Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mike Ashley - damage limitation or genuine change of heart? 09:11 - Mar 27 with 1611 viewsWeWereZombies

Just heard on the news that Sports Direct's boss, as well as withdrawing his suggestion that the company are an essential supplier, is offering the delivery lorries for the supply of true essentials. It is actually a good initiative but I suspect many will see it as just a public relations stunt.

Any thoughts?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Mike Ashley - damage limitation or genuine change of heart? on 09:12 - Mar 27 with 1594 viewsmonytowbray

Stunt. I don't think the likes of him and Tim Martin do anything without a self-serving purpose.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Mike Ashley - damage limitation or genuine change of heart? on 09:14 - Mar 27 with 1582 viewsRadlett_blue

Mike Ashley - damage limitation or genuine change of heart? on 09:12 - Mar 27 by monytowbray

Stunt. I don't think the likes of him and Tim Martin do anything without a self-serving purpose.

They will find it hard to change their nature. Being relatively selfish & greedy is one of the things that has made them rich.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Mike Ashley - damage limitation or genuine change of heart? on 09:18 - Mar 27 with 1556 viewsMattinLondon

PR Stunt. You can tell by his immediate business actions the sort of person he is. He only relents when he generates bad publicity.
Mike Ashley - damage limitation or genuine change of heart? on 09:19 - Mar 27 with 1553 viewsTractorWood

He's also on the BBC for taking Newcastle's seasons tickets for next year already from STHs bank accounts.

Definitely a stunt.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Mike Ashley - damage limitation or genuine change of heart? on 09:26 - Mar 27 with 1506 viewsmonytowbray

Mike Ashley - damage limitation or genuine change of heart? on 09:14 - Mar 27 by Radlett_blue

They will find it hard to change their nature. Being relatively selfish & greedy is one of the things that has made them rich.

He’s simply adjusting his business model on the temp to keep bringing in cash, then pretending he’s doing it because he cares.

F*ck Sports Direct.

TWTD never forgets…

Mike Ashley - damage limitation or genuine change of heart? on 09:27 - Mar 27 with 1506 viewsWeWereZombies

Mike Ashley - damage limitation or genuine change of heart? on 09:19 - Mar 27 by TractorWood

He's also on the BBC for taking Newcastle's seasons tickets for next year already from STHs bank accounts.

Definitely a stunt.

Ah, that did not make it onto Radio Four headlines. I was going to suggest that situations like the one we are going through can bring about a rational change in personality but it sounds like, in this case, the leopard has not changed his spots.

Mike Ashley - damage limitation or genuine change of heart? on 10:13 - Mar 27 with 1418 viewsPendejo

Mike Ashley - damage limitation or genuine change of heart? on 09:19 - Mar 27 by TractorWood

Definitely a stunt.

Source?
Most payment plans for 19/20 will still be active
Highly unlikely that 20/21 pricing announced yet

But then I found this

https://www.themag.co.uk/2020/02/projected-2020-21-season-newcastle-united-home-

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Mike Ashley - damage limitation or genuine change of heart? on 10:33 - Mar 27 with 1385 viewsBloomBlue

I wonder how people will feel after he buys Town from Evans?
Login to get fewer ads

Mike Ashley - damage limitation or genuine change of heart? on 10:37 - Mar 27 with 1376 viewsLord_Lucan

Mike Ashley - damage limitation or genuine change of heart? on 09:14 - Mar 27 by Radlett_blue

One of the things in life I struggle with is how Tim Whatshisname built up such a huge business, he comes across as a complete thicko.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Mike Ashley - damage limitation or genuine change of heart? on 10:39 - Mar 27 with 1370 viewsmonytowbray

Mike Ashley - damage limitation or genuine change of heart? on 10:37 - Mar 27 by Lord_Lucan

One of the things in life I struggle with is how Tim Whatshisname built up such a huge business, he comes across as a complete thicko.

Some people who lack general intelligence usually have great intelligence when it comes to f*cking people over.

TWTD never forgets…

Mike Ashley - damage limitation or genuine change of heart? on 10:49 - Mar 27 with 1334 viewsWeWereZombies

Mike Ashley - damage limitation or genuine change of heart? on 10:37 - Mar 27 by Lord_Lucan

Is it his 'man of the people' act? I don't think he is the only one who plays things this way, as I get through the eight hours of 'OJ:Made In America' it becomes apparent how much of his public image was of his own making and that deep in his childhood a survival instinct kicked in that was always something he realised was best kept hidden. Wetherspoon is no thicko, he is clever enough to make the people who drink in his pubs think that they have someone on their side without preaching to them. Although dumping a magazine on the tables with the thoughts of Chairman Tim on why Brexit is reasonable is damn close to it.

But that magazine is useful to the drinkers, it gives them ammunition when they are challenged, it even has a tame Remainer trotted out at the end to give his view so that we can see how fair our mate Tim is. It all sounds like, even though he is a busy bloke, he has used his lunch hour to throw together a bit of reading material for us as we down our lonely, unbefriended pints. But then imagine how soul destroying it must be for the PR team that puts it together, I bet they even have to smile and tell him how much they have enjoyed the exercise when they present to him...

Mike Ashley - damage limitation or genuine change of heart? on 11:16 - Mar 27 with 1303 viewsmonytowbray

Mike Ashley - damage limitation or genuine change of heart? on 10:49 - Mar 27 by WeWereZombies

Is it his 'man of the people' act? I don't think he is the only one who plays things this way, as I get through the eight hours of 'OJ:Made In America' it becomes apparent how much of his public image was of his own making and that deep in his childhood a survival instinct kicked in that was always something he realised was best kept hidden. Wetherspoon is no thicko, he is clever enough to make the people who drink in his pubs think that they have someone on their side without preaching to them. Although dumping a magazine on the tables with the thoughts of Chairman Tim on why Brexit is reasonable is damn close to it.

But that magazine is useful to the drinkers, it gives them ammunition when they are challenged, it even has a tame Remainer trotted out at the end to give his view so that we can see how fair our mate Tim is. It all sounds like, even though he is a busy bloke, he has used his lunch hour to throw together a bit of reading material for us as we down our lonely, unbefriended pints. But then imagine how soul destroying it must be for the PR team that puts it together, I bet they even have to smile and tell him how much they have enjoyed the exercise when they present to him...

I've had bosses who were similar. Not loaded but certainly drilled down cultures that were complete smoke screens to self-serve. I would say "p1ssing on your back and saying it's raining" but more like "sh1tting in your mouth and telling you it's chocolate".

TWTD never forgets…

Mike Ashley - damage limitation or genuine change of heart? on 11:41 - Mar 27 with 1276 viewsuefacup81

Definite damage-limitation.

If any of what he said in his press release was true, he wouldn't have hiked prices the moment the lockdown was announced.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Mike Ashley - damage limitation or genuine change of heart? on 12:28 - Mar 27 with 1219 viewsElderGrizzly

It will be tax deductible.
Mike Ashley - damage limitation or genuine change of heart? on 12:30 - Mar 27 with 1208 viewsBluefish

Now is not the time to accuse him of a PR stunt, just accept that he is a good man doing the right thing to help others

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024