Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My patience has run out- some analysis 21:52 - Feb 11 with 1680 viewssparks

This was a game where, given recent results, 3 points was a priority.

We went into it with injuries meaning that our wing backs were defensively minded rather than creative attacking players. That is not the manager's fault- and I do not think it inherently wrong to stick with the formation and improvise accordingly. However- we needed to recognise that 2 defensive wingbacks and 3 centre backs meant that a genuinely defensive midfielder would mean we had a very conservative lineup. Even with that recognition- the lineup was not obviously hopeless.

However, it was utterly apparent, within 30 minutes, that we were creating nothing. We dominated possession throughout but made no chances. It was congested, turgid and slow. It should have been obvious that a change was needed, and that there was no necessity for a defensive player in front of a back 3 and two defensive wing backs. There was no room in behind to break- and no creativity or ability to beat a man to break down a packed defence.

Despite that- no changes were made until very late on. When the changes were made- the first was a like for like- Keane for Norwood. Keane did okay- but there was nothing about the change that had any prospect of changing the game or addressing the obvious problem. The second substitution was baffling- Sears as a wing back? Offered nothing and was far too late to effect the game in any meaningful sense.

The system and players meant that our attacking options and spare men were the wide centre backs- and the defensive wing backs. Great as a surprise breaking option. Not ever likely to succeed in breaking down a packed defence. A 532 can work that way if the wing backs are an attacking threat. Given the players available- we needed to ensure an attacking threat came from elsewhere but persisted with a defensive midfielder, covering 3 centre backs and 2 defensive wing backs- leaving a frustrated Downes, and utterly ineffective Huws puffing around to little effect in front of the Wimbledon defence.

The failure to change things and recognise the very very obvious problems was unforgiveable and myopic by Lambert. Dozzell could have supplied some creativity from Skuse's position- and there was no necessity for defensive muscle in front of a back 3, with an opposition with no ambition to get beyond half way. Mizouni and Dobra could have been included to try to provide a spark in these types of games- not part of the squad.

No pace, no width, no creativity- and not a thing done to try to change that throughout 90 minutes. Utterly ridiculous.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

My patience has run out- some analysis on 21:59 - Feb 11 with 1589 viewsitfcjoe

Lambert has totally lost his mojo, he doesn't know how to win a game - he doesn't adjust well in game

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

My patience has run out- some analysis on 22:04 - Feb 11 with 1482 viewsLankHenners

El Mizouni was sticking a free kick into the corner for Cambridge tonight but agree about Dobra - according to Lambert he held off sending him out on loan as he had a use for him here but doesn't even have him on the bench. He's young and raw but would have slotted in nicely inbetween midfield and forwards and actually tried to make something happen.

Poor line-up from the start, too defensive against a cr@p team who weren't bothered about attacking in any meaningful way, only like-for-like changes (Sears at LWB wtf?!) too late into the match.

He should have gone pre-Christmas but he'd already suckered the clueless owner into giving him a massive extension because he put a good run together whilst weaker teams were finding their feet. Not much point in him going now as it won't do much and we'll just have to hope we can recover something from here.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

My patience has run out- some analysis on 22:32 - Feb 11 with 1373 viewssparks

My patience has run out- some analysis on 22:04 - Feb 11 by LankHenners

El Mizouni was sticking a free kick into the corner for Cambridge tonight but agree about Dobra - according to Lambert he held off sending him out on loan as he had a use for him here but doesn't even have him on the bench. He's young and raw but would have slotted in nicely inbetween midfield and forwards and actually tried to make something happen.

Poor line-up from the start, too defensive against a cr@p team who weren't bothered about attacking in any meaningful way, only like-for-like changes (Sears at LWB wtf?!) too late into the match.

He should have gone pre-Christmas but he'd already suckered the clueless owner into giving him a massive extension because he put a good run together whilst weaker teams were finding their feet. Not much point in him going now as it won't do much and we'll just have to hope we can recover something from here.

It is very difficult to understand how Lambert approached this. We often disagree with managers decisions- but I find the approach today inexplicable. Has he bogged himself down in so much thought and counter thought that he cannot see wood for trees? He cannot be so naive and uninsightful as the decisions recently suggest.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

My patience has run out- some analysis on 22:34 - Feb 11 with 1353 viewshadleighboyblue

Agree with you about Dobra , the team wants some raw talent that is not afraid to do things like taking players on . We were told he didn't go out on loan because he was going to be involved here but he's not even making the bench .

Tonight's game sounded like a local league game , both teams sounded awful .

Lambert sounds like he hasn't got a clue what to do ….he actually just said he couldn't ask any more of his players ! it worries me that he is in denial of how poor things are and how much our players are underperforming .

It won't happen , but I'd be quite happy if he went now .
My patience has run out- some analysis on 22:34 - Feb 11 with 1339 viewssparks

My patience has run out- some analysis on 22:34 - Feb 11 by hadleighboyblue

Agree with you about Dobra , the team wants some raw talent that is not afraid to do things like taking players on . We were told he didn't go out on loan because he was going to be involved here but he's not even making the bench .

Tonight's game sounded like a local league game , both teams sounded awful .

Lambert sounds like he hasn't got a clue what to do ….he actually just said he couldn't ask any more of his players ! it worries me that he is in denial of how poor things are and how much our players are underperforming .

It won't happen , but I'd be quite happy if he went now .

In many respects we played well- dominated possession, played some decent stuff in tight spots nuder pressure. We were just set up without any creativity at all.

My patience has run out- some analysis on 22:39 - Feb 11 with 1271 viewsLankHenners

My patience has run out- some analysis on 22:32 - Feb 11 by sparks

It is very difficult to understand how Lambert approached this. We often disagree with managers decisions- but I find the approach today inexplicable. Has he bogged himself down in so much thought and counter thought that he cannot see wood for trees? He cannot be so naive and uninsightful as the decisions recently suggest.

Yeah, a lot of fan comment about 'tactical nous' etc. is often frustrated naivety about something more complicated but Lambert just seems out of his depth. Destructive rotation ruined the good start, then whilst a settled system steadied things a little it seems like he hoped just doing that would be enough.

He really does appear to not be aware of the situation or know a solution to fix it and is just hoping something will come of nothing.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

My patience has run out- some analysis on 23:01 - Feb 11 with 1185 viewshamburger_sv

Wimbledon are one of the rubbish teams in this league fighting relegation, and we cannot defeat them. How are we going to fare against midtable teams like Burton Albion, Oxford United, Fleetwood Town, and Blackpool?

Poll: Who would be the best owner for Ipswich Town?

My patience has run out- some analysis on 23:07 - Feb 11 with 1126 viewsreusersfreekicks

Did Sears actually play at left wing back?
Login to get fewer ads

My patience has run out- some analysis on 23:08 - Feb 11 with 1106 viewsMrTown

My patience has run out- some analysis on 21:59 - Feb 11 by itfcjoe

Lambert has totally lost his mojo, he doesn't know how to win a game - he doesn't adjust well in game

He loves a 70th minute sub.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

My patience has run out- some analysis on 23:38 - Feb 11 with 973 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sears as a WB

Although makes about as much sense as Edwards I suppose.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024