Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Edwards 07:49 - Jan 15 with 1184 viewsKeaneish

He's not having a very good season is he? A wing-back isn't his natural role and he works hard at it and to be fair, his positional play has given us stability but he doesn't seem to know whether to stick or twist half the time now.

When he has the ball at his feet he seems reluctant in his ability to get by his man for fear of losing it and leaving us exposed and when he gets a cross in more often than not it's too deep or wasted. A couple of occasions last night he could of gambled knowing full well Chambers would win the header against the full back and he was flat on his heels. Can't remember the last jinking run into the box he did to commit his opponent - they tend to be into blind alleys if anything now. Ironic he got booked for probably his best full blooded tackle of the season too!

Not sure what to make of him really. Anyone else?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] テつ」2.65 Million and Waiting?

Edwards on 07:52 - Jan 15 with 1164 viewsSteve_M

He missed pre-season which, as we've seen with many players over the year, always has an effect.

I thought he played well last night though, not for being good on the ball but for working hard and defending well. He was pretty good Saturday too.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Edwards on 07:56 - Jan 15 with 1130 viewsChrisd

Edwards on 07:52 - Jan 15 by Steve_M

He missed pre-season which, as we've seen with many players over the year, always has an effect.

I thought he played well last night though, not for being good on the ball but for working hard and defending well. He was pretty good Saturday too.

Edwards seems this season's scapegoat. He's been mucked about this season in terms of his role and has had to adapt quickly in an unfamiliar position. He might still be the team's weak-link, but I feel he's had decent games recently and he's doing a solid job for the team, we currently have no one else in our squad that can play that role until KVY returns.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2020 7:58]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Edwards on 08:04 - Jan 15 with 1088 viewsKeaneish

Edwards on 07:56 - Jan 15 by Chrisd

Edwards seems this season's scapegoat. He's been mucked about this season in terms of his role and has had to adapt quickly in an unfamiliar position. He might still be the team's weak-link, but I feel he's had decent games recently and he's doing a solid job for the team, we currently have no one else in our squad that can play that role until KVY returns.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2020 7:58]

I'm not scape goating him and i don't think he's getting too much stick. His positional sense has definitely helped the team shape as acknowledged but i struggle to think of too many games, if any where i'd give him anything more than a 7 out of 10. Given he's been a frequent starter whether in his preferred position or not, i'd have expected him to get a bit more fluency in his play by now.

Edwards on 08:15 - Jan 15 with 1067 viewsTractorWood

I thought he was a chalk on the boots winger. I assume that's where he played for P'Boro when he had that excellent goal scoring spell before we bought him?

As you say, he's not really defensively minded and physically struggles whenever I see him. I also think Donancien does an underrated job at RB when fit.

Round pegs and all that.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Edwards on 08:17 - Jan 15 with 1055 viewsChrisd

Edwards on 08:04 - Jan 15 by Keaneish

I'm not scape goating him and i don't think he's getting too much stick. His positional sense has definitely helped the team shape as acknowledged but i struggle to think of too many games, if any where i'd give him anything more than a 7 out of 10. Given he's been a frequent starter whether in his preferred position or not, i'd have expected him to get a bit more fluency in his play by now.

You read most comments after one of our games and it's 'Edwards is this or that,' it's genuinely negative stuff unless someone sticks their head above the parapet and praises him. Watching him on Saturday and he was having a decent game, then you read comments on here at half time slagging him off. Really?! Honestly, I question whether that's because people don't like him and aren't prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt or that they don't know much about football? If you are giving Edwards a 7 out of 10 Keaneish, that will do for me week in, week out. Still feel he needs to do a little more to justify that rating, but he's certainly been better and more consistent recently.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2020 8:20]

Edwards on 08:19 - Jan 15 with 1035 viewsChrisd

Edwards on 08:15 - Jan 15 by TractorWood

I thought he was a chalk on the boots winger. I assume that's where he played for P'Boro when he had that excellent goal scoring spell before we bought him?

As you say, he's not really defensively minded and physically struggles whenever I see him. I also think Donancien does an underrated job at RB when fit.

Round pegs and all that.

The fact is Donacien couldn't play the role Edwards is being asked to play for the team. He's a defensively minded RB in a flat back 4 and that's it.

Edwards on 08:31 - Jan 15 with 1003 viewsKeaneish

Edwards on 08:17 - Jan 15 by Chrisd

You read most comments after one of our games and it's 'Edwards is this or that,' it's genuinely negative stuff unless someone sticks their head above the parapet and praises him. Watching him on Saturday and he was having a decent game, then you read comments on here at half time slagging him off. Really?! Honestly, I question whether that's because people don't like him and aren't prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt or that they don't know much about football? If you are giving Edwards a 7 out of 10 Keaneish, that will do for me week in, week out. Still feel he needs to do a little more to justify that rating, but he's certainly been better and more consistent recently.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2020 8:20]

He has been for sure, he just needs to find his rhythm now and contribute more going forward. It'll be interesting to see how that partnership develops with Chambers if we keep utilising the attacking CBs. There were a couple of obvious moments when he could have gambled but hopefully that'll come with more game time together in these roles. They need to find the fluidity that Wolfenden and Garbutt do on the other flank although that may be a big ask given Chambers is a bit more limited than Wolfenden!

Edwards on 08:34 - Jan 15 with 982 viewsDanTheMan

I don't think he's a bad player, but I also don't think he's a right back of a wing back. He looks way better going forward than he does with the defensive stuff, which is probably why he's picked up so many cards.

He is improving there though. He's learning a new position and, as Steve said, missed pre-season.

Not going to be too harsh on him, though it is a position we could look at improving.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

Edwards on 09:05 - Jan 15 with 941 viewsGuthrum

He was shown up a bit defensively last night by their bloke down the left who was exceedingly quick, agile and had the ball stuck to his foot. Possibly contantly having to keep an eye over his shoulder on that aspect is inhibiting his freedom to attack.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Edwards on 09:08 - Jan 15 with 937 viewsIPS_wich

Edwards on 08:34 - Jan 15 by DanTheMan

I don't think he's a bad player, but I also don't think he's a right back of a wing back. He looks way better going forward than he does with the defensive stuff, which is probably why he's picked up so many cards.

He is improving there though. He's learning a new position and, as Steve said, missed pre-season.

Not going to be too harsh on him, though it is a position we could look at improving.

I think he's been one of our poorer performers over the last 10 games, but he is playing in a relatively unfamiliar role and in the last two games he has played much better. He put in a couple of cracking crosses against Accrington and has seemed a bit more willing to go past his man.

His first touch is generally appalling and his tackling can be quite rash - but I bet if we could see his GPS stats he is probably up there in terms of distance covered and short burst sprints.

Is he the long term solution on the right hand side - no; is he a liability on the right hand side - no. Needs must and he is the best man for the role until KVY gets back.

One issue is they said on the commentary last night he now has more yellow cards than anyone in the squad and is only one booking away from a two game suspension - so I suspect in the neat future we may have to revert to a 4-4-2 to accommodate Donacian.
Edwards on 09:10 - Jan 15 with 935 viewsMrTown

Yeah not a great season, really miss Kane Vincent-Young.

Gets a lot of OTT stick on here but he is by far not at his best at the moment. Like you say his positional play for someone who probably hasn't played wing back prior to us isn't to bad at all in both attack and defence, but his technical ability has let him down this season.

Gives everything to be fair though, and that is minimum requirement.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024