Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our Squad / January changes 15:53 - Jan 3 with 1916 viewsjayessess

Our current squad (* for loan, bold if in squad list)

Gks
Walton*
Hladky
Holy

CBs
Edmundson
Woolfenden
Donacien
Nsiala
Burgess

RWBs
Burns
Vincent-Young

LWBs
Coulson*
Penney

Clements
Kenlock

CM
Morsy
Evans
Fraser
Carroll
Nolan

Harper
El Mizouni
Humphreys

AM
Aluko
Chaplin
Celina*
Edwards

CF
Bonne*
Norwood
Pigott
Jackson

To me, we look very heavy for all 3 positions in centre midfield, have numbers over quality at left wing back, have just enough centre backs but probably 2 of the wrong type.

So is the priority getting people out the door?
[Post edited 3 Jan 2022 17:55]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Our Squad / January changes on 16:31 - Jan 3 with 1771 viewsIllinoisblue

Barry has already gone back to Villa

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Our Squad / January changes on 16:32 - Jan 3 with 1766 viewsjayessess

Our Squad / January changes on 16:31 - Jan 3 by Illinoisblue

Barry has already gone back to Villa

that's one loan spot back, I guess. U21, so no help in keeping the official squad list numbers down though.

Our Squad / January changes on 16:37 - Jan 3 with 1748 viewsDarth_Koont

If Barry has gone back and an injured Coulson too, then we should definitely look to bring in a couple more solid and consistent players on the left (LB/LWB and LW/AML).

In defence and attack, the left side has been our Achilles heel all season. We can’t expect it to be as good as Donacien, Burns, Aluko and even KVY have been on the right. But it’s never even been close to that strength.

Pronouns: He/Him

Our Squad / January changes on 16:52 - Jan 3 with 1679 viewsjayessess

Our Squad / January changes on 16:37 - Jan 3 by Darth_Koont

If Barry has gone back and an injured Coulson too, then we should definitely look to bring in a couple more solid and consistent players on the left (LB/LWB and LW/AML).

In defence and attack, the left side has been our Achilles heel all season. We can’t expect it to be as good as Donacien, Burns, Aluko and even KVY have been on the right. But it’s never even been close to that strength.

Considering where we're at (and the small likelihood of a play-off push), we should probably hold off on new signings until the Summer unless really necessary. LB/LWB probably is a necessity, unless Coulson's going to reappear imminently. LW/AML, not so much? We've got Edwards on a long contract, so ideally you want him to play and develop.

Our Squad / January changes on 16:57 - Jan 3 with 1654 viewsxrayspecs

While I agree that we should be looking at moving some of the current squad on, I would prioritise strengthening the team where needed. Subject to financial fair play (not sure if the salaries of players not in the named 25 count or not?):

GK: Sign Walton or another of similar calibre, release Holy

CB: Upgrade Nsiala and Burgess

LWB: New LWB, let Coulson return to Boro and release Kenlock and Clements

CM: Release Nolan

AM: Barry has gone

FW: Sign Bonne or another similar calibre. Release Jackson.
Our Squad / January changes on 17:07 - Jan 3 with 1608 viewsDarth_Koont

Our Squad / January changes on 16:52 - Jan 3 by jayessess

Considering where we're at (and the small likelihood of a play-off push), we should probably hold off on new signings until the Summer unless really necessary. LB/LWB probably is a necessity, unless Coulson's going to reappear imminently. LW/AML, not so much? We've got Edwards on a long contract, so ideally you want him to play and develop.

I’m not writing Edwards off. But he looks to be a player who needs to be part of a stronger, more confident side first.

I’m hopeful McKenna can really help him too.

Pronouns: He/Him

Our Squad / January changes on 17:07 - Jan 3 with 1607 viewsjayessess

Our Squad / January changes on 16:57 - Jan 3 by xrayspecs

While I agree that we should be looking at moving some of the current squad on, I would prioritise strengthening the team where needed. Subject to financial fair play (not sure if the salaries of players not in the named 25 count or not?):

SCMP counts the salaries of all Over 21s, whether or not they make the named squad (which is 22, not 25).

So, Barry and Clements going wouldn't help, but Kenlock, Nsiala, Burgess, Coulson, Nolan and Jackson would.

We've not shown any inclination to release players under the new regime, so suspect we aren't going to start doing that now. Kenlock and Jackson I imagine we'll be able to move on, Nolan's fitness will make him a bit harder.

Nsiala is probably dependent on us having someone lined up and needing the space.

Can't see that we're going to offload Burgess 6 months into a 3-year contract.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2022 17:09]

Our Squad / January changes on 17:08 - Jan 3 with 1606 viewsThe_Realist_09

It's a weird one as we still don't really know Mckenna's desired system. It may be 3-5-2, or he may just think that's what our current squad fits best and doesn't want to try and change too much too quickly.

I think we might get a couple of loans, maybe shift a couple, but any permanent business has to have an eye on next season and how Mckenna see's us setting up long-term.
Login to get fewer ads

Our Squad / January changes on 17:32 - Jan 3 with 1539 viewsxrayspecs

Our Squad / January changes on 17:07 - Jan 3 by jayessess

SCMP counts the salaries of all Over 21s, whether or not they make the named squad (which is 22, not 25).

So, Barry and Clements going wouldn't help, but Kenlock, Nsiala, Burgess, Coulson, Nolan and Jackson would.

We've not shown any inclination to release players under the new regime, so suspect we aren't going to start doing that now. Kenlock and Jackson I imagine we'll be able to move on, Nolan's fitness will make him a bit harder.

Nsiala is probably dependent on us having someone lined up and needing the space.

I suspected that might be the case, so there will be an element of getting players out to create financial space too.

Holy Nsiala, Nolan and Jackson are out of contract in the summer so may fancy the security of say an 18 month of two and a half years contract now, rather than wait until next Summer.

Suspect you are right about Burgess, just not sure where he fits in at Town, especially if McKenna appears to favour ball playing centre backs.
Our Squad / January changes on 18:05 - Jan 3 with 1451 viewsjayessess

Our Squad / January changes on 17:32 - Jan 3 by xrayspecs

I suspected that might be the case, so there will be an element of getting players out to create financial space too.

Holy Nsiala, Nolan and Jackson are out of contract in the summer so may fancy the security of say an 18 month of two and a half years contract now, rather than wait until next Summer.

Suspect you are right about Burgess, just not sure where he fits in at Town, especially if McKenna appears to favour ball playing centre backs.

You would assume that in all 4 cases if we want them out, it'll just be a question of how much of their remaining contracts we can get someone else to pay.

Don't think you'd recruit much better than Burgess or Nsiala for 4th/5th choice CB in L1. If we do some business we might get rid of one is all.

Our Squad / January changes on 18:47 - Jan 3 with 1371 viewsSouthfieldsBlue

Our Squad / January changes on 18:05 - Jan 3 by jayessess

You would assume that in all 4 cases if we want them out, it'll just be a question of how much of their remaining contracts we can get someone else to pay.

Don't think you'd recruit much better than Burgess or Nsiala for 4th/5th choice CB in L1. If we do some business we might get rid of one is all.

Burgess I think has to stay as he can't play for another club this season? Think he made one appearance for Accrington before joining us.
Our Squad / January changes on 19:32 - Jan 3 with 1278 viewsAlexGreen

Our Squad / January changes on 16:57 - Jan 3 by xrayspecs

Harsh on Clements!

Poll: Who from our injured list will play the most games in 20/21

Our Squad / January changes on 20:02 - Jan 3 with 1218 viewsWakh

Our Squad / January changes on 17:07 - Jan 3 by jayessess

22- man squad, but thats doesnt include goalkeepers, does it?

Just pointing that out as x-ray mentions getting shot of Holy (Which i agree with BTW)
Our Squad / January changes on 20:39 - Jan 3 with 1153 viewsxrayspecs

Our Squad / January changes on 19:32 - Jan 3 by AlexGreen

Harsh on Clements!

Love to see on of our own make the first team....but...what exactly did he do for us?

Sorry, he made up the numbers and added little to the team. He kept a shirt warm but that apart, I am struggling to think of what positives he added to the team.

He did not let anyone down, he did though not add much either.

At his age, you have either broken into the first team, or you move on. Can see him being a decent defender in L2/National League, but not part of our future.
Our Squad / January changes on 20:46 - Jan 3 with 1125 viewslizzibee

Our Squad / January changes on 20:02 - Jan 3 by Wakh

22- man squad, but thats doesnt include goalkeepers, does it?

Just pointing that out as x-ray mentions getting shot of Holy (Which i agree with BTW)

I feel for Holy. I think he has potential. Even when he isn’t in the team he is always behind the dugout with the rest of the players. That’s real team spirit. Would be good to give him a chance
Our Squad / January changes on 22:25 - Jan 3 with 1021 viewsWakh

Our Squad / January changes on 20:46 - Jan 3 by lizzibee

I feel for Holy. I think he has potential. Even when he isn’t in the team he is always behind the dugout with the rest of the players. That’s real team spirit. Would be good to give him a chance

He's played 57 times for us, he's had more than a chance.
Our Squad / January changes on 08:00 - Jan 4 with 817 viewsWestcountryblue

Looking through our squad, we obviously have a huge amount of ability and talent at this level. One of McKenna's top priorities should be to get more out of the likes of Fraser, Edwards, Harper, Vincent Young, Carroll, Celina, Pigott and arguably Chaplin. These are players that should be excelling at this level of football.

I think we should also continue to trade aggressively. For me, Nolan, Jackson, Kenlock and maybe some of the newcomers who haven't performed should be moved on.

In their place should be a quality left back, a left sided player and a striker. A centre back and GK might also be on the cards if Nsiala and Walton leave.

The club will continue to invest significant funds as the owners have zero interest in being in this division. The Cook sacking underlines that.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2022 8:00]
Our Squad / January changes on 08:29 - Jan 4 with 768 viewsChurchman

Our Squad / January changes on 16:52 - Jan 3 by jayessess

It’s well known and has been repeated by MA that January isn’t the best time to do transfer business and given how far off the playoffs we are, I think you are right. The odd player in, the odd player out will I think be the size of it.

KM has only been here five minutes so working with what he’s got plus a couple to replace the returnees until the seasons end looks no bad thing to me. That then gives him a chance to build in the summer rather than take the bomb squad Cook mud at the wall approach.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024