Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Woolfie 16:39 - Jan 8 with 3156 viewsagravenor

Heard Brenner signing Luke's praises on the radio on Saturday because he is always looking to keep the ball on the floor and look for a forward pass. Does anyone else think BW is off the mark a little? Woolf knocks rather aimless balls down the flank numerous times during games (Maybe because of lack of options showing in midfield...?)

Btw, I'm a fan of Woolf & he is a great prospect but thought that comment was a bit off.

EDIT: I know Woolf is more than capable to play it on the floor, but for whatever reason he is not. Lack of options and teams style of play come to mind. Just thought the timing of the praise was odd
[Post edited 9 Jan 2020 10:53]
Woolfie on 16:41 - Jan 8 with 3133 viewshomer_123

Woolfie has ended up playing left wing and right wing before now and skinning defenders.

The lad is a natural ball player. Yes, he does hit a few down the flanks but is that him or Lambert asking him to do that?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Woolfie on 16:45 - Jan 8 with 3104 viewsagravenor

Woolfie on 16:41 - Jan 8 by homer_123

Woolfie has ended up playing left wing and right wing before now and skinning defenders.

The lad is a natural ball player. Yes, he does hit a few down the flanks but is that him or Lambert asking him to do that?

I agree that he is a good player with the ball at his feet. But, for an extended period of games I don't think we have been seeing that quality from him.
Whether that's coaching decisions or otherwise
Woolfie on 08:33 - Jan 9 with 2810 viewsRRB

I don't think they're aimless. I think he is trying to play it to someone over the top. But he definitely prefers to play passes on the ground when possible.
Woolfie on 09:01 - Jan 9 with 2757 viewsSwansea_Blue

He plays a lot of hoofball. Whether that's down to his innate nature or more because of how we play, I'm not too sure. We also have a very low benchmark when it comes to ball playing centre halves, so it doesn't take much to impress our fanbase.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Woolfie on 09:19 - Jan 9 with 2707 viewsBobbychase

This is where Bishop is key. He demands the ball and has the skill to receive it (on the deck) from the centre backs and then turn and bring other midfielders/strikers into play - even if the other team are pressing.

Too many times I notice our midfielders are not demanding the ball off Holy/Norris or the back four which means they have to go long.

Often it's the former Academy players like Dozzell, Bishop and Nydam who want it to their feet. At least shows they were raised the right way.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Woolfie on 09:38 - Jan 9 with 2664 viewsSwansea_Blue

Woolfie on 09:19 - Jan 9 by Bobbychase

This is where Bishop is key. He demands the ball and has the skill to receive it (on the deck) from the centre backs and then turn and bring other midfielders/strikers into play - even if the other team are pressing.

Too many times I notice our midfielders are not demanding the ball off Holy/Norris or the back four which means they have to go long.

Often it's the former Academy players like Dozzell, Bishop and Nydam who want it to their feet. At least shows they were raised the right way.

Agreed

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Woolfie on 09:52 - Jan 9 with 2614 viewsJon_456

Watch the movement of others when he has the ball next game. You'll notice the only options he has is Chambers behind him, to which he'll be greeted with moans and groans and shouts of 'FORWARD!' by some of our moronic fans. Or in front of him he'll have Skuse or Nolan coming short to receive, but we all know very well that if he does play that ball into them that within 3 seconds he'll receive it straight back, and probably under more pressure than he was the first time.

He's very capable of playing the ball on the deck or dribbling out from the back but if the options aren't there for him to do it, what else can he do but look for optimistic long balls over the top?
Woolfie on 10:01 - Jan 9 with 2600 viewsBobbychase

Woolfie on 09:52 - Jan 9 by Jon_456

Watch the movement of others when he has the ball next game. You'll notice the only options he has is Chambers behind him, to which he'll be greeted with moans and groans and shouts of 'FORWARD!' by some of our moronic fans. Or in front of him he'll have Skuse or Nolan coming short to receive, but we all know very well that if he does play that ball into them that within 3 seconds he'll receive it straight back, and probably under more pressure than he was the first time.

He's very capable of playing the ball on the deck or dribbling out from the back but if the options aren't there for him to do it, what else can he do but look for optimistic long balls over the top?

EXACTLY. Don't know how many times I've had to bite my tongue over the years when a fan nearby is bellowing "get it FORWARD" when defenders are passing it to each other, keeping the ball and looking for an option. If enough people do it, it creates its own din and then when they play it forward and lose it, the same people bellow in disapproval.

It's infuriating.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Login to get fewer ads

Woolfie on 10:03 - Jan 9 with 2590 viewsitfcjoe

Woolfie on 10:01 - Jan 9 by Bobbychase

EXACTLY. Don't know how many times I've had to bite my tongue over the years when a fan nearby is bellowing "get it FORWARD" when defenders are passing it to each other, keeping the ball and looking for an option. If enough people do it, it creates its own din and then when they play it forward and lose it, the same people bellow in disapproval.

It's infuriating.

The problem is a lot of the time when we pass it around at the back e look in more ange r of giving away an opportunitiy than probing to create something, and invariably it ends up going to someone under a bit of pressure who just knocks it long.

So 2 sides to it, personally I'd rather build from the back

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Woolfie on 10:24 - Jan 9 with 2556 viewsJon_456

Woolfie on 10:03 - Jan 9 by itfcjoe

The problem is a lot of the time when we pass it around at the back e look in more ange r of giving away an opportunitiy than probing to create something, and invariably it ends up going to someone under a bit of pressure who just knocks it long.

So 2 sides to it, personally I'd rather build from the back

This is where I'm starting to doubt PL.

As a team where are we right now? With our long term 'plan' we should be introducing the young players in to the squad and adopting some sort of style of play. Currently we're just chucking the players on the pitch and hoping the better players will win it for us.
Woolfie on 10:26 - Jan 9 with 2540 viewschicoazul

Would you give the ball in a tight area to Chambers Kenlock or Donacien?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Woolfie on 10:39 - Jan 9 with 2505 viewsPinewoodblue

Woolfie on 10:24 - Jan 9 by Jon_456

This is where I'm starting to doubt PL.

As a team where are we right now? With our long term 'plan' we should be introducing the young players in to the squad and adopting some sort of style of play. Currently we're just chucking the players on the pitch and hoping the better players will win it for us.

Play it safe is leading to games where we have 60% possession but don’t manage a shot on target.

What is the point of Woolfie passing it across the back knowing it will come straight back to him.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Woolfie on 10:51 - Jan 9 with 2481 viewsagravenor

Woolfie on 09:52 - Jan 9 by Jon_456

Completely agree with what you have said. He is definitely capable but it isn't happening for whatever reason so just found the praise at this time a bit odd... maybe my OP wasn't too clear. We know he is capable but currently like you say it's a lot of optimistic long balls

I hate the shouts of 'forwards' 90% of the time, would rather install a style of play where we build from the back. Passing around our own half of the pitch is an important part of the game... you can't force going forwards and attacking
Woolfie on 11:00 - Jan 9 with 2455 viewsPinewoodblue

Woolfie on 10:51 - Jan 9 by agravenor

Completely agree with what you have said. He is definitely capable but it isn't happening for whatever reason so just found the praise at this time a bit odd... maybe my OP wasn't too clear. We know he is capable but currently like you say it's a lot of optimistic long balls

I hate the shouts of 'forwards' 90% of the time, would rather install a style of play where we build from the back. Passing around our own half of the pitch is an important part of the game... you can't force going forwards and attacking

The whole idea of passing across the back is to look for a way forward. At times we pass it across the back and then hoof it down the flank as no one has made themselves available.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Woolfie on 11:05 - Jan 9 with 2446 viewsagravenor

Woolfie on 11:00 - Jan 9 by Pinewoodblue

The whole idea of passing across the back is to look for a way forward. At times we pass it across the back and then hoof it down the flank as no one has made themselves available.

I know I get that. But we currently pass along the back line and then stick a long ball down the flank to let Jackson start a 100m sprint towards which inevitably goes for a goal kick.

If we are going to play long ball football, lets have the correct systems and personnel for it, not just 'hit and hope'. If not, lets have a midfield that can collect the ball from the back line and drive forwards where possible
Woolfie on 12:16 - Jan 9 with 2368 viewsflimflam

Woolfie on 11:00 - Jan 9 by Pinewoodblue

Exactly.

People moan but if you keep the ball moving across the back then eventually an option will appear. Only takes one opposition player to not track their man and you can start an attack from there. I even teach my kids team that you sometimes need to go backwards to go forwards which seems alien to some of them but they are 12 yrs old!!

Frustrates me when you hear people losing their shiiite when we are playing it about at the back and then next minute have a meltdown when we hit it long.

The fix for this is to have midfield players comfortable to receive the ball in tight areas and not hide away. Bishop, Downes, Dozzell, Nolan, Judge, Huws are all good enough to do it so why its not happening I cannot answer.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2020 12:20]

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Woolfie on 13:42 - Jan 9 with 2223 viewsPilgrimblue

Woolfie on 12:16 - Jan 9 by flimflam

Exactly.

People moan but if you keep the ball moving across the back then eventually an option will appear. Only takes one opposition player to not track their man and you can start an attack from there. I even teach my kids team that you sometimes need to go backwards to go forwards which seems alien to some of them but they are 12 yrs old!!

Frustrates me when you hear people losing their shiiite when we are playing it about at the back and then next minute have a meltdown when we hit it long.

The fix for this is to have midfield players comfortable to receive the ball in tight areas and not hide away. Bishop, Downes, Dozzell, Nolan, Judge, Huws are all good enough to do it so why its not happening I cannot answer.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2020 12:20]

I can, Skuse gets the ball so then goes back/sideways or he hoofs to some space in the hope someone will run after it !!
Woolfie on 15:50 - Jan 9 with 2137 viewsNo9

Listening to RS it is difficult not too believe B Wooley is not shouting for the opposition.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024