lincoln and also Cambridge for 70 minutes.
Derby will have a different gameplay on 10:29 - Oct 18 with 1067 viewsSomethingBlue

Your final par there is the key. We are very good in the periods in which we control possession (I would include large chunks of Sat in that assessment). But in those patches when we are up against it we are inordinately wobbly. Lincoln scored in their one little spell of sustained pressure in the game — which amounted to two or three corners, nothing more. Our game is based on control and because we do it so extensively we're usually ok — but the susceptibility whenever we lose it is a little alarming.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Derby will have a different gameplay on 12:13 - Oct 18 with 930 viewsjayessess

Derby will have a different gameplay on 09:06 - Oct 18 by tractorboy1978

They've actually only averaged just over 50% possession in the three games since Warne went in - against Accrington, Cambridge and Port Vale, so not sides you'd expect to dominate the ball either.

56-44 away to Cambridge,
52-48 home to Port Vale (with one man less for more than a third of the game)
44-56 away to Accrington (after taking an early lead)

Might indicate that they're getting the ball forward slightly quicker and encouraging more risks in attack but not that they're parking the bus. Warne's Rotherham never did that with us anyway, they were the archetype "launch and squish" team.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Login to get fewer ads

Derby will have a different gameplay on 14:18 - Oct 18 with 778 viewsDavoIPB

Derby are unbelievably quick on the counter with players who can strike the ball from distance. Going to be a tough game.
Derby will have a different gameplay on 18:07 - Oct 19 with 619 viewsbournemouthblue

Do they still play this style under Warne?

If so, it would suggest they have not yet adopted his approach, which so far has yielded disappointing results

If they come here and try and out football us, they will lose

If they come here and try and do want Lincoln did, they'll have half a chance, especially with the experienced heads they have

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024