Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now 16:24 - Jan 5 with 1915 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

This new contract has thrown me.

Is Lambert essentially unsackable ? Does this contract change things, he still had time to run on his last one, so is the only situation that has changed the pay off?

I am not really clued up when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 16:29 - Jan 5 with 1602 viewsBlueBadger

He's not unsackable, he's just now very expensive to sack.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 16:31 - Jan 5 with 1588 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 16:29 - Jan 5 by BlueBadger

I assume the pay off is quite large ?

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 16:32 - Jan 5 with 1583 viewsKingsCrossBlue

To be honest, without seeing the contract - we have no idea.

If it took months to finalise, I'm sure there are milestone clauses, bonuses indexed to performance and break clauses for both parties. But again, we'll never and probably shouldn't know.

One thing, it does give us the potential of stability and the ability to build something now. I don't think any of us have been impressed with performances but shaking the dice on a manager ever year whilst we are in such a precarious financial position is dangerous IMO.

I'm all for it.
I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 16:32 - Jan 5 with 1577 viewsHerbivore

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 16:29 - Jan 5 by BlueBadger

I really do hope there are clauses. If not it's utter madness.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 16:34 - Jan 5 with 1573 viewsPhilTWTD

There will be break clauses, although will probably cost ME more cash to end it the earlier it's done.
I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 16:43 - Jan 5 with 1514 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 16:32 - Jan 5 by KingsCrossBlue

To be honest, without seeing the contract - we have no idea.

If it took months to finalise, I'm sure there are milestone clauses, bonuses indexed to performance and break clauses for both parties. But again, we'll never and probably shouldn't know.

One thing, it does give us the potential of stability and the ability to build something now. I don't think any of us have been impressed with performances but shaking the dice on a manager ever year whilst we are in such a precarious financial position is dangerous IMO.

I'm all for it.

I get that argument.

But look at Sunderland. You could argue they took too long to get rid off Ross and now they are stuck. I just can’t see Lamberts long term plane he keeps talking about.

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 16:48 - Jan 5 with 1499 viewsjeera

I don't find it comfortable but I assume it's an attempt to provide some stability.

If the players and also the non- playing staff know they are working under conditions that are unlikely to change any time soon then they have 2 choices; to get on board or look for a way out.

In some ways it makes sense. Under the present situation it's a struggle to get your head around.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 16:54 - Jan 5 with 1459 viewsElephantintheRoom

Surely it's quite simple. After employing four unpopular duds who he clearly didnt have much confidence in, Lambo ticks a few boxes with the owner. So by showing Lambo is the man in charge despite what players or supporters might think, the aim is to try and get stability through the difficult times ahead.

You could look upon it as a 5 year plan.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Login to get fewer ads

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 16:55 - Jan 5 with 1450 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 16:54 - Jan 5 by ElephantintheRoom

Surely it's quite simple. After employing four unpopular duds who he clearly didnt have much confidence in, Lambo ticks a few boxes with the owner. So by showing Lambo is the man in charge despite what players or supporters might think, the aim is to try and get stability through the difficult times ahead.

You could look upon it as a 5 year plan.

I was more asking about the clauses and pay off increases.

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 16:58 - Jan 5 with 1436 viewsRegencyBlue

I’ve not been able to make much sense of most of Evans decisions over the years so this is just another one to add to the list.

Logically it makes Lambert more expensive to sack in the short to medium term so I’m taking from that Lambert is safe for the foreseeable future. That may or may not turn out to be a good decision, time will tell I guess!
I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 17:07 - Jan 5 with 1389 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 16:58 - Jan 5 by RegencyBlue

I’ve not been able to make much sense of most of Evans decisions over the years so this is just another one to add to the list.

Logically it makes Lambert more expensive to sack in the short to medium term so I’m taking from that Lambert is safe for the foreseeable future. That may or may not turn out to be a good decision, time will tell I guess!

I always say nothing surprises me with Ipswich.

But this absolutely frazzled my brain.

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 17:11 - Jan 5 with 1375 viewsLeoMuff

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 16:58 - Jan 5 by RegencyBlue

I think on paper all Evans appointments apart from Jewell made sense and probably had the backing of most fans, Keane was exciting looking a very promising young manager for most of his time at Sunderland, MM was clearly the best around at the time, Hurst was the pick of candidates at the the time for me, and Lambert was the best we could get in the situation

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 17:15 - Jan 5 with 1350 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 17:11 - Jan 5 by LeoMuff

I think on paper all Evans appointments apart from Jewell made sense and probably had the backing of most fans, Keane was exciting looking a very promising young manager for most of his time at Sunderland, MM was clearly the best around at the time, Hurst was the pick of candidates at the the time for me, and Lambert was the best we could get in the situation

Mark Warburton would have been my choice instead of Lambert. He probably made sense over Hurst tbh. Good mix of experience and good football and always throws in youth.

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 17:19 - Jan 5 with 1327 viewsHARRY10

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 16:55 - Jan 5 by TRUE_BLUE123

If Lambert was sacked with 18 months of his contract left he would receive the remaining 18 months pay

If Lambert were sacked with 5 years of contract left he would receive the remaining 5 years pay.

I can see how found/find that rather difficult and confusing to grasp.
I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 17:24 - Jan 5 with 1314 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 17:19 - Jan 5 by HARRY10

If Lambert was sacked with 18 months of his contract left he would receive the remaining 18 months pay

If Lambert were sacked with 5 years of contract left he would receive the remaining 5 years pay.

Appalling Grammar. Again I was asking about the increase and how much this new contract would’ve seen him earn.

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 17:34 - Jan 5 with 1280 viewsHerbivore

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 17:19 - Jan 5 by HARRY10

You know the exact terms of the contract?

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 17:35 - Jan 5 with 1273 viewsHARRY10

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 17:24 - Jan 5 by TRUE_BLUE123

Appalling Grammar. Again I was asking about the increase and how much this new contract would’ve seen him earn.

no, that is a lie
I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 17:37 - Jan 5 with 1263 viewsHARRY10

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 17:34 - Jan 5 by Herbivore

You know the exact terms of the contract?

where did I say that ?

if we score more goals than Accrington next week, we win

does that mean I know the exact score ?
I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 17:44 - Jan 5 with 1222 viewsHerbivore

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 17:37 - Jan 5 by HARRY10

where did I say that ?

if we score more goals than Accrington next week, we win

does that mean I know the exact score ?

The new contract may well include break clauses and/or settlement clauses. In a 5 year contract I'd imagine that's quite likely. It's not as simple as a longer contract meaning a higher cost to sack him. We can't know without knowing the terms.

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 17:44 - Jan 5 with 1220 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 17:35 - Jan 5 by HARRY10

no, that is a lie

No it’s not, you really do have bad grammar.

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 17:45 - Jan 5 with 1219 viewsBlueBadger

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 16:32 - Jan 5 by Herbivore

I really do hope there are clauses. If not it's utter madness.

Even with them, granting an extension to a manager who's performing poorly in his current job and failed in in all his previous jobs bar one seems generous.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2020 18:05]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 17:46 - Jan 5 with 1209 viewsHerbivore

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 17:45 - Jan 5 by BlueBadger

Even with them, granting an extension to a manager who's performing poorly in his current job and failed in in all his previous jobs bar one seems generous.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2020 18:05]

I totally agree, the new contract is absurd. I seem to remember Hurst having a clause that meant we could bin him off cheaply so perhaps Evans is more savvy than we think in that narrow respect.

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 17:56 - Jan 5 with 1181 viewsPJH

Maybe Marcus Evans has read about The Cobbold's giving Bobby Robson a new contract when some wanted him gone and is expecting similar results.
I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 18:22 - Jan 5 with 1073 viewsSwansea_Blue

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 16:55 - Jan 5 by TRUE_BLUE123

As a couple of others have said, it’s likely that he’d now be more expensive to get rid of. Normally, the longer the contract the higher the compensation if a manager or player is let go.

We don’t know the details of course and several things can change ‘normal’, from simple release clauses through to whatever discussions take place if/when he goes (it wouldn’t surprise me if Lambert was the type to not hang us out to dry if we sack him, he seems a decent sort. That’d depend on whether he departs on good terms with ME I suspect, but I’m just guessing).

In terms of what this means now, absolutely nothing. It’s just a contract and no different in principle to any other contract any other manager is offered. It’s a long one, but Ancelotti has just signed a 4.5 yr deal at Everton by way of comparison. Lambert is still sackable if he doesn’t perform (although given the length of the deal and how ME was with Mick I expect he really would like Lambert to see out the contract at least). I think the only thing we can take from it is that Evans is committed for now and doesn’t like change, but we know that already.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 18:53 - Jan 5 with 992 viewsTerry_Nutkins

I’ve never been more confused about football than I am now on 17:11 - Jan 5 by LeoMuff

100% true.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024