Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pick your 11 for the Gabba 17:49 - Dec 5 with 1426 viewsYallop

Rory Burns,
Zak Crawley,
Dawid Malan,
Joe Root,
Ollie Pope,
Ben Stokes,
Jos Buttler,
Jack Leach
Ollie Robinson
James Anderson,
Stuart Broad

I'm uncomfortable leaving Woakes out but I'd play a spinner at the Gabba.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2021 17:50]
Pick your 11 for the Gabba on 12:54 - Dec 6 with 282 viewsmylittletown

Pick your 11 for the Gabba on 12:48 - Dec 6 by BlueandTruesince82

Quite.

Root and Stokes aside (and Root thus far hasn't exactly taken to aussie conditions) I don't see the quality in our batting line up to take us near 400 let alone past it.

The bowling unit is full of quality but not so much for the conditions.

It's all v well having been wet but will there be cloud cover? If not I don't see what help the conditions will bring? Also (could be wrong on this) but don't they use the kookaburra ball in Aus which reacts a bit differently anyway.

Hope I'm wrong but with a batting line up lacking class in the top order and a bowling unit unsuited for aussie tacks I just can't see England getting a foothold in the series

They do use the Kookaburra, although apparently, the pink version which will be used in the day/night second test at Adelaide, and possibly in the 5th Test, is better for our bowlers.

Lack of class batsmen has been our main problem for a long time.
Pick your 11 for the Gabba on 13:12 - Dec 6 with 250 viewsDennyx4

Burns
Hameed
Malan
Root
Stokes
Bairstow
Buttler
Robinson
Wood
Anderson
Leach

Think you will Wood for the pace out in Australia.

Toss up between Woakes and Robinson for number 8 - but cant afford to have too many tail enders - need to be able to bat a bit deeper into the 11.
Pick your 11 for the Gabba on 13:12 - Dec 6 with 250 viewsstonojnr

Pick your 11 for the Gabba on 12:48 - Dec 6 by BlueandTruesince82

Quite.

Root and Stokes aside (and Root thus far hasn't exactly taken to aussie conditions) I don't see the quality in our batting line up to take us near 400 let alone past it.

The bowling unit is full of quality but not so much for the conditions.

It's all v well having been wet but will there be cloud cover? If not I don't see what help the conditions will bring? Also (could be wrong on this) but don't they use the kookaburra ball in Aus which reacts a bit differently anyway.

Hope I'm wrong but with a batting line up lacking class in the top order and a bowling unit unsuited for aussie tacks I just can't see England getting a foothold in the series

thats a bit harsh on Root, he's only played 9 games there, and his was the highest average runs out of all the England team in the last series, and that included Cook scoring 244 not out.

its difficult to score lots of runs there when you are constantly going in facing the new ball against several pace bowlers and your batting partners are treating it like a T20 game.

I think we'd lose the series whoever we picked to play, I just dont think we have the depth of batting or bowling to cause any problems, weve been struggling to win games in English favourable conditions, I can see hours spent fielding in 30c+ heat is going to help.

and plus weve perennially talked about overseas tours using the 1st test as the warm up game due to the lack of decent pre series matches, well this is literally the warmup game because theyve barely played any cricket at all so far.
Pick your 11 for the Gabba on 13:13 - Dec 6 with 250 viewsjimsymBLUE

Burns
Hameed
Malan
Root
Stokes
Bairstow (I'd plump for Pope)
Butter
Woakes
Robinson
Wood
Anderson
They'll leave the spinner out if as predicted they'll be lots of interrupted sessions. Think it's a direct shootout between Pope/JB & Wood/Broad

Poll: Who is the better contributor to this site?

Pick your 11 for the Gabba on 13:56 - Dec 6 with 229 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Pick your 11 for the Gabba on 13:12 - Dec 6 by stonojnr

thats a bit harsh on Root, he's only played 9 games there, and his was the highest average runs out of all the England team in the last series, and that included Cook scoring 244 not out.

its difficult to score lots of runs there when you are constantly going in facing the new ball against several pace bowlers and your batting partners are treating it like a T20 game.

I think we'd lose the series whoever we picked to play, I just dont think we have the depth of batting or bowling to cause any problems, weve been struggling to win games in English favourable conditions, I can see hours spent fielding in 30c+ heat is going to help.

and plus weve perennially talked about overseas tours using the 1st test as the warm up game due to the lack of decent pre series matches, well this is literally the warmup game because theyve barely played any cricket at all so far.

His average in Aus is lower than any other county apart from Bangladesh (where he's played twice). The rest of the top order failing to perform might make his series look better but that doesn't change the fact that he's yet to hit his straps out there.

It further underlines how stuffed England could be out there. Root is top class and in the form of his life so let's hope that this is his series but right now what we are saying is our best bat averages 38 out there. That's a recipe for defeat to me. TBH even if Root does make runs were still up against it becaues other than Stokes there isn't much that fills me with confidence.

My money says early wickets will bring Root to tbe crease at 20 to 30 odd far more than we would like and yes, the result of that will be he under immediate pressure against a shiny ball. This time, without Cook to hang around I don't see many top order partners hanging around for him.

Root and Stokes both need to fire in at least 3 tests for England to have a chance

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024