Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not a bad courtesy car... 16:13 - Jan 21 with 9171 viewsSitfcB

...only £139,000 worth!

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Not a bad courtesy car... on 15:58 - Jan 22 with 626 viewsfooters

Not a bad courtesy car... on 15:50 - Jan 22 by Dyland

Racketeering, essentially. Utterly contemptible, and presumably people these days and/or in near future are hugely sceptical about online reviews of businesses across the board.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2020 15:57]

Especially in cases like this where the bloke's selling a $4 ice-cream. Four dollars. Can you imagine having the brass neck to go up to an independent business owner and essentially threaten them over such a small sum?

Agree that 'influencing' can have its place (but it's still massively sh1tty imo), but not at the expense of the small businessperson. Imagine what would happen to your pub if the same happened to you...

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Not a bad courtesy car... on 16:00 - Jan 22 with 623 viewsjeera

Not a bad courtesy car... on 15:58 - Jan 22 by footers

Especially in cases like this where the bloke's selling a $4 ice-cream. Four dollars. Can you imagine having the brass neck to go up to an independent business owner and essentially threaten them over such a small sum?

Agree that 'influencing' can have its place (but it's still massively sh1tty imo), but not at the expense of the small businessperson. Imagine what would happen to your pub if the same happened to you...

I hate the term. It used to be called advertising.

I know where I stand with advertising.

Edit: The pub thing; I have a short anecdote from last year.

A middle-aged couple walked into a particular hostelry and enquired about food. The landlord explained it was out of kitchen hours and he could only offer to rustle up sandwiches. Chefs were on their breaks and it was between service...

So they ordered sandwiches and sat and ate those with drinks etc and went to leave without paying. They thought because they'd been offered sandwiches it was somehow in free compensation for the kitchen being closed. Of course they were charged.

The bloke left a negative review online and didn't seem to understand when people took the piss.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2020 16:09]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Aye on 16:07 - Jan 22 with 614 viewsDyland

Not a bad courtesy car... on 15:58 - Jan 22 by footers

Love the actress' personal assistant story as an example of delusional bubbles and clueless behaviour. The sort of twottery that will get them thumped eventually. Hopefully :)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Not a bad courtesy car... on 16:08 - Jan 22 with 613 viewsfooters

Not a bad courtesy car... on 16:00 - Jan 22 by jeera

I hate the term. It used to be called advertising.

I know where I stand with advertising.

Edit: The pub thing; I have a short anecdote from last year.

A middle-aged couple walked into a particular hostelry and enquired about food. The landlord explained it was out of kitchen hours and he could only offer to rustle up sandwiches. Chefs were on their breaks and it was between service...

So they ordered sandwiches and sat and ate those with drinks etc and went to leave without paying. They thought because they'd been offered sandwiches it was somehow in free compensation for the kitchen being closed. Of course they were charged.

The bloke left a negative review online and didn't seem to understand when people took the piss.
[Post edited 22 Jan 2020 16:09]

There was something a little while ago where a fake company attempted to get these Z-listers to promote a new diet drink that contained cyanide. Lots of them fell for it and produced pilot videos promoting the drink, having been told about its active ingredient.

Where the person is a trusted subject matter expert and can honestly endorse Product A over Product B without outside influence, fair enough. But more often than not that won't be the case, sadly.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Not a bad courtesy car... on 16:11 - Jan 22 with 609 viewsjeera

Not a bad courtesy car... on 16:08 - Jan 22 by footers

There was something a little while ago where a fake company attempted to get these Z-listers to promote a new diet drink that contained cyanide. Lots of them fell for it and produced pilot videos promoting the drink, having been told about its active ingredient.

Where the person is a trusted subject matter expert and can honestly endorse Product A over Product B without outside influence, fair enough. But more often than not that won't be the case, sadly.

I saw it. Unbelievable but there you go:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-50837267

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Not a bad courtesy car... on 16:21 - Jan 22 with 596 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Not a bad courtesy car... on 15:43 - Jan 22 by Dyland

Sure, certainly has its place... IF the business is a certain size, and if it's an e-commerce enabled business. The idea of any personality, however many followers, or however famous, wanting free sh1t off any small business that relies on people physically being at the point of sale, is risible. The cliche "Oh, it will be great publicity" betrays a total lack of business understanding and how the real world works. These idiots are contemptible chumps.

It works for small businesses like this too though, with food/travel bloggers

See the candy floss ice cream cone for example, which people literally buy off the back of and for the purpose of an Instagram pic

EDIT: link didn’t work
[Post edited 22 Jan 2020 16:21]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Not a bad courtesy car... on 16:22 - Jan 22 with 592 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Not a bad courtesy car... on 15:47 - Jan 22 by jeera

I think the problem arises when people threaten a bad review if they don't get what they demand.

Yes, completely agree

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Not a bad courtesy car... on 16:25 - Jan 22 with 584 viewsReuser_is_God

Not a bad courtesy car... on 08:38 - Jan 22 by textbackup

does me in massively!
or when on holiday, instagram videos, tagging in the place "thanks for having us guys"
you paid to go there ffs.

anyway uppa towen

'London you were amazing'

You? It's a place. You do not refer to a place as you.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Login to get fewer ads

Not a bad courtesy car... on 16:34 - Jan 22 with 576 viewsitfcjoe

Not a bad courtesy car... on 15:43 - Jan 22 by Dyland

Sure, certainly has its place... IF the business is a certain size, and if it's an e-commerce enabled business. The idea of any personality, however many followers, or however famous, wanting free sh1t off any small business that relies on people physically being at the point of sale, is risible. The cliche "Oh, it will be great publicity" betrays a total lack of business understanding and how the real world works. These idiots are contemptible chumps.

You also get monster businesses trying to get stuff on the cheap this way - think I saw one with the X-Factor who turnover millions and Cowell trousering huge money were trying to get an independent cake maker to do them a cake for nothing due to the exposure they would get.

My Mother-in Law works at a school uniform factory, they did all the uniform for the frst couple of Harry Potter movies for a low 6 figure sum, they were told that they could be paid, or have their name in the credits instead - they took the money as the latter option would have put them out of business

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

"... they could be paid, or have their name in the credits instead" on 16:53 - Jan 22 with 551 viewsDyland

Not a bad courtesy car... on 16:34 - Jan 22 by itfcjoe

You also get monster businesses trying to get stuff on the cheap this way - think I saw one with the X-Factor who turnover millions and Cowell trousering huge money were trying to get an independent cake maker to do them a cake for nothing due to the exposure they would get.

My Mother-in Law works at a school uniform factory, they did all the uniform for the frst couple of Harry Potter movies for a low 6 figure sum, they were told that they could be paid, or have their name in the credits instead - they took the money as the latter option would have put them out of business

Jesus....

Not a bad courtesy car... on 16:53 - Jan 22 with 550 viewsDyland

Not a bad courtesy car... on 16:21 - Jan 22 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

It works for small businesses like this too though, with food/travel bloggers

See the candy floss ice cream cone for example, which people literally buy off the back of and for the purpose of an Instagram pic

EDIT: link didn’t work
[Post edited 22 Jan 2020 16:21]

Sure it does in some cases, a tiny minority though.

"... they could be paid, or have their name in the credits instead" on 16:54 - Jan 22 with 548 viewsitfcjoe

"... they could be paid, or have their name in the credits instead" on 16:53 - Jan 22 by Dyland

Jesus....

In fairness on that one, it wasn't a threat but an offer - but they should have had both

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

totes (n/t) on 16:54 - Jan 22 with 547 viewsDyland

"... they could be paid, or have their name in the credits instead" on 16:54 - Jan 22 by itfcjoe

In fairness on that one, it wasn't a threat but an offer - but they should have had both

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024