Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Edwards more effective playing as a wing back? 21:10 - Feb 15 with 1331 viewsArnieM

Just wondered if he’s actually more effective playing wing back, as opposed to an out and out winger, because he can attack from such a deep position that he’s not being picked up early enough by opponents , and can then get to the by line to get a decent cross in?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Edwards more effective playing as a wing back? on 21:18 - Feb 15 with 1289 views3_5_2

Frustrates me by not taking players on when a winger, as a wing-back in 3-5-2 I think he has grown into that role, defensively better if at the expense of crosses / end product

Cover at RB when needed, when KVY is back will likely drop out?

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Edwards more effective playing as a wing back? on 09:19 - Feb 16 with 1158 viewsChrisd

Edwards more effective playing as a wing back? on 21:18 - Feb 15 by 3_5_2

Frustrates me by not taking players on when a winger, as a wing-back in 3-5-2 I think he has grown into that role, defensively better if at the expense of crosses / end product

Depends on the formation that PL uses, but if it continues to be 3-4-3 or 3-4-1-2 then KVY will be eased back in. Nevertheless, KVY can still slot in at RB (in a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 etc..) with Edwards ahead of him. If anything with the defending that Edwards has learnt to do playing wing back this might make us even stronger on this flank as it will allow KVY to get forward and Edwards can cover. They could potentially build a really good partnership.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2020 9:30]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Edwards more effective playing as a wing back? on 09:38 - Feb 16 with 1128 viewssparks

Edwards more effective playing as a wing back? on 21:18 - Feb 15 by 3_5_2

He was defensively awful at WB yesterday and we were fortunate not to concede more than once as a result. Doesnt pick up his man at all.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Edwards more effective playing as a wing back? on 10:10 - Feb 16 with 1094 viewsxrayspecs

Edwards more effective playing as a wing back? on 09:38 - Feb 16 by sparks

He was defensively awful at WB yesterday and we were fortunate not to concede more than once as a result. Doesnt pick up his man at all.

Agreed, he was at fault for their goal as he had drifted into the middle of the park. Not being in the same postcode as his man was a regular occurrence in the first half.

He is not a full back as not strong defensively
He is not a wing back unless he can sort his positional play out
He is not a winger as he does not get past his man enough and end product too hit and miss
Another stunning Hurst signing
Edwards more effective playing as a wing back? on 11:58 - Feb 16 with 1013 viewsRomeo4

Edwards more effective playing as a wing back? on 10:10 - Feb 16 by xrayspecs

Agreed, he was at fault for their goal as he had drifted into the middle of the park. Not being in the same postcode as his man was a regular occurrence in the first half.

He is not a full back as not strong defensively
He is not a wing back unless he can sort his positional play out
He is not a winger as he does not get past his man enough and end product too hit and miss
Another stunning Hurst signing

He wasn’t at fault for their goal. Burton clearly set up with a game plan of doubling up down their left which left Edwards with an impossible task. They were looking for the big switch every time they won the ball in the first 20 mins. A definite tactic of exploiting a possible weak area.

If anyone was at fault it was either Keane for not competing better when the ball dropped on our left or PL for not noticing and addressing it. It was just a matter of time before the exploited it.

I thought Edwards had a good game but only when Woolfy got his act together and provided some help for him.

KYV is the best option there but Edwards has learned that position well over the weeks to make KYV’s return less urgent.
Edwards more effective playing as a wing back? on 12:07 - Feb 16 with 1000 viewsYallop

Edwards more effective playing as a wing back? on 11:58 - Feb 16 by Romeo4

He wasn’t at fault for their goal. Burton clearly set up with a game plan of doubling up down their left which left Edwards with an impossible task. They were looking for the big switch every time they won the ball in the first 20 mins. A definite tactic of exploiting a possible weak area.

If anyone was at fault it was either Keane for not competing better when the ball dropped on our left or PL for not noticing and addressing it. It was just a matter of time before the exploited it.

I thought Edwards had a good game but only when Woolfy got his act together and provided some help for him.

KYV is the best option there but Edwards has learned that position well over the weeks to make KYV’s return less urgent.

Disagree. It wasn't so much his positioning (although he did lose his bearings and where the goalscorer was) it was backing off and allowing him to shoot that was the major error.

Donacien proved at Sunderland to defend those situations although he was poor going forward.
Edwards more effective playing as a wing back? on 12:21 - Feb 16 with 979 viewsWestcountryblue

I think Edwards is a good winger when confident, especially on the left cutting in.
Get's into goal scoring positions and has the pace to beat his man.

KVY will be a big step up though at RWB when he is back. Garbutt and KVY will offer us real width and quality at FB.
Edwards more effective playing as a wing back? on 13:28 - Feb 16 with 941 viewssparks

Edwards more effective playing as a wing back? on 11:58 - Feb 16 by Romeo4

He was clearly at fault. A wing back cant be infield half way up the pitch whilst his man is alone in an attacking wide position.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Login to get fewer ads

Edwards more effective playing as a wing back? on 15:23 - Feb 16 with 876 viewsRomeo4

Edwards more effective playing as a wing back? on 13:28 - Feb 16 by sparks

He was clearly at fault. A wing back cant be infield half way up the pitch whilst his man is alone in an attacking wide position.

Disagree. He didn’t know whether to stick or twist as he was horribly exposed against 2 Burton players for the first 20 mins or so.

Anyway let’s not argue about this. We scored 4 and the team played much better. Hopefully on the up now.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024