Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
For the footballers over 40 amongst us...... 21:32 - Jan 15 with 1636 viewsDubtractor

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51123128

I know, like you, I finally gave up the dream of a scout spotting pinging in wondergoals in a 6 a side game once I passed 40. But maybe, just maybe we've still got a chance.

Hang onto your dream lads!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

For the footballers over 40 amongst us...... on 21:38 - Jan 15 with 1593 viewsPendejo

Buying a ticket to Japan now...i can make it after all

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

For the footballers over 40 amongst us...... on 21:39 - Jan 15 with 1590 viewsMullet

Was reading about him the other week as it happens in Mundial as they did a history of the J League piece. Very cool story how he went to Brazil to play the game etc.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

For the footballers over 40 amongst us...... on 22:10 - Jan 15 with 1525 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Only thing is he was a pro in 1986 so a little more like Wark signing again. Now there is a thought. He could probably play RB too.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

For the footballers over 40 amongst us...... on 23:12 - Jan 15 with 1444 viewsChurchman

That’s a brilliant article. Like many, I played Sat, mostly Sun football and was a bit rubbish, but could get about the pitch a bit. I knew I’d never score that last minute goal to win the FA Cup Final but hey, a Scout might see some hidden (buried) talent? Er nope!

The years passed and coincidently, I was 40 when I was asked to play for my company in a game many years after I’d given up. It was a small company and they were short so I thought OK, how hard can it be? For ease and bad knees sake I suggested I play sweeper. Nice and easy I thought.

After 30 minutes wheezing, I died like a louse in a Russians beard. How I got through it I’ll never know. Never again. So yep, hang onto your dreams and keep them as dreams!
For the footballers over 40 amongst us...... on 23:42 - Jan 15 with 1418 viewsRocky

Finidi must still be the daddy
For the footballers over 40 amongst us...... on 08:24 - Jan 16 with 1232 viewsGeoffSentence

For the footballers over 40 amongst us...... on 23:12 - Jan 15 by Churchman

That’s a brilliant article. Like many, I played Sat, mostly Sun football and was a bit rubbish, but could get about the pitch a bit. I knew I’d never score that last minute goal to win the FA Cup Final but hey, a Scout might see some hidden (buried) talent? Er nope!

The years passed and coincidently, I was 40 when I was asked to play for my company in a game many years after I’d given up. It was a small company and they were short so I thought OK, how hard can it be? For ease and bad knees sake I suggested I play sweeper. Nice and easy I thought.

After 30 minutes wheezing, I died like a louse in a Russians beard. How I got through it I’ll never know. Never again. So yep, hang onto your dreams and keep them as dreams!

Some of the people I play with are deep into their sixties and they are still able to hold their own with the youngsters in their twenties. That's five a side mind, but so long as you keep it up it is entirely possible.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

For the footballers over 40 amongst us...... on 09:02 - Jan 16 with 1200 viewsBiGDonnie

Saw this yesterday on an FM page. Apparently they took him out the game in his late forties but are due to put him back in next year.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

For the footballers over 40 amongst us...... on 09:14 - Jan 16 with 1166 viewschicoazul

Dat dere sushi and Yamato genetics.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

For the footballers over 40 amongst us...... on 09:33 - Jan 16 with 1133 viewsChurchman

For the footballers over 40 amongst us...... on 08:24 - Jan 16 by GeoffSentence

Some of the people I play with are deep into their sixties and they are still able to hold their own with the youngsters in their twenties. That's five a side mind, but so long as you keep it up it is entirely possible.

My experience was on a full size pitch and I obviously played against older players when I was young who’d kept at it, so you are right. I remember one in particular I was meant to mark who looked about 80 and as I was 20 I thought ‘you’re mine’! The only time I got near the bloke was when we shook hands at the end. He had obviously been a very good player in his time, always in the right place and passed me to death. I couldn’t even get even close enough to clobber him.

On the flip side I did play 5 a side into my 30s and our best player, in a half decent team, was an older bloke.
For the footballers over 40 amongst us...... on 09:43 - Jan 16 with 1114 viewsfactual_blue

For the footballers over 40 amongst us...... on 08:24 - Jan 16 by GeoffSentence

I read your first sentence, and then was relieved to realise you were talking about football....

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

For the footballers over 40 amongst us...... on 09:47 - Jan 16 with 1106 viewsPJH

For the footballers over 40 amongst us...... on 09:43 - Jan 16 by factual_blue

I read your first sentence, and then was relieved to realise you were talking about football....

It is over thirty years since I have done it-play football on a full size pitch that is.
For the footballers over 40 amongst us...... on 09:58 - Jan 16 with 1077 viewsOsborneOneNil

Good timing! I start in a 6 a side league tonight. Haven't played, consistently, since I was 32. Played at a decent level, Conference South, but ever since I stopped I always tend to pull a hammy or my groin if i have a dabble.

Odds on I'll get injured later.
For the footballers over 40 amongst us...... on 10:25 - Jan 16 with 1045 viewsflimflam

Still playing vets football and also 9 a side once a week at 49.

Since I gave up the fags few years ago find it quite easy to be honest although the pace and eyesight are not quite what they used to be especially under floodlights.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

For the footballers over 40 amongst us...... on 10:48 - Jan 16 with 1008 viewsartsbossbeard

For the footballers over 40 amongst us...... on 10:25 - Jan 16 by flimflam

Still playing vets football and also 9 a side once a week at 49.

Since I gave up the fags few years ago find it quite easy to be honest although the pace and eyesight are not quite what they used to be especially under floodlights.

This is my last season of Vets. Been saying that for 3 seasons now though.

Struggle to move on Mondays, sometimes have to miss out of my Monday night footy due to everything aching and in a tribute to the cold, damp days, my arthritic foot joint is playing up.

Still love playing though..

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024