Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Liz Truss spending tax payers money… 21:38 - Sep 22 with 2246 viewsSitfcB

…in the Norwich City FC club shop when she was foreign secretary?

Sackable offence surely.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 22:35 - Sep 22 with 1871 viewsNthsuffolkblue

You mean, the corrupt Boris Johnson has been replaced with the most like-for-like choice the Conservative Party could possibly have found?

You do surprise me!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 23:50 - Sep 22 with 1773 viewsBasingstokeBlue

They can't get any proper supporters, innit.

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 07:48 - Sep 23 with 1594 viewsibbleobble

If she cuts stamp duty completely or drastically reduces it today, I’m happy to let this indiscretion slide!
Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 08:11 - Sep 23 with 1554 viewsbluelagos

Whlst she was the Foreign Secretary, yet to be established who spent the money and what is was spent on.

Whether it's a smoking gun or not, the lack of transparency around the spending is a concern and am sure more will come out. Recon quite a few journos will be contacting NCFC staff for info over the coming days.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 08:18 - Sep 23 with 1533 viewsMattinLondon

Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 07:48 - Sep 23 by ibbleobble

If she cuts stamp duty completely or drastically reduces it today, I’m happy to let this indiscretion slide!

You’re happy to ignore the corruption and waste of government money as long as you get something out from it?
Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 08:30 - Sep 23 with 1488 viewsDJR

Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 07:48 - Sep 23 by ibbleobble

The problem is that all measures in recent years to boost the housing market have merely pushed up prices to ridiculous levels. A stamp duty cut will merely reinforce this, with the result that what one saves on stamp duty will be eaten up by higher asking prices. Of course, this isn't really an issue for those on the housing ladder, but it is a killer for those forced to rent. The real answer is more house building, and much more social housing, but the people likely to benefit from this are unlikely to vote Tory, so far better to offer supposed sweeteners to the members of the home-owning democracy.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2022 8:32]
Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 08:37 - Sep 23 with 1430 viewsDJR

Whoever spent it must have cleared out their trophy cabinet.
Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 08:42 - Sep 23 with 1419 viewsim_marcacus

Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 08:30 - Sep 23 by DJR

The problem is that all measures in recent years to boost the housing market have merely pushed up prices to ridiculous levels. A stamp duty cut will merely reinforce this, with the result that what one saves on stamp duty will be eaten up by higher asking prices. Of course, this isn't really an issue for those on the housing ladder, but it is a killer for those forced to rent. The real answer is more house building, and much more social housing, but the people likely to benefit from this are unlikely to vote Tory, so far better to offer supposed sweeteners to the members of the home-owning democracy.

☝🏽 This. It’s not rocket surgery, shoring up the housing market always their safety first tactic. Tory’s cutting their pals taxes and borrowing cash to shore up the deficit, mind blowing that debunked trickle down economics is still their primary thinking all these decades later. Spending public funds on personal garbage from the Budgies shop is a neat microcosm of their disdain for spending public funds on those who need help yet are profligate on helping themselves to what their labour hasn’t earned them.
Login to get fewer ads

Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 08:49 - Sep 23 with 1383 viewsibbleobble

Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 08:18 - Sep 23 by MattinLondon

You’re happy to ignore the corruption and waste of government money as long as you get something out from it?

Given I’ve been screwed for the last 25 years financially at every government decision and this is the only one that could potentially work in my new family’s benefit, yes. Moral virtues and fighting an unwinnable ethical war have gone out of the window now I have a baby to think of.
Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 08:55 - Sep 23 with 1370 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 08:49 - Sep 23 by ibbleobble

Given I’ve been screwed for the last 25 years financially at every government decision and this is the only one that could potentially work in my new family’s benefit, yes. Moral virtues and fighting an unwinnable ethical war have gone out of the window now I have a baby to think of.

It's not what baby would have wanted....they are going to hate you when they grow up.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 08:57 - Sep 23 with 1362 viewsibbleobble

Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 08:30 - Sep 23 by DJR

I’m not a homeowner and that’s part of her point. The answer isn’t to just slap up more grotesque affordable housing either given the abominations that litter the green belt and that there’s plenty of derelict, vacant properties going to waste across the land (unless you meant renovating these spaces). And, house prices have been rising decade on decade with only a few blips since inception so this will continue regardless of stamp duty cuts.

I empathise with anyone trying to buy. We’ve spent 2.5 years looking, viewed 65 houses in 14 locations and been blown out of the water on offers 5 times. The whole system is a farce. I’m not arguing stamp duty cuts are the answer but we’re exhausted and on the cusp of buying our first home so I’ll gladly take any kick back right now to save on an astronomical stamp duty cost whilst in the midst of an energy crisis out of our control.

Anyway, this is a football thread. Didn’t mean to flip the subject matter quite like this 🙂
Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 08:59 - Sep 23 with 1353 viewsSaigonTractor

Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 08:18 - Sep 23 by MattinLondon

Judging by the voting patterns of the last 12 years most of the country is happy with that.
Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 09:00 - Sep 23 with 1351 viewsibbleobble

Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 08:55 - Sep 23 by BanksterDebtSlave

It's not what baby would have wanted....they are going to hate you when they grow up.

They’ll have a house and a roof over their head which they’ll inherit so I make you incorrect. The alternative at the moment is pay extortionate rent to my landlord who already owns 5 properties in affluent areas and holidays about 6 times a year.
Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 09:03 - Sep 23 with 1337 viewsDJR

Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 08:57 - Sep 23 by ibbleobble

I’m not a homeowner and that’s part of her point. The answer isn’t to just slap up more grotesque affordable housing either given the abominations that litter the green belt and that there’s plenty of derelict, vacant properties going to waste across the land (unless you meant renovating these spaces). And, house prices have been rising decade on decade with only a few blips since inception so this will continue regardless of stamp duty cuts.

I empathise with anyone trying to buy. We’ve spent 2.5 years looking, viewed 65 houses in 14 locations and been blown out of the water on offers 5 times. The whole system is a farce. I’m not arguing stamp duty cuts are the answer but we’re exhausted and on the cusp of buying our first home so I’ll gladly take any kick back right now to save on an astronomical stamp duty cost whilst in the midst of an energy crisis out of our control.

Anyway, this is a football thread. Didn’t mean to flip the subject matter quite like this 🙂

Fair enough. And I sympathise about your plight.
Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 09:08 - Sep 23 with 1318 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 09:00 - Sep 23 by ibbleobble

They’ll have a house and a roof over their head which they’ll inherit so I make you incorrect. The alternative at the moment is pay extortionate rent to my landlord who already owns 5 properties in affluent areas and holidays about 6 times a year.

Hopefully you can make it happen and keep your moral virtues reltively in tact too.

Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 09:10 - Sep 23 with 1313 viewsbluelagos

Can see how you're happy with any scraps thrown your way. Your situation / frustration is shared by many struggling to buy their first home.

What gets me is the belief (of many) that rising house prices are a good thing. Martin Lewis challenged this view a few days ago, but it is something many homeowners stick to.

The policy (of reducing stamp duty) is designed to prop up the property market and avoid a big readjustment of housing values. The irony here being that if there was a significant fall then you would be far better off if the house you are looking at was say 20% cheaper - stamp duty or not.

Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 09:18 - Sep 23 with 1284 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 09:10 - Sep 23 by bluelagos

Can see how you're happy with any scraps thrown your way. Your situation / frustration is shared by many struggling to buy their first home.

What gets me is the belief (of many) that rising house prices are a good thing. Martin Lewis challenged this view a few days ago, but it is something many homeowners stick to.

The policy (of reducing stamp duty) is designed to prop up the property market and avoid a big readjustment of housing values. The irony here being that if there was a significant fall then you would be far better off if the house you are looking at was say 20% cheaper - stamp duty or not.

Spare a thought for the banks' balance sheets.

Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 09:18 - Sep 23 with 1281 viewsblueasfook

Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 08:37 - Sep 23 by DJR

Whoever spent it must have cleared out their trophy cabinet.

What about the remaining £1,800?

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 09:45 - Sep 23 with 1220 viewsMattinLondon

Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 09:00 - Sep 23 by ibbleobble

I understand where you’re coming from.

Personally I would tax a lot more on second homes and so on
Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 11:54 - Sep 23 with 1072 viewsDJR

Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 09:45 - Sep 23 by MattinLondon

I understand where you’re coming from.

Personally I would tax a lot more on second homes and so on

Given what's happened today, can you ever see a Truss government doing that? More likely to reduce or remove CGT on second homes.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2022 11:55]
Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 12:00 - Sep 23 with 1061 viewsTrumptonBlue

Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 08:55 - Sep 23 by BanksterDebtSlave

They will do anyway whatever you do, in my experience.

Sorry, I have teenagers.
Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 12:01 - Sep 23 with 1058 viewsXYZ

It won't save you any money. The house you want to buy will be 10% more expensive.
Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 12:38 - Sep 23 with 997 viewsMattinLondon

Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 11:54 - Sep 23 by DJR

Given what's happened today, can you ever see a Truss government doing that? More likely to reduce or remove CGT on second homes.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2022 11:55]

Not at all. At this point in time they have one eye on life after government and trying to keep their lucrative boardroom prospects sweet by being nice to the high earners.
Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 13:20 - Sep 23 with 924 viewsDJR

Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 12:38 - Sep 23 by MattinLondon

Not at all. At this point in time they have one eye on life after government and trying to keep their lucrative boardroom prospects sweet by being nice to the high earners.

Absolutely.
Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 13:34 - Sep 23 with 890 viewsbluelagos

Liz Truss spending tax payers money… on 09:18 - Sep 23 by BanksterDebtSlave

Spare a thought for the banks' balance sheets.

More subtle for me. The home owning middle classes are largely Tory voters, lose them and they have no chance of reelection.

The feel good factor from your home being worth 5-10% more than a year ago is deeply ingrained.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024