Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Julie Felix RIP 09:19 - Mar 25 with 3870 viewsfactual_blue

She won't be going to the zoo tomorrow. Anyway, it's closed.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Julie Felix RIP on 11:49 - Mar 25 with 3762 viewsFtnfwest

and 'you can't come too' either
Julie Felix RIP on 12:06 - Mar 25 with 3736 viewsRadlett_blue

I believe that irritating song was written by Tom Paxton.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Julie Felix RIP on 12:36 - Mar 25 with 3700 viewsWeWereZombies

Remember her performances on 'The Braden Beat' with fondness

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Julie Felix RIP on 12:56 - Mar 25 with 3668 viewsse20blue

Julie Felix RIP on 12:36 - Mar 25 by WeWereZombies

Remember her performances on 'The Braden Beat' with fondness

Think you mean the Frost Report.
Julie Felix RIP on 13:16 - Mar 25 with 3633 viewsfactual_blue

Julie Felix RIP on 12:06 - Mar 25 by Radlett_blue

His first name was originally Tam, you know.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Julie Felix RIP on 13:22 - Mar 25 with 3618 viewsPJH

Julie Felix RIP on 13:16 - Mar 25 by factual_blue

His first name was originally Tam, you know.

Good job his father was a chemist then-thank you wiki.
Julie Felix RIP on 13:40 - Mar 25 with 3576 viewsbobwya

She came across as a lovely, genuine lady. I met her a few years ago when s5 performed at a pub near Lincoln. She and her husband sat with my wife and I and we had quite a long chat. She had a very dry sense of humour - and she still looked good, But I'm not sure if she ever did get to that zoo.

RIP Julie
Julie Felix RIP on 14:05 - Mar 25 with 3560 viewsjeera

Julie Felix RIP on 12:06 - Mar 25 by Radlett_blue

Irritating?

I liked that song I'll have you know.

I learned all the words and everything.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Julie Felix RIP on 14:17 - Mar 25 with 3539 viewsOldsmoker

She did an afternoon 'folky' set with her hippy girlfriend on the Pyramid stage at Glastonbury in the '80's.
Everyone was calling for 'Zoo' and she said that's not part of the set but Ok she'd play it. At the end the crowd went mental.
"You could only have been children when that song was out. Oh I get it now"
It was a bit of a limp set but every song was applauded.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Julie Felix RIP on 14:22 - Mar 25 with 3529 viewsWeWereZombies

Julie Felix RIP on 12:56 - Mar 25 by se20blue

Think you mean the Frost Report.

She was on 'The Frost Report' too (as the Wikipedia page will inform you) but I liked 'On The Braden Beat' for its more softened approach (I was only eleven or twelve at the time, surprising that my Mum allowed me to stay up and watch it - must have been on Friday night). As I recall she alternated with Jake Thackeray for the weekly music slot. Both of them would, many years later, get booked for Fairport's Cropredy Convention. I think Julie Felix played the Weeley Festival but I was too cool to notice when I was sixteen, too busy getting ready to boo Marc Bolan (pop's Jonas Knudsen) for selling out...

Julie Felix RIP on 14:27 - Mar 25 with 3518 viewsOldsmoker

Julie Felix RIP on 14:22 - Mar 25 by WeWereZombies

She was on 'The Frost Report' too (as the Wikipedia page will inform you) but I liked 'On The Braden Beat' for its more softened approach (I was only eleven or twelve at the time, surprising that my Mum allowed me to stay up and watch it - must have been on Friday night). As I recall she alternated with Jake Thackeray for the weekly music slot. Both of them would, many years later, get booked for Fairport's Cropredy Convention. I think Julie Felix played the Weeley Festival but I was too cool to notice when I was sixteen, too busy getting ready to boo Marc Bolan (pop's Jonas Knudsen) for selling out...

My recollection of Weeley was that Marc Bolan was jeered a bit when he started his set but by the encore the crowd were cheering.

Julie Felix RIP on 14:36 - Mar 25 with 3503 viewsWeWereZombies

Julie Felix RIP on 14:27 - Mar 25 by Oldsmoker

My recollection of Weeley was that Marc Bolan was jeered a bit when he started his set but by the encore the crowd were cheering.

An anarchist from Sunderland tapped me on the shoulder and said I needed to give the lad a chance, to be honest I think you needed to be much nearer the front than we were to really appreciate anything on stage. But the brain dead chorus of boos was pretty emphatic around me (even when I had stopped).

Julie Felix RIP on 16:02 - Mar 25 with 3457 viewsOldsmoker

Julie Felix RIP on 14:36 - Mar 25 by WeWereZombies

An anarchist from Sunderland tapped me on the shoulder and said I needed to give the lad a chance, to be honest I think you needed to be much nearer the front than we were to really appreciate anything on stage. But the brain dead chorus of boos was pretty emphatic around me (even when I had stopped).

We were at the front and to the left, about 30 yards in front of the left-side speaker stack. That drowned out everything. We had to shout at each other to be heard over the music.
Because of where we were, it was pretty easy to get in and out and some guys behind us had a flag on a pole so we had a landmark.
We got there Thursday evening as a friends dad had to go to Clacton and we piled in the back of his van. My friend and his dad were arguing all the way there and we reassured him that it wasn't going to be anything like what he feared it would be. When we got in the traffic queue his old man told him he'd changed his mind and he was coming back to Felixstowe with him. We all jumped out, friend included, and legged it into the festival site.

Julie Felix RIP on 16:43 - Mar 25 with 3425 viewsWeWereZombies

Julie Felix RIP on 16:02 - Mar 25 by Oldsmoker

We were at the front and to the left, about 30 yards in front of the left-side speaker stack. That drowned out everything. We had to shout at each other to be heard over the music.
Because of where we were, it was pretty easy to get in and out and some guys behind us had a flag on a pole so we had a landmark.
We got there Thursday evening as a friends dad had to go to Clacton and we piled in the back of his van. My friend and his dad were arguing all the way there and we reassured him that it wasn't going to be anything like what he feared it would be. When we got in the traffic queue his old man told him he'd changed his mind and he was coming back to Felixstowe with him. We all jumped out, friend included, and legged it into the festival site.

It was something, wasn't it? I got there on the Friday lunchtime, all the way by public transport. Even caught a bus from opposite the Suffolk Punch down to Ipswich Station. On the train from Colchester to Weeley a rumour spread through the carriages like wildfire. Pink Floyd had been added to the bill! Turned out if was The Pink Fairies. But they closed the festival with an energetic set as I remember it (which is not much by that time).

Also remember sitting in an emptying field waiting for Van Der Graff Generator and scared out of my wits by a campfire gathering of Hells Angels suddenly setting up close by. I didn't know that they were just waiting for daylight and licking their wounds after a pasting from the traders. And I left at daybreak on the Monday too, to walk all the way to Jaywick where the rest of my family had a chalet for a couple of weeks. Mum handed me an envelope with my 'O' level results in. I had hoped for seven, realistic guess was five, turned out I had only managed three. Luckily was in a state to sleep through the rest of teh day.

Julie Felix RIP on 00:05 - Mar 26 with 3299 viewsOldsmoker

Julie Felix RIP on 16:43 - Mar 25 by WeWereZombies

It was something, wasn't it? I got there on the Friday lunchtime, all the way by public transport. Even caught a bus from opposite the Suffolk Punch down to Ipswich Station. On the train from Colchester to Weeley a rumour spread through the carriages like wildfire. Pink Floyd had been added to the bill! Turned out if was The Pink Fairies. But they closed the festival with an energetic set as I remember it (which is not much by that time).

Also remember sitting in an emptying field waiting for Van Der Graff Generator and scared out of my wits by a campfire gathering of Hells Angels suddenly setting up close by. I didn't know that they were just waiting for daylight and licking their wounds after a pasting from the traders. And I left at daybreak on the Monday too, to walk all the way to Jaywick where the rest of my family had a chalet for a couple of weeks. Mum handed me an envelope with my 'O' level results in. I had hoped for seven, realistic guess was five, turned out I had only managed three. Luckily was in a state to sleep through the rest of teh day.

The rumours - there were many.
I heard someone built a den from straw bales and someone set it on fire for a larf burning the occupants alive - didn't happen.
What about the explosions? I heard 2 while I was there and apparently (rumours again) it was cars blowing up because someone had put a match in the petrol tank. I did see one burnt-out car when I left the site.
I remeber Van der Graaf Generator - they were on early morning about 3am.
Best late night performance was BJH and their orchestra. I counted Mockingbird twice but they played it 3 times apparently. I was tripped off my head at the time.
Why go to Woodstock when the cream of the UK was on your doorstep.

Julie Felix RIP on 10:23 - Mar 26 with 3203 viewsWeWereZombies

Julie Felix RIP on 00:05 - Mar 26 by Oldsmoker

The rumours - there were many.
I heard someone built a den from straw bales and someone set it on fire for a larf burning the occupants alive - didn't happen.
What about the explosions? I heard 2 while I was there and apparently (rumours again) it was cars blowing up because someone had put a match in the petrol tank. I did see one burnt-out car when I left the site.
I remeber Van der Graaf Generator - they were on early morning about 3am.
Best late night performance was BJH and their orchestra. I counted Mockingbird twice but they played it 3 times apparently. I was tripped off my head at the time.
Why go to Woodstock when the cream of the UK was on your doorstep.

There is even a book by an Essex journalist, Ray Clark, called 'The Great British Woodstock - The Incredible Story of the Weeley Festival 1971':

https://recordcollectormag.com/reviews/great-british-woodstock-incredible-story-

But the guy was only there for twenty four hours (my sister gave the book for Christmas one year, it is a good read). It also got featured on The One Show (good news, the clip does not feature 'Me, Matt Baker'):

But if you really want to wallow in nostalgia (and have not already found it) get a load of this:

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/weeley-festival.html

You must have been quite close to where the 'Wally' chants started up.

Julie Felix RIP on 10:49 - Mar 26 with 3180 viewsWarkystache

Julie Felix RIP on 10:23 - Mar 26 by WeWereZombies

There is even a book by an Essex journalist, Ray Clark, called 'The Great British Woodstock - The Incredible Story of the Weeley Festival 1971':

https://recordcollectormag.com/reviews/great-british-woodstock-incredible-story-

But the guy was only there for twenty four hours (my sister gave the book for Christmas one year, it is a good read). It also got featured on The One Show (good news, the clip does not feature 'Me, Matt Baker'):

But if you really want to wallow in nostalgia (and have not already found it) get a load of this:

My dad went - they had friends who lived in Beaumont-Cum-Moze at the time and they walked there. His abiding memory is some big rocker in leathers trying to sell him 'marijuana' which turned out to be an oxo cube.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Julie Felix RIP on 20:43 - Mar 26 with 3121 viewsOldsmoker

Julie Felix RIP on 10:23 - Mar 26 by WeWereZombies

This is one of those unreal moments for me.
I've just visited the site you flagged up.
I'm not in the picture but the backs of 3 of my mates are.
I must have been on the ground skinnin' up.
The guy behind us let us have some of his nepalese temple ball.
Black but laced with white stuff - altered us and made us giggle.
When the Wally chants started up we took the p*ss and shouted Wally too.
We were young and going with the flow so I claim a pass on past misdemeanours.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024