Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saturday the best away win since when? 08:32 - Jan 20 with 3356 viewsSteve_M

I've enjoyed plenty of away matches this season but I think Saturday was the best for a number of reasons - the day as a whole, coming from behind, finishing a good week to get the season back on track. Just one of those matches that I'm glad I was there for.

What else come close in recent years? Swansea probably although I wasn't at that one. The 0-4 at Reading was fun but it was an end of season, slightly freakish result.

What else?

- Millwall 4-3 2017
- Watford 2015
- Brighton 2014 (Smith & Murphy) and Dec 2015
- Derby in 2013 (Edwards late winner)

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Saturday the best away win since when? on 08:44 - Jan 20 with 3309 viewsHogger

I loved Southend this year because the atmosphere was old school cracking. It also felt great to fly into Southend airport that morning from Amsterdam and go straight to the pub!
Saturday the best away win since when? on 08:46 - Jan 20 with 3297 viewsReuser_is_God

Southend this year was good.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Saturday the best away win since when? on 08:46 - Jan 20 with 3301 viewsITFC_Forever

Wasn't there on Saturday, but Brentford on Boxing Day 2014 had us all leaving the ground believing (I know, stop laughing at the back).

Fulham in December 2015 to a lesser extent, and Southend this season was a something of a proper old fashioned away day.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2020 9:37]

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Saturday the best away win since when? on 08:55 - Jan 20 with 3270 viewsKieran_Knows

Southend this season was very good, as others have mentioned, a real old school feel to it.

Special mentions for Charlton and Watford away in 14/15. You really can't beat a last minute (or in these cases, seconds) winner.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Saturday the best away win since when? on 08:57 - Jan 20 with 3258 viewsHerbivore

Probably since Rochdale.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Saturday the best away win since when? on 09:29 - Jan 20 with 3174 viewsSteve_M

Saturday the best away win since when? on 08:46 - Jan 20 by ITFC_Forever

Wasn't there on Saturday, but Brentford on Boxing Day 2014 had us all leaving the ground believing (I know, stop laughing at the back).

Fulham in December 2015 to a lesser extent, and Southend this season was a something of a proper old fashioned away day.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2020 9:37]

Not sure how I forgot Brentford, given that was probably the highpoint of the decade. Fulham in Feb 2015 was pretty good too thinking about it.

Saturday the best away win since when? on 10:18 - Jan 20 with 3094 viewsSectionSith

Charlton. Noel Hunt
Saturday the best away win since when? on 10:29 - Jan 20 with 3049 viewsMrTown

Charlton - Noel Hunt
Brentford - Boxing Day
Southend - This Year

All some of my peronsal favourites.

But my favourite was still Watford away. CHAPPPPLLLLLOWWWWWWWW, HE'S DONE ITTTT

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Login to get fewer ads

Saturday the best away win since when? on 10:43 - Jan 20 with 3016 viewsEdwardStone

Ah, that Carlos Edwards wonder goal at Derby

Still get a bit of a tingling when I remember that.....

7 years ago, marvellous eh?
Saturday the best away win since when? on 10:50 - Jan 20 with 2997 viewsShropshireBluenago09

Villa away feb 17, Huws 85 min winner. Rode our luck all game. Smash and grab at it’s finest

Gus Uhlenbeek

Saturday the best away win since when? on 11:20 - Jan 20 with 2918 viewsSuperfrans

It's funny that you've posted this, as I was just thinking something similar.

I was looking at some of the "blooming disgrace" type responses to the pitch invasion after the second goal and thinking that, while anyone who runs onto the pitch has to realise the possible repercussions - getting chucked out of the ground and maybe banned from future matches - I can kind of understand the emotions. I was halfway back on the right looking towards the pitch and was running around and jumping up and down like a crazy person. If I'd been in the front row, I'm not sure what I would have done...

Part of this was because, personally, it came at the end of a pretty annoying week for me - but the distance of travel, the importance of winning, the stress of playing on that surface, the fact we sooooo deserved 3 points with that performance, the feeling that this is the start of a run and (of course) the third week of January is the most miserable, isn't it... For all these reasons, I couldn't help feeling a little emotional at thee end of the game.

As for other away games, Charlton and Noel Hunt in 2014, Rotherham away the same season, Bolton away in 1996 (two goals from Scowcroft at Burnden Park) come into this category for lots of different reasons.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Saturday the best away win since when? on 11:28 - Jan 20 with 2884 viewsitfcjoe

It felt like a massive win, it turned it into a 7 point week which was massive as 5 points would still leave questions.

And the way we won as well, it felt like a Burley win - try and play football when the conditions don't suit, go behind to a set piece, but keep playing and keep playing and score 2 good goals.

I was having a Twitter convo with SuperFrans last night, and no matter how we've got to this point, we have now stumbled onto something that works, and we are playing well now - I was relatively bullish on last weeks Blue Monday pod about how if we can keep this team and performance level up we have nothing to fear - I feel happier with that now.

It feels as though it has clicked, and we need to make hay through this tough run of games we have coming up - but I fear no-one at the moment, and this is how it should have been all season.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Saturday the best away win since when? on 11:33 - Jan 20 with 2865 viewsIpswichKnight

Saturday the best away win since when? on 11:28 - Jan 20 by itfcjoe

It felt like a massive win, it turned it into a 7 point week which was massive as 5 points would still leave questions.

And the way we won as well, it felt like a Burley win - try and play football when the conditions don't suit, go behind to a set piece, but keep playing and keep playing and score 2 good goals.

I was having a Twitter convo with SuperFrans last night, and no matter how we've got to this point, we have now stumbled onto something that works, and we are playing well now - I was relatively bullish on last weeks Blue Monday pod about how if we can keep this team and performance level up we have nothing to fear - I feel happier with that now.

It feels as though it has clicked, and we need to make hay through this tough run of games we have coming up - but I fear no-one at the moment, and this is how it should have been all season.

Totally agree with that, we shouldn't fear anyone at the moment, sure we still have some very good sides to play away from home but we shouldn't fear any of them and I feel more confident now that we have a team and squad that will get us in the mix.
Saturday the best away win since when? on 11:41 - Jan 20 with 2840 viewsSteve_M

Saturday the best away win since when? on 11:28 - Jan 20 by itfcjoe

"And the way we won as well, it felt like a Burley win"

Yes, I had a definite sense of that as well. A match we should have won but had to work hard to do so, I'm sure that wasn't just about being back in the Northwest.

I think the really important thing now is to build on this to become comfortable at Portman Road again. Given the run in that will be essential to getting promoted and, unlike in the Autumn, there are no big gaps without home matches.

Saturday the best away win since when? on 11:47 - Jan 20 with 2816 viewsSuperfrans

Saturday the best away win since when? on 11:41 - Jan 20 by Steve_M

Yes, I had a definite sense of that as well. A match we should have won but had to work hard to do so, I'm sure that wasn't just about being back in the Northwest.

I think the really important thing now is to build on this to become comfortable at Portman Road again. Given the run in that will be essential to getting promoted and, unlike in the Autumn, there are no big gaps without home matches.

Agree with both you and Joe. The key now will be delivering the good performances at home, on a decent pitch. If we can do that on Saturday, the fans will be lifted again, there will be a sense that we are back on track - and we can take that confidence into the big aways at Rotherham and Sunderland.

The big question for me from then is whether we can make playing at home a positive again. This season it has been tough, as the stats show - partly because of the way teams have set up against us at PR. Hopefully this team (and the options we have off the bench) will make that difficult for visitors. Bishop coming off the bench could be massive for us in the run-in.

Saturday the best away win since when? on 11:48 - Jan 20 with 2810 viewsITFC_Forever

Saturday the best away win since when? on 11:20 - Jan 20 by Superfrans

I was looking at some of the "blooming disgrace" type responses to the pitch invasion after the second goal and thinking that, while anyone who runs onto the pitch has to realise the possible repercussions - getting chucked out of the ground and maybe banned from future matches - I can kind of understand the emotions. I was halfway back on the right looking towards the pitch and was running around and jumping up and down like a crazy person. If I'd been in the front row, I'm not sure what I would have done...

Part of this was because, personally, it came at the end of a pretty annoying week for me - but the distance of travel, the importance of winning, the stress of playing on that surface, the fact we sooooo deserved 3 points with that performance, the feeling that this is the start of a run and (of course) the third week of January is the most miserable, isn't it... For all these reasons, I couldn't help feeling a little emotional at thee end of the game.

As for other away games, Charlton and Noel Hunt in 2014, Rotherham away the same season, Bolton away in 1996 (two goals from Scowcroft at Burnden Park) come into this category for lots of different reasons.

Point of order, we lost to Rotherham in 2014-15.... (0-2 in February 2015).

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Saturday the best away win since when? on 11:52 - Jan 20 with 2789 viewsPJH

Saturday the best away win since when? on 11:41 - Jan 20 by Steve_M

It was a game that we needed to win because the failure to get three points would have been a setback.

Just as we needed to build on the win against Accrington for that win to mean something we now need to keep the momentum going by beating Lincoln.

All pretty obvious but things now look much brighter than they did after we played Lincoln three weeks ago.
Saturday the best away win since when? on 12:12 - Jan 20 with 2721 viewsTractorgirlforever

Saturday the best away win since when? on 10:43 - Jan 20 by EdwardStone

Ah, that Carlos Edwards wonder goal at Derby

Still get a bit of a tingling when I remember that.....

7 years ago, marvellous eh?

Yes that was awesome, i had a sore throat for about a week after that game!
Saturday the best away win since when? on 12:13 - Jan 20 with 2713 viewsSuperfrans

Saturday the best away win since when? on 11:48 - Jan 20 by ITFC_Forever

|It would have 2015 then. This game...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34685921

Saturday the best away win since when? on 12:19 - Jan 20 with 2698 viewsReuser_is_God

Saturday the best away win since when? on 11:48 - Jan 20 by ITFC_Forever

Yes, this thread is supposed to be about the best away games, that was one of the worst.

Evans out

Saturday the best away win since when? on 12:21 - Jan 20 with 2694 viewsReuser_is_God

Saturday the best away win since when? on 11:20 - Jan 20 by Superfrans

Re fans on the pitch I think it needs to be looked at with context.

There is a huge difference between what happened Saturday & what happened at St Andrews last year to Grealish.

I've seen comments on social media along the lines of 'a player could've been assaulted'

Yes, but they weren't.

Evans out

Saturday the best away win since when? on 12:24 - Jan 20 with 2675 viewsitfcjoe

Saturday the best away win since when? on 12:21 - Jan 20 by Reuser_is_God

Re fans on the pitch I think it needs to be looked at with context.

There is a huge difference between what happened Saturday & what happened at St Andrews last year to Grealish.

I've seen comments on social media along the lines of 'a player could've been assaulted'

Yes, but they weren't.

Yep, personally I wouldn't have gone on other than just if spilled on with people and not able to stop - but I'm not going to worry that some people did and hope they get treated leniently

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Saturday the best away win since when? on 12:36 - Jan 20 with 2634 viewsReuser_is_God

Saturday the best away win since when? on 12:24 - Jan 20 by itfcjoe

Yep, personally I wouldn't have gone on other than just if spilled on with people and not able to stop - but I'm not going to worry that some people did and hope they get treated leniently

That's the thing isn't it. When a crowd gathers down the front, as it seemed to on Saturday, then those at the front of the crowd have no real choice.

Someone I know ended up face down on the turf.

Evans out

Saturday the best away win since when? on 12:41 - Jan 20 with 2618 viewsHerbivore

Saturday the best away win since when? on 12:36 - Jan 20 by Reuser_is_God

That's the thing isn't it. When a crowd gathers down the front, as it seemed to on Saturday, then those at the front of the crowd have no real choice.

At Watford in 2015 (TWTD) I was in the second row but ended up with my hands on the pitch after the Chaplow goal and I don't even know how I got over the seats in front of me. When the crowd surges forward you just go with the momentum. Stewards that day were pretty good though I have to say.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Saturday the best away win since when? on 23:42 - Jan 20 with 2305 viewsOldTimer2

Saturday the best away win since when? on 12:36 - Jan 20 by Reuser_is_God

From where I was, and it was towards the back, it did look like one or two got close to having a real go at their keeper which would not have been clever

As for cracking away games then the 2003 4-3 win at Palace takes some beating. Felt like palace had sold far more tickets than there was space. Start of the second half was a continual chant of Big Fat Joe's Barmy Army which kept going until we scored. And we played in one of my favourite shirts as well

Bobby Robson - thank you

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024