Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden 13:07 - Jan 2 with 3464 viewsRadlett_blue

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/town-chief-on-prospect-of-january-sales-1-6447523
Not what we want to hear early in January. I would accept that it would be difficult to turn down a really silly offer, but right now I can't see anyone paying more than £2-3m for either player & that wouldn't be good business at this stage.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:10 - Jan 2 with 2661 viewsMach_foreignBlue

No matter how much evans receives from the sales it won't be re-invested in the first team. 2M, 5M......irrelevant. We aren't going to benefit from that on the pitch.
O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:18 - Jan 2 with 2600 viewsitfcjoe

I think it's a fair enough point to make, but realistically the figures need to be astronomical to sign them in January as would be a dreadful move.

The summer will be the key with both of them, as both will be playing at a higher level next year - we just need to ensure it is with us!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:21 - Jan 2 with 2552 viewshaynes_toe1

He's hardly saying anything unusual. Decent offers and players will go - if it's the league above their heads will likely be turned anyway.
O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:25 - Jan 2 with 2516 viewsBigManBlue

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:21 - Jan 2 by haynes_toe1

He's hardly saying anything unusual. Decent offers and players will go - if it's the league above their heads will likely be turned anyway.

Yep. I doubt anyone will offer what we'd consider acceptable anyway, unless PL is absolutely desperate to strengthen elsewhere and needs to sell first.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:30 - Jan 2 with 2473 viewsDarth_Koont

Relegation, plus overspending last season to try and keep us up, has probably created a 5-10 million pound hole over and above expected losses.

Unfortunately we might need to move one or both in order to get more breathing space, although I expect if we put off any sales until the Summer and promotion then both would be important to achieve that and would also be worth more - and certainly we could get a lot more even after that if they develop as Championship players.

But that whole scenario goes the other way if we're staying in League One and our need to sell just gets greater and greater.

Pronouns: He/Him

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:36 - Jan 2 with 2418 viewsArnieM

I think the key point he is, Town don’t “ have” to sell. Again trying to look at the bigger picture, if we do decide to accept an offer, I think it will be at a level we consider appropriate and to which we ca; best use those funds to continue this Clubs rebuild, ( the bigger picture).

Evans hasn’t just given a 4 year deal to PL, not to support him in the very project he has brought him and his back room staff to Club for in the first place!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:38 - Jan 2 with 2405 viewshomer_123

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:36 - Jan 2 by ArnieM

I think the key point he is, Town don’t “ have” to sell. Again trying to look at the bigger picture, if we do decide to accept an offer, I think it will be at a level we consider appropriate and to which we ca; best use those funds to continue this Clubs rebuild, ( the bigger picture).

Evans hasn’t just given a 4 year deal to PL, not to support him in the very project he has brought him and his back room staff to Club for in the first place!

We also know, however, that Lambert's only option to refresh his squad is to offload players.

Now, do we think Nsiala is more saleable than Wolfy?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:39 - Jan 2 with 2386 viewsBluefish

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:10 - Jan 2 by Mach_foreignBlue

No matter how much evans receives from the sales it won't be re-invested in the first team. 2M, 5M......irrelevant. We aren't going to benefit from that on the pitch.

If your mate owed you a thousand pounds and he was supposed to make monthly £100 payments but always missed his payments and then one month paid you. Would you

A) accept the £100 and reduce the debt to £900

Or

B) Give him the £100 back and keep the balance at £1000

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Login to get fewer ads

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:40 - Jan 2 with 2377 viewsBluefish

Every single player in league 1 has a price and Downes is one of the best in league 1

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:41 - Jan 2 with 2374 viewshomer_123

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:40 - Jan 2 by Bluefish

Every single player in league 1 has a price and Downes is one of the best in league 1

Knowing Ipswich, that price is a fraction of his real value and a Lazio friendly.

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:44 - Jan 2 with 2350 viewsBluefish

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:41 - Jan 2 by homer_123

Knowing Ipswich, that price is a fraction of his real value and a Lazio friendly.

We turned it down for Didz and that was a good offer, we also turned down Murphy bids. Not that either worked out well but that is often the way in football. We got a good offer for Mings

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:45 - Jan 2 with 2351 viewshampstead_blue

It's always been the case and always will be.

Would be gutted to lose those two though. WOolfy looks different class.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:47 - Jan 2 with 2320 viewshomer_123

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:44 - Jan 2 by Bluefish

We turned it down for Didz and that was a good offer, we also turned down Murphy bids. Not that either worked out well but that is often the way in football. We got a good offer for Mings

I was being a tad facetious.

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:49 - Jan 2 with 2315 viewsKieran_Knows

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:45 - Jan 2 by hampstead_blue

It's always been the case and always will be.

Would be gutted to lose those two though. WOolfy looks different class.

You're right, Woolfenden is a different class, but I would like to see him stop trying dinking the ball down the channel - it never comes off. Noticed it over the last 4/5 games now - although, you could argue that's not really his fault given that our midfield all tend to run away when the centre backs have the ball.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:50 - Jan 2 with 2304 viewsArnieM

To be fair, Evans of recent times , ( as he’s learned the football market place), has tended to get very good deals for players sold. Whilst some would say that money hasn’t been Reinvested in the team, I would say some of it has , but not always in hard transfer fees for players, but more competitive wages for those players we have gone in for. Norwood reportedly on £10k+ as possibly the latest example? Of course some of the money received will have to go towards offsetting the tuning costs of the Club, any sound businessman would do that.

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:50 - Jan 2 with 2296 viewsKeaneish

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:18 - Jan 2 by itfcjoe

I think it's a fair enough point to make, but realistically the figures need to be astronomical to sign them in January as would be a dreadful move.

The summer will be the key with both of them, as both will be playing at a higher level next year - we just need to ensure it is with us!

How much is failure to go back up? 9 million? We'd need that plus their current value and projected value inclusive of all top ups Downes' international status and Wolfenden's pedigree would dictate.

As you state, completely astronomical and i wouldn't have thought we'd entertain anything in truth - the ramifications are too great.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:51 - Jan 2 with 2282 viewsBluefish

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:47 - Jan 2 by homer_123

I was being a tad facetious.

I know, apologies my reply started not serious and then expanded. Plenty on here think that sort of thing though

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:51 - Jan 2 with 2287 viewshomer_123

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:49 - Jan 2 by Kieran_Knows

You're right, Woolfenden is a different class, but I would like to see him stop trying dinking the ball down the channel - it never comes off. Noticed it over the last 4/5 games now - although, you could argue that's not really his fault given that our midfield all tend to run away when the centre backs have the ball.

If we are playing 3 at the back then you need at least 1 CB to be able to dribble out or make a half decent pass. Otherwise what is the point?

You could drop someone like Dozzell in to pick up the short ball but then what is the point of 3 CBs.

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:53 - Jan 2 with 2272 viewsKieran_Knows

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:51 - Jan 2 by homer_123

If we are playing 3 at the back then you need at least 1 CB to be able to dribble out or make a half decent pass. Otherwise what is the point?

You could drop someone like Dozzell in to pick up the short ball but then what is the point of 3 CBs.

Where did I say that? He just tends to knock aimless dinked balls down the channels which as I say, I've noticed over the last 4/5 games he's doing it more, yet it never comes off. Nothing would make me happier (and does when he actually does it) is him stepping out of defence with the ball at his feet and trying to start an attack of some sort.

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:54 - Jan 2 with 2263 viewsArnieM

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:38 - Jan 2 by homer_123

We also know, however, that Lambert's only option to refresh his squad is to offload players.

Now, do we think Nsiala is more saleable than Wolfy?

I’m sure if Lambert can offload the dregs in the squad before selling any of our talent, he will of course be looking to do that. I dont think for one minute that the Club “ actively” looks to sell the Crown Jewels as a first option. But an element of realism surely has to be in most fans minds now?

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:56 - Jan 2 with 2233 viewshomer_123

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:53 - Jan 2 by Kieran_Knows

Where did I say that? He just tends to knock aimless dinked balls down the channels which as I say, I've noticed over the last 4/5 games he's doing it more, yet it never comes off. Nothing would make me happier (and does when he actually does it) is him stepping out of defence with the ball at his feet and trying to start an attack of some sort.

My reply was in response to you observation "...you could argue that's not really his fault given that our midfield all tend to run away when the centre backs have the ball."

When playing with 3 CBs you don't want you CMs constantly dropping short to pick up from the back three. When playing a back three, you need your CBs to dribble out with the ball - otherwise there is little point in playing 3 CBs and having to have a midfielder come short as your CBs can't make a pass.

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:56 - Jan 2 with 2226 viewshomer_123

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:54 - Jan 2 by ArnieM

I’m sure if Lambert can offload the dregs in the squad before selling any of our talent, he will of course be looking to do that. I dont think for one minute that the Club “ actively” looks to sell the Crown Jewels as a first option. But an element of realism surely has to be in most fans minds now?

No doubt Arnie.

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:57 - Jan 2 with 2228 viewsMrTown

It would be an 'undisclosed fee' anyway. Regardless nothing would be re-invested so its irrelevent.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 14:00 - Jan 2 with 2210 viewsKieran_Knows

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:56 - Jan 2 by homer_123

My reply was in response to you observation "...you could argue that's not really his fault given that our midfield all tend to run away when the centre backs have the ball."

When playing with 3 CBs you don't want you CMs constantly dropping short to pick up from the back three. When playing a back three, you need your CBs to dribble out with the ball - otherwise there is little point in playing 3 CBs and having to have a midfielder come short as your CBs can't make a pass.

My apologies. Yes, I see your point. Could do with knowing what preferred formation Lambert likes really!

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 14:01 - Jan 2 with 2193 viewshaynes_toe1

O'Neill on selling Downes & Woolfenden on 13:50 - Jan 2 by Keaneish

How much is failure to go back up? 9 million? We'd need that plus their current value and projected value inclusive of all top ups Downes' international status and Wolfenden's pedigree would dictate.

As you state, completely astronomical and i wouldn't have thought we'd entertain anything in truth - the ramifications are too great.

Anything over £7m for Downes would be snapped up. I half think £5m would likely get him.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024