Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We don't have a Number 6 this season 10:25 - Feb 21 with 2979 viewsitfcjoe

Do you think this might be to do with The Beat, and potentially retiring a number, or just conincidence?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

We don't have a Number 6 this season on 10:36 - Feb 21 with 2921 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

I think it would be a very nice gesture to the great Beat and his family that the number 6 is retired on the opening of his statue.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

We don't have a Number 6 this season on 10:47 - Feb 21 with 2877 viewsMullet

We don't have a Number 6 this season on 10:36 - Feb 21 by TheTrueBlue1878

I think it would be a very nice gesture to the great Beat and his family that the number 6 is retired on the opening of his statue.

I don't. Seems a twee Americanised "minute applause" type creep into our culture. But I'm pretty grumpy and middle aged.

The statue and wonderful tributes etc. seem far more fitting and what better story is there than an academy kid inheriting that shirt one day and doing well?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

We don't have a Number 6 this season on 10:49 - Feb 21 with 2881 viewsSitfcB

Whilst obviously I’d agree with the sentiment but if we went down that route we wouldn’t have any squad numbers left in 10/20 years!

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

We don't have a Number 6 this season on 10:51 - Feb 21 with 2869 viewsportmanking

We don't have a Number 6 this season on 10:49 - Feb 21 by SitfcB

Whilst obviously I’d agree with the sentiment but if we went down that route we wouldn’t have any squad numbers left in 10/20 years!

Yes, because Toto and Wilson have really had the same effect on the club as Beattie did....
We don't have a Number 6 this season on 10:54 - Feb 21 with 2848 viewsitfcjoe

We don't have a Number 6 this season on 10:47 - Feb 21 by Mullet

I don't. Seems a twee Americanised "minute applause" type creep into our culture. But I'm pretty grumpy and middle aged.

The statue and wonderful tributes etc. seem far more fitting and what better story is there than an academy kid inheriting that shirt one day and doing well?

I'd agree with this - whilst The beat may have been our greatest player there are certainly a couple who have made more impact for us

We don't have a Number 6 this season on 11:16 - Feb 21 with 2793 viewsBrixtonBlue

We don't have a Number 6 this season on 10:51 - Feb 21 by portmanking

Yes, because Toto and Wilson have really had the same effect on the club as Beattie did....

eh?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

We don't have a Number 6 this season on 11:24 - Feb 21 with 2760 viewsSitfcB

Oh dear.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

We don't have a Number 6 this season on 11:25 - Feb 21 with 2755 viewsitfc48

It's been reserved for Tommy Smith...
Login to get fewer ads

We don't have a Number 6 this season on 11:28 - Feb 21 with 2746 viewsitfcjoe

We don't have a Number 6 this season on 11:25 - Feb 21 by itfc48

It's been reserved for Tommy Smith...

Sadly not

We don't have a Number 6 this season on 11:48 - Feb 21 with 2705 viewsParisBlue

More to do with us not having enough defenders at the time and looking to bring one in. If he's here next seasons then I'd expect Woolfenden to get it.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

We don't have a Number 6 this season on 11:54 - Feb 21 with 2679 viewschicoazul

Coincidence, and also down to the fact we havent bought a decent centre half in years and years.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

We don't have a Number 6 this season on 11:55 - Feb 21 with 2678 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Completely off topic but on the subject of number 6’s, but the one that came on for Burton last weekend - I don’t think I’ve seen a bigger donkey in possession in my lifetime of watching professional football

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

We don't have a Number 6 this season on 11:57 - Feb 21 with 2675 viewsChiefXL

*I think* PL and EFL rules prohibit teams from officially retiring squad numbers.

I could be wrong though......
We don't have a Number 6 this season on 12:06 - Feb 21 with 2658 viewsitfcjoe

We don't have a Number 6 this season on 11:57 - Feb 21 by ChiefXL

*I think* PL and EFL rules prohibit teams from officially retiring squad numbers.

West Ham have 6 and 38 retired for Bobby Moore and Dylan Tombides, and I think Exeter have 9 retired for Adam Stansfield - sure there are more (Maybe Man City and Marc Vivien-Foe) so whether it's officially done or not it still happens, maybe not as formally as US Sports

We don't have a Number 6 this season on 12:14 - Feb 21 with 2642 viewsHalf_Idiot

We don't have a Number 6 this season on 11:57 - Feb 21 by ChiefXL

Seems like something difficult to control. Surely they can't insist on a club using a squad number?
We don't have a Number 6 this season on 12:15 - Feb 21 with 2641 viewsReuser_is_God

Coincidence surely?

If they had retired the shirt number I'm sure they'd have announced it.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

We don't have a Number 6 this season on 12:52 - Feb 21 with 2573 viewsBlueBadger

LOLwut?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

We don't have a Number 6 this season on 12:56 - Feb 21 with 2560 viewsTrequartista

We've got a lot of number 2s that need retiring. Ooooooh they get worse.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

We don't have a Number 6 this season on 13:00 - Feb 21 with 2546 viewsurbanblue

We don't have a Number 6 this season on 10:54 - Feb 21 by itfcjoe

I'd agree with this - whilst The beat may have been our greatest player there are certainly a couple who have made more impact for us

Sorry Joe, there is no one who has made more impact on my love of Ipswich Town then Kevin Beattie.

I guess you had to have actually been there and seen him play .....
We don't have a Number 6 this season on 13:17 - Feb 21 with 2516 viewsPJH

We don't have a Number 6 this season on 13:00 - Feb 21 by urbanblue

Sorry Joe, there is no one who has made more impact on my love of Ipswich Town then Kevin Beattie.

I guess you had to have actually been there and seen him play .....

I agree that unless you actually saw the truly great Kevin Beattie play then it is difficult to appreciate just how good he was.

It is difficult or even impossible to define how you quantify how much "impact" a footballer makes or made on a club-goalscorers such as Crawford and Phillips made huge impacts on Ipswich Town and therefore on the history of the club and on the lives of supporters that actually saw them, such as myself.

As to whether the number 6 should no longer be used by ITFC as another tribute to our greatest ever player I am not so sure because I think he is possibly honoured enough in the memories of those of us lucky enough to have seen him play.
We don't have a Number 6 this season on 13:24 - Feb 21 with 2489 viewsBrixtonBlue

We don't have a Number 6 this season on 13:17 - Feb 21 by PJH

I agree that unless you actually saw the truly great Kevin Beattie play then it is difficult to appreciate just how good he was.

It is difficult or even impossible to define how you quantify how much "impact" a footballer makes or made on a club-goalscorers such as Crawford and Phillips made huge impacts on Ipswich Town and therefore on the history of the club and on the lives of supporters that actually saw them, such as myself.

As to whether the number 6 should no longer be used by ITFC as another tribute to our greatest ever player I am not so sure because I think he is possibly honoured enough in the memories of those of us lucky enough to have seen him play.

Indeed, and as others have said, if you keep retiring a shirt every time a legend dies you'll end up with no squad numbers (or at least stupidly high ones).

The excellent statue is more than enough.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024