Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
HS2 - 307m per mile 12:43 - Feb 3 with 731 viewsStokieBlue

That is a frankly astonishing cost:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/feb/03/at-307m-per-mile-of-track-can-th

There surely must be a better usage of that kind of money within the infrastructure framework of the country.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

HS2 - 307m per mile on 13:07 - Feb 3 with 685 viewsfooters

It's insane that we're chasing an aspiration of the TGV nearly 40 years after it began in France.

Whatever your thoughts on public/private railways, this country is a million miles behind.

And fwiw, I think from what I've seen that the money would be better spent on northern inter-connectivity. London-Manchester services seem fast and frequent enough given the costs we're talking about.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

HS2 - 307m per mile on 13:10 - Feb 3 with 667 viewshampstead_blue

Wow.
You should try running a scooby! Very similar fuel bill.

It is a lot of money. Are they feeling bound by the initial spend?
Bad either way.

It shows that Cummings point of getting in experts over generalist civil servants has legs

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

HS2 - 307m per mile on 13:13 - Feb 3 with 657 viewstractordownsouth

We spend £307m per mile on HS2. Let's fund rural transport links instead.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2020 13:14]

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

HS2 - 307m per mile on 13:16 - Feb 3 with 646 viewsStokieBlue

HS2 - 307m per mile on 13:13 - Feb 3 by tractordownsouth

We spend £307m per mile on HS2. Let's fund rural transport links instead.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2020 13:14]

I've said before that a nationalised zero-emissions and affordable bus company serving rural communities on a frequent basis seems an entirely sensible way forward.

Could even design and build the buses in this country like we used to. Jobs for engineering graduates and apprenticeships for school leavers.

It wouldn't even cost that much given the numbers being thrown around here.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

HS2 - 307m per mile on 13:17 - Feb 3 with 634 viewsfooters

HS2 - 307m per mile on 13:16 - Feb 3 by StokieBlue

I've said before that a nationalised zero-emissions and affordable bus company serving rural communities on a frequent basis seems an entirely sensible way forward.

Could even design and build the buses in this country like we used to. Jobs for engineering graduates and apprenticeships for school leavers.

It wouldn't even cost that much given the numbers being thrown around here.

SB

We could make them out of recycled wine boxes :)

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

HS2 - 307m per mile on 13:17 - Feb 3 with 632 viewsElephantintheRoom

Beeching saved £150 million by cutting 55% of the rail network

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

HS2 - 307m per mile on 15:20 - Feb 3 with 551 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

HS2 - 307m per mile on 13:07 - Feb 3 by footers

It's insane that we're chasing an aspiration of the TGV nearly 40 years after it began in France.

Whatever your thoughts on public/private railways, this country is a million miles behind.

And fwiw, I think from what I've seen that the money would be better spent on northern inter-connectivity. London-Manchester services seem fast and frequent enough given the costs we're talking about.

Agree.

The only reason this got signed off was because its a scheme that involves London.

Improving the connectivity between the northern cities wouldnt get govt sign off.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024