Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
17 games since Jacksons last goal.. 16:55 - Jan 5 with 3899 viewsWallingford_Boy

With his pace, is he not better suited to wing play?

Doesn't really seem a natural goal scorer.

He works hard, gets a few assists but just doesn't seem to be a frontman, would rather give Keane/Norwood a go together.

I know everyone loves him on here, so I'm sure I'll get shot down, but just my view.

RIP Sir Bobby

17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 17:00 - Jan 5 with 3483 viewsHerbivore

You seem to be counting several games he didn't play in within that run, although that is a long time without a goal.

I think it partly reflects that we're not scoring as a side or really creating chances. I think his best role would be as a wide forward in a 4-3-3, same goes for Sears. I hope that's how we play for the rest of the season.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 17:08 - Jan 5 with 3448 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Everyone talks about his pace. I don’t think we have actually seen it as much as we thought we would.

I think the inside forward role suits him better. He’s not smart enough to be a striker.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 17:17 - Jan 5 with 3412 viewsTractorWood

I like him because he's hardworking and committed.

However, I'd much rather have someone who strolled around and scored goals regularly.

There's a huge amount of endeavour with Norwood and Jackson but a glaring lack of being clinical and quality when it counts.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2020 17:17]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 17:20 - Jan 5 with 3397 viewsHullblue

I thought he was great out there against Bristol Rovers - one of the best individual performances I’ve seen all season. But he hasn’t played there since. Presumably Lambert and co. saw something they didn’t like?

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 17:24 - Jan 5 with 3385 viewsStokieBlue

How many did Norwood go without scoring? How many games did Jackson start? Why the free ride for Norwood who has been hugely disappointing on the whole?

You seem to have a real problem with Jackson which isn't based on facts.

He might actually be well suited to a wide forward role if he was allowed to stay high up the pitch.

SB
[Post edited 5 Jan 2020 17:24]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 17:27 - Jan 5 with 3365 viewsTractorCam

How many shots out of interest?

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 17:27 - Jan 5 with 3369 viewsChurchman75

This level is far too high for him

His touch is awful and his decision making is worse

He cannot and does not ever win a a header and as I say when he’s away with the ball, 9 times out of 10 makes the wrong decision.

Mid table league 2 striker at best

Poll: Attendance today as its community day and ticket offer..... SAR Upper is full..

17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 17:30 - Jan 5 with 3346 viewsHerbivore

17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 17:27 - Jan 5 by Churchman75

He cannot and does not ever win a a header and as I say when he’s away with the ball, 9 times out of 10 makes the wrong decision.

And yet only a handful of players in the league have directly contributed to more goals than him. This is one of the worst opinions I think I've ever seen on here, and that's saying something.

Login to get fewer ads

17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 17:36 - Jan 5 with 3319 viewsFtnfwest

He’s not really our problem, a creative midfield is. Or rather a total lack of it as it’s either long term injured or completely absent
17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 17:45 - Jan 5 with 3278 viewsPJH

17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 17:00 - Jan 5 by Herbivore

You seem to be counting several games he didn't play in within that run, although that is a long time without a goal.

I think it partly reflects that we're not scoring as a side or really creating chances. I think his best role would be as a wide forward in a 4-3-3, same goes for Sears. I hope that's how we play for the rest of the season.

Just because he is not on the pitch is no reason for not getting a goal though surely.
17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 17:46 - Jan 5 with 3275 viewsStokieBlue

What a load of nonsense.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 18:05 - Jan 5 with 3225 viewsSwansea_Blue

He jumps out as a wide forward to me. Not a tricky winger, obviously, but someone who’ll chase down balls in the channels and also work his balls off to pressurise the defence. He’s not a natural goal scorer, but does have some other good attributes. A poor man’s Walters if you like.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 18:06 - Jan 5 with 3222 viewsRadlett_blue

I think this is the level of players in the 3rd tier. Jackson is technically poor, but you could say that about most players at this level. No wonder Hurst's lower league signings are no better than average 3rd tier players. I think the man was deluded after having some success as a League 1 manager & allowing him to replace Webster, Waghorn & McGoldrick with League One players is why we are here now & struggling to get out of this league.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 18:41 - Jan 5 with 3118 viewsLankHenners

9 if you take the ones he's actually played in.

If you look at his goals this season, they been instinctive finishes from being slipped in behind the defence or reactions to saves/blocks from set piece situations and, Southend aside, all came in our unbeaten run at the start of the season. Back then we generally stuck to a basic 442 where we didn't look particularly convincing but it was settled enough and easy enough for the players to know what they had to do. Skuse and Downes were in the middle with Norwood and Jackson up front.

Not that we should necessarily return to that but it's clear that since Lambert's incessant shuffling about and rotation we haven't been able to get the most out of the players or played to their strengths. Yes, teams have sat in which has exposed Jackson's weaknesses as his ability to get the ball under control quickly and his decision making when given plenty of time are poor. However, as a team we're not doing enough to counter that or even get enough balls in the box to give him something to work with.

A wide forward in a 433 would be most sensible at this point: it allows us to get 3 midfielders in whilst also giving plenty of firepower up front where Jackson can get some space out wide and in behind where teams sit in compact and narrow where going down the centre makes it tricky for him.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 18:59 - Jan 5 with 3056 viewsBiGDonnie

He’s rubbish. I said this when he was scoring a couple.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 19:25 - Jan 5 with 3004 viewsDinnernotTea

17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 18:05 - Jan 5 by Swansea_Blue

He jumps out as a wide forward to me. Not a tricky winger, obviously, but someone who’ll chase down balls in the channels and also work his balls off to pressurise the defence. He’s not a natural goal scorer, but does have some other good attributes. A poor man’s Walters if you like.

I think Jackson gets a rough deal by most. We could have Kane up there and he would struggle. The service from our midfield is a disgrace.

Jackson is our top assistsman and I think has bagged 7. Screams out to me to use him as a Danny Haynes type. Pretty much brainless but a decent weapon to have out wide? I think Jackson has all the tools to be decent wide right in L1.

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 20:22 - Jan 5 with 2927 viewsHullblue

17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 18:06 - Jan 5 by Radlett_blue

I think this is the level of players in the 3rd tier. Jackson is technically poor, but you could say that about most players at this level. No wonder Hurst's lower league signings are no better than average 3rd tier players. I think the man was deluded after having some success as a League 1 manager & allowing him to replace Webster, Waghorn & McGoldrick with League One players is why we are here now & struggling to get out of this league.

I think ‘technically poor’ is harsh. I don’t think he’s very good at linking up in crowded areas in the middle of the pitch. He couldn’t have set up Keane’s goal like Freddie did yesterday, for instance. But with space to run into out wide his crossing has been awesome at times - see the cross for Norwood’s goal against Bristol Rovers.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 21:38 - Jan 5 with 2843 viewsPositivelyPortman

17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 17:08 - Jan 5 by TRUE_BLUE123

Everyone talks about his pace. I don’t think we have actually seen it as much as we thought we would.

I think the inside forward role suits him better. He’s not smart enough to be a striker.

I’ll bet you’d be smart enough to be a striker wouldn’t you?

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 21:42 - Jan 5 with 2830 viewsRadlett_blue

17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 20:22 - Jan 5 by Hullblue

I think ‘technically poor’ is harsh. I don’t think he’s very good at linking up in crowded areas in the middle of the pitch. He couldn’t have set up Keane’s goal like Freddie did yesterday, for instance. But with space to run into out wide his crossing has been awesome at times - see the cross for Norwood’s goal against Bristol Rovers.

By this, I think his ball control & first touch are poor, but maybe average for a lower division striker.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 10:17 - Jan 7 with 2593 viewsShropshireBluenago09

17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 17:24 - Jan 5 by StokieBlue

How many did Norwood go without scoring? How many games did Jackson start? Why the free ride for Norwood who has been hugely disappointing on the whole?

You seem to have a real problem with Jackson which isn't based on facts.

He might actually be well suited to a wide forward role if he was allowed to stay high up the pitch.

SB
[Post edited 5 Jan 2020 17:24]

Norwood was injured for a few weeks and struggled to get back up to speed. Norwood is still the best striker we have at the club.

Gus Uhlenbeek

17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 11:26 - Jan 7 with 2536 viewsHerbivore

17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 10:17 - Jan 7 by ShropshireBluenago09

Norwood was injured for a few weeks and struggled to get back up to speed. Norwood is still the best striker we have at the club.

Personally I rate Keane, Sears and Jackson as better forwards than Norwood. His all round game is poor and he misses bags of chances.

17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 11:37 - Jan 7 with 2515 viewsRobTheMonk

Garbutt - Norwood/Keane - Jackson/Sears

That's what I'd quite like to see as a front 3. Sears to go LW if Garbutt has to drop back.

Play 3 in midfield, Downes, Bishop (if fit), + take your pick.

Woolfie and Chambers, KVY (when fit), new LB.

Holy goalie.
17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 11:41 - Jan 7 with 2495 viewsSouperJim

I think both Jackson and Norwood are limited, neither are technically gifted and their decision making is often poor. They did quite well when we were getting ontop of teams and hit a good vein of confidence, but Keane and Sears are of a much better pedigree and will probably make a more complimentary partnership too. Just need to get them both match sharp.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 14:39 - Jan 7 with 2398 viewsPilgrimblue

17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 11:41 - Jan 7 by SouperJim

I think both Jackson and Norwood are limited, neither are technically gifted and their decision making is often poor. They did quite well when we were getting ontop of teams and hit a good vein of confidence, but Keane and Sears are of a much better pedigree and will probably make a more complimentary partnership too. Just need to get them both match sharp.

I agree that Keane/Sears combo would be best but they'd need time. PL should keep Jackson/Norwood but sub them for last 20 mins. Don't understand why PL leaves it so late when subs can't get into game in such short time.
As for Norwood he seems to have lost confidence as he was much more instinctive before.
17 games since Jacksons last goal.. on 14:42 - Jan 7 with 2383 viewsHarryWright

I think creating chances is the issue, notice a lot of times Jackson has to create chances himself. I genuinely think given the opportunities he'd score a decent total in this league, but I wouldn't be against having him and sears either side of Norwood or Keane in a 433.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024