Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed 15:33 - Feb 21 with 2688 viewsitfcjoe

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 15:39 - Feb 21 with 2647 viewsunstableblue

You’re obsessed Joe!

Tommy’s left sided; we have The Wolf!

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 15:43 - Feb 21 with 2633 viewsDyland

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 15:39 - Feb 21 by unstableblue

You’re obsessed Joe!

Tommy’s left sided; we have The Wolf!

Wolfenden only plays on the left because the other right footed players can't! He's right footed innit. Indeed, plays at RB sometimes, or did...
[Post edited 21 Feb 2020 15:43]

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 15:46 - Feb 21 with 2610 viewsunstableblue

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 15:43 - Feb 21 by Dyland

Wolfenden only plays on the left because the other right footed players can't! He's right footed innit. Indeed, plays at RB sometimes, or did...
[Post edited 21 Feb 2020 15:43]

Damn your facts.... and informed point of view.

I want Tommy Smith in place of Chambo

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 15:49 - Feb 21 with 2576 viewsitfcjoe

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 15:46 - Feb 21 by unstableblue

Chambo is 35 in September, need to replace him soon

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 16:06 - Feb 21 with 2492 viewsDyland

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 15:46 - Feb 21 by unstableblue

I really wanted us to sign him too. Ach well.

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 16:21 - Feb 21 with 2413 viewscbower

Good luck to Tommy but simply unbelievable that we have not signed him. Chambers has one season left at the most. Wolf may well leave soon, Earl is not our player, Wilson is not above L1 standard at best and Nsiala well, least said. Tommy should have three years left in him and could not have shown any more interest in signing bar coming straight out with it. Just doesn't add up to me. Talking of captain material and leaders, Tommy would have been a candidate for that too now he is so experienced.

bluescouser

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 16:31 - Feb 21 with 2352 viewsBluebell

I was amazed that Earl was brought in when Tommy was training with us. We could certainly have given him till the end of the season to see how it panned out.

Shame.
Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 16:33 - Feb 21 with 2341 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 16:21 - Feb 21 by cbower

Good luck to Tommy but simply unbelievable that we have not signed him. Chambers has one season left at the most. Wolf may well leave soon, Earl is not our player, Wilson is not above L1 standard at best and Nsiala well, least said. Tommy should have three years left in him and could not have shown any more interest in signing bar coming straight out with it. Just doesn't add up to me. Talking of captain material and leaders, Tommy would have been a candidate for that too now he is so experienced.

It really comes down to the fact that we would not have been able to afford his wages, not even get close.

I don't think it is a huge loss anyway.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Login to get fewer ads

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 16:41 - Feb 21 with 2314 viewsPhilTWTD

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 16:33 - Feb 21 by JammyDodgerrr

It really comes down to the fact that we would not have been able to afford his wages, not even get close.

Not sure wages were necessarily the issue, PL just wasn't interested. In part I think it was not wanting a 'back to the future' type signing - I think he said as much but I can't find the quote - but also I'm not sure he could play the role Earl is now playing.
Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 16:49 - Feb 21 with 2282 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 16:41 - Feb 21 by PhilTWTD

Not sure wages were necessarily the issue, PL just wasn't interested. In part I think it was not wanting a 'back to the future' type signing - I think he said as much but I can't find the quote - but also I'm not sure he could play the role Earl is now playing.

I definitely agree with you on that anyway - i don't think we should have signed him so not fussed. Thanks for clarifying.

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 16:51 - Feb 21 with 2268 viewsPhilTWTD

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 16:49 - Feb 21 by JammyDodgerrr

I definitely agree with you on that anyway - i don't think we should have signed him so not fussed. Thanks for clarifying.

I also wonder how long it will get him up to match speed, played a couple of games for New Zealand in November but nothing since then, just training with our U23s.
Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 16:52 - Feb 21 with 2255 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Didn't he try and sign Conor Wickham, if you believe that story at all.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 16:55 - Feb 21 with 2240 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 16:51 - Feb 21 by PhilTWTD

I also wonder how long it will get him up to match speed, played a couple of games for New Zealand in November but nothing since then, just training with our U23s.

Presumably PL's judgment will have been partly based on seeing him play.

I suspect Sunderland were far more willing to offer a contract as they have lost a defender to injury.

Is the 3 at the back not the system New Zealand employed very effectively in the World Cup before last with Tommy Smith?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 17:01 - Feb 21 with 2223 viewsPhilTWTD

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 16:55 - Feb 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

Presumably PL's judgment will have been partly based on seeing him play.

I suspect Sunderland were far more willing to offer a contract as they have lost a defender to injury.

Is the 3 at the back not the system New Zealand employed very effectively in the World Cup before last with Tommy Smith?

That's true but that was a bit different to how we're playing it now, that was very much battening down the hatches rather than having centre-halves breaking forward, from what I recall. Sunderland move is expressly due to the injury to Bailey Wright.
Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 17:03 - Feb 21 with 2213 viewsPhilTWTD

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 16:52 - Feb 21 by TheTrueBlue1878

Didn't he try and sign Conor Wickham, if you believe that story at all.

Fair point, that being the case he evidently saw the two additions differently, perhaps Wickham's history here having been some while ago now rather than just a couple of years and a more recent ex-manager's era.
Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 17:03 - Feb 21 with 2203 viewsKeaneish

Question is, will Early be a better fit between now and May?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 17:40 - Feb 21 with 2116 viewsGarv

I agree with Lambert on this and I agree that he couldn't play the Earl role.

Seems a great idea in theory but I'm not sure it would be all that in reality, and it's one of those where if it doesn't work out the club gets criticised for looking desperate and living in the past.

I'd rather we concentrate on scouting new/youngers players.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 20:11 - Feb 21 with 1884 viewsBlueBadger

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 16:33 - Feb 21 by JammyDodgerrr

Tommy Smith to Sunderland by BlueBadger 21 Feb 2020 16:22
Lest we forget, we were apparently in for Connor Wickham on loan. Which means that there must have been SOME money kicking about. I can't see Tommy being as expensive as Connor.
Unless of course, our manager was lying in a feeble attempt to win over some divs with a cheap PR stunt.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 20:26 - Feb 21 with 1851 viewsSwansea_Blue

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 15:49 - Feb 21 by itfcjoe

Nah, he’ll be good until at least 2017

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 07:54 - Feb 22 with 1503 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 20:11 - Feb 21 by BlueBadger

Tommy Smith to Sunderland by BlueBadger 21 Feb 2020 16:22
Lest we forget, we were apparently in for Connor Wickham on loan. Which means that there must have been SOME money kicking about. I can't see Tommy being as expensive as Connor.
Unless of course, our manager was lying in a feeble attempt to win over some divs with a cheap PR stunt.

There’s no way we were ever in for Wickham.

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 08:15 - Feb 22 with 1450 viewsDyland

If that's the reason, the bloke is ridiculous as well as inept (PL, not TS). Sorry! Doesn't give me any pleasure whatsoever to think that.

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 08:19 - Feb 22 with 1444 viewsTractorWood

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 15:49 - Feb 21 by itfcjoe

Quote everyone for the last 4 years.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 08:32 - Feb 22 with 1421 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Maybe he doesn't pick up enough injuries for us to be interested.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 09:18 - Feb 22 with 1359 viewsBlueBadger

Tommy Smith to Sunderland confirmed on 07:54 - Feb 22 by JammyDodgerrr

There’s no way we were ever in for Wickham.

Are you suggesting that our manager is a lying chancer mor einterested in his own PR than managing the team?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024