Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) 06:39 - Jan 15 with 3563 viewsITFC_Forever

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 06:42 - Jan 15 with 2924 viewsHerbivore

Yeah, it's hard to make the case that we're in good form. We're unbeaten in three in the league now but one win in ten now I think in League 1. I worry that if we're accepting our current level of performance we're not likely to get out of this league this season.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 06:52 - Jan 15 with 2908 viewsITFC_Forever

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 06:42 - Jan 15 by Herbivore

Yeah, it's hard to make the case that we're in good form. We're unbeaten in three in the league now but one win in ten now I think in League 1. I worry that if we're accepting our current level of performance we're not likely to get out of this league this season.

I’d agree we’ve improved in the last few games, and in isolation, a draw last night is a decent enough point.
But it’s some leap from that to then say we’re in good form.

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 06:55 - Jan 15 with 2896 viewsBlueBadger

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 06:52 - Jan 15 by ITFC_Forever

I’d agree we’ve improved in the last few games, and in isolation, a draw last night is a decent enough point.

The Improved Performance, whereby we apparently 'play well' but fail to win(or, as was more the case last season, lose limply) from last season is possibly trying to rear its head again. although, in all fairness, last night was never going to see a Brazil '72-esque display.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 07:11 - Jan 15 with 2859 viewsIPS_wich

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 06:55 - Jan 15 by BlueBadger

The Improved Performance, whereby we apparently 'play well' but fail to win(or, as was more the case last season, lose limply) from last season is possibly trying to rear its head again. although, in all fairness, last night was never going to see a Brazil '72-esque display.

Although if we take the Exeter game out of the discussion, then we have won one and drawn two against teams either in form or in the top six - and in all three cases we have played well in the context of the conditions.

No coincidence that there has only been one change in the line up and we have some quality players coming back from injury.

Yes, it's an overly optimistic statement from him - but I'm certainly a lot more positive than I was following the Bristol, Pompey, Gillingham and Lincoln run of games.
Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 07:24 - Jan 15 with 2823 viewsArnieM

OP: so since PL has stopped pissing around with the team we’ve not played with improved form
then ??

I think you May need to open your eyes a bit more. Town actually look like a “ team” at last, and the fluency is starting to emerge. A factor most who understand the game suggested would happen. The results ( wins) will soon start to follow but this takes time to emerge , which is why so many of us were concerned with his constant en mass team changes . Shame you can’t see that fact.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 07:39 - Jan 15 with 2759 viewsITFC_Forever

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 07:24 - Jan 15 by ArnieM

OP: so since PL has stopped pissing around with the team we’ve not played with improved form
then ??

I think you May need to open your eyes a bit more. Town actually look like a “ team” at last, and the fluency is starting to emerge. A factor most who understand the game suggested would happen. The results ( wins) will soon start to follow but this takes time to emerge , which is why so many of us were concerned with his constant en mass team changes . Shame you can’t see that fact.

As you clearly haven’t read my reply to Herbi:

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 08:19 - Jan 15 with 2701 viewsWestover

We are in very good form over the last week, it's now that matters and we need to keep it going.
Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 10:01 - Jan 15 with 2596 viewsMrTown

I think he is speaking more in reflection of the turn of the year, performance wise not wrong. Undefeated in the league since the start on the year.

We're in a little positive run.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Login to get fewer ads

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 10:03 - Jan 15 with 2592 viewsSomethingBlue

I'm happy enough with the last three games and think it's best that we reflect on what has improved over those tbh. Last night and Saturday were nothing like the performance against, say, Gillingham so current form is OK.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 10:10 - Jan 15 with 2562 viewsclive_baker

I'm no Lambert sympathiser but 14 is a pretty arbitrary amount of games on which to judge our form. Choosing a sample size from when we stopped winning matches hardly feels representative IMO. Why not 3 games? or 20? At the end of the day he's clearly wrong with his assessment, but I suspect he means we've looked decent more recently, which is true. We've played 3 times in 2020 and got 2 good, battling away draws against decent sides (although I'm not convinced Wycombe are actually that good) and a convincing home win. If we can keep up drawing away and winning at home we'll go up, simple as that.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 10:19 - Jan 15 with 2536 viewsitfcjoe

I think you look at the last 3 games and we'd all be happy with the performances and outcomes - 2 away points against promotion rivals which could and should have been 4 points and a good win at home.

I'ts almost like the season has started again if we are to stick to 352/3412 and 19 games to go as a shootout now - home form will be the key.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 10:39 - Jan 15 with 2488 viewsPJH

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 10:19 - Jan 15 by itfcjoe

I think you look at the last 3 games and we'd all be happy with the performances and outcomes - 2 away points against promotion rivals which could and should have been 4 points and a good win at home.

I'ts almost like the season has started again if we are to stick to 352/3412 and 19 games to go as a shootout now - home form will be the key.

It seems to me that in the last three league games we have again started to look like a team that could get promoted having looked in most games over the previous two months one that was looking like throwing it away.

We are now in something like a twelve team group chasing three places but if we have actually turned the corner then we have got as good a chance as any of getting one of those places.

It does seem that the season starts (again) now.
Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 10:42 - Jan 15 with 2469 viewsunstableblue

As per my match report.

Town are back in form in the last 3 games; there is energy and desire again. And Huws/Downes is proving to be a good pairing. Judge is more influential. And Chambo seems to be effective again.

Key is taking this into wins through the remainder of the month. Hope Tranmere is on, momentum is with us.

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 10:46 - Jan 15 with 2453 viewsclive_baker

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 10:39 - Jan 15 by PJH

It seems to me that in the last three league games we have again started to look like a team that could get promoted having looked in most games over the previous two months one that was looking like throwing it away.

We are now in something like a twelve team group chasing three places but if we have actually turned the corner then we have got as good a chance as any of getting one of those places.

It does seem that the season starts (again) now.

I agree. I know from a source that some home truths have been shared by a number of the senior playing staff and a little of the air has been cleared. I was, and remain, sceptical about the 5 year deal that was handed to Lambert but inadvertently it might prove to be the best thing Evans ever did. I say inadvertently because I understand it was initially discussed when things were looking rosy, so wasn't born out of a need to correct a disharmony in the squad, but it came at a time when historically we've seen our senior players down tools, but perhaps this time with the contract extension they were left with little choice but to address the issues collectively. The heavy rotation was a bugbear for a number of players and I know there have been preferences expressed with regards to systems which have seemingly been listened to. It's frustrating because it all feels so self inflicted by Lambert, but the positive is we might be back on track, and can hopefully get firing now for these final 19 matches. At the end of the day we're 2 points off top and we go there in a couple of weeks. It's firmly in our hands to get going now and secure promotion. From a personnel and squad perspective I really like where we're at, we just need more of the sort of performances we've seen thus far in 2020 and less of the ones we closed out 2019 with.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2020 10:48]

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 10:54 - Jan 15 with 2421 viewsitfcjoe

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 10:46 - Jan 15 by clive_baker

I agree. I know from a source that some home truths have been shared by a number of the senior playing staff and a little of the air has been cleared. I was, and remain, sceptical about the 5 year deal that was handed to Lambert but inadvertently it might prove to be the best thing Evans ever did. I say inadvertently because I understand it was initially discussed when things were looking rosy, so wasn't born out of a need to correct a disharmony in the squad, but it came at a time when historically we've seen our senior players down tools, but perhaps this time with the contract extension they were left with little choice but to address the issues collectively. The heavy rotation was a bugbear for a number of players and I know there have been preferences expressed with regards to systems which have seemingly been listened to. It's frustrating because it all feels so self inflicted by Lambert, but the positive is we might be back on track, and can hopefully get firing now for these final 19 matches. At the end of the day we're 2 points off top and we go there in a couple of weeks. It's firmly in our hands to get going now and secure promotion. From a personnel and squad perspective I really like where we're at, we just need more of the sort of performances we've seen thus far in 2020 and less of the ones we closed out 2019 with.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2020 10:48]

I haven't heard what was said in the 'chat' after Lincoln but was hoping it was along the lines that had been alluded to in your post and covering the 3 main concerns I'd heard from players either directly or 2nd hand:

- Don't like the rotation, didn't feel it was helping them get match fit as too long breaks without games
- Don't like changing shape every week as not intelligent enough (their words) to be able to pick things up
- Don't like finding the team and shape up on Friday afternoon, and not having done any shape work in the week leading up to the game

Looks like the top 2 issues have been addressed with regards to the fact we have played the same team for 3 games in a row (bar injury enforced change last night) in the same shape.

And with regard to the 3rd one after Accrington game in the write up Phil notes “[We worked] on a different way of playing, it’s amazing. The players were great, really, really good.” Town’s overlapping centre-halves, the most notable change from previous games which he says was worked on for “a couple of days” this week,

So sounds as though we have done some shape.

There are other issues which I've been aware of, but think that if those 3 things above are correct and we get back to winning ways most of them go away.

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 10:55 - Jan 15 with 2410 viewsITFCBlues

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 06:42 - Jan 15 by Herbivore

Jesus christ, how do you get out of bed in the morning?!

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 10:56 - Jan 15 with 2406 viewsbraveblue

Last two games were good. What happened 14 games ago does not matter. Be positive.
Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 10:57 - Jan 15 with 2403 viewsSuperfrans

He's obviously talking about the last 3 league games - and has a point, if so.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 11:08 - Jan 15 with 2367 viewsHerbivore

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 10:55 - Jan 15 by ITFCBlues

Jesus christ, how do you get out of bed in the morning?!

The same way most people do I imagine?

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 11:22 - Jan 15 with 2338 viewsclive_baker

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 10:54 - Jan 15 by itfcjoe

I haven't heard what was said in the 'chat' after Lincoln but was hoping it was along the lines that had been alluded to in your post and covering the 3 main concerns I'd heard from players either directly or 2nd hand:

- Don't like the rotation, didn't feel it was helping them get match fit as too long breaks without games
- Don't like changing shape every week as not intelligent enough (their words) to be able to pick things up
- Don't like finding the team and shape up on Friday afternoon, and not having done any shape work in the week leading up to the game

Looks like the top 2 issues have been addressed with regards to the fact we have played the same team for 3 games in a row (bar injury enforced change last night) in the same shape.

And with regard to the 3rd one after Accrington game in the write up Phil notes “[We worked] on a different way of playing, it’s amazing. The players were great, really, really good.” Town’s overlapping centre-halves, the most notable change from previous games which he says was worked on for “a couple of days” this week,

There are other issues which I've been aware of, but think that if those 3 things above are correct and we get back to winning ways most of them go away.

From what I heard at the weekend Chambers has been instrumental. Apparently he's been really proactive and he and Lambert have spent a fair amount of time together. He's true captain material and the more I hear the more I think he's definitely future management material (here or elsewhere). I'm not always convinced on him on the field, although last night he was great defensively, in horrible conditions for a defender. There was 1 header in the 2nd half in particular that almost certainly saved a goal. I think the drop to L1 is probably well timed in respect of where's he's at in the autumn of his playing career. But yeah, apparently there's been a palpable rolling up of the sleeves and the atmosphere around the camp is akin to what it was earlier in the season. Fair play to Lambert too, for showing a willingness to listen and not double down. He comes across as quite stubborn with the media, but he's clearly different with his squad.

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 12:04 - Jan 15 with 2273 viewsITFCBlues

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 11:08 - Jan 15 by Herbivore

The same way most people do I imagine?

Every single post is so negative.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 12:08 - Jan 15 with 2260 viewsHerbivore

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 12:04 - Jan 15 by ITFCBlues

Every single post is so negative.

That's ironic coming from you. My post simply stated some facts, one win in ten isn't really good form. We've had three better performances that have yielded one win. Let's try to build on that now.

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 12:57 - Jan 15 with 2175 viewsSuperfrans

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 10:54 - Jan 15 by itfcjoe

There is a devil's advocate case to be made in favour of the rotation policy - it has helped us get to a place where the likes of Huws, Keane, Judge are all beginning to hit form, having been given odd games to get up to match fitness.

All three of them are the players most likely to make a big difference in this division imho, given how much time they have spent at a higher level. And they are now beginning to show it. But I'm not sure any of them were warranting a regular starting place a month or two ago - the rotation gave them game time and has effectively put us where we are now, with what feels like a decent squad and a strong first XI.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 13:00 - Jan 15 with 2164 viewsHerbivore

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 12:57 - Jan 15 by Superfrans

There is a devil's advocate case to be made in favour of the rotation policy - it has helped us get to a place where the likes of Huws, Keane, Judge are all beginning to hit form, having been given odd games to get up to match fitness.

All three of them are the players most likely to make a big difference in this division imho, given how much time they have spent at a higher level. And they are now beginning to show it. But I'm not sure any of them were warranting a regular starting place a month or two ago - the rotation gave them game time and has effectively put us where we are now, with what feels like a decent squad and a strong first XI.

I don't think anyone had much issue with players coming in to get match fitness. The issue was the constant change of shape and system in addition to 4 or 5 changes (minimum) in personnel every week. You can't get any continuity like that. We could have got Huws, Judge and Keane up to match fitness rotating them into a side with a settled core and with a clearly defined shape.

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 13:06 - Jan 15 with 2143 viewsitfcjoe

Lambert: “We’re in good form”. 1 win in 14 says we’re not..... (n/t) on 12:57 - Jan 15 by Superfrans

For me it has always been the constant chopping and changing of shape and style rather than the players so much - can accept player rotation but they need to be coming into a settled side with a core and a way of playing so that it can be done more seamlessly

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024