Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Freddie upfront 12:19 - Feb 10 with 3846 viewsbazgammon

I know he has a lot of critics on here, but surely our only proven championship striker Freddie Sears needs a run up front now. He's been hardly involved since his been back in contention and playing him wide is a waste of time and the reason he's goal ratio hasn't been as high as if should have been even allowing for injuries. I think he and Norwood could work well together. Jackson is a one trick pony imo relying solely on pace and I don't see Keane as the big target man we really need although he has been better until the last 3 games. Ideally with Bishop in the No:10 role if he can stay fit that is to provide the bullets. Goals win games and unless the strikers start firing in next dozen-fifteen games then we will be in the 3rd tier next year. Freddie needs to start!

Poll: Lambert

Freddie upfront on 14:37 - Feb 10 with 450 viewsgordon

Freddie upfront on 14:31 - Feb 10 by StokieBlue

Jackson has scored 2 goals in the last 7 games.
Norwood has scored 2 goals in the last 7 games (1 was a penalty)

So your "earlier in the season" point isn't true. The statistical evidence is fairly clear in my opinion.

As you say though, it's a game of opinions and you are certainly entitled to yours - it be correct over the longer term.

SB

Norwood has a goal every 168 minutes, Jackson every 250 minutes, Keane every 300 minutes. Appreciate the point about penalties and assists, though. Norwood has had more than twice as many attempts on goal than Jackson as well, despite playing less minutes.

As long as it's not Keane and Jackson playing together though I'm fine.
Freddie upfront on 14:49 - Feb 10 with 427 viewsStokieBlue

Freddie upfront on 14:37 - Feb 10 by gordon

Norwood has a goal every 168 minutes, Jackson every 250 minutes, Keane every 300 minutes. Appreciate the point about penalties and assists, though. Norwood has had more than twice as many attempts on goal than Jackson as well, despite playing less minutes.

As long as it's not Keane and Jackson playing together though I'm fine.

I would argue a lot of that is because he is much more selfish than Jackson. He could have played in Jackson loads of times but looks to shoot whilst Jackson often (sometimes too often) looks for his striking partner.

You do want a certain level of selfishness in a striker though.

I just think Jackson should be one of the two and would be happy to see a return to Jackson and Norwood.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Freddie upfront on 14:55 - Feb 10 with 420 viewsbazgammon

Freddie upfront on 13:31 - Feb 10 by Parky

We'll have to agree to disagree here.

"Sears has scored goals at a higher level than Div 2." - I don't really see what relevance this has when he's scored 21 goals in 5 years.

For the record, I'm not saying "I don't like him" or not to give him a chance; however, his statistics show he isn't going to be the goalscorer we need or what some of our fans think he is.

Fair enough, what i'm saying is the others are not doing the business in the last 6 games or so then surely Sears deserves to start for 3 or four games, something has to change. Maybe bring Morris into the equation if he is fit, im not sure what his fitness is at present.

Poll: Lambert

Freddie upfront on 15:16 - Feb 10 with 399 viewsRadlett_blue

Freddie upfront on 14:55 - Feb 10 by bazgammon

Fair enough, what i'm saying is the others are not doing the business in the last 6 games or so then surely Sears deserves to start for 3 or four games, something has to change. Maybe bring Morris into the equation if he is fit, im not sure what his fitness is at present.

If Sears isn't playing much for the first team as he isn't match fit/sharp, why isn't he playing any U23 games?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Freddie upfront on 16:55 - Feb 10 with 370 viewsPilgrimblue

Freddie upfront on 13:38 - Feb 10 by gordon

At the moment we struggle desperately to put the ball in the net, particularly against decent teams. I'd be picking the two strikers most likely to get into scoring positions and put away a chance - for me that's Sears and Norwood.

I know Norwood's finishing is a bit ropey but his movement is easily the best out of any of our forwards.

EDIT: I do agree with the above that Jackson gets a bit of a rough deal though. The one I don't understand is Will Keane, for he's pretty average, he likes to drop deeper into non-threatening positions to play a nice lay-off now and then, but he never looks like much of a goal threat.

[Post edited 10 Feb 2020 13:43]

Correct but not sure that FS is the answer. I'd put him in at no.10 and have Morris with either of other two. Scoring goals is all about confidence so would look at who's scoring for our other teams
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024