Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Covered or not? 14:26 - Jan 16 with 4415 viewsMrTown

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/clubs-interested-in-former-ipswich-town-defender-to

Surely would have been a longer term solution instead 6 month loan for Earl.

Not knocking Earl by the way.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Covered or not? on 14:31 - Jan 16 with 3540 viewsBLUEBEAT

I find this one odd

The perfect person for the vacant left-footed defensive space

Can only assume he wants a higher salary than we can offer

Lambert and co will obviously have seen a lot of him over the past few weeks and I find it hard to believe that they didn’t see him as a suitable option

Poll: W or W

Covered or not? on 14:32 - Jan 16 with 3528 viewsitfcjoe

It's all about the money

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Covered or not? on 14:37 - Jan 16 with 3493 viewsMrTown

Covered or not? on 14:32 - Jan 16 by itfcjoe

It's all about the money

Same old, same old I guess.

Covered or not? on 14:48 - Jan 16 with 3442 viewsHarry_Palmer

Covered or not? on 14:31 - Jan 16 by BLUEBEAT

I find this one odd

The perfect person for the vacant left-footed defensive space

Can only assume he wants a higher salary than we can offer

Lambert and co will obviously have seen a lot of him over the past few weeks and I find it hard to believe that they didn’t see him as a suitable option

"The perfect person for the vacant left-footed defensive space"

Is he though? Tommy was always solid in a back four but he was never the quickest so I don't really see him on the left of a back three, particularly as we are now looking for some attacking contribution from this position and somebody that can pass out from the back. Can you really see Tommy bombing forward on the overlap like Woolfenden? I can't.

Also there isn't actually a vacancy because we have signed Earl. The only way he might improve the squad is if he replaced Wilson but he would cost a lot more and we would have to actively move Wilson on. Personally I don't feel we are missing out by not signing Tommy, although I'd prefer it if he signs for Wigan rather than Portsmouth.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2020 15:06]
Covered or not? on 14:52 - Jan 16 with 3397 viewsBLUEBEAT

Covered or not? on 14:48 - Jan 16 by Harry_Palmer

"The perfect person for the vacant left-footed defensive space"

Is he though? Tommy was always solid in a back four but he was never the quickest so I don't really see him on the left of a back three, particularly as we are now looking for some attacking contribution from this position and somebody that can pass out from the back. Can you really see Tommy bombing forward on the overlap like Woolfenden? I can't.

Also there isn't actually a vacancy because we have signed Earl. The only way he might improve the squad is if he replaced Wilson but he would cost a lot more and we would have to actively move Wilson on. Personally I don't feel we are missing out by not signing Tommy, although I'd prefer it if he signs for Wigan rather than Portsmouth.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2020 15:06]

He’s certainly faster and generally better than Wilson. And probably Chambers.

Is that a good enough response?

Covered or not? on 14:59 - Jan 16 with 3359 viewsGarv

I don't see how signing Tommy Smith is a long term option. It's a sentimental punt. He's hardly ideal as a ball playing CB in a three is he? If Earl is, then I'm happy. You never know, he might end up becoming a permanent option.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Covered or not? on 15:02 - Jan 16 with 3336 viewsHarry_Palmer

Covered or not? on 14:52 - Jan 16 by BLUEBEAT

He’s certainly faster and generally better than Wilson. And probably Chambers.

Is that a good enough response?

Is that a good enough response? What an odd question.

I was just offering my viewpoint, do you always take exception when somebody has a different opinion to you? If so, this is probably not the place for you.

Seeing as you asked though, no it wasn't a particularly good response based on the fact you have no idea of Smith's current running stats or form and seem to have overlooked again that we don't currently have a vacancy in the squad for a centre half.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2020 15:39]
Covered or not? on 15:06 - Jan 16 with 3299 viewsHerbivore

Earl is a ball playing defender who can cover LB and LCB. Tommy Smith isn't.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Covered or not? on 15:09 - Jan 16 with 3285 viewsMrTown

Covered or not? on 15:06 - Jan 16 by Herbivore

Earl is a ball playing defender who can cover LB and LCB. Tommy Smith isn't.

Is this based on all the times you have seen Josh Earl play I take it?

Like I said I am not knocking Earl, I haven't seen him play, but I can't see him being a long term option with still time on his contract.

Covered or not? on 15:13 - Jan 16 with 3254 viewsBLUEBEAT

Covered or not? on 15:02 - Jan 16 by Harry_Palmer

Is that a good enough response? What an odd question.

I was just offering my viewpoint, do you always take exception when somebody has a different opinion to you? If so, this is probably not the place for you.

Seeing as you asked though, no it wasn't a particularly good response based on the fact you have no idea of Smith's current running stats or form and seem to have overlooked again that we don't currently have a vacancy in the squad for a centre half.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2020 15:39]

I think it’s a pretty good response considering the OP was speaking of a signing BEFORE Earl was signed.

I’ve watched Tommy Smith a lot during his time at Colorado Rapids (as my son loves US soccer, for some reason) and he’s improved, if anything. Albeit playing in a US league, so not sure how that equates to League One, really.

Have a nice day.

Covered or not? on 15:14 - Jan 16 with 3242 viewsBLUEBEAT

Covered or not? on 14:59 - Jan 16 by Garv

I don't see how signing Tommy Smith is a long term option. It's a sentimental punt. He's hardly ideal as a ball playing CB in a three is he? If Earl is, then I'm happy. You never know, he might end up becoming a permanent option.

If he turns out to be a good’un all well and good but he is pretty much unproven :)

Covered or not? on 15:17 - Jan 16 with 3228 viewsHerbivore

Covered or not? on 15:09 - Jan 16 by MrTown

Like I said I am not knocking Earl, I haven't seen him play, but I can't see him being a long term option with still time on his contract.

It's based on reports of him, I don't watch Preston much, but I also don't have any reason to disbelieve reports from those that have seen him play. Smith and Earl aren't comparable, one can cover a couple of positions and fits nicely in our current system, the other doesn't offer that.

We don't know that Earl isn't a long term option, if we go up and he's done well perhaps we will try and do a deal for him. We don't know Smith would be a long term option either, given that we let him go a couple of years ago because he was no longer really up to Championship football.

Covered or not? on 15:22 - Jan 16 with 3201 viewsMrTown

Covered or not? on 15:17 - Jan 16 by Herbivore

It's based on reports of him, I don't watch Preston much, but I also don't have any reason to disbelieve reports from those that have seen him play. Smith and Earl aren't comparable, one can cover a couple of positions and fits nicely in our current system, the other doesn't offer that.

We don't know that Earl isn't a long term option, if we go up and he's done well perhaps we will try and do a deal for him. We don't know Smith would be a long term option either, given that we let him go a couple of years ago because he was no longer really up to Championship football.

So you have never seen him yourself, ok.

That will be all.

Covered or not? on 15:22 - Jan 16 with 3199 viewsyorkshire

Covered or not? on 14:32 - Jan 16 by itfcjoe

It's all about the money

Exactly - he was on $650,000 apparently in the US so about 10grand a week - Wigan and maybe Pompey can probably offer that - but doubt we want to - especially as he isn't necessarily a player that was on PL's radar
Covered or not? on 15:28 - Jan 16 with 3161 viewsitfcjoe

Covered or not? on 15:13 - Jan 16 by BLUEBEAT

I think it’s a pretty good response considering the OP was speaking of a signing BEFORE Earl was signed.

I’ve watched Tommy Smith a lot during his time at Colorado Rapids (as my son loves US soccer, for some reason) and he’s improved, if anything. Albeit playing in a US league, so not sure how that equates to League One, really.

Have a nice day.

Tommy would improve us, I've no doubt about that and we'd get him at a 'hometown discount', but we effectively have made the decision to sign Earl ahead of him because Earl is much cheaper.

There is a bit more to it than that, and I don't think the deal with TS is totally dead - but we've a long way to go to get him here opposed to Wigan, but the deal is do-able

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Covered or not? on 15:30 - Jan 16 with 3144 viewsHerbivore

Covered or not? on 15:22 - Jan 16 by MrTown

So you have never seen him yourself, ok.

That will be all.

Pathetic trolling. Grow up, kid.

Covered or not? on 15:31 - Jan 16 with 3140 viewsHerbivore

Covered or not? on 15:28 - Jan 16 by itfcjoe

Tommy would improve us, I've no doubt about that and we'd get him at a 'hometown discount', but we effectively have made the decision to sign Earl ahead of him because Earl is much cheaper.

There is a bit more to it than that, and I don't think the deal with TS is totally dead - but we've a long way to go to get him here opposed to Wigan, but the deal is do-able

If we did sign him I'd be viewing him more as a replacement for Wilson I think.

Covered or not? on 15:34 - Jan 16 with 3139 viewsDarth_Koont

We already have Wilson and Earl is cover but also a left back from what I gather. And I'm guessing more mobile too.

Not sure Tommy Smith would have resolved anything. Especially, as others have said, with the extra wages he'd likely command.

Pronouns: He/Him

Covered or not? on 15:47 - Jan 16 with 3076 viewsMrTown

Covered or not? on 15:30 - Jan 16 by Herbivore

Pathetic trolling. Grow up, kid.

Relax yourself, stop getting so up tight, just relax.....kid.

Covered or not? on 15:50 - Jan 16 with 3058 viewsHarry_Palmer

Covered or not? on 15:13 - Jan 16 by BLUEBEAT

Have a nice day.

Of course you did, cool story bro.

Now you mention it, I watched a lot of Earl playing for Preston U18s a couple of years back, my son loves the EFL youth alliance.
Covered or not? on 15:58 - Jan 16 with 3023 viewsBLUEBEAT

Covered or not? on 15:50 - Jan 16 by Harry_Palmer

Of course you did, cool story bro.

Now you mention it, I watched a lot of Earl playing for Preston U18s a couple of years back, my son loves the EFL youth alliance.

Excellent.

Do you attend matches or are EFL Youth Alliance matches shown on TV too?

Covered or not? on 16:28 - Jan 16 with 2945 viewsGeoffSentence

Covered or not? on 15:28 - Jan 16 by itfcjoe

When you say "the deal with TS is not totally dead", have he and the club actually been talking about a deal?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Covered or not? on 17:54 - Jan 16 with 2811 viewsBlueBadger

Covered or not? on 15:09 - Jan 16 by MrTown

Unlike you to be questioning something that Lambo's done. Almost as if you're an attention seeking troll who's yet again neglecting his 'business' to try and look smart on a football messageboard.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Covered or not? on 17:55 - Jan 16 with 2801 viewsHerbivore

Covered or not? on 17:54 - Jan 16 by BlueBadger

Unlike you to be questioning something that Lambo's done. Almost as if you're an attention seeking troll who's yet again neglecting his 'business' to try and look smart on a football messageboard.

He claims to have a business???

Covered or not? on 21:03 - Jan 16 with 2633 viewsBlueBadger

Covered or not? on 17:55 - Jan 16 by Herbivore

He claims to have a business???

A midweek all dayer with the lads by MrTown 14 Jan 2020 11:45
Setting off for Oxford at 2pm.

Expect to be home 12:30am. Back in the office at 7am, I wouldn't change it for anything.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024