Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Downes handed in a transfer request... 09:35 - Sep 1 with 19857 viewsITFCBlues

According to The Athletic

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:23 - Sep 1 with 3693 viewsDarth_Koont

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:16 - Sep 1 by jayessess

For the sake of the club's future I hope no-one in management is thinking like this. Since Downes is under contract and we don't need to sell then we tell him and Palace the price we'll take, the deadline we'll take it by and have it as non-negotiable.

I think for the sake of the club's future we might need to accept a halfway decent bid. Blocking a move just because we can would have a bad effect on all the youngsters who we sell Ipswich Town to as a springboard in their career.

Pronouns: He/Him

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:26 - Sep 1 with 3676 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

Is there any chance he could be loaned back to us for the season?

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:27 - Sep 1 with 3662 viewshype313

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:26 - Sep 1 by OhDavidMcgoldrick

Is there any chance he could be loaned back to us for the season?

Why? He's clearly good enough for the PL.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:27 - Sep 1 with 3661 viewsHerbivore

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:21 - Sep 1 by pointofblue

We need to go for someone who can put his foot in - yes, maybe not as cultured as Downes but someone possibly from the top of League Two who deserves a chance to move up. No idea who though! We’d have to look there due to that bloody stupid cap.

I'd honestly say the last thing we need to do with the Downes money is spend it on another CM. We've got plenty of players in that area and can still field a balanced trio even without Downes.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:29 - Sep 1 with 3639 viewsBlueBadger

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:27 - Sep 1 by hype313

Yes, but PL isn't good enough for us....

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:29 - Sep 1 with 3635 viewshype313

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:29 - Sep 1 by BlueBadger

Yes, but PL isn't good enough for us....

See what you did there, very good

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:30 - Sep 1 with 3639 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Pretty sure The Athletic is frequently wrong about us, and they don't have a good source for us. Sure I've seen Phil correct many of the stories before.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:32 - Sep 1 with 3622 viewsjayessess

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:23 - Sep 1 by Darth_Koont

I think for the sake of the club's future we might need to accept a halfway decent bid. Blocking a move just because we can would have a bad effect on all the youngsters who we sell Ipswich Town to as a springboard in their career.

Can't imagine it having any sort of effect. For most of the youngsters we recruit the possibility of making the first team and then eventually getting interest from a Premier League club is a dream. That you might have to wait until you're 22 rather than 21 wouldn't enter into it.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Login to get fewer ads

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:33 - Sep 1 with 3610 viewshaynes_toe1

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:27 - Sep 1 by hype313

I mean hes not. He won't be regularly playing for Palace this season.

More likely he signs for Palace and they loan him to a championship club
Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:34 - Sep 1 with 3612 viewsPhilTWTD

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:30 - Sep 1 by JammyDodgerrr

Pretty sure The Athletic is frequently wrong about us, and they don't have a good source for us. Sure I've seen Phil correct many of the stories before.

They haven't had a great record on Town stuff, the long bit they did wasn't particularly good. However, I'm pretty sure this is going to be right. However, they're miles off what Town would accept as things stand, last week's reported bid was still under £2 million, from what I'm told.
Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:38 - Sep 1 with 3565 viewsDarkHorse

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:18 - Sep 1 by BLUEBEAT

Less than a week ago:

Asked whether he would still be at Ipswich for the 2020/21 season, Downes, speaking to BBC Radio Suffolk, said: “Hopefully, obviously we’ll see. You can never say for sure, but hopefully I will be.”

What he actually meant was "hopefully for you I will be".
Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:40 - Sep 1 with 3554 viewshype313

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:34 - Sep 1 by PhilTWTD

They haven't had a great record on Town stuff, the long bit they did wasn't particularly good. However, I'm pretty sure this is going to be right. However, they're miles off what Town would accept as things stand, last week's reported bid was still under £2 million, from what I'm told.

£4m and he'll be off, reasonable fee for a L1 player.

Where that leaves us going into the new season is anyone's guess, but it doesn't sound like it's all champagne and roses down at Playford Road.

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:41 - Sep 1 with 3542 viewsDarth_Koont

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:32 - Sep 1 by jayessess

Can't imagine it having any sort of effect. For most of the youngsters we recruit the possibility of making the first team and then eventually getting interest from a Premier League club is a dream. That you might have to wait until you're 22 rather than 21 wouldn't enter into it.

Premier League or the Championship or somewhere else in Europe.

At present, by my reckoning, we've got probably a dozen kids and young players that don't see their careers in League One. So I think it's pretty important to show them the carrot if we're going to get the best out of them.

Just shows how important it is/was to get promoted and make sure the team's and players' ambitions align.

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:43 - Sep 1 with 3518 viewshaynes_toe1

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:40 - Sep 1 by hype313

Where that leaves us going into the new season is anyone's guess, but it doesn't sound like it's all champagne and roses down at Playford Road.

4m wouldn't be a bad fee for Downes. Especially in this covid climate.
Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:44 - Sep 1 with 3504 viewsjayessess

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:41 - Sep 1 by Darth_Koont

Premier League or the Championship or somewhere else in Europe.

At present, by my reckoning, we've got probably a dozen kids and young players that don't see their careers in League One. So I think it's pretty important to show them the carrot if we're going to get the best out of them.

Just shows how important it is/was to get promoted and make sure the team's and players' ambitions align.

The carrot's already there though! El Mizouni, Lankester and all the rest would be absolutely delighted to be in Flynn's shoes, whether or not he moves this Summer or next.

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:45 - Sep 1 with 3494 viewsJDB23

I can't wait for a CM pairing of Skuse and Nolan for the majority of the season.

Any coincidence that all summer he has been talking about wanting to stay with us and gain promotion, then all of a sudden hands in a transfer request at the time of rumours of Lambert losing the dressing room?

We'll be losing our best player and it won't free up any space whatsoever on the salary cap. This club...
Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:45 - Sep 1 with 3494 viewspointofblue

I guess my question is what has changed in a week. He knew Palace were interested in him when questioned last week and he said he’d “hopefully” still be here. Has his agent been whispering sweet nothings in his ear? Have Palace tapped him up? Has there been incidents and tension at the training ground which has made him uncomfortable and he’s now grabbing an out? Or was he just lying through his teeth to start with?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:47 - Sep 1 with 3482 viewshype313

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:45 - Sep 1 by pointofblue

I guess my question is what has changed in a week. He knew Palace were interested in him when questioned last week and he said he’d “hopefully” still be here. Has his agent been whispering sweet nothings in his ear? Have Palace tapped him up? Has there been incidents and tension at the training ground which has made him uncomfortable and he’s now grabbing an out? Or was he just lying through his teeth to start with?

Standard protocol for a contracted player to make that statement.

He has the opportunity to get 5-10x his current salary playing in the PL, who can blame him.

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:48 - Sep 1 with 3479 views26_Paz

Awful news. Our best player by some distance. Obviously destined for better things but had perhaps hoped we’d get another season out of him ... if lightning struck and we’d managed to go up would have got a lot more for him as well ...

The Paz Man

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:49 - Sep 1 with 3466 viewspointofblue

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:47 - Sep 1 by hype313

Standard protocol for a contracted player to make that statement.

He has the opportunity to get 5-10x his current salary playing in the PL, who can blame him.

Not really; not many players who want to go say they “hopefully” will be here at the start of the season. They normally bland it out with “at the moment I’m dedicated to the club and who knows what will happen” and say no more.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2020 10:49]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:49 - Sep 1 with 3458 viewsDarth_Koont

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:44 - Sep 1 by jayessess

The carrot's already there though! El Mizouni, Lankester and all the rest would be absolutely delighted to be in Flynn's shoes, whether or not he moves this Summer or next.

The carrot's not there if you demonstrate you'll block a player's move.

Note: We have no idea if that's really what's happening. And I agree that we can't just accept peanuts. But I think there needs to be a balance to keep the wider group of young players focused on the prize.

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:50 - Sep 1 with 3458 viewsPhilTWTD

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:40 - Sep 1 by hype313

Indeed, that's the sort of figure which has been suggested to me as a probable initial fee it would take with the usual top-ups thereafter.
Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:50 - Sep 1 with 3453 viewsjayessess

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:48 - Sep 1 by 26_Paz

Awful news. Our best player by some distance. Obviously destined for better things but had perhaps hoped we’d get another season out of him ... if lightning struck and we’d managed to go up would have got a lot more for him as well ...

IMO there's a strong likelihood he'll still be here when the transfer window shuts. Doesn't sound like Palace are serious about the kind of money we're looking for.

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:51 - Sep 1 with 3441 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 09:45 - Sep 1 by Herbivore

Who would you say we've sold at a low price? I think generally we've got decent value for our players, especially with add ons.

Cresswell probably went a bit cheap, however I think we were pretty unfortunate on that as we sold him very early in the window (which was sensible on the face of it to allow us time to strengthen on the back of it) and transfer fees then exploded during that window

Otherwise the likes of Wickham, Mings, Waghorn and Webster have generally gone for decent sums, and there’s evidence too from those we haven’t sold (eg. McGoldrick) that we don’t just sell at the drop of a hat

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:51 - Sep 1 with 3441 viewshype313

Downes handed in a transfer request... on 10:49 - Sep 1 by pointofblue

Not really; not many players who want to go say they “hopefully” will be here at the start of the season. They normally bland it out with “at the moment I’m dedicated to the club and who knows what will happen” and say no more.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2020 10:49]

Living in cloud cuckoo land if you think there is much difference between the two statements.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024