Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Burton game - turning point or blip? 08:10 - Feb 20 with 7153 viewsHerbivore

Now the dust has settled after the weekend, just wondering what people's thoughts are? I've seen a few people suggest that it was or could be a turning point that sees us push on for the rest of the season. I am a bit skeptical of that for a few reasons.

Firstly, we similarly beat a poor Accrington side earlier in the year and our form continued to be patchy thereafter. Secondly, Burton came and played quite open which gave us a lot of space to hurt them. Not many sides will do that. Thirdly, Burton were weakened at the back and on a poor run. We know we've got enough quality to roll over the poorer sides in the division, that's not our issue.

On the other hand, we did look more balanced as a side overall. Earl gives us better balance in the back three for sure and Garbutt and Edwards give us much better width than their replacements. Judge played with more positional discipline than he has in a while which meant he got beyond the strikers and added a threat high up the pitch. Jackson and Keane actually looked capable of playing together, which they haven't done all that often when I've seen them, and linked up nicely at times. In their own different ways, they were unplayable.

For me it's very much a case of wait and see. It was a very good performance and I hope something has genuinely clicked. That said, there are some big caveats against the win as well. This weekend's game is massive. Oxford have themselves had a sticky run, albeit they won handsomely midweek, but they're a decent side and exactly the sort of team we've not done well enough against this season. Win this one and win it fairly well and it gives us a good platform for the run in. Anything else and it increasingly looks like a tough struggle to guarantee a play off slot.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 08:17 - Feb 20 with 5221 viewsMetal_Hacker

I don't think there is a better way to describe our season other than consistently inconsistent

Therefore who bl00dy knows hey
[Post edited 20 Feb 2020 8:18]

Poll: If it were one or the other

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 08:17 - Feb 20 with 5225 viewsitfcjoe

Hope it's a turning point but fear it isn't

I don't buy the beating a poor side angle though - neither side are poor sides we just overpowered them and beat them.

We need sides to try and play against us as can explot the space it leaves, but at Portman Road this isn't going to happen every week and we will need to find some other way of breaking them down.

But momentum is key - if we can keep the good footballers fit and firing - Woolfie, Chambers, Garbutt, Downes, Judge and Keane then that spine will do enough for us most weeks

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 08:22 - Feb 20 with 5186 viewsChrisd

This Saturday’s game against Oxford United will be ‘the proof in the pudding for me’. We play well against them and win, then it could well be the start of something.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 08:28 - Feb 20 with 5179 viewsHerbivore

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 08:17 - Feb 20 by itfcjoe

I don't buy the beating a poor side angle though - neither side are poor sides we just overpowered them and beat them.

We need sides to try and play against us as can explot the space it leaves, but at Portman Road this isn't going to happen every week and we will need to find some other way of breaking them down.

But momentum is key - if we can keep the good footballers fit and firing - Woolfie, Chambers, Garbutt, Downes, Judge and Keane then that spine will do enough for us most weeks

I'd say they were both poor sides. Accrington don't travel well and Burton had an inexperienced back line and had been on a poor run. They are two of the poorer sides I've seen at PR this season and I don't think that was purely down to us. I think that's why there are caveats against those results. Still, it can't be bad for confidence to win games comfortably and let's hope it gives us some momentum for this weekend. Beat Oxford and it puts a different complexion on things.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2020 8:31]

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 08:30 - Feb 20 with 5164 viewshomer_123

No other team has come to PR and played the way Burton did, we were afforded, time, space and created a lot of chances.

As we have shown, we 'can' play well at times but if we are harried, chased and not offered space and time to play - we struggle.

As I say, Saturday, Fleetwood, Cov and Pompey will be the matches that are likely to make/ break our season now.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 08:30 - Feb 20 with 5164 viewsDarth_Koont

Since we've switched to the wing-back system and a more settled selection, we've definitely looked better. But we've also not looked as good as sides like Rotherham who looked much more secure and confident in the team.

That's the downside of the incessant rotation and tinkering of systems. Yes, we should be fresher (although all our key players have played a full season) but we haven't gelled as a team.

In theory, the players now should be settling into the team structure and approach and can kick on. But we now need wins and with good form will come sides who want to dig in for a point. That's something we'll need to address as not convinced we've shown much ability to break sides down at any stage this season.

So, I'm pretty sure we have seen/are seeing a turning point but not sure whether it's going to be enough.

Pronouns: He/Him

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 08:34 - Feb 20 with 5145 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 08:44 - Feb 20 with 5127 viewsSteve_M

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 08:28 - Feb 20 by Herbivore

I'd say they were both poor sides. Accrington don't travel well and Burton had an inexperienced back line and had been on a poor run. They are two of the poorer sides I've seen at PR this season and I don't think that was purely down to us. I think that's why there are caveats against those results. Still, it can't be bad for confidence to win games comfortably and let's hope it gives us some momentum for this weekend. Beat Oxford and it puts a different complexion on things.

We won three and drew two out of five which was more than just a blip against a poor side. I think we would have beaten Wimbledon had we played like we were in January rather than the more tepid approach on the night.

Most disappointingly for me was that one poor performance at Rotherham and the confidence disappeared (fans as well as players). Guess that's the inverse of Joe's point about momentum.

You're right, that Saturday will be important. Get a good start and it will hopefully reinforce itself. Even on Saturday, whilst still behind, from the minute Judge hit the bar the mood in the ground changed.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 08:47 - Feb 20 with 5106 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Oxford are a decent footballing side, as seen in their FA Cup ties against Newcastle. However, i fully expect us to turn them over at the weekend.
However, we do seem to be a bit fragile, both physically and mentally, when up against the better teams, although on paper, the run in looks pretty favourable,
The top 6 also still have several fixtures against each other so i still think we have a very good chance. A run of results, as demonsrated by the early seasons form, is certainly not out of the question.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 08:49 - Feb 20 with 5102 viewsGlasgowBlue

After we beat Accrington we won 2 and drew 1 to go back to the top of the league.

I’d take another ‘blip” like that thanks.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 09:01 - Feb 20 with 5034 viewsHerbivore

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 08:49 - Feb 20 by GlasgowBlue

After we beat Accrington we won 2 and drew 1 to go back to the top of the league.

I’d take another ‘blip” like that thanks.

We then took one point from our next four thereafter, so I'm not really sure it can be seen as a turning point. You're doing a reverse Blubbers with that post.

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 09:07 - Feb 20 with 5017 viewsKeaneish

I thought we played well against Lincoln too so the last three out of four home games have been very encouraging. Think I’ve said this before but now we’re getting to the business end of the season, I think the better more experienced players will step up to the plate and that, with a consistent side who should not be on weary legs will see an upturn in form.

Proof is in the pudding though but I think we’ll have too much for Oxford Saturday and record another win.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 09:08 - Feb 20 with 5013 viewsGlasgowBlue

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 09:01 - Feb 20 by Herbivore

We then took one point from our next four thereafter, so I'm not really sure it can be seen as a turning point. You're doing a reverse Blubbers with that post.

I’m clutching at any available straws on offer tbh.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 09:09 - Feb 20 with 5012 viewsSaleAway

Looking at the Burton game - it was quite interesting that almost all our chances came from them losing the ball cheaply in midfield. So often, we look ponderous going forward, but we transitioned really well, and caused so many problems. That said, I don't think a lot of the better sides would give the ball away that easily..

First goal was created well.
Hitting the bar - given away cheaply in midfield
goal 2 - route 1 - should have been dealt with
keane chance just before halftime - given away in midfield
goal 3 - really bad hoof into the channel but left back gave it on a plate to judge
goal 4 - given away cheaply in midfield.

As we all know breaking down an organised defence is difficult, and I didn't see much in the Burton game that suggests we've solved that problem.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 09:52 - Feb 20 with 4907 viewsHerbivore

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 09:08 - Feb 20 by GlasgowBlue

I’m clutching at any available straws on offer tbh.

That's a reasonable approach at this point. Hopefully after Saturday we may be able to have a bit more confidence in our ability to get the job done.

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 09:58 - Feb 20 with 4880 viewsJammyDodgerrr

I think it's a turning point. I don't think Burton are a poor side by any means so it's quite a reasonable result to hammer them. Also, KVY will hopefully be back and we will look different once he is up to speed. I like our run in, too.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 10:42 - Feb 20 with 4749 viewsitfcjoe

It's easy to say they were poor sides and find reasons why they are but any side that gets humped 4-1 looks a poor side.

There are plenty worse than them in the league

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 10:46 - Feb 20 with 4738 viewsHerbivore

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 10:42 - Feb 20 by itfcjoe

It's easy to say they were poor sides and find reasons why they are but any side that gets humped 4-1 looks a poor side.

There are plenty worse than them in the league

Well yeah, it's a crap league.

Most of our "turning points" have..... on 10:50 - Feb 20 with 4724 viewsBloots

....been "blips".

I don't really see any reason why beating Burton at home should be any different.

Unfortunately.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 10:56 - Feb 20 with 4694 viewsflimflam

Burton were in the top 6 not that long ago so are obviously not that poor a side.

We played on the front foot and to our strengths and Keane was the key man for me with his hold up play and through balls which enabled u to play higher up the pitch than usual.

Hoping for more of the same Saturday.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 11:08 - Feb 20 with 4663 viewsPJH

The next four home games obviously look more difficult than the four that follow that so in all probability the number of points we get against Oxford, Fleetwood, Coventry and Portsmouth will be a huge deciding factor in where we finish.

Hopefully KVY will be back in to plug our main weakness, if he can come back as he was pre injury.

As most are saying we should have a better idea as to whether we have turned the corner at the end of the Oxford game. Win that one and things can again start to look quite bright but if we do not win it then doubts will remain/increase.
Burton game - turning point or blip? on 11:08 - Feb 20 with 4662 viewsHerbivore

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 10:56 - Feb 20 by flimflam

Burton were in the top 6 not that long ago so are obviously not that poor a side.

We played on the front foot and to our strengths and Keane was the key man for me with his hold up play and through balls which enabled u to play higher up the pitch than usual.

Hoping for more of the same Saturday.

When were they in the top 6? They've generally been midtable all season.

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 11:14 - Feb 20 with 4643 viewsPJH

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 11:08 - Feb 20 by Herbivore

When were they in the top 6? They've generally been midtable all season.

They were 6th in alphabetical order before the season started.
Burton game - turning point or blip? on 11:39 - Feb 20 with 4598 viewsandytown

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 11:14 - Feb 20 by PJH

They were 6th in alphabetical order before the season started.

Burton were 6th at some point relatively recently. I remember seeing the table
Burton game - turning point or blip? on 11:41 - Feb 20 with 4597 viewsPJH

Burton game - turning point or blip? on 11:39 - Feb 20 by andytown

Burton were 6th at some point relatively recently. I remember seeing the table

Quite possibly were but they certainly were before we played them on the first day of the season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024