Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Excellent from Marina Hyde...... 07:46 - Mar 21 with 6778 viewsHerbivore

...... as usual: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/20/boris-johnson-covid-19-pri

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 08:02 - Mar 21 with 3499 viewsbluelagos

Spot on indeed.

A charlatan who looks out of his depth, hiding behind "following the science" as if that is an excuse for the lack of action, clear guidelines and years of austerity / under investment in the NHS that is about to give us an almighty bite in the arse.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 08:03 - Mar 21 with 3502 viewsTractorWood

Like most of her articles it's funny and well written. However, its main flaw is the flaw of most Guardian opinion pieces, its total lack of self awareness. There is an irony to lambasting someone for being middle class when addressing the Guardian readership.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 08:04 - Mar 21 with 3486 viewsNo9

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 08:02 - Mar 21 by bluelagos

Spot on indeed.

A charlatan who looks out of his depth, hiding behind "following the science" as if that is an excuse for the lack of action, clear guidelines and years of austerity / under investment in the NHS that is about to give us an almighty bite in the arse.

& it does beg the question of whether or not the advisors are paid - as advisors or as shields?
Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 08:04 - Mar 21 with 3480 viewsHerbivore

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 08:03 - Mar 21 by TractorWood

Like most of her articles it's funny and well written. However, its main flaw is the flaw of most Guardian opinion pieces, its total lack of self awareness. There is an irony to lambasting someone for being middle class when addressing the Guardian readership.

That's not what she's doing.

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 08:07 - Mar 21 with 3474 viewsbluelagos

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 08:03 - Mar 21 by TractorWood

The thrust of it is that in times like these, you need a leader who is trust worthy, of decent integrity and who is highly capable.

None of those apply to BJ. If I were a leading tory - I'd be looking to get rid asap. Fck this one up and it's more than being a bit behind in the polls.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 08:17 - Mar 21 with 3426 viewslowhouseblue

i understand the guardian already has two months of her columns stock piled in advance ready for any emergency.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 08:18 - Mar 21 with 3415 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 08:07 - Mar 21 by bluelagos

The thrust of it is that in times like these, you need a leader who is trust worthy, of decent integrity and who is highly capable.

None of those apply to BJ. If I were a leading tory - I'd be looking to get rid asap. Fck this one up and it's more than being a bit behind in the polls.

A seriously hard core old school Tory I work for was criticising Hunt for sniping from the back benches....."He's not to be trusted." he said.... I doffed my cap and bid him good day!
[Post edited 21 Mar 2020 8:26]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 08:21 - Mar 21 with 3404 viewsTractorWood

Agree. I don't disagree with any of its content and think it's witty and at points vividly accurate.

However, it's pretty vitriolic and to me a bit abrasive. There are also a few paras where there are lots of words but doesn't really make any points. Goes back to the self awareness point when calling BoJo a waffler.

The only thing I'd say is the guy won a massive majority a few months ago. So asking for a different leader now is like asking for your Christmas presents at Halloween.

Login to get fewer ads

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 08:23 - Mar 21 with 3397 viewsHerbivore

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 08:21 - Mar 21 by TractorWood

Agree. I don't disagree with any of its content and think it's witty and at points vividly accurate.

However, it's pretty vitriolic and to me a bit abrasive. There are also a few paras where there are lots of words but doesn't really make any points. Goes back to the self awareness point when calling BoJo a waffler.

The only thing I'd say is the guy won a massive majority a few months ago. So asking for a different leader now is like asking for your Christmas presents at Halloween.

You seem to be quite spectacularly missing the point or at least wilfully not engaging with it.

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 08:24 - Mar 21 with 3390 viewsNo9

Mr Johnson is a waffler
Watch him at the dispatch box
Not a leader but a front man for a questionable organisationw ith a well paid puppet master.
Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 08:28 - Mar 21 with 3372 viewsTractorWood

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 08:24 - Mar 21 by No9

Mr Johnson is a waffler
Watch him at the dispatch box
Not a leader but a front man for a questionable organisationw ith a well paid puppet master.

Agree bit there is any irony to a calling someone a waffler in a massive, vitriolic rant.

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 08:29 - Mar 21 with 3370 viewsTractorWood

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 08:23 - Mar 21 by Herbivore

You seem to be quite spectacularly missing the point or at least wilfully not engaging with it.

She doesn't really make any points. Nothing new anyway.

Shock as Herbivore puts up Guardian article and shuts down any negative points.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2020 8:30]

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 08:45 - Mar 21 with 3310 viewsHerbivore

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 08:29 - Mar 21 by TractorWood

She doesn't really make any points. Nothing new anyway.

Shock as Herbivore puts up Guardian article and shuts down any negative points.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2020 8:30]

She makes lots of points. You're just ignoring them and wetting your pants that she said some unkind things about the Prime Minister. You seem to be missing the point that it's fine for Marina Hyde to waffle a bit, she's just a journalist giving an opinion in a newspaper. Boris Johnson is PM, it's reasonable to expect more from him. If Marina Hyde was in high office you might have more of a point, as it is you seem to just be howling at the moon.

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 09:00 - Mar 21 with 3288 viewsStokieBlue

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 08:45 - Mar 21 by Herbivore

She makes lots of points. You're just ignoring them and wetting your pants that she said some unkind things about the Prime Minister. You seem to be missing the point that it's fine for Marina Hyde to waffle a bit, she's just a journalist giving an opinion in a newspaper. Boris Johnson is PM, it's reasonable to expect more from him. If Marina Hyde was in high office you might have more of a point, as it is you seem to just be howling at the moon.

I think it's a bit harsh.

This is a once-in-a-century event and I am sure the government are extremely busy trying to cope. If some of the communication is a bit waffling then that's better than them spending ages on delivery and no time on execution. The situation is constantly moving, many world leaders haven't been clear. The other day Macron said there would be no lockdown then implemented a total lockdown 6 hours later.

Boris is far from perfect but he is what we have at the moment and the Tories are trying to get things done in a constantly moving situation. I don't think this type of stuff is particularly helpful.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 09:03 - Mar 21 with 3278 viewsEwan_Oozami

He got a massive majority thanks to seat targeting under FPTP, it doesn't mean the majority of people voted for him personally.

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 09:08 - Mar 21 with 3267 viewsBlueNomad

A friend of mine got upset with mild criticism of Johnson yesterday, saying he couldn’t think of a better person to lead us through this crisis. This from a man who has managed critical incidents. I had also acknowledged that this situation was beyond anyone’s imagination and therefore a nightmare to take charge of.

Strange
[Post edited 21 Mar 2020 9:09]
Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 09:09 - Mar 21 with 3259 viewsHerbivore

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 09:00 - Mar 21 by StokieBlue

This is a once-in-a-century event and I am sure the government are extremely busy trying to cope. If some of the communication is a bit waffling then that's better than them spending ages on delivery and no time on execution. The situation is constantly moving, many world leaders haven't been clear. The other day Macron said there would be no lockdown then implemented a total lockdown 6 hours later.

Boris is far from perfect but he is what we have at the moment and the Tories are trying to get things done in a constantly moving situation. I don't think this type of stuff is particularly helpful.

SB

It's journalism. I don't see any real issue with it and I make her right on a number of points.

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 09:16 - Mar 21 with 3242 viewsGuthrum

It's interesting to compare him with Churchill. One was politically untrustworthy, had been wrong (damagingly so) on several key issues, was prone to impractical ideas, had a habit of rubbing people up the wrong way, rested on his talents of authorship, but had a knack for delivering good soundbites (if sometimes rather waffly). The other is Boris Johnson.

Everybody remembers Churchill standing strong in 1940. But they forget two years later when he was nearly overthrown because things were falling to pieces under his leadership. Or the memoirs of his advisers who were nearly driven to mental breakdown trying to keep him on track.

Johnson is not a great leader, by any means. But neither is he that bad (c.f. Trump) and, as always, the UK's strong structures (with which somewhere like Italy is less well endowed) will help carry us - and him - through.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 09:26 - Mar 21 with 3220 viewsSwansea_Blue

She's cutting, that's all. It's not a lack of self-awareness to call Boris a waffler - she admits spin and waffle are the tools of columnists like Boris and her:

I don’t want to spaff what we might euphemise as my own area of expertise too early, but trust me on this: he is hardwired to spin that sh*t out for 1150 words

Juicily ironically her message isn't simply put, but it is obvious:

JUST TELL US THE INFORMATION ...The government’s inability to clearly define essential terms means we are in a situation where “self-isolating” demonstrably means a range of things to different people. Same with “social distancing”.

She's spot on - we've seen many examples on here of people asking what self-isolating and social distancing mean in practice, or interpreting them in different ways.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2020 9:34]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This article also tickled me on 10:12 - Mar 21 with 3171 viewsGuthrum

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/21/britain-has-always-relishe

I think we might get some Covid-19 dramas/fiction afterwards, but it rather lacks the potential of a major war for action and heroism.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 11:55 - Mar 21 with 3059 viewsGlasgowBlue

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 09:00 - Mar 21 by StokieBlue

SB

Too many people using this crisis to settle old scores and prejudice imo.

Noting wrong with fair and constructive criticism but it's noticeable, with a few surprisingly honourable exceptions, that most of those criticising Johnson's actions, style and handling of this situation are the same anti Johnson/Tory mob.

He may not be the PM that many of us want but he is the PM that all of us have.

There will plenty of time, when this crisis is over, to hold a public inquiry of the government's handling of this but now isn't the time to score points for the sake of it.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 12:02 - Mar 21 with 3036 viewsTrequartista

Well-written, amusing, and completely misjudging the mood of the nation.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 12:07 - Mar 21 with 3024 viewsfactual_blue

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 09:08 - Mar 21 by BlueNomad

A friend of mine got upset with mild criticism of Johnson yesterday, saying he couldn’t think of a better person to lead us through this crisis. This from a man who has managed critical incidents. I had also acknowledged that this situation was beyond anyone’s imagination and therefore a nightmare to take charge of.

Strange
[Post edited 21 Mar 2020 9:09]

Although it's actually Vallance and Whitty who are doing all the work.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 12:14 - Mar 21 with 3003 viewsvapour_trail

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 11:55 - Mar 21 by GlasgowBlue

Too many people using this crisis to settle old scores and prejudice imo.

Noting wrong with fair and constructive criticism but it's noticeable, with a few surprisingly honourable exceptions, that most of those criticising Johnson's actions, style and handling of this situation are the same anti Johnson/Tory mob.

He may not be the PM that many of us want but he is the PM that all of us have.

There will plenty of time, when this crisis is over, to hold a public inquiry of the government's handling of this but now isn't the time to score points for the sake of it.

It’s critical that flaws in the governments approach are highlighted now, and not reserved for the inevitable deep dives that emerge in calmer times.

The lack of planning form the DfE for example, when we all knew that school closures were coming for weeks, has been appalling.

The communication from government has been inadequate.

These things need calling out, and labelling this on an anti Johnson/tory mob, is a lot more unhelpful than what you are describing.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 12:18 - Mar 21 with 2993 viewsfactual_blue

Excellent from Marina Hyde...... on 08:04 - Mar 21 by No9

& it does beg the question of whether or not the advisors are paid - as advisors or as shields?

If you mean The Chief Scientific Advisor and the Chief Medical Office, they are both Civil Service appointments.

Interesting that cummings has disappeared from the scene.

Presumably he continues his catamite's relationship with boris, although which of them is the giver and which the receiver I can't decide.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024