Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone into ponds? 13:14 - Jul 10 with 935 viewsZXBlue

Not a particular interest, but we have one which was neglected. Last year I cleared it of crap (it was about 70% plant matter by that time- you could almost walk on the surface).

It is now empty, almost. Pretty sure that there must be a tiny leak somewhere. Ideal opportunity to clear out all the sludge and crap and re line it. Was thinking of doing so in Autumn to try not to disturb wildlife, but there is barely an inch of water left so...

Will it be desperately harmful to do it now? I see little life in there except hundreds of watersnails. I could chuck them all in a trug full of sludge whilst we do it, I suppose. No sign of the newts and tadpoles which were visible a month ago.
Anyone into ponds? on 13:28 - Jul 10 with 887 viewsBarcaBlue

If there's hardly any water I guess it's a good time now. I need to re-line mine but something I've never got round to.

I put some fish in the pond a few years ago, they must have been happy as the 4 fish quickly became about 80. Then a family of snakes moved in and scoffed the lot.
Anyone into ponds? on 13:55 - Jul 10 with 839 viewsBluearmy71

If there is a an inch or so of water left then it would suggest a leak in the liner, I take it if a pump was in there it has been long removed as I was going to suggest if the pump was still in then the leak could have been from a hose, if you are planning to put any fish in there then check all connections to and from the pump leading to filter/s.

You can indeed re-line it now if you wish (the only reason not to would be because of existing carp in the pond) I advise caution removing sludge due to unnoticeable wildlife such as frogs and newts that you are wanting to see. On the tadpole front most would have been eaten and a few developed into baby frogs which again most will have been eaten by now, frogs always come back to where they were born to breed of late March- April expect a lot of croaking.

"It was about 70% plant matter" this suggests you have taken a lot of the plants out too, leave around 25% of what was there it will all grow back.

It is important if the pump is in there that you do test all connections to establish its not the liner to save you some trouble and expense of re lining, unless its one of those god awful all in one pumps with a fountain.
Anyone into ponds? on 14:09 - Jul 10 with 807 viewsZXBlue

Anyone into ponds? on 13:55 - Jul 10 by Bluearmy71

If there is a an inch or so of water left then it would suggest a leak in the liner, I take it if a pump was in there it has been long removed as I was going to suggest if the pump was still in then the leak could have been from a hose, if you are planning to put any fish in there then check all connections to and from the pump leading to filter/s.

You can indeed re-line it now if you wish (the only reason not to would be because of existing carp in the pond) I advise caution removing sludge due to unnoticeable wildlife such as frogs and newts that you are wanting to see. On the tadpole front most would have been eaten and a few developed into baby frogs which again most will have been eaten by now, frogs always come back to where they were born to breed of late March- April expect a lot of croaking.

"It was about 70% plant matter" this suggests you have taken a lot of the plants out too, leave around 25% of what was there it will all grow back.

It is important if the pump is in there that you do test all connections to establish its not the liner to save you some trouble and expense of re lining, unless its one of those god awful all in one pumps with a fountain.

No pump. The plant matter was solid- all out. You really could walk on it. Probably damaged liner in the process as I had to use a saw to break the stuff into moveable chunks.

Way too much sludge I think. Constant algae issues
Anyone into ponds? on 14:36 - Jul 10 with 772 viewsBluearmy71

Anyone into ponds? on 14:09 - Jul 10 by ZXBlue

No pump. The plant matter was solid- all out. You really could walk on it. Probably damaged liner in the process as I had to use a saw to break the stuff into moveable chunks.

Way too much sludge I think. Constant algae issues

Bloody hell that sounds truly neglected!!

OK, so a lot of that plat matter would have oxygenated the water to a degree but once over grown as it was suffocates, the only real way to shift algae is with a pump onto a filter with a UVC ( ultra violet light kills the algae) and the filter obv moves most of the crap that get in the pond apart from surface debris as well as supply a constantan stream of oxygen into the water which frogs, newts and plants etc etc need.

You may also have problems with the deeded blanket weed a product called Nishikoi Clear Waters Blanket Weed Remover is the best solution I have found and a 1.3 kg tun costs around £20 on ebay.

How big is your pond? And if you are on a tight budget go for the used or pre owned pond equipment on ebay, half my stuff has come from there tbh including most of the fish I have.

If you wish to go down the pump and filter route (Which I highly suggest) then please don't hesitate to message me for advice on any of it, I've had my pond around 10 years now I don't consider myself an expert by any means but am happy to share my knowledge I have obtained over the years.
Anyone into ponds? on 14:44 - Jul 10 with 755 viewsElephantintheRoom

All I would say is that IF you’ve got a leak - then there might be a reason for it. Anything sharp between the liner and underlay might simply recreate the leak with a new liner. Other than that a spirit level and a plank will show if the top is level - and you adjust if not

Things to consider are shallow margins to help critters in and out and birds to drink. And how deep the pond is if you want any fish - or any wildlife to have a chance against herons.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Anyone into ponds? on 15:25 - Jul 10 with 693 viewsZXBlue

Anyone into ponds? on 14:36 - Jul 10 by Bluearmy71

Bloody hell that sounds truly neglected!!

OK, so a lot of that plat matter would have oxygenated the water to a degree but once over grown as it was suffocates, the only real way to shift algae is with a pump onto a filter with a UVC ( ultra violet light kills the algae) and the filter obv moves most of the crap that get in the pond apart from surface debris as well as supply a constantan stream of oxygen into the water which frogs, newts and plants etc etc need.

You may also have problems with the deeded blanket weed a product called Nishikoi Clear Waters Blanket Weed Remover is the best solution I have found and a 1.3 kg tun costs around £20 on ebay.

How big is your pond? And if you are on a tight budget go for the used or pre owned pond equipment on ebay, half my stuff has come from there tbh including most of the fish I have.

If you wish to go down the pump and filter route (Which I highly suggest) then please don't hesitate to message me for advice on any of it, I've had my pond around 10 years now I don't consider myself an expert by any means but am happy to share my knowledge I have obtained over the years.

Its about 4 x 5m. Not intending to have fish but it has been teeming with life. The sludge is several inches thick in places so there is way too much organic matter in there, encouraging the algae I think.

Time to clear it out and set it up properly I reckon.
Anyone into ponds? on 15:30 - Jul 10 with 686 viewsjeera

Anyone into ponds? on 15:25 - Jul 10 by ZXBlue

Its about 4 x 5m. Not intending to have fish but it has been teeming with life. The sludge is several inches thick in places so there is way too much organic matter in there, encouraging the algae I think.

That sounds a decent size!

No fish?

If you're starting afresh can't you extend it and maybe have a few trout, a section for shrimp, grow some mussels...

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Anyone into ponds? on 16:45 - Jul 10 with 621 viewsBluearmy71

Anyone into ponds? on 15:25 - Jul 10 by ZXBlue

That is a decent size!!

Yep get rid of all the sludge, it will be superb for the garden or pot plants literally amazing if you are that way inclined.

As for set up a 10.000 LPH pump and a medium to large gravity box filter, you always get a larger opacity pump and filter for what is needed as you can always slow the flow down with a stop valve or flow control tap of some kind but obv you cant speed the flow up if ur equipment is insufficient, as I said no need to chuck hundreds upon hundreds at it and as you have no fish to constantly cr@p in the water that will lower the maintenance of the filter.

I cater for both fish and wildlife in my pond and the animals that are attracted to the clear, filtered running water are amazing, not just the local cats but I've had Badgers and even a Deer drink from mine and I live in an estate I do have an abandoned lot opposite me that is over grown so that explains most of the wildlife.
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone into ponds? on 18:11 - Jul 10 with 566 viewsZXBlue

Anyone into ponds? on 16:45 - Jul 10 by Bluearmy71

That is a decent size!!

Yep get rid of all the sludge, it will be superb for the garden or pot plants literally amazing if you are that way inclined.

As for set up a 10.000 LPH pump and a medium to large gravity box filter, you always get a larger opacity pump and filter for what is needed as you can always slow the flow down with a stop valve or flow control tap of some kind but obv you cant speed the flow up if ur equipment is insufficient, as I said no need to chuck hundreds upon hundreds at it and as you have no fish to constantly cr@p in the water that will lower the maintenance of the filter.

I cater for both fish and wildlife in my pond and the animals that are attracted to the clear, filtered running water are amazing, not just the local cats but I've had Badgers and even a Deer drink from mine and I live in an estate I do have an abandoned lot opposite me that is over grown so that explains most of the wildlife.

Not keen on fish tbh. And getting power out there would be a pain. Possibly something solar to make a little waterfall or something.
Anyone into ponds? on 20:56 - Jul 10 with 504 viewsBluearmy71

Anyone into ponds? on 18:11 - Jul 10 by ZXBlue

Not keen on fish tbh. And getting power out there would be a pain. Possibly something solar to make a little waterfall or something.

If solar is the most viable for you then go for it but do get the highest litre per hour that you can get, I had a quick look and saw 400lph for £25 and given the size of your pond i suggest maybe 2 or 4 solar air stones.

You will find that because of the tiny size of the solar equipment that you will be cleaning the pump out lots.

Good luck with everything.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024