Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How toxic will it get... 10:29 - Feb 15 with 4840 viewsHerbivore

....when we inevitably meekly fall a goal behind today? I have a horrible feeling it could get nasty (by ITFC standards). I think a lot of people have turned over the past week.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

How toxic will it get... on 10:33 - Feb 15 with 4308 viewsfooters

Sir Alf statue, 2pm

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

How toxic will it get... on 10:37 - Feb 15 with 4289 viewsbluefunk

The last week has been almost a perfect storm of the PL nonsense, even for those of us who wanted to continue to give the benefit of the doubt. I have an instinctive mistrust of the view that he was never any good, just a PR exercise, and I am ever the optimist, but it’s become virtually impossible to support the man. With the limp performances in 4 vital games at a crucial stage of the season, followed by players interviews which amply demonstrate the acceptance of the current mediocrity, and topped off by PLs performance yesterday, he’s lost me and if history is a guide, once you lose the support of fans with my level of patience, there’s not much time left in the job.
How toxic will it get... on 10:37 - Feb 15 with 4284 viewsbrogansnose

Peterborough was definately the one that turned it and Wimbledon compounded the situation. I don't think it'll get to Mick levels but it won't be nice.
How toxic will it get... on 10:47 - Feb 15 with 4244 viewsPJH

How toxic will it get... on 10:37 - Feb 15 by brogansnose

Peterborough was definately the one that turned it and Wimbledon compounded the situation. I don't think it'll get to Mick levels but it won't be nice.

I think PL would leave well before it even approached Mick levels.

At the moment he probably still believes that he has (generally) got the fans with him so if it did start to turn nasty I think it would be a shock to his system because if he has definitely lost the fans he has lost everything.

There have been some boos at the end of games both home and away recently when he attempted to acknowledge the fans and if it goes beyond that I do not think that he will hang around.

If he did offer to walk I am not sure whether Marcus Evans would try too hard to change his mind.
How toxic will it get... on 11:14 - Feb 15 with 4153 viewsBlueBadger

How toxic will it get... on 10:47 - Feb 15 by PJH

I think PL would leave well before it even approached Mick levels.

At the moment he probably still believes that he has (generally) got the fans with him so if it did start to turn nasty I think it would be a shock to his system because if he has definitely lost the fans he has lost everything.

There have been some boos at the end of games both home and away recently when he attempted to acknowledge the fans and if it goes beyond that I do not think that he will hang around.

If he did offer to walk I am not sure whether Marcus Evans would try too hard to change his mind.

There's a couple of factors in play here:

1 - Evans has form for not sacking/letting go incompetent managers - look how long he afforded Keane, who should have been gone by October 2009 and inexplicably got a another 15 months in the job and the last days of Jewell, who tried to hand in his resignation a number of times before Evans finally accepted it because even someone as clueless as him couldn't ignore how bad a job he was doing.

2. It was utterly toxic between Mick and the numbskulls and he was going to stay on till the end of the season and would have done had it not been for the Brentford incident.

3. Lambert is on a long contract and I suspect, still feels pretty bulletproof(hence his outburst at Phil this week) and also knows, given that he's failed at every job he's had since Norwich, nearly 10 years ago, he won't get another management job 'should he' fail at this one.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2020 13:32]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

How toxic will it get... on 11:16 - Feb 15 with 4151 viewsBobbychase

I know it's inevitable that people will turn, but it's not compulsory. It gets talked about like it's the weather or an economic force. We're all capable of staying behind the team while the match is in progress and then venting anger after the final whistle.

There are so many examples of our recent history of how fans turning on the team during the game doesn't help. And yet it keeps happening.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

How toxic will it get... on 11:17 - Feb 15 with 4132 viewsBlueBadger

How toxic will it get... on 11:16 - Feb 15 by Bobbychase

I know it's inevitable that people will turn, but it's not compulsory. It gets talked about like it's the weather or an economic force. We're all capable of staying behind the team while the match is in progress and then venting anger after the final whistle.

There are so many examples of our recent history of how fans turning on the team during the game doesn't help. And yet it keeps happening.

It's almost like there's a small but vocal contingent of morons who don't get this.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

How toxic will it get... on 11:19 - Feb 15 with 4114 viewsBlueBadger

How toxic will it get... on 10:37 - Feb 15 by bluefunk

The last week has been almost a perfect storm of the PL nonsense, even for those of us who wanted to continue to give the benefit of the doubt. I have an instinctive mistrust of the view that he was never any good, just a PR exercise, and I am ever the optimist, but it’s become virtually impossible to support the man. With the limp performances in 4 vital games at a crucial stage of the season, followed by players interviews which amply demonstrate the acceptance of the current mediocrity, and topped off by PLs performance yesterday, he’s lost me and if history is a guide, once you lose the support of fans with my level of patience, there’s not much time left in the job.

I've been convinced he wasn't up to the job sometime around November, having long been cynical but willing to be proven wrong. It's far more depressing to be right than it is wrong sometimes.

Login to get fewer ads

How toxic will it get... on 11:24 - Feb 15 with 4086 viewsPJH

How toxic will it get... on 11:14 - Feb 15 by BlueBadger

There's a couple of factors in play here:

1 - Evans has form for not sacking/letting go incompetent managers - look how long he afforded Keane, who should have been gone by October 2009 and inexplicably got a another 15 months in the job and the last days of Jewell, who tried to hand in his resignation a number of times before Evans finally accepted it because even someone as clueless as him couldn't ignore how bad a job he was doing.

2. It was utterly toxic between Mick and the numbskulls and he was going to stay on till the end of the season and would have done had it not been for the Brentford incident.

3. Lambert is on a long contract and I suspect, still feels pretty bulletproof(hence his outburst at Phil this week) and also knows, given that he's failed at every job he's had since Norwich, nearly 10 years ago, he won't get another management job 'should he' fail at this one.

I think the difference with Paul Lambert is that he very successfully got almost the whole of the fan base behind him so if that "marriage" crumbles even more than it already is I think it will hurt him a lot.

I am sure Mick liked it when there were "Super Mick" chants but he was quite obviously not too bothered about keeping in with the fans whereas I think PL is.

As you say, what Marcus Evans does if he has to make a decision regarding PL is anyone's guess.
How toxic will it get... on 11:28 - Feb 15 with 4066 viewsLankHenners

Bigger crowds due to ticket offers tend to give a more moany atmosphere anyway so don't think it will take much for things to go South.

As mentioned above, the mass exodus before FT against Peterborough and the loud boos and jeers after it was a big turning point. As a club we don't really do that, preferring to stick our hands in our pockets and grumble.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

How toxic will it get... on 11:34 - Feb 15 with 4024 viewsbrogansnose

How toxic will it get... on 11:24 - Feb 15 by PJH

I think the difference with Paul Lambert is that he very successfully got almost the whole of the fan base behind him so if that "marriage" crumbles even more than it already is I think it will hurt him a lot.

I am sure Mick liked it when there were "Super Mick" chants but he was quite obviously not too bothered about keeping in with the fans whereas I think PL is.

As you say, what Marcus Evans does if he has to make a decision regarding PL is anyone's guess.

It always apears to me that PL has an almost pathological need to be loved and any sort of questionning - which let's face it has been mild all things considered - is met with an irrational response. Perhaps this is down to the backgound of not succeeding elsewhere after Norwich and this being likely to be his last shot at a club with some regard, or it could just be defensive because he really isn't that good. The thing that does keep fans onside is winning games and he's not too good at that.

As for Evans, if PL doesn't at least get us to Wembley playoffs, as a minimum, then surely Evans would have to act unless he's been sold on the 'building something here' spiel and that's if he doesn't walk first.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2020 12:27]
How toxic will it get... on 11:40 - Feb 15 with 3988 viewsBobbychase

How toxic will it get... on 11:17 - Feb 15 by BlueBadger

It's almost like there's a small but vocal contingent of morons who don't get this.

And who have previous.

And who are effectively holding the rest of us hostage.

As well as community day, today should be tell a moron to shut up day.

How toxic will it get... on 12:18 - Feb 15 with 3819 viewsBloomBlue

How toxic will it get... on 10:33 - Feb 15 by footers

Sir Alf statue, 2pm

I'm just walking past the statue now, looks like someone is there already.

Ignore that not a protester, well it's the Mum of a protester apparently he forgot his hat so she's waiting for him there with his hat and a flask of coffee to keep him warm - what a lovely Mum

HEY.... if you're the protester who forgot his hat your Mum is waiting for you
How toxic will it get... on 12:19 - Feb 15 with 3809 viewspointofblue

How toxic will it get... on 12:18 - Feb 15 by BloomBlue

Ignore that not a protester, well it's the Mum of a protester apparently he forgot his hat so she's waiting for him there with his hat and a flask of coffee to keep him warm - what a lovely Mum

... with your hat.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

How toxic will it get... on 12:22 - Feb 15 with 3786 viewsEdmundo

How toxic will it get... on 11:40 - Feb 15 by Bobbychase

And who have previous.

And who are effectively holding the rest of us hostage.

As well as community day, today should be tell a moron to shut up day.

If we get boos before the half/full time whistle, I'll be telling them to shut up. Loyal supporters do just that during the 90 minutes.

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

How toxic will it get... on 12:22 - Feb 15 with 3783 viewsfooters

How toxic will it get... on 12:18 - Feb 15 by BloomBlue

Sadly I am under the weather today (coronavirus-like symptoms, more likely man flu) so cannot see the protest. If anyone is able to add to your wonderful description it'd be appreciated.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

How toxic will it get... on 12:22 - Feb 15 with 3784 viewsReuser_is_God

How toxic will it get... on 11:17 - Feb 15 by BlueBadger

You don’t even go to games you tit.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

How toxic will it get... on 12:37 - Feb 15 with 3702 viewssoclopath

By recent performances if we go behind in the first half,I shudder to think what's going to happen in the second half going on the way we've played recently.
How toxic will it get... on 12:47 - Feb 15 with 3647 viewslazyblue

You get get the feeling some in SBRL want us to concede that early goal, no matter how many times players of ALL clubs say the support helps when things not right on the pitch yet fans will still try and create toxic atmosphere.
How toxic will it get... on 12:49 - Feb 15 with 3630 viewsGarv

I'm glad I don't watch the game from SBRL, I'll put it that way. Some cretins down there.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

How toxic will it get... on 13:31 - Feb 15 with 3475 viewsBlueBadger

How toxic will it get... on 12:22 - Feb 15 by Reuser_is_God

You don’t even go to games you tit.

Weird flex bro, but OK.

How toxic will it get... on 13:49 - Feb 15 with 3349 viewsJDB23

How toxic will it get... on 11:16 - Feb 15 by Bobbychase

To play Devil's advocate, there's plenty examples of us banging out 100% support and it having f all positive effect too.
How toxic will it get... on 13:56 - Feb 15 with 3301 viewsBobbychase

How toxic will it get... on 13:49 - Feb 15 by JDB23

To play Devil's advocate, there's plenty examples of us banging out 100% support and it having f all positive effect too.

True, but I look at it this way:

Getting behind the team: Helps sometimes

Getting on their backs during play: Has never helped and never will

How toxic will it get... on 14:04 - Feb 15 with 3272 viewspatrickswell

I think Lambert is finding himself in a really tight spot, now. The relegation last year could be put on to Hurst's shoulders and the players who, to judge from Bart's recent interview, regarded themselves as relegated when Lambert arrived despite his attempts to rally them - the unspoken assumption being that Bart and the other senior players regarded Hurst's signings as not up to scratch. Where Lambert was tarnished by relegation was the inability to really make a dent on the fight. There wasn't even a shock win a la Anfield 1995 to warm the supporters.
To Lambert's credit, we didn't carry the hangover into this season thanks to our start, but since October we have declined and our response to going top on January 25 has suddenly shown up the problems we've had. Basically, the team has bottled it, very publically and very damagingly. It really feels as though they want to get this season out of the way as quickly as possible in order to dampen down expectation and remove pressure. But there will be plenty of fans that will feel betrayed and let down by that if it should happen, especially those who spent last season persuading themselves that they were having a marvellous time as the roof and floor fell in around them.
How toxic will it get... on 14:35 - Feb 15 with 3179 viewsBlueBadger

How toxic will it get... on 13:49 - Feb 15 by JDB23

Don't forget all the booing that made Matt Richards into a world class player!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024