Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Veganuary 2020 12:16 - Jan 4 with 19441 viewsJ2BLUE

Lets try and keep this civil people. The meat eaters versus vegans thing has been done to death. Most of the board have nothing new to add. If you feel compelled to reply telling us how you're knee deep in chicken wings that is entirely your choice.

Anyone doing it? Just tried the new Costa vegan 'cheese' and 'ham' toastie. I hope they keep it. It's good enough to for me to choose regularly.

Any decent product suggestions? Recipe ideas? etc
[Post edited 5 Jan 2020 13:41]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Veganuary 2019 on 12:19 - Jan 4 with 5108 viewsfooters

Saw the queues for the new Greggs vegan slice... round the block!

As for recipes, I usually make Indian food for my vegan/veggies pals as it's relatively simple to do and doesn't require fake meat of any kind. Veg curries, daals, etc. Also a good excuse to load up your cupboards with spices.

Dunno if there's a Leon in Ipswich but the vegan lad at work goes there fairly often and their vegan options look pretty good.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2020 12:19]

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Veganuary 2019 on 12:23 - Jan 4 with 5089 viewsjeera

Veganuary 2019 on 12:19 - Jan 4 by footers

As for recipes, I usually make Indian food for my vegan/veggies pals as it's relatively simple to do and doesn't require fake meat of any kind. Veg curries, daals, etc. Also a good excuse to load up your cupboards with spices.

Dunno if there's a Leon in Ipswich but the vegan lad at work goes there fairly often and their vegan options look pretty good.

My first vegan friend was a chap who owned a small quaint restaurant in Diss.

As I worked the market there on Fridays, his place for a large bowl of their amazing dhal with fresh granary loaf, was my go-to lunch for a long time.

As you say, for vegetarian especially, but also vegan food, you can't go far wrong with Indian.

They do of course rely on dairy products for every day use in India, but that's another matter.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2020 12:26]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Veganuary 2019 on 12:26 - Jan 4 with 5075 viewsBlueBadger

What I don't get about any of these kind of month-long faddy things is why choose the most depressing month of the year to give up things you like?

Save it for the summer, folks.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Veganuary 2019 on 12:28 - Jan 4 with 5060 viewshampstead_blue

I think great food will always beat cheap ingredients.
If it's vegan then brilliant. We're always happy to eat something new.

I'd like a local restaurant to us in Wilts to offer a few vegan dishes. We cook but there is a huge difference when a good chef does something special.

Not worried if it's vegan/veggie/meat. Curries are an obvious which are amazing however I always smell lamb when I smell curry so I may have to tune to old taste buds a bit.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Veganuary 2019 on 12:36 - Jan 4 with 5033 viewsfabian_illness

Veganuary 2019 on 12:19 - Jan 4 by footers

If you, or anyone else for that matter, has a knock out daal recipe, I’d love to give it a go.
👍
Veganuary 2019 on 12:42 - Jan 4 with 5016 viewsjeera

Veganuary 2019 on 12:36 - Jan 4 by fabian_illness

If you, or anyone else for that matter, has a knock out daal recipe, I’d love to give it a go.
👍

If I may offer one tip.

Cooking lentils can be time consuming so I tend to make a basic batch at a time and freeze them in portion sized tubs so I can pull them out for whatever use when I want.

Select your blend; maybe 3 quarters red split and a quarter yellow split (just an example) and after soaking and washing them thoroughly boil them up with a clove or two of garlic and a cube of ginger. You could add a little turmeric.

But then you have a plain blend to flavour as you like when you need them.

Veganuary 2019 on 12:44 - Jan 4 with 5012 viewsJ2BLUE

Veganuary 2019 on 12:42 - Jan 4 by jeera

If I may offer one tip.

Cooking lentils can be time consuming so I tend to make a basic batch at a time and freeze them in portion sized tubs so I can pull them out for whatever use when I want.

Select your blend; maybe 3 quarters red split and a quarter yellow split (just an example) and after soaking and washing them thoroughly boil them up with a clove or two of garlic and a cube of ginger. You could add a little turmeric.

But then you have a plain blend to flavour as you like when you need them.

Cheers everyone.

Probably a stupid question but other than being more expensive is there anything wrong with using tinned lentils which are obviously soaked in water and ready to use immediately?

Truly impaired.

Veganuary 2019 on 12:45 - Jan 4 with 5004 viewsjeera

Veganuary 2019 on 12:44 - Jan 4 by J2BLUE

Cheers everyone.

Probably a stupid question but other than being more expensive is there anything wrong with using tinned lentils which are obviously soaked in water and ready to use immediately?

Not done that myself.

I think the only time I might consider that is for chickpeas.

Do your bloomin' own and don't be so lazy.

Login to get fewer ads

Veganuary 2019 on 12:45 - Jan 4 with 5005 viewsSwailsey

I’m going to eat nothing but meat this January instead, give myself a rest.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Veganuary 2019 on 12:47 - Jan 4 with 5000 viewsSwailsey

Cheers everyone.

On a more serious note, I’d always go frozen rather than canned if you can - or if canned, go for ones in plain liquid - not oil etc.

I tend to always use frozen spinach etc and as long as it’s frozen instantly (it should say on the packet), it’s just as good I think.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Veganuary 2019 on 12:50 - Jan 4 with 4981 viewsJ2BLUE

Veganuary 2019 on 12:45 - Jan 4 by jeera

Not done that myself.

I think the only time I might consider that is for chickpeas.

Do your bloomin' own and don't be so lazy.

Do I have to? Seems so pointless and time consuming.

I already resent having to boil pasta.

Truly impaired.

Veganuary 2019 on 12:51 - Jan 4 with 4975 viewsJ2BLUE

Veganuary 2019 on 12:47 - Jan 4 by Swailsey

On a more serious note, I’d always go frozen rather than canned if you can - or if canned, go for ones in plain liquid - not oil etc.

I tend to always use frozen spinach etc and as long as it’s frozen instantly (it should say on the packet), it’s just as good I think.

Cheers, yea i'd never buy in oil. Just plain water.

Truly impaired.

Veganuary 2019 on 12:51 - Jan 4 with 4975 viewsWD19

Veganuary 2019 on 12:26 - Jan 4 by BlueBadger

What I don't get about any of these kind of month-long faddy things is why choose the most depressing month of the year to give up things you like?

They did November too (world Vegan month) and I am sure they will think of something for March, May, July and September.
Veganuary 2019 on 12:53 - Jan 4 with 4964 viewsjeera

Veganuary 2019 on 12:50 - Jan 4 by J2BLUE

No, you don't have to.

I can't even come up with a good reason why you should, but it's what I do so it must be right.

Veganuary 2019 on 12:55 - Jan 4 with 4954 viewsJ2BLUE

Veganuary 2019 on 12:53 - Jan 4 by jeera

No, you don't have to.

I can't even come up with a good reason why you should, but it's what I do so it must be right.

My new obsession is pearl barley. Love that stuff.

Truly impaired.

Veganuary 2019 on 13:04 - Jan 4 with 4929 viewsHerbivore

I made this recipe this morning: https://www.ilovevegan.com/fudgy-vegan-walnut-brownies/

Best vegan brownies I've had, nice and light but still a bit fudgey.

Aquafaba is amazing stuff, incredible what you can do with it as an egg substitute. I made a delicious black olive aioli last night to go with dukkah crusted carrots, warm spiced carrot hummus, tabbouleh and crispy chickpeas. It was absolutely delicious.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Veganuary 2019 on 13:09 - Jan 4 with 4906 viewsfooters

Cheers everyone.

Made something the other week that insisted on using dried white beans instead of pre-soaked. The difference was marginal, so I wouldn't have an issue using canned if you can't be arsed to leave them to soak. Otherwise just stick in a pot overnight and they'll be ready in the morning.

Also if you're on a diet watch out for added salt/preservatives with the canned kind.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Veganuary 2019 on 13:13 - Jan 4 with 4892 viewsHerbivore

Cheers everyone.

I always use dried when making a daal as they absorb more of the flavour and start to breakdown nicely. Not sure how well tinned would work. It's not really a lot of effort, you don't have to stand over them when they're cooking.

Veganuary 2019 on 14:04 - Jan 4 with 4820 viewsDubtractor

Mrs Dub, plus other vegan mates, reckon this is one of the best vegan cook books out there.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Veganuary 2019 on 14:09 - Jan 4 with 4806 viewsHerbivore

Veganuary 2019 on 13:09 - Jan 4 by footers

Made something the other week that insisted on using dried white beans instead of pre-soaked. The difference was marginal, so I wouldn't have an issue using canned if you can't be arsed to leave them to soak. Otherwise just stick in a pot overnight and they'll be ready in the morning.

Also if you're on a diet watch out for added salt/preservatives with the canned kind.

Red lentils don't really need soaking and only take under half an hour to cook. Not a great hardship really.

Veganuary 2019 on 14:10 - Jan 4 with 4806 viewsRyorry

I just eat as wide a variety as poss of what I'm actually able to & which keeps me as healthy as poss - normally includes meat (usually red) once or twice a week from free range & high welfare standards sources (same for eggs, now usually Burford Browns that Waitrose stock).

What I have done that's new is bought a full-blown 3-pot steamer, on the back of a friend's mostly steamer cooked Christmas dinner, in which the potatoes & veg, all steamer cooked, were the most delicious & sweet I've ever eaten - and that includes my home-grown on veg plot ones!

New discoveries are Cauldron Middle-Eastern Falafals sold by Waitrose - yummy; and The Mighty Society Pea Mylk (both original sweetened & unsweetened) sold by Sainsburys - likeable, refreshing & very welcome additions to the alternative milks market.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2020 14:31]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Veganuary 2019 on 14:19 - Jan 4 with 4786 viewsGeoffSentence

Remember, ethical vegans now get the same protection as people do for their race and religion, so keep it legal fellas.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Veganuary 2019 on 14:20 - Jan 4 with 4780 viewsRyorry

Veganuary 2019 on 12:50 - Jan 4 by J2BLUE

If you don't want to do boiling, have you thought about sprouting chickpeas, lentils & beanz? Meanz you get "veg" (vits & mins) included with your protein. Just stick em in separate jamjars, with lids you puncture with a fork or knife, soak em in full covering water for 24 hours, drain & rinse once or twice daily, ready in 3-5 days. Delicious on their own cold, or can be mixed into other things. You can also buy purpose built sprouters.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Veganuary 2019 on 14:33 - Jan 4 with 4747 viewsHerbivore

Veganuary 2019 on 14:19 - Jan 4 by GeoffSentence

Remember, ethical vegans now get the same protection as people do for their race and religion, so keep it legal fellas.

Indeed. I will be reporting hate crimes if need be.

Aye on 14:46 - Jan 4 with 4744 viewsDyland

Veganuary 2019 on 12:26 - Jan 4 by BlueBadger

Though a week or two off the pop is probably a good idea for some peeps, for your mental state as much as anything. As far as food goes, I don't really get why people can't stick to a sensible diet all year round except for the obvious cluster of celebration dates that happen around Xmas.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024