Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our strike force 08:04 - Feb 7 with 6529 viewsKeaneish

The lads on Blue Monday raised a lot of interesting points this week during what was probably the most sombre podcast of theirs i've ever listened to, for obvious reasons. There was a unanimous feeling that the Posh's strike force is easily better than ours and that we're looking at our strike force through a lens of what has been rather than the now. Is that true?

As Maddison is still a Posh player for now i've kept him in and selected Bishop over the ailing Judge regardless of whether you think Bishop is a number 10 or not, he can play there.
Which 5 of these would you select?

Maddison, Szmodics, Eisa, Toney, Dembele

Keane, Norwood, Sears, Jackson, Bishop

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] テつ」2.65 Million and Waiting?

Our strike force on 08:08 - Feb 7 with 4428 viewsIpswichKnight

Posh's everytime.
Our strike force on 08:20 - Feb 7 with 4394 viewsKeaneish

Our strike force on 08:08 - Feb 7 by IpswichKnight

Posh's everytime.

Is that because we lost 4-1 or you actually think man-for-man they're better?

I see nothing in their career stats, their experience or the games i've seen them play to suggest they're far superior to what we have. We were shockingly bad at defending on Saturday rather than them being exceptional (maybe Szomdic's aside).

Put it another way. Either ors....

Toney or Norwood
Szmodic or Bishop
Eisa or Keane
Maddison or Sears
Dembele or Jackson
[Post edited 7 Feb 2020 8:23]

Our strike force on 08:24 - Feb 7 with 4378 viewsBackToRussia

Our strike force on 08:20 - Feb 7 by Keaneish

I see nothing in their career stats, their experience or the games i've seen them play to suggest they're far superior to what we have. We were shockingly bad at defending on Saturday rather than them being exceptional (maybe Szomdic's aside).

Toney or Norwood
Szmodic or Bishop
Eisa or Keane
Maddison or Sears
Dembele or Jackson

Fook the stats. They tore us apart because they play well as A TEAM. We look like strangers half the time. When we do (v rarely) pull off a good team move it's like a miracle rather than an expected outcome of good coaching and understanding between the players.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Our strike force on 08:26 - Feb 7 with 4371 viewsitfcjoe

Toney is the best striker in the division, for me - he seems to have the lot and will go much higher.

Szmodics blows hot and cold, but Peterborough set themselves up in a way that means they get the best out of the strikers as are effectively a shop window.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Our strike force on 08:28 - Feb 7 with 4351 viewsBackToRussia

Toney or Norwood
Szmodic or Bishop
Eisa or Keane
Maddison or Sears
Dembele or Jackson

Also if you want to go on stats, in what way is Bishop ahead of Szmozdic? He's not played a game in about 5 years!!

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Our strike force on 08:30 - Feb 7 with 4346 viewsChrisd

Our strike force on 08:24 - Feb 7 by BackToRussia

Fook the stats. They tore us apart because they play well as A TEAM. We look like strangers half the time. When we do (v rarely) pull off a good team move it's like a miracle rather than an expected outcome of good coaching and understanding between the players.

You consider how long PL has been working with this squad of players and they still play like strangers. It really is a worry that we just haven't progressed or show little sign of doing so. I certainly don't think PL is up to the job, but I still believe that many over-hype our players believing they are better than what they really are. Case in point with the OP, it would be the whole Posh attacking options over ours every time for me, but we've still got the best squad in the league apparently?!

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Our strike force on 08:33 - Feb 7 with 4326 viewsBackToRussia

Our strike force on 08:30 - Feb 7 by Chrisd

You consider how long PL has been working with this squad of players and they still play like strangers. It really is a worry that we just haven't progressed or show little sign of doing so. I certainly don't think PL is up to the job, but I still believe that many over-hype our players believing they are better than what they really are. Case in point with the OP, it would be the whole Posh attacking options over ours every time for me, but we've still got the best squad in the league apparently?!

When PL came in, the first thing he did was get us to try and play more fluidly, more passing. I thought, great, he's going to try to turn us into his Nodge team, fluent, aggressive, attacking etc. I think he could be forgiven for abandoning that if it had brought any modicum of short term success last year. As it is, we never looked like beating relegation, and we never looked like putting together a coherent team approach either. It's nothing, it's just treading water.

Honestly I think Hurst was right in a small way, a lot of these players are trading on reputation, and not results.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Our strike force on 08:38 - Feb 7 with 4302 viewsKeaneish

Our strike force on 08:24 - Feb 7 by BackToRussia

They tore us apart because our defending was atrocious and we consistently failed to get anywhere near close to our men who found easy pockets of space to turn or play first time balls all afternoon. For those saying Wilson is a good defender, see last Saturday. Horrendous for 3 of their goals.

Goal 1: Allows Toney 15 yards of space, then is in no-mans land and isn't tight to Dembele before making a wild lunge and giving away a pen. 3 mistakes in one.

Goal 3: Can't recover and allows Dembele plenty of time and stands off him 5 yards giving him time to shoot

Goal 4: misses the flight of the ball allowing it to run through to Szmodic.

Tactically naive from PL not to change it but woeful from Wilson. Anyway, back to strikers...

Login to get fewer ads

Our strike force on 08:39 - Feb 7 with 4297 viewsHerbivore

The definitely have better attacking options than us. Toney is miles better than anything we have.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Our strike force on 08:39 - Feb 7 with 4295 viewsBackToRussia

Our strike force on 08:38 - Feb 7 by Keaneish

They tore us apart because our defending was atrocious and we consistently failed to get anywhere near close to our men who found easy pockets of space to turn or play first time balls all afternoon. For those saying Wilson is a good defender, see last Saturday. Horrendous for 3 of their goals.

Goal 1: Allows Toney 15 yards of space, then is in no-mans land and isn't tight to Dembele before making a wild lunge and giving away a pen. 3 mistakes in one.

Goal 3: Can't recover and allows Dembele plenty of time and stands off him 5 yards giving him time to shoot

Tactically naive from PL not to change it but woeful from Wilson. Anyway, back to strikers...

Posh must have a pretty good defence then, to not let our amazing strike force in once?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Our strike force on 08:43 - Feb 7 with 4288 viewsKeaneish

Our strike force on 08:26 - Feb 7 by itfcjoe

Toney is the best striker in the division, for me - he seems to have the lot and will go much higher.

Szmodics blows hot and cold, but Peterborough set themselves up in a way that means they get the best out of the strikers as are effectively a shop window.

I don't see too much between Toney and Norwood. I'd take either in my side. Agreed he might well play higher but haven't seen enough of him to see how clinical he is. hey had a spell of 6 games i think it was without registering this season which may suggest he has a bit of the Norwood's about him.

Eisa for Keane? Maddison for Sears? It's not as clear cut as the Blue Monday lot made out i don't think.

Our strike force on 08:43 - Feb 7 with 4286 viewsChrisd

Our strike force on 08:33 - Feb 7 by BackToRussia

When PL came in, the first thing he did was get us to try and play more fluidly, more passing. I thought, great, he's going to try to turn us into his Nodge team, fluent, aggressive, attacking etc. I think he could be forgiven for abandoning that if it had brought any modicum of short term success last year. As it is, we never looked like beating relegation, and we never looked like putting together a coherent team approach either. It's nothing, it's just treading water.

Honestly I think Hurst was right in a small way, a lot of these players are trading on reputation, and not results.

No, I agree. Those first few performances in the Championship there was a change in approach and a concerted effort to play out from the back. We didn't do it well enough and didn't have the players to do it, but there was a change and it gave me some hope in going forwards, especially long term. Now that's all been abandoned and honestly, I think I could've achieved what PL has done with this group of players. There's no identity or style of play and we look no closer to achieving it either. To me, it looks a squad of players thrown together and told to get on with it most Saturdays or Tuesday nights. What is worked on, on the training ground?

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Our strike force on 08:44 - Feb 7 with 4275 viewsBackToRussia

Our strike force on 08:43 - Feb 7 by Chrisd

No, I agree. Those first few performances in the Championship there was a change in approach and a concerted effort to play out from the back. We didn't do it well enough and didn't have the players to do it, but there was a change and it gave me some hope in going forwards, especially long term. Now that's all been abandoned and honestly, I think I could've achieved what PL has done with this group of players. There's no identity or style of play and we look no closer to achieving it either. To me, it looks a squad of players thrown together and told to get on with it most Saturdays or Tuesday nights. What is worked on, on the training ground?

From those closer to the team and dressing room, it seems that the players were unhappy that they essentially did zero work on the shape they might be asked to play on Saturday. If they even knew which one it'd be. It beggars belief. I would go so far as to say that makes PL incompetent and a fraud if it's true.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Our strike force on 08:49 - Feb 7 with 4264 viewsKeaneish

Our strike force on 08:43 - Feb 7 by Chrisd

I think it's more the other other way. He's tried a lot, too much. Every game a new approach or a new system or a tinker here or there cost us. When we did finally get a system that was working and it needed tinkering to accommodate Rotherham, we rested on our laurels. It feels hapless, naive and like we're relying on better players to win it.

Perfect example of naivety in my opinion is the Rotherham game. We know they're going to launch balls into our box with their giants and we have a 6'7" keeper o the bench! I get that Norris could remain for consistency and he'd done well in a few games but so what? Nobody would have begrudged the decision to bring Holy in for that game to sweep every high ball up and completely nullify Rotherham's main threat.

Our strike force on 08:49 - Feb 7 with 4260 viewsHerbivore

Our strike force on 08:38 - Feb 7 by Keaneish

They had good movement to exploit the deficiencies in the likes of Wilson. There's a reason Wilson looked a decent CB against the likes of Tranmere and Lincoln but looked every inch a lower league player on Saturday. Peterborough do not have a good defence and yet we barely laid a glove on them. I think if you look at goals and assists over the season too it would tend to back up that probably only Jackson - who Posh are keen on - would get much game time for them.

Our strike force on 08:55 - Feb 7 with 4233 viewsKeaneish

Our strike force on 08:49 - Feb 7 by Herbivore

They had good movement to exploit the deficiencies in the likes of Wilson. There's a reason Wilson looked a decent CB against the likes of Tranmere and Lincoln but looked every inch a lower league player on Saturday. Peterborough do not have a good defence and yet we barely laid a glove on them. I think if you look at goals and assists over the season too it would tend to back up that probably only Jackson - who Posh are keen on - would get much game time for them.

Their movement exploited the huge gap we had in front of our back three as we sit Wilson so deep to sweep up. The first goal was laughable. The amount of space he had was criminal and that's with Skuse in the side.

I think Norwood is a better striker than Jackson and he'd get in my pick of 5 strikers. I'd likely choose:

Toney, Norwood, Sears, Bishop and Szmodic

Our strike force on 08:59 - Feb 7 with 4208 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Posh for me.

Can even add Ricky Jade Jones into the equation, that is a hell of a strike force.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Our strike force on 09:08 - Feb 7 with 4169 viewsCoastalblue

I think Toney's a step above, beyond that though I think the main difference is that they are playing to their strengths, we never do.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Our strike force on 09:19 - Feb 7 with 4131 viewsSWGF

Toney or Norwood
Szmodic or Bishop
Eisa or Keane
Maddison or Sears
Dembele or Jackson

Wouldn't you take their player in every one of those instances (apart from maybe Jackson over Dembele, possibly)?

Think you'll see how they're rated in their next transfer values.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Our strike force on 09:22 - Feb 7 with 4120 viewsPecker

On paper our strike force should be good enough for this league, but in reality, it isn't. I would take Peterborough's squad over ours, let alone their strike force.
Our strike force on 09:55 - Feb 7 with 4056 viewsHerbivore

Our strike force on 08:55 - Feb 7 by Keaneish

Their movement exploited the huge gap we had in front of our back three as we sit Wilson so deep to sweep up. The first goal was laughable. The amount of space he had was criminal and that's with Skuse in the side.

I think Norwood is a better striker than Jackson and he'd get in my pick of 5 strikers. I'd likely choose:

Toney, Norwood, Sears, Bishop and Szmodic

Disagree. I think I'd probably take Jackson over Dembele but that would be it, the other four would all be Posh players I think.

Our strike force on 10:01 - Feb 7 with 4030 viewscrossyitfc

Posh. Purely on the basis that Ivan Toney is by the best player in this division. He wouldn't look out of place in the Prem.
Our strike force on 10:14 - Feb 7 with 4009 viewsHarry_Palmer

Toney or Norwood
Szmodic or Bishop
Eisa or Keane
Maddison or Sears
Dembele or Jackson

Maddison is on loan at Hull now isn't he? But in any case going with that five i'm afraid that on current form it is a 5-0 whitewash to the Posh.

Bishop is potentially better than Szmodics but as he is never fit and only has 1 senior goal in about 5 years you have to go with Szmodics.

You could argue a case for Jackson over Dembele although the latter did look very good last week and is the more skilful player. Perversely I think Jackson would actually do very well in that Posh team, alongside Toney.

Toney is streets ahead of Norwood.
Our strike force on 10:23 - Feb 7 with 3993 viewsr2d2

Toney or Norwood
Szmodic or Bishop
Eisa or Keane
Maddison or Sears
Dembele or Jackson

Man for man their strike force is way superior. What were you watching?
Our strike force on 10:56 - Feb 7 with 3958 viewsKeaneish

Our strike force on 10:23 - Feb 7 by r2d2

Man for man their strike force is way superior. What were you watching?

The same game as you and i saw our defensive frailties being the difference rather than their attacking superiority being the telling factor as epitomised by Posh's first goal.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024