Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jon Nolan 08:22 - Feb 17 with 7669 viewsitfcjoe

Is he the Cole Skuse replacement?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Jon Nolan on 08:24 - Feb 17 with 5810 viewsportmanking

It does feel like he could take that role on, given his desire to play backwards or sideways.

He had a pretty decent game on Saturday by his standards. I still sometimes wonder whether we signed a different Jon Nolan though, because at Shrewsbury I saw him make much more of an impact in the final third, but he just shows no intent to do the same here.
Jon Nolan on 08:27 - Feb 17 with 5785 viewsNo9

One would hope there is no such thing as a raplacement within any club that disires to play attacking, enetertaining football.
Jon Nolan on 08:32 - Feb 17 with 5761 viewsHullblue

Most people seem to disagree but I thought he was good on Saturday. He is quite conservative on the ball but he takes it in tight areas and helps us keep it - such an under-rated quality and can make a huge difference in the overall level of our performance.

As long as he’s playing as one of the deeper two and not the 10 he’s a good option imo.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Jon Nolan on 08:32 - Feb 17 with 5752 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Potentially.

He is very frustrating to watch. He is clearly a good footballer, he is very tidy, has shown this season that he can help out defensively, Fleetwood he was superbly good. But I just want him to offer something going forward. Get in the box more arriving late. Get up with the ball. it infuriates me.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Jon Nolan on 08:37 - Feb 17 with 5713 viewsuefacup81

Jon Nolan on 08:32 - Feb 17 by Hullblue

Most people seem to disagree but I thought he was good on Saturday. He is quite conservative on the ball but he takes it in tight areas and helps us keep it - such an under-rated quality and can make a huge difference in the overall level of our performance.

As long as he’s playing as one of the deeper two and not the 10 he’s a good option imo.

"Takes it in tight areas"?

Ooh er missus!

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Jon Nolan on 08:44 - Feb 17 with 5666 viewsitfcjoe

Jon Nolan on 08:32 - Feb 17 by Hullblue

I didn't think he played poorly, but was just ultra conservative - too often this season he has been conservative in attacking positions but seemed to get forward a lot less and looked to be the player mopping up and playing it simply like Skuse does.

Jon Nolan on 08:44 - Feb 17 with 5663 viewsJakeITFC

I think he’s a bit of a nothing footballer personally.

As a deep lying midfielder he isn’t going to offer the defensive awareness of Skuse and nor is he capable of playing penetrative passes to break the lines.
Jon Nolan on 08:47 - Feb 17 with 5641 viewshampstead_blue

Jon Nolan on 08:32 - Feb 17 by TRUE_BLUE123

Potentially.

He is very frustrating to watch. He is clearly a good footballer, he is very tidy, has shown this season that he can help out defensively, Fleetwood he was superbly good. But I just want him to offer something going forward. Get in the box more arriving late. Get up with the ball. it infuriates me.

Sit him down with John Wark for a few days. See if he can learn from the best.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Login to get fewer ads

Jon Nolan on 08:47 - Feb 17 with 5642 viewsMullet

Jon Nolan on 08:44 - Feb 17 by JakeITFC

As a deep lying midfielder he isn’t going to offer the defensive awareness of Skuse and nor is he capable of playing penetrative passes to break the lines.

Yeah I think if we're not buying one in, it's Dozzell and we put two of Nolan/Downes/Huws ahead of him in the short term. It'd require a different mode of playing, but no one else really works as a like for like for me.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Jon Nolan on 08:50 - Feb 17 with 5626 viewsitfcjoe

He is capable of playing the passes, off both feet, but doesn't seem to ever do so.

He's certainly not the player we bought, but Lambert has always tried to get him into the team since being in charge

Jon Nolan on 08:53 - Feb 17 with 5588 viewsportmanking

Jon Nolan on 08:50 - Feb 17 by itfcjoe

He is capable of playing the passes, off both feet, but doesn't seem to ever do so.

He's certainly not the player we bought, but Lambert has always tried to get him into the team since being in charge

You're right, he's shown glimpses of what he's capable of with both feet, but all too often plays with the reins on.

Given that this was the biggest move of his career thus far, you have to wonder if it's a mentality thing, whether he prefers being a big fish in a smaller pond.
Jon Nolan on 08:56 - Feb 17 with 5574 viewsHerbivore

I thought he had a decent game on Saturday. Nothing spectacular but he kept us ticking over. I don't see him as a Skuse replacement though, I don't think he reads the game well enough and doesn't have the defensive nous of Skuse. If we can ever get Bishop fit then for me it has to be a trio of Downes, Huws and Bishop with everyone else rotating in to keep those three as fresh as possible. There's enough bite and physicality in that trio plus a ton of quality.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Jon Nolan on 08:58 - Feb 17 with 5548 viewsgroovyASH

I hope not, think Downes has taken on the role Skuse would have, whether we can keep him beyond this season notwithstanding.

Nolan has been one of the seasons big disappointments for me, he has never got going in a division he supposedly excelled in with Shrewsbury

Poll: Will you renew your season ticket when Evans does the annual end of season beg?

Jon Nolan on 09:02 - Feb 17 with 5507 viewsGarv

Jon Nolan on 08:24 - Feb 17 by portmanking

It does feel like he could take that role on, given his desire to play backwards or sideways.

He had a pretty decent game on Saturday by his standards. I still sometimes wonder whether we signed a different Jon Nolan though, because at Shrewsbury I saw him make much more of an impact in the final third, but he just shows no intent to do the same here.

He looked so much more mobile at Shrewsbury, running with the ball, one twos etc. Just looks a lot slower now.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Jon Nolan on 09:06 - Feb 17 with 5472 viewsportmanking

Jon Nolan on 09:02 - Feb 17 by Garv

He looked so much more mobile at Shrewsbury, running with the ball, one twos etc. Just looks a lot slower now.

That's what I mean though. Mentally, is he capable of playing with the shackles off in front of big crowds? Or does he prefer to play for an underdog where little is expected of him and he can be a little more audacious and ambitious?
Jon Nolan on 09:07 - Feb 17 with 5457 viewsHerbivore

Jon Nolan on 09:02 - Feb 17 by Garv

He got 10 or so goals from midfield for them as well, some of them absolute beauties. I do wonder whether the step up has just been too much for him.

Jon Nolan on 09:11 - Feb 17 with 5438 viewsHullblue

Agree with your reasoning but not your conclusion. He’s good at most things but not outstanding at anything - that’s a decent central midfielder in my book.

Say he’s a 7/10 at passing and 6/10 defensively at this level. Dozzell for instance is a 9/10 at passing and 4/10 defensively. I can understand us choosing the former at the moment.

It is a bit frustrating because if we’d have set up to get the best out of Dozzell at the start of the season I think we’d be in a better position, but we’re not, we’re scrapping around for points.

Jon Nolan on 09:14 - Feb 17 with 5412 viewsHullblue

Jon Nolan on 09:06 - Feb 17 by portmanking

That's what I mean though. Mentally, is he capable of playing with the shackles off in front of big crowds? Or does he prefer to play for an underdog where little is expected of him and he can be a little more audacious and ambitious?

It’s probably partly a mental thing, but it’s also the fact that teams don’t come out and attack us as much. Lots of the good bits he did for Shrewsbury came when he was running with the ball through the middle of the pitch - teams just don’t give us the space to do that.

Jon Nolan on 09:45 - Feb 17 with 5247 viewsKeaneish

Kind of agree although he did make a good tackle to set us away for one of our goals.

He says he’s a 10. I don’t see it.
He’s not box-to-box enough.
Not really a ball winner.
Not a natural deep defensive player and nor would he like it there.

Not sure what he is other than tidy on the ball, able to retain possession and able to chip in with the occasional goal.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Jon Nolan on 09:56 - Feb 17 with 5220 viewsPJH

Jon Nolan on 09:45 - Feb 17 by Keaneish

Kind of agree although he did make a good tackle to set us away for one of our goals.

Not sure what he is other than tidy on the ball, able to retain possession and able to chip in with the occasional goal.

I agree with you completely on Nolan.

When we signed him he was (apparently) a top third division player, he seems to me to be a very ordinary third division player now.

He retains possession, which is a plus, but only by giving the ball to someone else usually within a few feet of him.

As I have said on another thread, I think he is a waste of a place in the team that could be given to someone that contributes more.

As virtually all he does is accept the ball from one player and give it to another why not cut out the middle man (Nolan) and player A give the ball straight to player C?

I know some see something in Nolan but I certainly do not.
Jon Nolan on 09:58 - Feb 17 with 5214 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Jon Nolan on 09:45 - Feb 17 by Keaneish

Think he said he wasn't a number 10 didn't he

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Jon Nolan on 10:02 - Feb 17 with 5202 viewsHerbivore

Jon Nolan on 09:58 - Feb 17 by TRUE_BLUE123

Think he said he wasn't a number 10 didn't he

Yeah, he was very clear that he's not a number 10. He's a box to box player, just not a brilliant one.

It's tough, we've got a few CMs that probably could do with a run of games to build match sharpness and confidence and to get the best out of them - I'm thinking young Dozzer here too - but such is the level of competition in that area that you have to play well to keep your place. It's a bit of a catch 22. I do think there's a player there in Nolan but he doesn't show it often enough. For me, Downes and Huws are out best pairing in CM. In the long run I'd love to see Bishop join them in a trio.

Jon Nolan on 10:41 - Feb 17 with 5088 viewsChateauWines

I've been impressed with him last two games. Can he replace Skuse is a good question. Skuse's influence has dropped off sharply, not that long ago most of us dreaded him missing a game. That is no longer the case. Huws, Downes then Nolan for that spot. If all fit and available my midfield 3 is those with Bishop taking over from Judge in 10 role

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

Jon Nolan on 10:41 - Feb 17 with 5089 viewstractordownsouth

From his highlights reel during his season at Shrewsbury, he was playing a lot deeper and seemed to suit the role well, which was why I was miffed when Hurst played him as a No 10 during his time here. He's clearly got decent vision and can attack well in short bursts but doesn't have the energy of someone like Downes, so I could see him doing well as a holding midfielder or at the base of a diamond.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Jon Nolan on 11:03 - Feb 17 with 5013 viewsSamWhiteUK

I haven't been to many games this year, admittedly, but one thing that has always impressed me with Nolan in the games I have seen was his desire to track back and win the ball back.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024