Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone here have an allotment? 07:30 - Mar 23 with 960 viewshampstead_blue

Went to a lovely big green outside space yesterday and discovered a number of lovely allotments.

Only 5 mins from where we are.
Am keen on the 'no dig method.

Had a small one in Hampstead. Made a raised bed from old scaffold boards. Loads of leaves from the oak trees. Free topsoil (some poor) and we have lovely crops.

Anyone else partake and care to share some gems?

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Anyone here have an allotment? on 07:53 - Mar 23 with 906 viewsManchesterblue

I've had an allotment for the past 15 years, really enjoyable and a lot cheaper than a Gym,
Is there a waiting list for the Allotments, there is a good 8 months to get a plot here, so not likely to get one anytime soon,

If you are looking at a No Dig method, you need to check out youtube,

My first advise is that if you do get one, it wont be all cleared and ready to go, so if its a full 10 rod size, cover half for a year and work on only half, most people give up after a couple of months because its too much
Good luck
MB

Anyone here have an allotment? on 07:57 - Mar 23 with 898 viewstractorian

Funny you should ask. Planted the last row of earlies last week, ready to put in some beetrrot this.

My turn on the path mowing rota comes up today and will be off cutting at about 10. A bit early in the year, but down here (about 2 miles from the Severn Crosing) it's the first time since September that the grass hasn't been soaking.
Anyone here have an allotment? on 08:26 - Mar 23 with 845 viewsGuthrum

My father either had an allotment or a patch in the garden when I was young. That was how he kept the family supplied with vegetables and potatoes. Used to be down there every weekend in season.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Anyone here have an allotment? on 08:31 - Mar 23 with 833 viewsandytown

Not sure I can share any gems yet...got our first allotment last Autumn and had no idea what the no dig method was. I don’t know how many places have some horses in a field nearby and a big pile of ‘organic material’ is delivered a few times a year, which we can help ourselves from. This seems to be quite popular.
Anyone here have an allotment? on 08:40 - Mar 23 with 814 viewsManchesterblue

Anyone here have an allotment? on 08:31 - Mar 23 by andytown

Not sure I can share any gems yet...got our first allotment last Autumn and had no idea what the no dig method was. I don’t know how many places have some horses in a field nearby and a big pile of ‘organic material’ is delivered a few times a year, which we can help ourselves from. This seems to be quite popular.

It might be worth speaking to the owner of the horses to see if the horses have recently been given worming medication, you don't want to put any of that on your plot,

Anyone here have an allotment? on 08:44 - Mar 23 with 809 viewshampstead_blue

Anyone here have an allotment? on 07:53 - Mar 23 by Manchesterblue

I've had an allotment for the past 15 years, really enjoyable and a lot cheaper than a Gym,
Is there a waiting list for the Allotments, there is a good 8 months to get a plot here, so not likely to get one anytime soon,

If you are looking at a No Dig method, you need to check out youtube,

My first advise is that if you do get one, it wont be all cleared and ready to go, so if its a full 10 rod size, cover half for a year and work on only half, most people give up after a couple of months because its too much
Good luck
MB

Thanks

There is a very short list.
I've got two Green Johanna's full of compost in the garden ready to go.

No dig from what I can gather is laying down flat, clean cardboard with a little topsoil or manure on top. The worms get to work on the cardboard and hopefully the weeds will be stopped (for a while).

The spuds and chillies we have from our small plot in Hampstead were amazing.
Last year the garden was full of pots with chillies. It was very untidy.

There were three couples there yesterday all a good distance apart quaffing wine and beer. Looked like nice gentle fun.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Anyone here have an allotment? on 09:09 - Mar 23 with 772 viewsandytown

Anyone here have an allotment? on 08:40 - Mar 23 by Manchesterblue

It might be worth speaking to the owner of the horses to see if the horses have recently been given worming medication, you don't want to put any of that on your plot,

Thanks for the tip, will do. The pile does sit for a time before I take any and the people who run the allotments don’t allow slug pellets etc. so I imagine they have considered it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024