Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? 16:44 - Mar 8 with 3594 viewsWeWereZombies

Firstly the Fisons collective thing, cannot remember the exact composition now.

Then Sheepshanks and co.

And now marcusevans group.

Reason for this enquiry is to assert that there was some continuity of the club as an entity for the Town and the county beyond, perhaps even a little bit of that Corinthian ideal the Cobbolds espoused. Now, however it is dressed up, it seems to me that, as Paul Hurst let slip in his first interview in post, it is a business first and a club a very distant second. And therein lies the problem as it induces a conformity to financial necessity that far outweighs spirit and a shared aim between manager, team and supporters.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 16:54 - Mar 8 with 3561 viewsbazgammon

The Cobbolds and Sheepy were not owners they were directors. Sheepy took a wage from the club but never invested any of his own money into the club. Took us into admin and sold the club to Evans. He instigated the decline but many see him as some kind of 'good leader'. Try telling that to businesses who got 10p for every pound they were owed by the club when Sheepshanks took the club into admin. Still he got a cushy job with the FA and has the audacity to lecture people on leadership... https://vistage.co.uk/about-vistage/
[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 17:04]

Poll: Lambert

Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 17:03 - Mar 8 with 3528 viewsElephantintheRoom

No the Cobbolds were sort of trustees of the club - never owners. The passed the baton on to other directors of middling to low ability, culminating in the awful Sheepshanks using the club as a vehcile to climb the greasy pole at the FA.

If anything the new owners were the fans who bought into share ownership when the club went belly up under Sheepshanks... every fan who gave a few hundred pounds was a bit-part owner and technically still is.

Sheepshanks piloted the club onto the rocks and was desperate to sell, even bequeathing the club to a fantasist before selling out to the offshore spiv. iso he could take over at the FA.... he ended up with egg on his face but still weasled his way into 'running' St George's Park.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 18:53 - Mar 8 with 3368 viewsOxford_Blue

Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 16:54 - Mar 8 by bazgammon

The Cobbolds and Sheepy were not owners they were directors. Sheepy took a wage from the club but never invested any of his own money into the club. Took us into admin and sold the club to Evans. He instigated the decline but many see him as some kind of 'good leader'. Try telling that to businesses who got 10p for every pound they were owed by the club when Sheepshanks took the club into admin. Still he got a cushy job with the FA and has the audacity to lecture people on leadership... https://vistage.co.uk/about-vistage/

Burley - another sacred cow - also must take the blame. He made footballing decisions that took us from 5th and a point or two off the Champions League to administration.
Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 19:00 - Mar 8 with 3342 viewsMattinLondon

Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 16:54 - Mar 8 by bazgammon

Another view is that Sheepy backed just managers judgement with some rather expensive signings which didn’t work. Also you forgot to mention the collapse of ITV Digital which cost the club millions.
Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 19:01 - Mar 8 with 3335 viewsMattinLondon

Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 17:03 - Mar 8 by ElephantintheRoom

No the Cobbolds were sort of trustees of the club - never owners. The passed the baton on to other directors of middling to low ability, culminating in the awful Sheepshanks using the club as a vehcile to climb the greasy pole at the FA.

If anything the new owners were the fans who bought into share ownership when the club went belly up under Sheepshanks... every fan who gave a few hundred pounds was a bit-part owner and technically still is.

Sheepshanks piloted the club onto the rocks and was desperate to sell, even bequeathing the club to a fantasist before selling out to the offshore spiv. iso he could take over at the FA.... he ended up with egg on his face but still weasled his way into 'running' St George's Park.

What a load of rubbish.
Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 20:35 - Mar 8 with 3159 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Fisons were Club sponsors but never owned the Club in any shape or form.

The Club was historically owned by the Cobbold family, who over the years sold some of their shares to the likes of David Sheepshanks, John Kerr etc. Sheepshanks had a decent percentage of shares but was never a majority shareholder so never owned the Club as such.

From recollection a load of new shares were created when Evans bought the Club so that he became an 87.5% shareholder and therefore effectively owns the Club.

Poll: On 14th April 2020, will we be

Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 21:06 - Mar 8 with 3096 viewsIllinoisblue

Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 18:53 - Mar 8 by Oxford_Blue

Burley - another sacred cow - also must take the blame. He made footballing decisions that took us from 5th and a point or two off the Champions League to administration.

Andy Marshall possibly his biggest mistake.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 21:12 - Mar 8 with 3075 viewsjeera

Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 18:53 - Mar 8 by Oxford_Blue

Not having that.

Burley was a manager not a director.

What went on behind the scenes wasn't his remit.

He gave the club a sense of pride that grabbed the nation's attention. We were back on the map because of that man and our footballing style.

Mitts off pal.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 21:13]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 21:14 - Mar 8 with 3067 viewsOxford_Blue

Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 21:12 - Mar 8 by jeera

Not having that.

He gave the club a sense of pride that grabbed the nation's attention. We were back on the map because of that man and our footballing style.

Mitts off pal.

He made decisions that caused the relegation of the team which led to administration.

He chose to bring in those players on big salaries and he has even admitted subsequently it was a mistake. That doesn’t mean he didn’t achieve a lot and won’t be remembered as giving the club some great times. But if Sheepshanks is going to be criticised then the point needs to be made that Burley made the decisions about playing staff.
Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 21:15 - Mar 8 with 3060 viewsOxford_Blue

Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 21:06 - Mar 8 by Illinoisblue

Andy Marshall possibly his biggest mistake.

Finidi, Amir Karic, Le Pen .....
Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 21:17 - Mar 8 with 3051 viewsjeera

Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 21:14 - Mar 8 by Oxford_Blue

He made decisions that caused the relegation of the team which led to administration.

He chose to bring in those players on big salaries and he has even admitted subsequently it was a mistake. That doesn’t mean he didn’t achieve a lot and won’t be remembered as giving the club some great times. But if Sheepshanks is going to be criticised then the point needs to be made that Burley made the decisions about playing staff.

Don't care.

The thread is about ownership.

Burley grafted for 5 years to get us promoted so don't just dismiss that to focus on his perceived mistakes whilst in the Prem.

His tenure wasn't all about those 2 years, one of which was a damn fine success.

Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 21:18 - Mar 8 with 3046 viewsjeera

Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 21:15 - Mar 8 by Oxford_Blue

Finidi, Amir Karic, Le Pen .....

Is that how it works?

You list signings that didn't work as well as others?

I've seen you [rightly] defend the exact same argument regarding Mick.

Edited: too excitable.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2020 10:39]

Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 22:14 - Mar 8 with 2973 viewsBloomBlue

Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 21:12 - Mar 8 by jeera

Not having that.

Mitts off pal.

We were certainly on the map and got the nations attention after relegation from the Prem the season after finishing 5th
Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 22:14 - Mar 8 with 2973 viewsWeWereZombies

I phrased that first sentence badly, but this is the value of giving some air to our inner thoughts, misconceptions get corrected. Perhaps I could do again with the concept that there have been four phases of controlling entity for Ipswich Town F.C.

The Cobbold association goes right back to the founding in 1878 when Col. John Cobbold was the club's first President. After turning professional in 1936 the club was firmly under the stewardship of the Cobbold family, especially 'Mr. John' and 'Mr. Patrick' in the glory years. But even as the club flourished the Tolly Cobbold business became strangely moribund and was bought by Ellerman Lines in 1977 (who had not one but two ships named 'Lesbian', one sunk by a U-Boat during the First World War and the second seized and scuttled by the Vichy French) and then sold on to the well known tax exile (according to the Guardian) Barclay Brothers in 1983 who sold the brewers to SFO investigated Brent Walker in 1989. Phew.

As Tolly Cobbold waned so too did the influence and presence of the Cobbolds on the Ipswich Town board, Other local businessmen featured more and John Kerr was the prominent amongst these, as was John Kerridge who was also a board member at Fisons who for much of that time were the main sponsors.

In 1995 David Sheepshanks was appointed chairman and we enter the era of five year plans. But also a slight return to the glory years and an even more lucrative play-off final. These are heady times for the club and football in general as the gravy train from the Premier League founded in 1992 started to seep into English football but especially into the top division. Supporters do not experience the full effect of separation between the Premier and the Football League at first as promotion and relegation seem to be more thrilling events without the cliff edge impact that was to manifest itself in the 2010s. But Ipswich are one of three clubs to severely hit by the collapse of On Digital and administration follows.

In 2007 the double edged sword of white knight marcusevans group invests £44 million saving the club but appearing to concentrate the decision making into the hands of one man.

[edit] Details of John Kerridge added - see correcting posts from southnorfolkblue
[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 22:39]

Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 22:20 - Mar 8 with 2955 viewsjeera

Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 22:14 - Mar 8 by BloomBlue

We were certainly on the map and got the nations attention after relegation from the Prem the season after finishing 5th

Were we also on the map for not winning the Uefa cup the year after we won it?

Or in 1979 for it being the year after we won the FA cup?

Edited: bit strong.
[Post edited 9 Mar 2020 10:38]

Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 22:22 - Mar 8 with 2948 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 22:14 - Mar 8 by WeWereZombies

I phrased that first sentence badly, but this is the value of giving some air to our inner thoughts, misconceptions get corrected. Perhaps I could do again with the concept that there have been four phases of controlling entity for Ipswich Town F.C.

The Cobbold association goes right back to the founding in 1878 when Col. John Cobbold was the club's first President. After turning professional in 1936 the club was firmly under the stewardship of the Cobbold family, especially 'Mr. John' and 'Mr. Patrick' in the glory years. But even as the club flourished the Tolly Cobbold business became strangely moribund and was bought by Ellerman Lines in 1977 (who had not one but two ships named 'Lesbian', one sunk by a U-Boat during the First World War and the second seized and scuttled by the Vichy French) and then sold on to the well known tax exile (according to the Guardian) Barclay Brothers in 1983 who sold the brewers to SFO investigated Brent Walker in 1989. Phew.

As Tolly Cobbold waned so too did the influence and presence of the Cobbolds on the Ipswich Town board, Other local businessmen featured more and John Kerr was the prominent amongst these, as was John Kerridge who was also a board member at Fisons who for much of that time were the main sponsors.

In 1995 David Sheepshanks was appointed chairman and we enter the era of five year plans. But also a slight return to the glory years and an even more lucrative play-off final. These are heady times for the club and football in general as the gravy train from the Premier League founded in 1992 started to seep into English football but especially into the top division. Supporters do not experience the full effect of separation between the Premier and the Football League at first as promotion and relegation seem to be more thrilling events without the cliff edge impact that was to manifest itself in the 2010s. But Ipswich are one of three clubs to severely hit by the collapse of On Digital and administration follows.

In 2007 the double edged sword of white knight marcusevans group invests £44 million saving the club but appearing to concentrate the decision making into the hands of one man.

[edit] Details of John Kerridge added - see correcting posts from southnorfolkblue

John Kerr had nothing to do with Fisons. He owned Easton Farm Park.

Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 22:29 - Mar 8 with 2921 viewsWeWereZombies

Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 22:22 - Mar 8 by southnorfolkblue

John Kerr had nothing to do with Fisons. He owned Easton Farm Park.

Are you sure? I thought he was on their board (it is possible for a businessman to have more than one interest). I was on a course with someone who had recently been working in Fisons tax department in the early 1980s but I will accept that ex-employees can be unreliable sources. If not Kerr I'm sure Town had someone from Fisons on the board - but it's too late on a Sunday evening to start reading through old programmes. And Match of the Day Two is about to start.

Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 22:30 - Mar 8 with 2919 viewsRadlett_blue

Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 22:14 - Mar 8 by WeWereZombies

The days of boards of directors, usually local businessmen and widely spread share ownership are pretty much gone from English football. Now, it's entrepreneurs, often from overseas, who see owning an English football club (preferably one with designs on reaching the Premier League) as an expensive vanity project, as pretty much all the clubs lose money each year.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 22:31 - Mar 8 with 2910 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 22:29 - Mar 8 by WeWereZombies

Are you sure? I thought he was on their board (it is possible for a businessman to have more than one interest). I was on a course with someone who had recently been working in Fisons tax department in the early 1980s but I will accept that ex-employees can be unreliable sources. If not Kerr I'm sure Town had someone from Fisons on the board - but it's too late on a Sunday evening to start reading through old programmes. And Match of the Day Two is about to start.

You’re getting confused with John Kerridge, who was Fisons CEO and a Club director. Easy mistake to make!

Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 22:34 - Mar 8 with 2897 viewsWeWereZombies

Owners since the Cobbolds - am I right in thinking it is three? on 22:31 - Mar 8 by southnorfolkblue

You’re getting confused with John Kerridge, who was Fisons CEO and a Club director. Easy mistake to make!

You are absolutely right, apologies. Will edit that post.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024