Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal 12:54 - Feb 16 with 4765 viewsIllinoisblue

Their player given the freedom of Ipswich and Holy elected to watch the shot go in rather than attempt to save. Very weird and good job it didn’t matter!

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 12:56 - Feb 16 with 4753 viewsPecker

Very poor goal to concede. Luckily it didn't cost us any points, but in future it would. Shocking positioning and keeping.
Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 12:59 - Feb 16 with 4718 viewsLankHenners

Good switch of play but Edwards was completely lost and I guess Holy was unsighted when the shot came through Edward's legs. Could have done better but redeemed himself with an assist for Jackson's first (hard to tell if Keane actually got a flick on, didn't think he did in real time).

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 13:00 - Feb 16 with 4707 viewsWickets

Blimey our defenders give Jacob Murthy the freedom of Portman Road and its the Keepers fault !
Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 13:03 - Feb 16 with 4691 viewsmonty_radio

Though it perhaps looked down to Edwards, it was the lack of anything there in midfield that led to the easy pass put to the wing which Skuse would probably have prevented had he been on the field. Edwards made up the ground really quickly, but then stood off rather than dive in and be beaten. Was Holy unsighted perhaps?

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 13:05 - Feb 16 with 4674 viewsPecker

Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 13:00 - Feb 16 by Wickets

Blimey our defenders give Jacob Murthy the freedom of Portman Road and its the Keepers fault !

Defending was awful as you correctly say, but Holy was totally done by a shot in the middle of the goal. Defenders fault, but keeper has to do better.
Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 13:18 - Feb 16 with 4603 viewsDarth_Koont

Think the key defensive error is before that with all three CBs within 20 yards of the left touchline. Edwards probably does the right thing leaving his man and covering the space through the middle but instead of being level or covering behind Woolfenden he's in no man's land too far up the pitch.

So he ends up not really covering the space in behind or the pass out to Murphy. But arguably the CBs unnecessarily forced him to make the sort of choice a non-experienced defender would struggle to execute well.

Yeah, I think Holy will probably think he should have done better. Looked like he was surprised by how early Murphy took it or thought Edwards had it covered and just assumed it was going near post ... whatever the reason he didn't look as if he set himself properly and just couldn't move to his left.

Not our finest moment all in all. Credit to them for sorting themselves out a bit more after that when it could have been the start of a collapse.

Pronouns: He/Him

Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 13:22 - Feb 16 with 4584 viewshoppy

Pretty much everything Burton were trying or looking like getting any joy from early on was always attacking down their left side - they had acres of space out there on a number of occasions. As you say, fortunately it didn’t matter in the end.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 13:27 - Feb 16 with 4563 viewsPJH

Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 13:22 - Feb 16 by hoppy

Pretty much everything Burton were trying or looking like getting any joy from early on was always attacking down their left side - they had acres of space out there on a number of occasions. As you say, fortunately it didn’t matter in the end.

Yes hopefully KVY will be back fit very soon and also hopefully quickly get back to what he was before the injury.

We have been weak at RB/RWB throughout his absence.
Login to get fewer ads

Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 14:14 - Feb 16 with 4434 viewsIllinoisblue

Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 13:00 - Feb 16 by Wickets

Read it again

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 14:23 - Feb 16 with 4398 viewsBluebell

Harsh to blame Edwards when he was the only one alert to what was happening. Our 3 backs were all on the left side of the pitch with Woolfie way out of position. Holy should have stayed on his line.

Having watched it again, one of our players had been brought down on the left of mid-field and the rest of our players were watching that and not the ball!
Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 15:15 - Feb 16 with 4280 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 14:23 - Feb 16 by Bluebell

Harsh to blame Edwards when he was the only one alert to what was happening. Our 3 backs were all on the left side of the pitch with Woolfie way out of position. Holy should have stayed on his line.

Having watched it again, one of our players had been brought down on the left of mid-field and the rest of our players were watching that and not the ball!

At the start of the highlights yesterday, the Burton player was holding his position out wide on the left (our right) and every other player (including Edwards) was on our left. If Edwards was playing centre mid you could understand his position. As a left wing back or even a left sided midfielder or winger, you cannot.

The ball seemed rather close to Woolfenden who didn't manage to cut it out and Edwards did manage to get across to close the player down as he scored but he was hopelessly out of position throughout the move. He is not a defensive player and certainly not a wing back.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 15:48 - Feb 16 with 4207 viewsPecker

Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 14:14 - Feb 16 by Illinoisblue

Read it again

Think he meant to reply to me.
Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 16:29 - Feb 16 with 4126 viewsDennyx4

Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 13:18 - Feb 16 by Darth_Koont

Think the key defensive error is before that with all three CBs within 20 yards of the left touchline. Edwards probably does the right thing leaving his man and covering the space through the middle but instead of being level or covering behind Woolfenden he's in no man's land too far up the pitch.

So he ends up not really covering the space in behind or the pass out to Murphy. But arguably the CBs unnecessarily forced him to make the sort of choice a non-experienced defender would struggle to execute well.

Yeah, I think Holy will probably think he should have done better. Looked like he was surprised by how early Murphy took it or thought Edwards had it covered and just assumed it was going near post ... whatever the reason he didn't look as if he set himself properly and just couldn't move to his left.

Not our finest moment all in all. Credit to them for sorting themselves out a bit more after that when it could have been the start of a collapse.

I know not a popular view, but Woolfenden was too far to the left, and left Edwards exposed.

Edwards could have read the danger quicker, but the goal for me was down to woolfy's position.

Burton playing 433 against our 3412 - meant Woolfenden and Earl needed to be aware of the danger from the wide players. thought Earl did that very well, but Woolfy was marking nobody most of the first half. Think this is the key reason we changed to a back four.
Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 16:40 - Feb 16 with 4096 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 16:29 - Feb 16 by Dennyx4

I know not a popular view, but Woolfenden was too far to the left, and left Edwards exposed.

Edwards could have read the danger quicker, but the goal for me was down to woolfy's position.

Burton playing 433 against our 3412 - meant Woolfenden and Earl needed to be aware of the danger from the wide players. thought Earl did that very well, but Woolfy was marking nobody most of the first half. Think this is the key reason we changed to a back four.

Whether Woolfenden's position was right does not excuse Edwards' in my opinion.

Edwards was on the left of the pitch along with pretty much every other player while their left winger was near the touch line. The left winger was Edwards' man. If Edwards recognised this he should have been in a better position AND calling Woolfenden across. It is not the CB's role to be telling the left wing back where to be in that area of the pitch in my opinion.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 16:41 - Feb 16 with 4089 viewsjaykay

Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 13:03 - Feb 16 by monty_radio

Though it perhaps looked down to Edwards, it was the lack of anything there in midfield that led to the easy pass put to the wing which Skuse would probably have prevented had he been on the field. Edwards made up the ground really quickly, but then stood off rather than dive in and be beaten. Was Holy unsighted perhaps?

pity skuse didn't prevent the 4 goals peterborough scored. then we would have had more points

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 16:45 - Feb 16 with 4085 viewsEly_Blue

Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 12:59 - Feb 16 by LankHenners

Good switch of play but Edwards was completely lost and I guess Holy was unsighted when the shot came through Edward's legs. Could have done better but redeemed himself with an assist for Jackson's first (hard to tell if Keane actually got a flick on, didn't think he did in real time).

Edwards got sold short by both Chambers and Woolfenden the former of which was responsible for us turning the ball over in the left back position and the latter being dragged so far across the field that their player had the freedom of that half of the pitch.

To be fair Edwards was always going to be second best when trying to regain his defensive position when we had initially been going forwards before Chambers lost the ball.

As for the non save on the replays I’ve seen it almost looks like the ball got a deflection or scuff somewhere

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 16:46 - Feb 16 with 4083 viewsDennyx4

Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 16:40 - Feb 16 by Nthsuffolkblue

Whether Woolfenden's position was right does not excuse Edwards' in my opinion.

Edwards was on the left of the pitch along with pretty much every other player while their left winger was near the touch line. The left winger was Edwards' man. If Edwards recognised this he should have been in a better position AND calling Woolfenden across. It is not the CB's role to be telling the left wing back where to be in that area of the pitch in my opinion.

Disagree, that was Woolfenden's man and he should call Edwards back if he is moving out of position, to move to the left hand side of the pitch.

I think Clough was well prepared and realised that the space for their forwards was always going to be wide, if we continued to play 3412.
The 433 will pull you back to a 532 if your centre half doesnt take the forward player as his man.
Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 21:53 - Feb 16 with 3860 viewsTerry_Nutkins

I think the two things can exist at the same time. Defensive shape was odd. Edwards was sucked across and initially did well to get back in front but the goalkeeping was very very odd. Dreadful positioning in no mans land and got his angles totally wrong. He has to be more central.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 22:01 - Feb 16 with 3841 viewsjeera

Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 13:05 - Feb 16 by Pecker

Defending was awful as you correctly say, but Holy was totally done by a shot in the middle of the goal. Defenders fault, but keeper has to do better.

I think Holy was just in shock at how much space we'd given them.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 22:36 - Feb 16 with 3787 viewslmfcblue

They don't score that goal if we have a back 4. Defensive shape is always difficult playing against 4.3,3 when you play wing backs. Most of the first half we had 5 at the back against their 3.
At least PL,and co see it for once and changed it.
Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 10:03 - Feb 17 with 3535 viewsitfc48

I know the wing backs worked well against Accrington however, I'd be tempted to park that formation for now. The players all looked so much more comfortable when we switched to a back four. Downes and Nolan really dominated the midfield once the switch was made whereas in the first half it felt like we lost some of their effectiveness due to the amount of ground they were having to patrol.

I've felt for the last few games the wing backs have been stuck in limbo and haven't really given us much defensively or enough of an attacking threat. I would love to see how many crosses we've put in playing full backs vs wing backs.

Special mention for Edwards. Thought he had a really solid second half in an unfamiliar position. You could see how hard he was focussing on his positioning and he dived in a lot less than usual.
Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 11:10 - Feb 17 with 3465 viewsBloomBlue

Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 16:46 - Feb 16 by Dennyx4

Disagree, that was Woolfenden's man and he should call Edwards back if he is moving out of position, to move to the left hand side of the pitch.

I think Clough was well prepared and realised that the space for their forwards was always going to be wide, if we continued to play 3412.
The 433 will pull you back to a 532 if your centre half doesnt take the forward player as his man.

I agree Woolf was at fault, I thought he was day dreaming, he left the player near the pen area on his own and Edward's was right to go to him as the ball was played to the player. The Woolf should then realise his mistake and cover for Edward's but didn't. The same thing happened twice after that with Woolf not getting near enough to the attacker and Edward's trying to cover for him and the Woolf didn't move to cover for Edward's which left a player free on our right, basically Edward's was left with 2 players to mark.
You could see PL having go at Woolf to get nearer, Edward's also gave him an earful and to be fair to Woolf he snapped out of it.
I'm not Edward's because fan but I'm not going to blame him for that goal when he was the only defender reacting to the situation
Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 11:38 - Feb 17 with 3430 viewsSwansea_Blue

Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 13:18 - Feb 16 by Darth_Koont

^this. All got sucked in towards the play didn’t they. That probably doesn’t happen if they’re a bit more used to playing the 3

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 11:58 - Feb 17 with 3374 viewsWickets

Still can’t work out what happened for Burton’s goal on 22:01 - Feb 16 by jeera

I think Holy was just in shock at how much space we'd given them.

Maybe and he does have a problem with shots on the deck ! Big man a little slow to get down .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024