Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Employment law solicitor 21:02 - Nov 10 with 816 viewsKungfuBlue

Hey,

Anyone recommend a decent employment law solicitor? Due to company sale I’ve just found out I’m being made redundant mid Jan. They’ve offered me a settlement package which I need to get checked and they’ve offered to pay limited legal fees as well.

Employment law solicitor on 08:52 - Nov 11 with 607 viewsPinewoodblue

Do you have legal expenses cover on your household insurance they will help?

Sounds as if they may not be following, to the letter, redundancy rules so need your consent to the settlement. Had this when company I worked for asked for a volunteer to take redundancy., just one from a small team.

Volunteered but told them the figures didn’t quite stack up, I was 15 months from retirement, ended up with more than expected. The paperwork I was asked to sign explained I was leaving by mutual consent redundancy wasn’t mentioned. They paid for solicitor to check the wording of what I was being asked to sign.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Employment law solicitor on 09:23 - Nov 11 with 574 viewsSaleAway

Employment law solicitor on 08:52 - Nov 11 by Pinewoodblue

Do you have legal expenses cover on your household insurance they will help?

Sounds as if they may not be following, to the letter, redundancy rules so need your consent to the settlement. Had this when company I worked for asked for a volunteer to take redundancy., just one from a small team.

Volunteered but told them the figures didn’t quite stack up, I was 15 months from retirement, ended up with more than expected. The paperwork I was asked to sign explained I was leaving by mutual consent redundancy wasn’t mentioned. They paid for solicitor to check the wording of what I was being asked to sign.

If there are offering anything more than statutory redundancy, which it sounds like they are, then there will be conditions attached, hence the compromise agreement. By law, the OP has to take legal advice, and the company has to pay for it ( up to a point). So, doesn't need to worry about household insurance paying for it, think they just need advice on a decent solicitor.

I live in Manchester now, so can't offer that much advice. Similar thing happened to me about 18 years ago, and used local high street solicitor, who essentially spent 30 minutes explaining to me that I was signing away any rights to wrongful/unfair dismissal, but that there was nothing else bad in there.

The main thing to understand here is: Is the correct redundancy process being followed? if you think it is unfair, then you need to consider whether you would have a case for unfair/wrongful dismissal, how long it would take to resolve, how much you might expect to be compensated, and then consider that against the settlement package that you are being offered.

Hope that helps in some way. PM if you want to discuss any more details.

Sorry that you are having to go through this, redundancies are never fun, although can often end up being quite beneficial, if the terms are good, and there are other opportunities around.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Employment law solicitor on 14:01 - Nov 11 with 436 viewsEdwardF

If you pm me I can help

Poll: Hypothetically who would you prefer as your main striker:

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024