Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) 09:44 - Jan 4 with 7386 viewsSitfcB

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 09:53 - Jan 4 with 2371 viewsartsbossbeard

Is he?

I'm still getting tweets from him...

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 09:55 - Jan 4 with 2348 viewsgerryitfc

You should've put OFF after RIP.
Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 10:08 - Jan 4 with 2287 viewsCoco

He’ll be back

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 10:14 - Jan 4 with 2281 viewsGuthrum

He was a friend of a friend (tho I never met him myself). Apparently a decent bloke, whatever you may think of his abilities.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 10:27 - Jan 4 with 2244 viewsfactual_blue

Well, he'll find out if it's true now, won't he?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 10:31 - Jan 4 with 2238 viewsfactual_blue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 10:14 - Jan 4 by Guthrum

He was a friend of a friend (tho I never met him myself). Apparently a decent bloke, whatever you may think of his abilities.

Well, his abilities weren't enough to earn him even one first team start under Bill Shankly.

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 10:33 - Jan 4 with 2232 viewsFtnfwest

Didn’t he have a suet company?
Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 10:36 - Jan 4 with 2235 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Knew him, as i've worked with a lot of the 'Host Hunted' crew over the last 15 years.

What ever you think about him, he was always friendly, self depreciating and genuinely cared that people around him were cared for and were happy.

A genuinely nice man.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Login to get fewer ads

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 10:49 - Jan 4 with 2196 viewssparks

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 10:36 - Jan 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

Knew him, as i've worked with a lot of the 'Host Hunted' crew over the last 15 years.

What ever you think about him, he was always friendly, self depreciating and genuinely cared that people around him were cared for and were happy.

A genuinely nice man.

I have tried to resist comment.

I don't question people saying that they found him a nice and caring man.

I do question whether someone who takes money from vulnerable people, by claiming to communicate with dead loved ones, can ever really be considered "caring" or "decent".
[Post edited 4 Jan 2020 10:52]

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 10:54 - Jan 4 with 2159 viewsHerbivore

A genuinely nice man.

Who made a career out of preying on the vulnerable. Lovely chap.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 10:58 - Jan 4 with 2144 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 10:54 - Jan 4 by Herbivore

It's a matter of opinions though isn't it? Did you ever get conned by him? I doubt it.
But have you considered that the people who got 'messages' from him got enormous comfort from it?

Again, I doubt it. Like I said, he was a nice guy.

I'm not to keen on a lot of professions or people, but that doesn't mean they aren't nice as people.

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 11:00 - Jan 4 with 2133 viewsHerbivore

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 10:58 - Jan 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

It's a matter of opinions though isn't it? Did you ever get conned by him? I doubt it.
But have you considered that the people who got 'messages' from him got enormous comfort from it?

I'm not to keen on a lot of professions or people, but that doesn't mean they aren't nice as people.

He made money lying to vulnerable people. That makes him scum in my eyes, even if he was quite a pleasant chap to chat to over a cuppa when he wasn't swindling anyone.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 11:00 - Jan 4 with 2134 viewssparks

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 10:58 - Jan 4 by Cheltenham_Blue

I dont accept that it is opinion.

I agree that some people may have got comfort from it.

I have huge problems though, with the morality of providing comfort of that type, by deceiving them.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 11:02 - Jan 4 with 2122 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 11:00 - Jan 4 by sparks

I dont accept that it is opinion.

I agree that some people may have got comfort from it.

I have huge problems though, with the morality of providing comfort of that type, by deceiving them.

OK. I'm fine with that.

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 11:02 - Jan 4 with 2119 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 11:00 - Jan 4 by Herbivore

He made money lying to vulnerable people. That makes him scum in my eyes, even if he was quite a pleasant chap to chat to over a cuppa when he wasn't swindling anyone.

Fine with your opinion too.

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 11:02 - Jan 4 with 2115 viewshoppy

Funeral will be interesting... Derek knock twice if you're there

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 11:10 - Jan 4 with 2076 viewsfactual_blue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 09:53 - Jan 4 by artsbossbeard

Is he?

I'm still getting tweets from him...

Maybe you're also dead...

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 11:18 - Jan 4 with 2053 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 10:54 - Jan 4 by Herbivore

I’ve said it before on here (and got slaughtered for it because the RIP thread was about someone in horse racing) but I find it massively distasteful that people would choose this type of thread to slag the person off.

It’s poor form.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 11:18 - Jan 4 with 2052 viewsclive_baker

A genuinely nice man.

Genuine question, did he actually believe in what he was doing? Did he think he had an ability to communicate with dead people and believe himself to be doing so? Or was he aware it was acting / a form of entertainment at the expense of vulnerable people? It makes a bit of a difference IMO when it comes to a character assassination, and would be more sympathetic if it's the former. If so, you might argue the morality of that isn't dissimilar to a number of professions (clergyman for example).

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 11:18 - Jan 4 with 2048 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Watched him a couple of years ago on Celebrity Big Brother. Seemed a nice chap. RIP

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 11:19 - Jan 4 with 2044 viewsjeera

Although I mirror the views there of yours and Bully's, it's possible some of these types believe their own abilities to be real.

When I was young I went to a few circles and witnessed mediums, not only contacting 'other's, but some going full-trance.

There were some local mini-celebrities involved, as in business people, a [medical] doctor, a DJ from what was then Radio Orwell...

I wonder if there's mental health issues involved, as it's clearly bollox, but these weren't getting anything from anyone and quite obviously believe in their own and each other's abilities. it was all rather bizarre.

Edit: I see CB has raised the same point.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2020 11:24]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 11:22 - Jan 4 with 2042 viewsBlueBadger

Lots of obituaries avoiding the words 'fraud' and 'preyed on the vulnerable' this morning, I bet.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 11:22 - Jan 4 with 2035 viewsfooters

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 11:18 - Jan 4 by clive_baker

Genuine question, did he actually believe in what he was doing? Did he think he had an ability to communicate with dead people and believe himself to be doing so? Or was he aware it was acting / a form of entertainment at the expense of vulnerable people? It makes a bit of a difference IMO when it comes to a character assassination, and would be more sympathetic if it's the former. If so, you might argue the morality of that isn't dissimilar to a number of professions (clergyman for example).

That's an interesting point.

Girl I went to school with also does this (charging up to £20 p/h for readings!) and she genuinely believes that she can talk with the spirit world through tarot etc. But on the other hand there are thousands of books on cold reading which are essentially instructions manuals on deception.

Interesting how people can convince themselves of things like that, no matter how rational a person they are. Still a load of bllocks either way, in my v humble onion :)

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 11:22 - Jan 4 with 2033 viewsclive_baker

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 11:18 - Jan 4 by The_Romford_Blue

I’ve said it before on here (and got slaughtered for it because the RIP thread was about someone in horse racing) but I find it massively distasteful that people would choose this type of thread to slag the person off.

It’s poor form.

I don't see why a sensible discussion can't be had. We're not sat around at his wake having it, we're on a football forum. Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Maybe you can raise a drink to him tonight? Dare I say it, a spirit?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Derek Acorah RIP (n/t) on 11:24 - Jan 4 with 2015 viewsBlueBadger

I understand that Harry Redknapp is quite good company...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024