Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he 09:03 - Jan 12 with 3156 viewsCopfordBlue

mean. Genuine question as I get confused every time he starts talking about this.

Yesterday he went on to say how the team had played a different way. Is that a new “system”? Are formations “systems”?

We played really well in the first half yesterday and it was good to watch. Refreshing to see us have a few shots on targets and look threatening when we attacked. Let’s be realistic though the gulf in resources between us and Accrington is so great that we should be able to beat them in one of the two games we play them in a season. Lambert’s post-match comments come across to me as arrogant and as if he’s above scrutiny or being questioned despite our dreadful form since mid-October.

If he thinks formations, playing players in their strongest positions, strategies and tactics are all boll#@ks because they all come into the category of “systems” then the sooner he goes the better as we’ll never get anywhere if his only plan is more players and better players. Is this what he means though or is he talking about something more subtle and just trying to be a smart in front of journalists to try and belittle them? Journalists who in the main have been more than fair to a manager with a win percentage below 30% during his time here.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2020 9:04]

Poll: Most enjoyable calendar year as an Ipswich supporter

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 09:16 - Jan 12 with 1716 viewsChrisd

If we see more performances like our first half display yesterday, I don't think too many will be complaining (including me) whether that's about the formation or personnel used. What I do think is PL is getting some clarity on playing players in their rightful positions and that's helping massively, especially in selecting a formation to use. Also, that midfield mess of ours where we had so many options is now becoming less problematic whether that's through injury, suspension or form. He's got a nucleus of Judge and Bishop vying for the No.10 role, Huws and Downes as his first choice central pairing with Skuse and Dozzell as back up. Nolan is down the pecking order and our wingers aren't part of the plan. Edwards will be on the bench when KVY returns. Equally, I don't think our wingers are good enough anyhow, well apart from Dobra who has shown he has potential, but nothing more.

So in summary, continue to work on and deploy the formation adopted against Wycombe and Accrington and play players in their rightful positions, there job done. However, there have been many saying this on this forum for the last couple of months, but if the penny has finally dropped for PL, better late than never!
[Post edited 12 Jan 2020 9:21]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 09:22 - Jan 12 with 1679 viewsBluefish

He is saying that he wasn't happy being called out by the press and his boss and being forced to go down the strongest side route over rotation and he is trying to find a reason to credit something else for it working.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 09:26 - Jan 12 with 1663 viewsWickets

I think he means systems alone will not win you matches , players performances giving 100% ect win matches .
When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 09:27 - Jan 12 with 1662 viewsartsbossbeard

It's like Back to the Future under the last days of Emperor Mick on here at the moment, just swap out the words "Mick Mack" for "Lambo" and save yourselves the thought process.

Also swap "Championship" for "Pub League"

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 09:31 - Jan 12 with 1640 viewsChrisd

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 09:26 - Jan 12 by Wickets

I think he means systems alone will not win you matches , players performances giving 100% ect win matches .

Perhaps he's finally realised playing players in their best positions is the way forward? You would've thought an ECL winner, who played in Germany, would've known that from the first day of his appointment.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 09:36 - Jan 12 with 1612 viewsHerbivore

He uses it as a means to shut down scrutiny and criticism I think.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 09:44 - Jan 12 with 1592 viewsWickets

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 09:36 - Jan 12 by Herbivore

He uses it as a means to shut down scrutiny and criticism I think.

No . Bet you loved our midfielders yesterday ?
When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 09:45 - Jan 12 with 1579 viewsHerbivore

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 09:44 - Jan 12 by Wickets

No . Bet you loved our midfielders yesterday ?

What do you think he means by it then?

I thought Huws was immense yesterday, had a great game.

Login to get fewer ads

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 09:47 - Jan 12 with 1574 viewsxrayspecs

He is right in as much that you can have the right system but if the players do not perform you do not do well.

I read the EADT Q&A on their website and the impression I got is that he is fed up with local journos questioning his tactics/team selection etc. and has become argumentative as a result.

I thought the first half was as well as we have played this season. A fully fit Huws is a step up on Skuse, Downes is one of the first names on the team sheet and I thought Judge was much more effective in the no 10 position. Skuse, Dozzell, Bishop and Nolan for me are now back ups for those three. Edwards put in a good performance including defensively but our system deploys wing backs rather than out and out wingers. I suspect KVY will replace him once fit.

Jackson will cause teams problems at this level and Norwood will score lots of goals if he gets lots and lots of chances. I would see Keane challenging for Norwood's place as the season progresses with Freddy cover for Jackson.

As for our free roaming centre halves, bonkers.
When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 09:49 - Jan 12 with 1559 viewsBlueastheycome

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 09:22 - Jan 12 by Bluefish

He is saying that he wasn't happy being called out by the press and his boss and being forced to go down the strongest side route over rotation and he is trying to find a reason to credit something else for it working.

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t your saviour ME actually state that himself that he wants a rotated squad to ensure everyone was fresh and ready to go?

Edit: As evidenced by ME in his programme notes below

Much has been said of our rotation policy and I want to address this point. A key part of our strategy is to develop 22 players all challenging for every position on the pitch — no comfort zones.

Yes, this means the squad takes longer to evolve into a cohesive unit where everyone just slots into place but that doesn’t mean it isn’t the right long term plan.

It may mean we don’t know each other quite as well as the opposition knows each other but when it all clicks, a more technical approach with a deep squad will take us to higher places as opposed to a direct style which will only take us so far.

If we give it time and support the process through the inevitable ups and downs and understand why we are working towards perfecting a style which is difficult to attain - and the fans are behind the approach, which is vital — I firmly believe we will have a club which gets to where we want to be in the long term.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2020 9:52]
When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 09:52 - Jan 12 with 1545 viewsBluefish

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 09:49 - Jan 12 by Blueastheycome

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t your saviour ME actually state that himself that he wants a rotated squad to ensure everyone was fresh and ready to go?

Edit: As evidenced by ME in his programme notes below

Much has been said of our rotation policy and I want to address this point. A key part of our strategy is to develop 22 players all challenging for every position on the pitch — no comfort zones.

Yes, this means the squad takes longer to evolve into a cohesive unit where everyone just slots into place but that doesn’t mean it isn’t the right long term plan.

It may mean we don’t know each other quite as well as the opposition knows each other but when it all clicks, a more technical approach with a deep squad will take us to higher places as opposed to a direct style which will only take us so far.

If we give it time and support the process through the inevitable ups and downs and understand why we are working towards perfecting a style which is difficult to attain - and the fans are behind the approach, which is vital — I firmly believe we will have a club which gets to where we want to be in the long term.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2020 9:52]

Marcus did a wonderful job of taking the heat off the manager a bit while clearly stepping in and getting us to play an unchanged side. You can just put it down to an enormous coincidence though if you like

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 09:53 - Jan 12 with 1544 viewsWickets

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 09:45 - Jan 12 by Herbivore

What do you think he means by it then?

I thought Huws was immense yesterday, had a great game.

Any others do ok or just Huw's and yes Huw's had his best game for years . As for PL i dont think he knows himself half the time . Think he is trying to install a seige mentality but basically just a typical Glasweigan who performs best if he thinks the world is against him. He will do for me if we can keep winnings now .
When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 09:54 - Jan 12 with 1532 viewsBlueastheycome

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 09:52 - Jan 12 by Bluefish

Marcus did a wonderful job of taking the heat off the manager a bit while clearly stepping in and getting us to play an unchanged side. You can just put it down to an enormous coincidence though if you like

Oh right that’s an interesting analysis from yourself. Do you have evidence that this was actually the case?
When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 09:54 - Jan 12 with 1544 viewsMullet

It’s a very strange tack to take, as it is essentially implying he doesn’t really have much of an effect or his job is not that important.

But I think this is the inherent danger of scrutinising post-match pressers which to a lot of managers are a burden, where they must justify themselves and perform to people they probably don’t respect in terms of football insight.

What it probably shows is he is trying to imbue the players with the belief they’ve been lacking and put the focus on them now we’ve won a game, and so convincingly too. Not necessarily a bad thing, but he’s come off really poorly again and got away with it very lightly from the usual reactions to stuff like this.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 09:56 - Jan 12 with 1519 viewsBluefish

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 09:54 - Jan 12 by Blueastheycome

Oh right that’s an interesting analysis from yourself. Do you have evidence that this was actually the case?

Yes I spoke to Marcus about it when he called for my view on it

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 09:57 - Jan 12 with 1515 viewsHerbivore

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 09:53 - Jan 12 by Wickets

Any others do ok or just Huw's and yes Huw's had his best game for years . As for PL i dont think he knows himself half the time . Think he is trying to install a seige mentality but basically just a typical Glasweigan who performs best if he thinks the world is against him. He will do for me if we can keep winnings now .

Thought Downes and Judge both played well as well, Huws was just the standout for me.

I do think he doesn't like perceived criticism so just tries to shut it down, which is what the whole "systems don't matter" talk is intended to do. As you say if he keeps winning games then I'll be more than happy to have him here. We need to make sure this is the start of a run now rather than just the end of one.

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 09:58 - Jan 12 with 1515 viewsSomethingBlue

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 09:54 - Jan 12 by Mullet

It’s a very strange tack to take, as it is essentially implying he doesn’t really have much of an effect or his job is not that important.

But I think this is the inherent danger of scrutinising post-match pressers which to a lot of managers are a burden, where they must justify themselves and perform to people they probably don’t respect in terms of football insight.

What it probably shows is he is trying to imbue the players with the belief they’ve been lacking and put the focus on them now we’ve won a game, and so convincingly too. Not necessarily a bad thing, but he’s come off really poorly again and got away with it very lightly from the usual reactions to stuff like this.

Your second par is the crux of it — can't say it often enough that pretty much every top manager trots out the "players before systems" stuff, pretty much as a way of avoiding discussion. Guardiola, Klopp, Mourinho, they all do it.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 10:01 - Jan 12 with 1486 viewsWickets

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 09:57 - Jan 12 by Herbivore

Thought Downes and Judge both played well as well, Huws was just the standout for me.

I do think he doesn't like perceived criticism so just tries to shut it down, which is what the whole "systems don't matter" talk is intended to do. As you say if he keeps winning games then I'll be more than happy to have him here. We need to make sure this is the start of a run now rather than just the end of one.

What did you think of the new attacking centre back system with Chambers and Woofies contributing more up field, thought Chambers had his best game for quite sometime .
When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 10:05 - Jan 12 with 1469 viewsHerbivore

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 10:01 - Jan 12 by Wickets

What did you think of the new attacking centre back system with Chambers and Woofies contributing more up field, thought Chambers had his best game for quite sometime .

Chambers and Woolfy were superb, both of them bagged an assist and provided a potent and unexpected attacking threat. Was good to see. If we do continue with this system I still think we'd benefit from a left sided CB who is comfortable on the ball to give us better balance.

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 10:05 - Jan 12 with 1471 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I've no idea what he means, he contradicts himself.

However what I do think is;

It's got to the stage with some of the press where he will say black is white just to avoid agreeing with them.

I'm tired of his petty feud with the press, and I wish he could rise above it and enjoy a win.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 10:30 - Jan 12 with 1373 viewsGuthrum

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 10:05 - Jan 12 by Herbivore

Chambers and Woolfy were superb, both of them bagged an assist and provided a potent and unexpected attacking threat. Was good to see. If we do continue with this system I still think we'd benefit from a left sided CB who is comfortable on the ball to give us better balance.

Wonder if Chambers' long experience playing RB helps when in a more attacking CB role. Once off the leash, he is comfortable getting forward.

Remember those goals he's scored in the past arriving late and unexpected at the back post.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 10:39 - Jan 12 with 1342 viewsStockholmBlue

I give him right in that players are more important then systems every day of the week. Good players should be able to adopt to whatever system you decide to play.

Obviously system has some impact on performande as it gives the players the framework within how they should play, press, etc.

But it is not a change of system that stops a bad run of results, it has to come from the players. Determination, intensity, belief, etc.

However his attitude in the interview is letting him down. That is not the way to conduct yourself as a trainer, especially not after a convincing win.

Ipswich Town FC since 1981

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 10:44 - Jan 12 with 1307 viewstractorboy1978

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 10:39 - Jan 12 by StockholmBlue

I give him right in that players are more important then systems every day of the week. Good players should be able to adopt to whatever system you decide to play.

Obviously system has some impact on performande as it gives the players the framework within how they should play, press, etc.

But it is not a change of system that stops a bad run of results, it has to come from the players. Determination, intensity, belief, etc.

However his attitude in the interview is letting him down. That is not the way to conduct yourself as a trainer, especially not after a convincing win.

The best players can adapt but we are a L1 side full of players that are playing at this level for a reason.
When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 10:50 - Jan 12 with 1279 viewsGuthrum

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 09:54 - Jan 12 by Mullet

Also the fact that football managers are not necessarily slick PR professionals and may not make their points in the most clear and succinct fashion.

He may also be baffled that the team is up at the top end of the division but a gloom has descended akin to a hopeless relegation battle (indeed, worse than last season). He might find the fragility of fan/media morale quite frustrating. He may not understand how close to the surface remain the disappointments, strife and divisions of the decade or so before he arrived.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 16:39 - Jan 12 with 1058 viewsHerbivore

When Lambert says “ systems don’t win you games players do” what does he on 10:30 - Jan 12 by Guthrum

Wonder if Chambers' long experience playing RB helps when in a more attacking CB role. Once off the leash, he is comfortable getting forward.

Remember those goals he's scored in the past arriving late and unexpected at the back post.

Yes, he's always been useful getting forward. My only worry is whether he really has the legs to do it consistently and whether some of the better sides in the division might be able to exploit the gaps he leaves.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024