Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
That would be a good move. 12:04 - Feb 5 with 815 viewshomer_123

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51377202

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

That would be a good move. on 12:22 - Feb 5 with 729 viewsStokieBlue

Certainly a good move with regards to stopping people getting into gambling problems.

Might be the driver which pushes a few larger clubs over the edge as well:

However, he also said: "Stoke City survives on the money we put into it."

I wonder how many clubs rely on their gambling advertising cashflows?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

That would be a good move. on 12:26 - Feb 5 with 715 viewsfooters

That would be a good move. on 12:22 - Feb 5 by StokieBlue

Certainly a good move with regards to stopping people getting into gambling problems.

Might be the driver which pushes a few larger clubs over the edge as well:

However, he also said: "Stoke City survives on the money we put into it."

I wonder how many clubs rely on their gambling advertising cashflows?

SB

But with Stoke they don't have to stop funding the club through Bet365, do they? Just sell the sponsorship rights to someone else. So I don't really understand his point there. And if his daughter can take home a £323m pay packet I'm not sure talking in terms of 'survival' is warranted either!

P.S. Yes, a very good move. It would also mean we got rid of our current disgusting sponsor's logo too. Wonder how much, if any, we've lost in shirt sales because of it?
[Post edited 5 Feb 2020 12:27]

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

That would be a good move. on 12:38 - Feb 5 with 666 viewsuefacup81

Certainly an interesting article, which raises two questions from me:

1) Is this all about appearances? Perhaps the gambling companies involved have realised/noticed that shirt sponsorship and hoardings don't have the desired effect any more, and are uneconomical? They can cut off an unprofitable revenue stream, whilst looking like they're taking the moral high ground. I don't believe for one minute they'd be suggesting this if the sponsorships in question worked.

2) What would such a ban mean for smaller clubs who wouldn't get anywhere like the sponsorship income from non-gambling sponsors? Slightly different sector, but take a look at When Saturday Comes - they've really struggled financially since they decided not to have gambling-related adverts in the magazine.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

That would be a good move. on 12:40 - Feb 5 with 655 viewsStokieBlue

That would be a good move. on 12:26 - Feb 5 by footers

But with Stoke they don't have to stop funding the club through Bet365, do they? Just sell the sponsorship rights to someone else. So I don't really understand his point there. And if his daughter can take home a £323m pay packet I'm not sure talking in terms of 'survival' is warranted either!

P.S. Yes, a very good move. It would also mean we got rid of our current disgusting sponsor's logo too. Wonder how much, if any, we've lost in shirt sales because of it?
[Post edited 5 Feb 2020 12:27]

It's not really a Stoke specific problem, that was just the example in the article.

Realistically, who would want to sponsor those 17 championship teams for anything like the money the gambling companies are paying?

I doubt Grandmas Oatcakes pay quite the same.

As I said though, none of that means it shouldn't be done - it should and the sooner the better.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

That would be a good move. on 13:35 - Feb 5 with 531 viewsBrianTablet

That would be a good move. on 12:40 - Feb 5 by StokieBlue

It's not really a Stoke specific problem, that was just the example in the article.

Realistically, who would want to sponsor those 17 championship teams for anything like the money the gambling companies are paying?

I doubt Grandmas Oatcakes pay quite the same.

As I said though, none of that means it shouldn't be done - it should and the sooner the better.

SB

The money all goes on inflated wages to players/agents anyway.
Take that money out of the game and what is left?

It'd be the same product, with fewer overpaid footballers.
The mercenary journeymen would disappear to another league/country.
You'd maybe get more loyalty and a better connection between fans and their team.
I'm not even convinced the standard would be any lower.

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024