Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Camino de Santiago/Cruz de Ferro (Hiero) 20:24 - Jan 19 with 1487 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Me, my brothers and Mum are driving my Dad's memorial stone (about headstone size) to the pilgrims pile of rocks and stones here... I know!!
So drive through France...route suggestions....or ferry to Santander....if anybody knows somewhere nearby in Spain to stay for a couple of nights then even better.
Do you have to carry snow chains?
All tips greatfully received....thanks.

[Post edited 19 Jan 2020 20:31]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Camino de Santiago/Cruz de Ferro (Hiero) on 20:34 - Jan 19 with 1461 viewsfactual_blue

You should be walking barefoot from Canterbury, dragging the stone behind you and self-flagellating.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2020 22:30]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Camino de Santiago/Cruz de Ferro (Hiero) on 20:42 - Jan 19 with 1435 viewsStokieBlue

I've taken the ferry from Bilbao which is basically the same area. It's nice enough, about 26 hours if I remember correctly but you get a cabin and there is entertainment, bars, restaurants etc.

Bay of Biscay can get pretty rough though.

I had to take the ferry as all the flights were cancelled due to the volcanic eruption in Iceland about 10 years ago.

SB
[Post edited 19 Jan 2020 20:42]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Camino de Santiago/Cruz de Ferro (Hiero) on 20:49 - Jan 19 with 1394 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Awesome. Remember you saying something along these lines on here a while back.

Just take in the lovely French scenery on a nice liesurely drive down if time allows.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Camino de Santiago/Cruz de Ferro (Hiero) on 21:51 - Jan 19 with 1327 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Camino de Santiago/Cruz de Ferro (Hiero) on 20:49 - Jan 19 by StochesStotasBlewe

Awesome. Remember you saying something along these lines on here a while back.

Just take in the lovely French scenery on a nice liesurely drive down if time allows.

As the Santander ferry would cost about £800 for 4 of us I think the drive is the likely choice....now just have to convince my brother that May half term might be better than February!

Camino de Santiago/Cruz de Ferro (Hiero) on 21:57 - Jan 19 with 1313 viewsconnorscontract

Camino de Santiago/Cruz de Ferro (Hiero) on 21:51 - Jan 19 by BanksterDebtSlave

As the Santander ferry would cost about £800 for 4 of us I think the drive is the likely choice....now just have to convince my brother that May half term might be better than February!

How long have you got to make the trip?
Camino de Santiago/Cruz de Ferro (Hiero) on 22:23 - Jan 19 with 1287 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Camino de Santiago/Cruz de Ferro (Hiero) on 21:57 - Jan 19 by connorscontract

How long have you got to make the trip?

Just 5 days give or take.

Camino de Santiago/Cruz de Ferro (Hiero) on 22:53 - Jan 19 with 1251 viewsconnorscontract

Camino de Santiago/Cruz de Ferro (Hiero) on 22:23 - Jan 19 by BanksterDebtSlave

Just 5 days give or take.

Then if you ferry it you'll spend all of it on a pretty rough sea!

Would it be possible to do it at a different time of year and spend a bit longer?

If you drive it's going to be about 36 hours of driving, which across 5 days is a lot (I've done lots of European and US road trips including Route 66).

So, for an alternative look into this option:

Eurostar to Paris. Night in Paris.

Paris to Bordeaux by train. I'm finding 10, 12, 16 and 19 Euro adult fares for days of week of 10th February (some only just over 2 hours for the journey!). Night in Bordeaux.

Rent a car in Bordeaux, drive to Cruz de Ferro. Night in a camino hostel or other hotel.

Back to Bordeaux, return car, night in Bordeaux. Train to Paris, night in Paris. Eurostar to London.

That's a much more gentle way of doing it.

French train fares can be incredibly cheap. https://en.oui.sncf
Camino de Santiago/Cruz de Ferro (Hiero) on 22:59 - Jan 19 with 1236 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Camino de Santiago/Cruz de Ferro (Hiero) on 22:53 - Jan 19 by connorscontract

Would it be possible to do it at a different time of year and spend a bit longer?

If you drive it's going to be about 36 hours of driving, which across 5 days is a lot (I've done lots of European and US road trips including Route 66).

Paris to Bordeaux by train. I'm finding 10, 12, 16 and 19 Euro adult fares for days of week of 10th February (some only just over 2 hours for the journey!). Night in Bordeaux.

Rent a car in Bordeaux, drive to Cruz de Ferro. Night in a camino hostel or other hotel.

Back to Bordeaux, return car, night in Bordeaux. Train to Paris, night in Paris. Eurostar to London.

Thanks for all of that...plenty to think about. There are 3 of us to share the driving and I would definitely prefer a leisurely option...whether work will permit it is another matter.

Login to get fewer ads

Camino de Santiago/Cruz de Ferro (Hiero) on 23:00 - Jan 19 with 1234 viewsconnorscontract

Camino de Santiago/Cruz de Ferro (Hiero) on 22:53 - Jan 19 by connorscontract

Oh, and May over February, every time. There's a possibility of extremely bad weather in the Pyrenees in February, and a very strong possibility of beautiful weather in May.
Camino de Santiago/Cruz de Ferro (Hiero) on 01:56 - Jan 20 with 1159 viewsblueislander

A couple of guys I worked with did it on penny farthings
Camino de Santiago/Cruz de Ferro (Hiero) on 08:25 - Jan 20 with 1040 viewsWeWereZombies

Camino de Santiago/Cruz de Ferro (Hiero) on 23:00 - Jan 19 by connorscontract

Oh, and May over February, every time. There's a possibility of extremely bad weather in the Pyrenees in February, and a very strong possibility of beautiful weather in May.

I can vouch for bad driving conditions in the Pyrenees at this time of year, even the French were driving carefully. There was one car overtaking and bombing it, when it passed us my prediction of Italian plates was confirmed.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Camino de Santiago/Cruz de Ferro (Hiero) on 08:45 - Jan 20 with 1022 viewsHogger

That's a lovely tribute to your dad. Know several people who have done that walk of different faiths and none...all have been super inspired.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024