Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thoughts.... Ipswich 1 Lincoln 0 - 25th Jan 2020 19:14 - Jan 25 with 2597 viewsunstableblue

Well I really enjoyed that Town performance, where at times some of our passing and movement was as good as I can remember for some years. Yes I get those who worry we didn't score more, killing the game off, and hence leaving Lincoln with a chance. But those saying we over passed? well that's why we limited Lincoln to two chances of note (albeit good ones), 63% possession is what we want. Just great to be out passing and dominating teams at Portman Road again, for how many seasons have we looked the inferior technical side? Hopefully we can avenge Rotherham's humiliation of us at home this season, on a key fixture this Tuesday.

Lincoln were actually a good side, they defended really well, great shape and commitment. Albeit why they tried to play out from the goalkeeper in the second half, with Jackson and Judge, then Norwood pushing up and negating the benefit.

It was a great team performance, every player did well. I'll go through them individually in a moment, but it was interesting listening to Lambert on the radio restating that now its all about performances getting you in AND out of the team. I really agreed with our manager's point of view that Edwards and Norwood had been off form. I thought the former was so improved today, I'm not his biggest and crave the return of KVY, but the 3-5-2 is really suiting our Welsh wing man.

To continue the team performance vibe... what about Wilson? he is so the direct, no nonsense guy of the team, but he made some key headers and interceptions, and almost got a goal!

Man of the match? well that's the point - its hard to pick a stand out player. I thought Downes, The Wolf, Garbutt, Keane, Jackson were excellent... and Judge and Edwards work rate were notable.

I have to mention Jackson, yes he didn't score and like other forward players he found it hard to create clear cut chances against the resolute Lincoln lines, but today I thought Jackson looked like a Championship capable forward. His touch was sharp and he retained and used the ball well.

As for a sharp touch - Will Keane - WOW, he had a spell in the first half when he really impressed. The TEAM move (how many passes? 30?) for his low driven chance that went wide was fantastic. And it was his close control that carved out the final passage of what was a brilliant move. What a shame we didn't score.

Now to my concern - if a Championship or Premiership scout was at that game, then they're frankly incompetent if they don't just suggest a big money move for our two young prospects when they get back to base. Did you see that dink over the opposition player from Wolfenden? on the edge of the Lincoln box? mental. And again Downes was just so cultured at times, he played like his first half performance against Blackpool. But today, he also had the aggressive mode on. Some really hard tackles and play.

Around me in a boisterous North Stand... there were so many incredulous groans of pleasure (!!!) from people just loving how Town were spraying the ball around, and those individual moments of quality. Some real characters around me today, and it felt a little like the early days of Burley when you paid to go to see Town, and you had moments where you were wowed by things the players and team did, that you could never hope to do yourself.

Now we of course did not quite match the first half performance with our second, but there was still a lot of good play. I did want Judge to come off for Bishop (who had three moments of class in a short spell) - and perhaps Bishop will provide that bit of spice to stretch the lines and break down teams going forward, and start. But Judge looks a different player, and deserves his place, and seems more mobile.

So to the team:

Norris - good all round, one fantastic save, the front three look very settled in front of him which is clearly helping him

Wilson - as stated he's just so no nonsense, but he also can pass a few short ones quite nicely when needed

Chambo - he's so got his mojo back, looks much more confident in his game, got forward for some OK distribution, loved his positive shouting at Norris after a good save
The Wolf - he was I thought sensational today, he is a ball playing centre back, he's better than the £3.5m Webster

Edwards - much much improved, he doesn't seem to be giving the ball away as cheaply and his crossing was far more effective

Garbutt - this is my second concern, we are so reliant on him for set pieces etc. he's a key player for us. He was far more dynamic today as well, running with the ball. We need to sign him

Downes - words fail me... fantastic

Huws - interesting game, he was more dominant in the first half, but got pegged back, I think he was doing that 'unseen' work.... his form is a big reason for our Renaissance. Also as at Oxford he is really throwing himself about, injury concerns really are receding

Judge - good solid display was everywhere, but in the right places, needs to get deeper into the box

Jackson - he came too early to us to be effective in the Championship, but I feel he could now cut it in that league

Keane - like Huws, the injury woes have gone, and he is in fine form. He looks real class, I like what Norwood brings, what I'd keep with Will for now

[Post edited 25 Jan 2020 20:09]

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

<< Updated English! >> (n/t) on 20:10 - Jan 25 with 2441 viewsunstableblue

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Match Thoughts.... Ipswich 1 Lincoln 0 - 25th Jan 2020 on 21:17 - Jan 25 with 2317 viewslordsambuca

THanks for a really good summary.

I really like your comment in the penultimate paragraph "...there were so many incredulous groans of pleasure (!!!) from people just loving how Town were spraying the ball around, and those individual moments of quality. Some real characters around me today, and it felt a little like the early days of Burley when you paid to go to see Town, and you had moments where you were wowed by things the players and team did, that you could never hope to do yourself."

I am glad it is not just me then. It may be league 1 but isn't this why you watch football? I cannot recall seeing passing and movement like that since Burley and going back further to Robson, having been watching the Town since 1974. Long may it continue.
Match Thoughts.... Ipswich 1 Lincoln 0 - 25th Jan 2020 on 21:34 - Jan 25 with 2259 viewsxrayspecs

We controlled the game from start to finish, which has rarely been the case this season, which was great to see.

We look a much better team with Huws and Keane as regular starters and Judge playing in a more natural position. Downes and Woolfenden's valuations are going up week after week, while the likes of Wilson and Edwards - both criticised earlier in the season - have improved so much over the last month or so. Add in a fully fit Bishop and Sears and we are definitely heading in the right direction.

Even better if? As much as we controlled possession today, I thought we lacked the intensity that we showed in the first half against Accrington. We did not stretch Lincoln anywhere near as much nor make them play under pressure to the same degree. We gave them too much time to regroup behind the ball. Had we played a little more direct and a little bit quicker, I believe we would have create more chances/forced more mistakes and scored a few more goals.

Lots to look forward to, COYB!
[Post edited 25 Jan 2020 21:37]
Match Thoughts.... Ipswich 1 Lincoln 0 - 25th Jan 2020 on 22:25 - Jan 25 with 2141 viewsunstableblue

Match Thoughts.... Ipswich 1 Lincoln 0 - 25th Jan 2020 on 21:34 - Jan 25 by xrayspecs

We controlled the game from start to finish, which has rarely been the case this season, which was great to see.

We look a much better team with Huws and Keane as regular starters and Judge playing in a more natural position. Downes and Woolfenden's valuations are going up week after week, while the likes of Wilson and Edwards - both criticised earlier in the season - have improved so much over the last month or so. Add in a fully fit Bishop and Sears and we are definitely heading in the right direction.

Even better if? As much as we controlled possession today, I thought we lacked the intensity that we showed in the first half against Accrington. We did not stretch Lincoln anywhere near as much nor make them play under pressure to the same degree. We gave them too much time to regroup behind the ball. Had we played a little more direct and a little bit quicker, I believe we would have create more chances/forced more mistakes and scored a few more goals.

Lots to look forward to, COYB!
[Post edited 25 Jan 2020 21:37]

I do think Lincoln were a step up from Accrington and were in particularly good form today. I do agree that we needed a little more movement between the lines, The Wolf and Garbutt were probably our best at that.

But some of the passing in the first half was quick and Lincoln were working very hard to keep with us. Lincoln still did get some really good chances, and with better decision making could have hurt us.

Great to get revenge on shipping five against them.

Stuart Taylor summed up the game well:

“Not as swashbuckling as Accrington demolition, but equally as impressive.

Really controlled, focused, patient team display. Looking like a well-oiled machine in 2020.

Match Thoughts.... Ipswich 1 Lincoln 0 - 25th Jan 2020 on 22:48 - Jan 25 with 2090 viewsxrayspecs

Match Thoughts.... Ipswich 1 Lincoln 0 - 25th Jan 2020 on 22:25 - Jan 25 by unstableblue

I do think Lincoln were a step up from Accrington and were in particularly good form today. I do agree that we needed a little more movement between the lines, The Wolf and Garbutt were probably our best at that.

But some of the passing in the first half was quick and Lincoln were working very hard to keep with us. Lincoln still did get some really good chances, and with better decision making could have hurt us.

Great to get revenge on shipping five against them.

Stuart Taylor summed up the game well:

“Not as swashbuckling as Accrington demolition, but equally as impressive.

Really controlled, focused, patient team display. Looking like a well-oiled machine in 2020.

I think we are saying similar things.

More impressive than Accy in terms of controlling the game.

But imv we were more deliberate and did not put Lincoln under the same pressure as we did Accy.

I thought Lincoln looked lively on the break and could/should have scored at least once, they has some really good chances despite the lack of possession.

I believe we have the pace/skill/intensity to play a lot of teams comfortably out of the game, so we are not wishing for the final whistle one-nil ahead.

As per my OP, we are getting better/stronger week by week, long may it continue.
Match Thoughts.... Ipswich 1 Lincoln 0 - 25th Jan 2020 on 23:15 - Jan 25 with 2002 viewsRocky

Apologies - downvoted by mistake
Match Thoughts.... Ipswich 1 Lincoln 0 - 25th Jan 2020 on 23:15 - Jan 25 with 2005 viewsIpswichKnight

Very minor quibbles from me,

1) better teams will pressure Wilson and Chambers when they are on the ball and work them over for a mistake to win the ball back around our goal area.

2) looked up a few times in the 2nd half to see Garbutt about to whip in a cross only to find no one in the box.

Theses are minor as we controlled this game and never really looked like losing. We shouldn’t fear anyone in this league.
Match Thoughts.... Ipswich 1 Lincoln 0 - 25th Jan 2020 on 23:43 - Jan 25 with 1920 viewsArnieM

Excellent summary of the game , thank you for that 👍

Going forward, and the key to our success for the remainder of the season for me, will be our ability to score the 1st goal at PR . Breaking down more defensive minded opponents at PR could potentially be the thorn in our side to automatic promotion this season.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Login to get fewer ads

Match Thoughts.... Ipswich 1 Lincoln 0 - 25th Jan 2020 on 08:40 - Jan 26 with 1688 viewsunstableblue

Match Thoughts.... Ipswich 1 Lincoln 0 - 25th Jan 2020 on 23:43 - Jan 25 by ArnieM

Excellent summary of the game , thank you for that 👍

Going forward, and the key to our success for the remainder of the season for me, will be our ability to score the 1st goal at PR . Breaking down more defensive minded opponents at PR could potentially be the thorn in our side to automatic promotion this season.

You’re right. I do think many of the teams coming to Portman Road will have weaker defences than Lincoln, but expect boxes to be packed and much of the team sitting deep.

My group was certainly getting very concerned we hadn’t converted some wonderful possession into more than some blocked shots, set piece pressure, and a near wonder goal. (Albeit we did get to 13 shots overall). The Wolf popped up at just the right time. We all craved the safety net of the second goal.

Lincoln still sat relatively deep in the second half, and that had a lot to do with Ipswich keeping some of the intensity, we looked dangerous, with Garbutt, Downes, Judge really stretching Lincoln. Although I’m not sure we were getting enough players into the box.... Huws had gone quite deep himself. To be fair to Lincoln they kept their shape and didn’t stretch themselves for the equaliser, their best chances actually coming in the first half.

What was keeping my first half concerns of a lack of a goal in check, was the prospect of Bishop and Norwood, when you have those two plus Sears, plus Nolan in the wings, able to come on at 70mins, they may be the key to unlocking more stubborn teams at Portman Road!!

Match Thoughts.... Ipswich 1 Lincoln 0 - 25th Jan 2020 on 08:53 - Jan 26 with 1650 viewsartsbossbeard

Match Thoughts.... Ipswich 1 Lincoln 0 - 25th Jan 2020 on 23:15 - Jan 25 by IpswichKnight

Very minor quibbles from me,

1) better teams will pressure Wilson and Chambers when they are on the ball and work them over for a mistake to win the ball back around our goal area.

2) looked up a few times in the 2nd half to see Garbutt about to whip in a cross only to find no one in the box.

Theses are minor as we controlled this game and never really looked like losing. We shouldn’t fear anyone in this league.

Mega experienced defender Chambers doesn't know how to handle being pressured?

Crivens.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Match Thoughts.... Ipswich 1 Lincoln 0 - 25th Jan 2020 on 09:03 - Jan 26 with 1611 viewsStokieBlue

Great report but I'm surprised on your Huws position.

I thought he bossed the midfield, especially in the first half and the fact he is always available and always looks to play on the deck through the midfield has eliminated a lot of our hoofing from the back and in turn had allowed everyone else to play. Judge, Edwards, Garbutt and Downes all benefiting from having a constant outlet and the ball being on the deck.

Great performance and the team really selling now along with the formation. Tuesday is vital and nicely setup now.

SB

Avatar - IC484 - Horsehead and Flame Nebulae

Match Thoughts.... Ipswich 1 Lincoln 0 - 25th Jan 2020 on 09:32 - Jan 26 with 1527 viewscarlisleaway

Match Thoughts.... Ipswich 1 Lincoln 0 - 25th Jan 2020 on 09:03 - Jan 26 by StokieBlue

Great report but I'm surprised on your Huws position.

I thought he bossed the midfield, especially in the first half and the fact he is always available and always looks to play on the deck through the midfield has eliminated a lot of our hoofing from the back and in turn had allowed everyone else to play. Judge, Edwards, Garbutt and Downes all benefiting from having a constant outlet and the ball being on the deck.

Great performance and the team really selling now along with the formation. Tuesday is vital and nicely setup now.

SB

Thought every player to a man gave a 100% display, Chambers is harshly slated by some on this board. Made 2 great tackles when a Lincoln man was through on goal. Up to us fans to be the 12th man on the home run in, well done section 6
Match Thoughts.... Ipswich 1 Lincoln 0 - 25th Jan 2020 on 12:01 - Jan 26 with 1393 viewsStokieBlue

Match Thoughts.... Ipswich 1 Lincoln 0 - 25th Jan 2020 on 09:32 - Jan 26 by carlisleaway

Thought every player to a man gave a 100% display, Chambers is harshly slated by some on this board. Made 2 great tackles when a Lincoln man was through on goal. Up to us fans to be the 12th man on the home run in, well done section 6

Agree everyone played well but you've missed the point of my post which was how that was enabled and why it's suddenly started happening.

There is a correlation in my opinion.

SB

Match Thoughts.... Ipswich 1 Lincoln 0 - 25th Jan 2020 on 13:04 - Jan 26 with 1322 viewssoclopath

My only concern with Kean was how he never beat Shackel to a high ball,perhaps it's a fitness thing but doesn't seem to utilise his height.
Match Thoughts.... Ipswich 1 Lincoln 0 - 25th Jan 2020 on 13:21 - Jan 26 with 1302 viewsStokieBlue

Match Thoughts.... Ipswich 1 Lincoln 0 - 25th Jan 2020 on 13:04 - Jan 26 by soclopath

My only concern with Kean was how he never beat Shackel to a high ball,perhaps it's a fitness thing but doesn't seem to utilise his height.

Why do tall strikers immediately have to be good in the air?

By that logic all short strikers should be amazing on the deck.

We don't want it punted up to him anyway.

SB

Match Thoughts.... Ipswich 1 Lincoln 0 - 25th Jan 2020 on 17:49 - Jan 26 with 1156 viewsunstableblue

Match Thoughts.... Ipswich 1 Lincoln 0 - 25th Jan 2020 on 13:04 - Jan 26 by soclopath

A lot of Keane not being good in the air, and needing to win the aerial battles, discussion. I don't want him to be even trying. Long balls for knock downs do have a place, but we want Keane receiving the ball to his feet or chest, we have technical enough midfielders to provide this service. I want longer balls to be into channels over the top to Jackson a la Tranmere!

Match Thoughts.... Ipswich 1 Lincoln 0 - 25th Jan 2020 on 17:56 - Jan 26 with 1149 viewsunstableblue

Match Thoughts.... Ipswich 1 Lincoln 0 - 25th Jan 2020 on 23:15 - Jan 25 by Rocky

Apologies - downvoted by mistake

You disgust me....

... not a problem, I'm used to down votes

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024