Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Magilton on being sacked by Evans... 13:48 - Feb 24 with 5549 viewsVeryStableGenius

Just when I thought that Evans couldn't lose any more of my respect...

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/jim-magilton-interview-in-north

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 13:58 - Feb 24 with 4920 viewsr2d2

This was flagged up at the weekend. Jim certainly wont be back here whilst Evans owns this club.
Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 14:01 - Feb 24 with 4900 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Remember at how we all laughed at the people saying soon after Evans bought the club that it was just to raise his profile for the upcoming Olympics and that he didn't mind ITFC running at a loss because the profile he got from us allowed his other businesses to grow in value well beyond how much he lost here.

Likewise, the nutters who said Clegg being appointed wasn't for footballing reasons, that Evans had no real interest in the club, he just wanted any club to help raise his profile and he would be a disaster for us.

Oh how we laughed.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 14:04 - Feb 24 with 4869 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Speaking to an owner through a screen, still very much in the same mould isn't it?

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 14:15 - Feb 24 with 4806 viewsPhilTWTD

Re the sacking over the phone, Simon Clegg spoke about it on the day it happened. There was a meeting planned for the morning of the sacking but Jim went back to Northern Ireland the evening before and with Keane's appointment likely to break, the call was made by ME (SC only having been appointed a day previously). It was far from ideal, as they admitted, but the intention was for a face to face meeting.
Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 14:19 - Feb 24 with 4737 viewsITFC_Forever

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 13:58 - Feb 24 by r2d2

This was flagged up at the weekend. Jim certainly wont be back here whilst Evans owns this club.

It was common knowledge at the time, never mind the weekend.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 14:23 - Feb 24 with 4710 viewsPhilTWTD

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 14:19 - Feb 24 by ITFC_Forever

It was common knowledge at the time, never mind the weekend.

Indeed:

Clegg: Town Closing in On New Manager 22nd Apr 2009 16:40
Chief executive Simon Clegg says Town are close to being able to name the successor to sacked manager Jim Magilton. Clegg says the Blues could make an announcement before the end of the week. 0

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 14:24 - Feb 24 with 4684 viewsDeano69

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 14:15 - Feb 24 by PhilTWTD

Re the sacking over the phone, Simon Clegg spoke about it on the day it happened. There was a meeting planned for the morning of the sacking but Jim went back to Northern Ireland the evening before and with Keane's appointment likely to break, the call was made by ME (SC only having been appointed a day previously). It was far from ideal, as they admitted, but the intention was for a face to face meeting.

and if Evans insisted JM left the bedside of his sick mother to attend a meeting to be sacked, it would have been equally as bad.

If the decision is made, it left little choice but to have a phone call. Cant leave that sort of decision in limbo.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 14:27 - Feb 24 with 4663 viewsRadlett_blue

I always thought Jim would manage Niron at some stage of his career. Hope it goes well for him & I guess he's probably matured somewhat.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 14:30 - Feb 24 with 4644 viewsskyblue23

I'd have him back in a heart beat

Poll: Paul Lambert moves on, would you be happy if Jim Magilton was given another go?

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 14:32 - Feb 24 with 4625 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 14:30 - Feb 24 by skyblue23

I'd have him back in a heart beat

Same here.

He'd be ahead of Nolan, Skuse and Dozzell.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 14:54 - Feb 24 with 4535 viewsPilgrimblue

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 14:01 - Feb 24 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Remember at how we all laughed at the people saying soon after Evans bought the club that it was just to raise his profile for the upcoming Olympics and that he didn't mind ITFC running at a loss because the profile he got from us allowed his other businesses to grow in value well beyond how much he lost here.

Likewise, the nutters who said Clegg being appointed wasn't for footballing reasons, that Evans had no real interest in the club, he just wanted any club to help raise his profile and he would be a disaster for us.

Oh how we laughed.

Can it get any worse!!

It's all coming true but how can we rid ourselves of ME? The frightening thing is that he probably wont care if the Club fails as it'll just be final tax loss.

Surely he'll want out soon but who's going to finance going forward? Ipswich supporter with good football connections and loads of money! Can only think of one.
Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 15:19 - Feb 24 with 4416 viewsVeryStableGenius

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 14:15 - Feb 24 by PhilTWTD

I have fully accepted the story that we have previously been told about the circumstances around the sacking and the fact that it had been complicated by JM's untimely trip to Northern Ireland. What I (we) didn't know was that Evans had already primed the media and clearly sanctioned the news release as he spoke to Jim in real-time - knowing that he was in hospital with his mother in intensive care. I just can't accept that that needed to happen.
Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 15:50 - Feb 24 with 4299 viewsWeWereZombies

Best of luck to Sideways JIm, hope he gets the Norn Ireland job.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 16:07 - Feb 24 with 4231 viewsFenland_Blue

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 14:01 - Feb 24 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Oh how we laughed.

Poor old Brian Knights speech against Evans taking over was scoffed and laughed at, how right he turned out to be.

Up and mainly down, following Town since 88

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 13:57 - Feb 25 with 3665 viewsPhilTWTD

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 15:19 - Feb 24 by VeryStableGenius

I have fully accepted the story that we have previously been told about the circumstances around the sacking and the fact that it had been complicated by JM's untimely trip to Northern Ireland. What I (we) didn't know was that Evans had already primed the media and clearly sanctioned the news release as he spoke to Jim in real-time - knowing that he was in hospital with his mother in intensive care. I just can't accept that that needed to happen.

The latter isn't true, the media hadn't been primed at that stage, although obviously the plans for the appointment had been made. The news re Keane filtered out via unofficial sources before being officially announced a day later.
Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 17:06 - Feb 25 with 3423 viewsSwansea_Blue

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 14:23 - Feb 24 by PhilTWTD

Indeed:

Clegg: Town Closing in On New Manager 22nd Apr 2009 16:40
Chief executive Simon Clegg says Town are close to being able to name the successor to sacked manager Jim Magilton. Clegg says the Blues could make an announcement before the end of the week. 0

So annoying. It's hard to imagine anyone on that shortlist being less suited to us than Keane.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 17:10 - Feb 25 with 3408 viewsRadlett_blue

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 17:06 - Feb 25 by Swansea_Blue

So annoying. It's hard to imagine anyone on that shortlist being less suited to us than Keane.

Hmm...at the time, Keane had got Sunderland promoted & kept them in the PL for a season, so not hard to see why Evans saw him as a "winner" and potentially a good manager. I'm sure he would also have interviewed well & come across as hungry for success.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 19:54 - Feb 25 with 3186 viewsstonojnr

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 17:10 - Feb 25 by Radlett_blue

Hmm...at the time, Keane had got Sunderland promoted & kept them in the PL for a season, so not hard to see why Evans saw him as a "winner" and potentially a good manager. I'm sure he would also have interviewed well & come across as hungry for success.

absolutely, plus you only had to see his first press conference, the place was packed with national media, it was felt with Evans money to spend we might start to attract players of real star quality through Keanes presence.

and people seem to have forgotten, Magilton had only mentioned he wanted to take up coaching during his last playing season at town and actually expected to retire and go off and earn his coaching badges back in NI, his only assets that led to him being appointed as manager when Joe Royle left was he was very cheap and he already knew all the players names, we actually appointed Klug alongside him to work as the coach.

and Magilton spent that first season in charge, just like he'd done as a player on the pitch, shouting and bawling out anyone who did anything wrong, or that he felt he could have done better himself, which is fine when you are a player, fine maybe even as captain, it doesnt work as a manager, long term you end up actually exactly as Keane turned out, its just Keanes personality resulted in that happening quicker.
Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 21:52 - Feb 25 with 3034 viewsrgp1

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 19:54 - Feb 25 by stonojnr

absolutely, plus you only had to see his first press conference, the place was packed with national media, it was felt with Evans money to spend we might start to attract players of real star quality through Keanes presence.

and people seem to have forgotten, Magilton had only mentioned he wanted to take up coaching during his last playing season at town and actually expected to retire and go off and earn his coaching badges back in NI, his only assets that led to him being appointed as manager when Joe Royle left was he was very cheap and he already knew all the players names, we actually appointed Klug alongside him to work as the coach.

and Magilton spent that first season in charge, just like he'd done as a player on the pitch, shouting and bawling out anyone who did anything wrong, or that he felt he could have done better himself, which is fine when you are a player, fine maybe even as captain, it doesnt work as a manager, long term you end up actually exactly as Keane turned out, its just Keanes personality resulted in that happening quicker.

Under Magilton we played pretty football but powder puff with no impact! I guess some things never change.
Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 22:03 - Feb 25 with 2972 viewssparks

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 21:52 - Feb 25 by rgp1

Under Magilton we played pretty football but powder puff with no impact! I guess some things never change.

thats not actually true.

We played effective football- which turned around a side spiralling towards relegation the previous year, from scratch, into playoff contenders- but fell a little short. We were effective and vey tough to beat at home. In the final season, he moved towards a more counter attacking approach (with frankly limited attacking resources such as Lisbie) in an attempt to address our poorer away form. Got the balance wrong- and started to struggle at home.

Stronlgy suspect he would have addressed that in the close season.

Lets not forget that he was the last Town manager to beat Norwich. Which is shocking.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 22:27 - Feb 25 with 2855 viewsrgp1

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 22:03 - Feb 25 by sparks

thats not actually true.

We played effective football- which turned around a side spiralling towards relegation the previous year, from scratch, into playoff contenders- but fell a little short. We were effective and vey tough to beat at home. In the final season, he moved towards a more counter attacking approach (with frankly limited attacking resources such as Lisbie) in an attempt to address our poorer away form. Got the balance wrong- and started to struggle at home.

Lets not forget that he was the last Town manager to beat Norwich. Which is shocking.

Yes but we lacked a physical approach like we do now. The team had no height for example as we had players like Byron Lawrence and Alan Quinn, technically good players but standing at 2 foot 6!
Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 22:30 - Feb 25 with 2831 viewsSwansea_Blue

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 17:10 - Feb 25 by Radlett_blue

The very public breakdown was the giveaway that he might not be cutout for it. Besides, he’d been a head case his whole career so it was obvious he was no fit for a relatively sleepy family club. It was predicted that he was a bad fit.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 22:36 - Feb 25 with 2809 viewssparks

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 22:27 - Feb 25 by rgp1

Yes but we lacked a physical approach like we do now. The team had no height for example as we had players like Byron Lawrence and Alan Quinn, technically good players but standing at 2 foot 6!

Hardly essential if you can dominate possession- which he had shown his teams could do.

Will never forget us passing an oppoonent to death for 45 minutes without scoring and the boos at half time by igorant idiots. Almost inevitably, spaces opened second half and we won two nil. Comfortably. And people complained it was a poor performance. That is the attitude we battle against.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 22:36 - Feb 25 with 2809 viewsrgp1

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 22:03 - Feb 25 by sparks

thats not actually true.

I wasn't expecting Magilton to be sacked to be honest. I thought by the time he left the bed sheet protests had finished and I fully expected Evan's to give him the funds for a serious promotion push. I was lucky enough to go to every home and away game that season, however from memory whilst we were hard to beat at home we never seemed to earn our right to play away from home and often got all too easily brushed aside, indeed I seem to remember we had to wait till February for an away win at Sheffield Wednesday!
Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 22:39 - Feb 25 with 2800 viewssparks

Magilton on being sacked by Evans... on 22:36 - Feb 25 by rgp1

I wasn't expecting Magilton to be sacked to be honest. I thought by the time he left the bed sheet protests had finished and I fully expected Evan's to give him the funds for a serious promotion push. I was lucky enough to go to every home and away game that season, however from memory whilst we were hard to beat at home we never seemed to earn our right to play away from home and often got all too easily brushed aside, indeed I seem to remember we had to wait till February for an away win at Sheffield Wednesday!

He was treated disgustingly by Evans and mor eimrpotantly by fans.

I nearly had a fight with some idiot who repeatedly called him an "irish C-unit" throughout the last match I went to at PR (whenever a player, god forbid, played an imperfect pass).

Havent been back until last weekend.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024