Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light 21:36 - Feb 4 with 7318 viewsunstableblue

Worth spending time watching this video and perhaps re-reading my thoughts and another article at the bottom of this post. These two co-Directors of Football have stayed constant through changes of manager, truly ensuring continuity of their defined attractive style of football:

The article confirms a progressive club (Brentford) and the fact that Thomas Frank would seamlessly continue the club's technical strategy when replacing Dean Smith....

(From a fan)
"Just a cog in the Brentford fc wheel.. love how these clueless people who think the way we play was down to Smith"

I get shot down for using the term technical about Ipswich and our failings to be technical and hire technical..... well the late technical director of Brentford Robert Rowan forged that technical approach.. where a system of play, a choice of technical player, a style of passing is bigger than the manager... now continued by the co-Directors.

This from Dean Smith:

But for Smith, the fact his entire squad of players have such a deep understanding of the Brentford way of football is one of the greatest pleasures.

He said: "We have 18 or 19 players that I have changed around for the last six games."

"However, such is the understanding of our structure, style of play, and of each other, that the players who have come in have adapted well. I don’t think anybody could say that there has been a change in our style, or how we have played, and that is one of the things that gives me the greatest pleasure. Whoever goes in knows how we play and the structure of the team."

And that technical style and system is entertaining and on the ground, about shapes, running and movement.

Unlike the Brentford manager, Marcus has failed to instill a structure, a leadership team, a strategy and a single manager to get us anywhere close to this, or other more progressive/technical clubs. He has talked to it, he has five point plans, but he has not hired effectively.

Keane, Jewell, Mick, Hurst...Clegg, Milne.. not what the fans or club needed for the long term. Keane and Jewell seemed to lack a clear footballing approach. Mick papered over issues, the lack of funding, with a style of play and ethos that would never see Town succeed in the long term, to progress as a coherent footballing project. Ever.

Now we have Lambert..... I'm not seeing a system of play, evidence of technical training that instills a purpose and ethos of play. And indeed Lambert doesn’t have the structure around him for a modern club, and his subordinates do not seem to progressive in behaviour and approach.

All very worrying. I just hope we can get some momentum and get the system that has been good in some games firing again. Keep in the hunt, get promoted and rethink.

You cannot succeed in football in 2020 without strategy, alignment and a technical foundation.

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/brentford-supporters-want-this-manager-to-

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

And compare player wage bill on 21:51 - Feb 4 with 4474 viewsunstableblue

2 million less than Ipswich in the Championship - and playing us off the park, and finishing at the other end of the table.

9th and 12th the season before, but one team progressing..,,... another mired it hopeless football, turning fans away, and moaning /justifying it on a lack of squad investment...

Its all about being technical as a club, as a player and as a manager. We need to wake up to root caused of our issue.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 22:12]

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Lets take Oxford..... on 22:11 - Feb 4 with 4408 viewsunstableblue

An excellent TECHNICAL manager in Robinson, players look comfortable in posession, own the ball, always have options.... we managed to win the physical battle in the rain, but you can see Oxford team and players pedigree and level of coaching

And of course its more than Robinson, they have had kept continuation in their hugely experienced assistant manager and recruitment analyst - Derek Fazackerley.

Derek is among the most respected coaches in English football, having worked as Head Coach at Newcastle United in the Premier League and as England Assistant Manager under Kevin Keegan. Derek has also worked at Blackburn, Bolton Wanderers and Barnsley, and alongside Sven Goran Eriksson at Manchester City. More recently he has been Assistant Manager at Leicester City.

We have had Terry Connor, Doige and Taylor. WAKE UP

Lets take Oxford..... on 22:24 - Feb 4 with 4334 viewspatrickswell

Lets take Oxford..... on 22:11 - Feb 4 by unstableblue

An excellent TECHNICAL manager in Robinson, players look comfortable in posession, own the ball, always have options.... we managed to win the physical battle in the rain, but you can see Oxford team and players pedigree and level of coaching

And of course its more than Robinson, they have had kept continuation in their hugely experienced assistant manager and recruitment analyst - Derek Fazackerley.

Derek is among the most respected coaches in English football, having worked as Head Coach at Newcastle United in the Premier League and as England Assistant Manager under Kevin Keegan. Derek has also worked at Blackburn, Bolton Wanderers and Barnsley, and alongside Sven Goran Eriksson at Manchester City. More recently he has been Assistant Manager at Leicester City.

We have had Terry Connor, Doige and Taylor. WAKE UP

Connor’s got nothing to be ashamed of and was assistant through our one decent period in the last 10 years.

Doig can jump in the sea agreed. Jury still out on Taylor.
More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 22:26 - Feb 4 with 4313 viewsHerbivore

You also described Rotherham as technical. They made a Mick side look like 1982 Brazil. That's why people take the piss out of you.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 22:29 - Feb 4 with 4304 viewsBlueBadger

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 22:26 - Feb 4 by Herbivore

You also described Rotherham as technical. They made a Mick side look like 1982 Brazil. That's why people take the piss out of you.

They're technical in that 'technically', they're better than us, having finished above us last season, beaten us twice and ahead of us this season as.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lets take Oxford..... on 22:37 - Feb 4 with 4282 viewsunstableblue

Lets take Oxford..... on 22:24 - Feb 4 by patrickswell

Connor’s got nothing to be ashamed of and was assistant through our one decent period in the last 10 years.

Doig can jump in the sea agreed. Jury still out on Taylor.

I have to disagree.

My opinion, which I think is well evidenced via the style of football, possession stats, passing stats, fan contentment. Is that Mick and Terry should have been nothing more than a stop gap, they were note technical nor progressive. They and the structure of non-footballing chief executive, ill qualified to even lead the non-footballing side,and with no technical director / footballing director in place was just another ill advised move in Marcus' slow and painful demotion of this glorious club.

Evidence - why did teams such as Brentford, paying lesser wages come to Portman Road week in week outpass and outplay us? team after team. Results over progress... no, a foundation of sand. WAKE UP

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 22:38 - Feb 4 with 4276 viewsMelford

But they've shut their academy down. It's not a road I'd like to see us go down, it'll work alright whilst they've got decent scouts finding these prospects but I can't see it working long-term. We've always had a decent supply line of kids coming through, even in the sad state we are in now Downes and the Wolf who cost us nothing could be realistically net us 8 figures if we sell them on.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/05/brentford-ditched-their-academy

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Lets take Oxford..... on 22:45 - Feb 4 with 4242 viewsBlueBadger

Lets take Oxford..... on 22:37 - Feb 4 by unstableblue

I have to disagree.

My opinion, which I think is well evidenced via the style of football, possession stats, passing stats, fan contentment. Is that Mick and Terry should have been nothing more than a stop gap, they were note technical nor progressive. They and the structure of non-footballing chief executive, ill qualified to even lead the non-footballing side,and with no technical director / footballing director in place was just another ill advised move in Marcus' slow and painful demotion of this glorious club.

Evidence - why did teams such as Brentford, paying lesser wages come to Portman Road week in week outpass and outplay us? team after team. Results over progress... no, a foundation of sand. WAKE UP

If you don't get results you won't progress at all. Look where Lamberts 'improved performances' that you spent most of last season purring over got us.
We're where we are not because our managers haven't been very 'technical' over the last ten years, we're where we are because our managers have mostly been sh1t over the last ten years.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Login to get fewer ads

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 22:49 - Feb 4 with 4218 viewsReuser_is_God

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 22:26 - Feb 4 by Herbivore

To be fair to Rotherham that lad in midfield for them (Barlaser?) put all of our supposed ball players to shame the other week.

Also their wingers were the most skilful players on the pitch.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Lets take Oxford..... on 22:50 - Feb 4 with 4208 viewsHerbivore

Lets take Oxford..... on 22:37 - Feb 4 by unstableblue

I have to disagree.

Terry Connor helped to turn Daryl Murphy into one of the best strikers in the Championship. He did a pretty good job here as a coach.

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 22:52 - Feb 4 with 4195 viewsHerbivore

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 22:49 - Feb 4 by Reuser_is_God

To be fair to Rotherham that lad in midfield for them (Barlaser?) put all of our supposed ball players to shame the other week.

But they were massively direct and physical at the same time. They bullied us. It's odd that the OP lumps them in with a passing side like Brentford.

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 22:53 - Feb 4 with 4177 viewsReuser_is_God

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 22:52 - Feb 4 by Herbivore

But they were massively direct and physical at the same time. They bullied us. It's odd that the OP lumps them in with a passing side like Brentford.

Oh yes I’m not denying that, I’m just adding that despite being a physical side they still had 3 players that were better than anything we have technically.

To compare them to Brentford is bizarre.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 22:54 - Feb 4 with 4186 viewsBlueBadger

Brentford's 'progressive' approach is based around closing their youth academy and hoping to keep selling big from bargains. It's about as cynically opposite to being a 'technical' club as you can get.

Lets take Oxford..... on 22:56 - Feb 4 with 4158 viewsunstableblue

Lets take Oxford..... on 22:45 - Feb 4 by BlueBadger

If you don't get results you won't progress at all. Look where Lamberts 'improved performances' that you spent most of last season purring over got us.
We're where we are not because our managers haven't been very 'technical' over the last ten years, we're where we are because our managers have mostly been sh1t over the last ten years.

I never purred that's an exaggeration. I absolutely stand by the point that at least Lambert was making some progress in making us better on the ball and in possession, and to start to pass better through defence into midfield. Where he has not progressed is a system of play that allows us to break the lines and pull defence out of position and flood the box at the right time.We remain toothless.

Hope I'm wrong about Lambert. And he isn't a sh!t manager.

I agree we have hired sh!t managers under Marcus. But you seem to have read none of my above posts,read the articles and watched the video. Its not just about a technical manager which I think it is without doubt we have not hired, and is essential, its about the footballing team that sits above, around, the manager, and implements the strategy of an owner who understands how to drive a club forward in the 1990s and 2000s. Marcus seems to have failed on all counts.

How can you argue with this? Why do you think we are failing???

Our hope is that Lambert can pull some form out of the team and get a system that works, driven by form from the likes of Bishop, Huws and the returning KVY. And then we need to have a massive re-think on how we run the club.

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 22:56 - Feb 4 with 4150 viewsHerbivore

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 22:53 - Feb 4 by Reuser_is_God

Oh yes I’m not denying that, I’m just adding that despite being a physical side they still had 3 players that were better than anything we have technically.

To compare them to Brentford is bizarre.

They earned the right to play. I'm not sure their players were techncially better than the likes of Huws and Downes, for example, but they won the battle and that allowed them to play. You can be the prettiest footballer in the world but you've got to give yourself a platform to show it.

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 22:57 - Feb 4 with 4153 viewsElderGrizzly

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 22:54 - Feb 4 by BlueBadger

Brentford's 'progressive' approach is based around closing their youth academy and hoping to keep selling big from bargains. It's about as cynically opposite to being a 'technical' club as you can get.

Indeed. Our Academy is £2.2m a year.

Would people rather see that spent on fees/wages for 1st team?

Brentford are clearly good at what they do and we could learn a lot from their structure, but I think the academy is a key part of that machine
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 22:58]
More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 23:03 - Feb 4 with 4104 viewsunstableblue

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 22:54 - Feb 4 by BlueBadger

Oh dear!

That completely proves my point!!! They are driving a very clear strategy, and it it to focus on an Elite Development Squad, pulling players from local teams at 16.

You may not agree with it, I'm not sure I do - but its a clear strategy, they assessed their status, and felt this was right for them.

https://www.brentfordfc.com/news/2016/may/club-statement-brentford-academy-restr

Read more about it.... on 23:08 - Feb 4 with 4089 viewsunstableblue

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 22:57 - Feb 4 by ElderGrizzly

Indeed. Our Academy is £2.2m a year.

Would people rather see that spent on fees/wages for 1st team?

Brentford are clearly good at what they do and we could learn a lot from their structure, but I think the academy is a key part of that machine
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 22:58]

You need to understand what they're doing?:

https://www.football.london/championship/brentford-rasmus-ankersen-transfer-plan

I agree it does not appeal to all. but when you actually look into it, you realise a focus on a B team, the recruitment of players with massive room for growth, and critically can come into a TECHNICALLY managed and coached team,with clear approach.

Read about it... on 23:12 - Feb 4 with 4077 viewsunstableblue

... https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/05/brentford-ditched-their-academy

You may not agree - but what SINGS out from these articles is this... Brentford are a club being run with a very clear footballing strategy, you may not like the technical term... but if I rephrase that they are mandating a strategy,with objectives, with an expectation of how players should play, and the system followed does that make it more pallatable?

Now this may all fail? but it is a million miles from how Marcus has set-up Town as an organisation. They are 5th in the Championship and playing great football, we are hanging on in the promotion race from League One.

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 23:16 - Feb 4 with 4053 viewsunstableblue

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 22:38 - Feb 4 by Melford

But they've shut their academy down. It's not a road I'd like to see us go down, it'll work alright whilst they've got decent scouts finding these prospects but I can't see it working long-term. We've always had a decent supply line of kids coming through, even in the sad state we are in now Downes and the Wolf who cost us nothing could be realistically net us 8 figures if we sell them on.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/05/brentford-ditched-their-academy

Did you read that article?

Because I agree I'm not sure I would want to close our academy for the reasons you sight.

Doesn't what they're doing sound very well thought out and executed thought? And it isn't the shutting down of developing youth - its a well funded B Team, that plays very competitive matches,in front of good crowds,with players they have collected from Premier League academies and lower league european sides, thanks to excellent scouting.

Its a strategy,at least they've got one.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 23:26]

And compare player wage bill on 23:18 - Feb 4 with 4045 viewsArnieM

And compare player wage bill on 21:51 - Feb 4 by unstableblue

2 million less than Ipswich in the Championship - and playing us off the park, and finishing at the other end of the table.

9th and 12th the season before, but one team progressing..,,... another mired it hopeless football, turning fans away, and moaning /justifying it on a lack of squad investment...

Its all about being technical as a club, as a player and as a manager. We need to wake up to root caused of our issue.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 22:12]

OP: define what you mean by “Technical” in the context you are drawing comparisons between Brentford & Town .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 23:19 - Feb 4 with 4049 viewsunstableblue

Oh and look who their B team is playing and beating:

https://www.brentfordfc.com/news/2020/february/match-report-for-chelsea-u23-vs-b

Thats a bit better preparation for a championship first team, isn't it?

Lets take Oxford..... on 23:24 - Feb 4 with 4026 viewsArnieM

Lets take Oxford..... on 22:50 - Feb 4 by Herbivore

Terry Connor helped to turn Daryl Murphy into one of the best strikers in the Championship. He did a pretty good job here as a coach.

Does scoring a lots of goals for just one season out of your entire career really count though ? Murphy barely managed 10 goals a season prior to “ that “ season.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 00:35 - Feb 5 with 3883 viewsunstableblue

More on Brentford approach - placing Ipswich in a critical light on 22:49 - Feb 4 by Reuser_is_God

Rotherham were better than us in both games this season, both physically and technically. They were better prepared and set-up, had more effective players.

They had the overlap and hit the edge of the box and byline, they knew when to go long into the channel and when to break from midfield and overload our centre backs.

Their shape and system was better than ours. They’re not as technical as a Brentford, but they’re superior to us in their play and plan.

They came to us in 2016 and with a weaker team, forced us to fold meekly in a 0-1 loss and a poor performance.

There’s nothing new about our technical malaise.

And compare player wage bill on 00:55 - Feb 5 with 3867 viewsunstableblue

And compare player wage bill on 23:18 - Feb 4 by ArnieM

OP: define what you mean by “Technical” in the context you are drawing comparisons between Brentford & Town .

Technical relates to a players activity with the ball (control, touch, pass) and the effective set-up of the team - I could use technical and tactical - their system, formation and how they move in and out of possession, and how the ball is moved around the team and as result how the opposition is moved out of position. It focuses a lot on effective lines of players, breaking between the lines, and the overloading and pressing of the opposition. Tempo is also a key technical concept, when to sit, when to go, when to slow the game.

The FA describes their progression of courses as ‘building your technical and tactical knowledge of the game’

Now you also need to be a good man manager, something Mick was clearly good at, whereas Hurst and Keane were clearly terrible.

Now my whole point and why I keep using ‘technical’ is I just don’t think throughout Marcus’ reign that he has been well advised in his choice of manager and how to set-up a modern footballing leadership structure to embed a technical approach and realise an effective strategy. I look at Oxford and Brentford and I see teams playing in a better way, with better structures behind the manager.

We continue as a team to look less well set-up, less tactically astute, and I for one am getting sick of it. We seem unable to fall back on a technical style and system when we are playing less well or under pressure.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024