Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? 08:25 - Jan 17 with 6243 viewsChurchman75

Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Poll: Attendance today as its community day and ticket offer..... SAR Upper is full..

Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 16:34 - Jan 17 with 2281 viewsDarth_Koont

Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 14:51 - Jan 17 by NthQldITFC

Ole, ole, ole, ole...

Campo as a defensive forward?

Pronouns: He/Him

Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 18:31 - Jan 17 with 2247 viewssundaze

Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 10:54 - Jan 17 by blueislander

The David Johnson to whom you refer was not fit to lace the boots of our original David Johnson.

Not true though. DJ (1) scored 35 goals in four years at Town, DJ (2) scored 55 in his four years.
Both were top strikers and I would happily have either of them here at their peak, but the sheer pace of DJ 2, tops it for me.
Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 18:56 - Jan 17 with 2237 viewsITFCMonk

Quite a few of them did return, Kuqi, Murphy, Lee.
Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 21:11 - Jan 17 with 2205 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

Ian Marshall
Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 21:14 - Jan 17 with 2202 viewsblueislander

Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 18:31 - Jan 17 by sundaze

Not true though. DJ (1) scored 35 goals in four years at Town, DJ (2) scored 55 in his four years.
Both were top strikers and I would happily have either of them here at their peak, but the sheer pace of DJ 2, tops it for me.

Your post proves the fallacy of just using statistics.Did you see “Jonty” play? He played a instrumental role in Town team of the mid 70s, which challenged for 1st Division honours, and played in Europe. If you want to bandy statistics , he scored 6 goals in 8 appearances for England David Johnson mark2 was nowhere near that level
Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 21:29 - Jan 17 with 2195 viewsNorthstandoldie

I wouldn't mind Eric Gates as we now have a decent penalty taker. Short free kicks played in to his feet, flick with the outside of his right boot and fall over the defenders leg..... Garbutt would make double figures from penalties alone!
Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 22:48 - Jan 17 with 2160 viewsbazgammon

Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 09:29 - Jan 17 by Bluefish

People old enough to remember Mariner are too old to spend their time on here

ignorant and rather arrogant statement. Ted Phillips hardest shot in Football and won the League which is more than any of those blokes ever did.

Poll: Lambert

Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 22:49 - Jan 17 with 2160 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 21:14 - Jan 17 by blueislander

Your post proves the fallacy of just using statistics.Did you see “Jonty” play? He played a instrumental role in Town team of the mid 70s, which challenged for 1st Division honours, and played in Europe. If you want to bandy statistics , he scored 6 goals in 8 appearances for England David Johnson mark2 was nowhere near that level

70s David Johnson was the better play by far. He played in the top division, was an international and excelled in European competitions. He also won numerous honours with Liverpool. However I never saw him play live and therefore my memories are all with the 90s DJ.

He scored some fantastic goals, remember one at home to Bolton which was superb, he must have ran 60 yards and beat four men. We won 1-0.
[Post edited 17 Jan 2020 22:50]

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Login to get fewer ads

Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 22:59 - Jan 17 with 2155 viewseddiespearitt03

Toss up between John O Rouke and Jimmy Robertson.
Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 23:32 - Jan 17 with 2151 viewsChurchman

Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 10:26 - Jan 17 by BloomBlue

Why have you only included average strikers, ie Darren 'I need 5 chances to score 1 goal' Bent and excluded the best strikers ever to put on a Town shirt; Crawford and Phillips?

I only saw Crawford at the end of his second spell here, but my dad reckons he and Phillips were truly devastating.

I did have the pleasure of seeing Paul Mariner play. For me the best forward I saw play for Town and far better in ‘real life’ than he looked on tv. He’d grace any team in the Premier League now if he could shed the yeas. He’d be my choice.
Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 00:08 - Jan 18 with 2136 viewsyorkshire

Bontcho, Bontcho, Bontcho Bontcho Guentchev
Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 00:15 - Jan 18 with 2134 viewsRyorry

Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 11:53 - Jan 17 by Blue_In_Boston

Obviously goes with the theory that football was invented in 1992 by the Premier League! Of those Marcus Stewart but top for me Alan Brazil, had it all in his day...

My most memorable image in ITFC football - Alan Brazil charging down the length of the pitch like an unstoppable Sherman tank at full speed, to score one of his 5 (five!) against Southampton on 16/02/1982. One news report on the day read "Brazil 5 - 2 Soton".

TWTD ....

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 06:38 - Jan 18 with 2093 viewsBluearmy71

I know we got him late on in his carer but I'd give Paul Goddard (Sarge) a go in any league, he knew how to finish!

And another has just sprung to mind and we also purchased him from a lower league at the time and that's Kevin Wilson.......if I remember got a great hat trick against Sheff Utd in 1986 or 7

Oh and has anyone mentioned Dalian Atkinson (R.I.P) He would've been phenomenal in league 1
Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? (n/t) on 07:40 - Jan 18 with 2070 viewsPopeadrian64

Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 09:29 - Jan 17 by Bluefish

Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 07:43 - Jan 18 with 2069 viewsPopeadrian64

Bit disrespectful to a generation of fans whose life journey has probably run parralel with the ups and downs of the club...
Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 08:06 - Jan 18 with 2065 viewsjas0999

Ian Ian Marshall!
Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 08:21 - Jan 18 with 2063 viewsHerbivore

I'd go for Murphy, not because he was the best of that bunch - far from it actually - but because he best fits what we need.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 10:45 - Jan 18 with 2030 viewsLord_Lucan

Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 11:15 - Jan 17 by vapour_trail

Alan Brazil.

I loved Alan Brazil but without a midfielder able to pass the ball to him it would be fruitless.

You may think I'm crazy but at this standard of play I think there is a good shout for The Shef.

Also, not an out and out striker but I'd shove Eric Gates in there as he would be able to create his own chances.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 13:01 - Jan 18 with 2002 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Of the list presented, Marcus Stewart.
In my 50 years of watching Town, there were some good strikers, Belfitt, O,Rourke, Johmson,Whymark, Gates, Brazil, but............Paul Mariner was the most complete centre forward i have ever had the privilidge to watch in the blue shirt. On his home debut, him & Whymark ripped WBA a new one and his consistant form in subsequent seasons helped us become one of England and Europes best teams.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 13:26 - Jan 18 with 1983 viewshoppy

No Jordan Rhodes? 😱

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 13:30 - Jan 18 with 1980 viewsblueislander

Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 13:26 - Jan 18 by hoppy

No Jordan Rhodes? 😱

Nor Jay Tabb. ‘Ee’s great is Tabby.
Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 13:51 - Jan 18 with 1970 viewshoppy

Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 13:30 - Jan 18 by blueislander

Nor Jay Tabb. ‘Ee’s great is Tabby.

Ee is, of course, but EE’s not a striker, innit?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 14:03 - Jan 18 with 1961 viewsWeWereZombies

No mention of Frank Clarke or Mick Hill yet then?

Or Alex Mathie and James Scowcroft...

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Choose one striker to bring back (at the level they were), who's your choice? on 17:36 - Jan 18 with 1930 viewssolemio

I have a message for you from Captain Mainwaring.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024