Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sign Tommy Smith 09:11 - Jan 2 with 2499 viewsitfcjoe

If we are going to play 3 at the back then we need to improve our CB options, yesterday they all struggled to an extent

Woolfenden having to play on the left as the only one comfortable on the ball really negates the quality he does have on it, so he isn't able to affect the game like he has been

Wilson just nowhere near good enough on the ball, Wycombe let Woolfie and Chambers keep it and as soon as it went to Wilson applied a bit of pressure as he went long with a straight ball when pressed

Chambers lacks the pace for the wide roles of a back 3 so has to play centrally, but really is more of a sweeper than a ball winner as lacks the height to really be the big man back there like Berra was when he was with us.

A note for their striker, Samuel, who really did a good job occupying our centre halves, looked lively and used the ball well.

I'd personally go 4 at the back, if we are to persist with 3 there needs to be an improvement on the ball

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Sign Tommy Smith on 09:16 - Jan 2 with 2187 viewsGarv

Is Smith really a sustainable solution to us playing a back three?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Sign Tommy Smith on 09:21 - Jan 2 with 2150 viewsHerbivore

Sign Tommy Smith on 09:16 - Jan 2 by Garv

I'm not sure to be honest. Being a left sider he gives us more balance if he plays there but he is slow and not especially good on the ball so not ideal for that system.

Like Joe, I'd rather we just go with a back 4 and preferably stick with it consistently. I wouldn't be dead against signing Smith on that basis either though as he would still give us more balance partnering Woolfy or Chambers. We could then offload Nsiala who I'm not sure has a future here.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Sign Tommy Smith on 09:21 - Jan 2 with 2157 viewsSomethingBlue

I do see the sense in playing three against teams like Wycombe — and we looked very comfortable for all of the game yesterday bar that early miss and the goal, plus it allows Garbutt to play the WB role that I suspect is his best one and facilitates three in midfield — but agree re personnel. We'd have to lose a player to get Smith in though, presumably. He'd be a clear upgrade on Nsiala but probably difficult to get the right loan move for Toto.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Sign Tommy Smith on 09:24 - Jan 2 with 2123 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sign Tommy Smith on 09:21 - Jan 2 by SomethingBlue

I do see the sense in playing three against teams like Wycombe — and we looked very comfortable for all of the game yesterday bar that early miss and the goal, plus it allows Garbutt to play the WB role that I suspect is his best one and facilitates three in midfield — but agree re personnel. We'd have to lose a player to get Smith in though, presumably. He'd be a clear upgrade on Nsiala but probably difficult to get the right loan move for Toto.

I thought the defence looked all over the place.

I'm all for Toto leaving, but surely there are other options out there rather than another clogger (I loved Smith for his time here and dedication, but he's hardly the answer to a CB line up that is already fairly slow and not too comfortable on the ball).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Sign Tommy Smith on 09:26 - Jan 2 with 2110 viewsRadlett_blue

Sign Tommy Smith on 09:21 - Jan 2 by SomethingBlue

Toto will be on high wages by the standards of this league & he looks a clumsy lower league stopper. The only options are to give him a pay-off & a free transfer or loan him out on about 50% of his wage. Might as well keep him as back-up.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Sign Tommy Smith on 09:29 - Jan 2 with 2087 viewsSomethingBlue

Sign Tommy Smith on 09:24 - Jan 2 by Swansea_Blue

I thought the defence looked all over the place.

I'm all for Toto leaving, but surely there are other options out there rather than another clogger (I loved Smith for his time here and dedication, but he's hardly the answer to a CB line up that is already fairly slow and not too comfortable on the ball).

The line was bad (as they kept pointing out on telly) but we were rarely under any real pressure and I never felt concerned until Akinfenwa came on, from when it was inevitable he'd unsettle us.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Sign Tommy Smith on 09:33 - Jan 2 with 2065 viewsr2d2

Sign Tommy Smith on 09:16 - Jan 2 by Garv

Tommy is a left footed centre half. Which we need. But if its a back 3 lm not sure thats a role he will excel at.
Sign Tommy Smith on 09:42 - Jan 2 with 2027 viewsChrisd

Tommy Smith won't improve us with the ball at his feet, but he'll certainly enhance us by offering a physical presence defensively and offensively. Each time we've come up against a big striker our centre backs have struggled, yesterday being another case in point. Thought their fella Stewart at CB looked decent, big and strong and had pace to sweep up any danger, something we sorely lack. Got to agree Joe, if we have any ambitions to get out of this league and then cement our place in the Championship our CB options need to be significantly improved and sentiment needs to go out the window.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Login to get fewer ads

Sign Tommy Smith on 09:42 - Jan 2 with 2028 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sign Tommy Smith on 09:29 - Jan 2 by SomethingBlue

The line was bad (as they kept pointing out on telly) but we were rarely under any real pressure and I never felt concerned until Akinfenwa came on, from when it was inevitable he'd unsettle us.

I'm not so sure; we got away with a few yesterday when the CBs were disorganised and nobody challenged. There wasn't a lot of threat due as much to Wycombe's shortcomings as much as our defense. You can't let balls come into the box unchallenged. And our 3 CBs weren't that much better when we had the ball. I wasn't particularly impressed.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Sign Tommy Smith on 09:45 - Jan 2 with 2009 viewsWD19

Sign Tommy Smith on 09:26 - Jan 2 by Radlett_blue

Toto will be on high wages by the standards of this league & he looks a clumsy lower league stopper. The only options are to give him a pay-off & a free transfer or loan him out on about 50% of his wage. Might as well keep him as back-up.

Its also not surprising, but he has the look of someone who would rather be anywhere else other than here. Looked a real loner in the warm-up.
Sign Tommy Smith on 09:47 - Jan 2 with 1989 viewsDyland

I'm not sure about all that re formations, but if Tommy's available and keen on the move we would be crazy not to try and make it happen. He would improve our back line options immeasurably.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Sign Tommy Smith on 09:49 - Jan 2 with 1971 viewsElderGrizzly

Smith is one of the most uncomfortable players on the ball I’ve seen recently for us at CB. His go to ball was always long, or normally into touch.

Agree we need better options, but there must be others out there in L1/L2 who can pass more than 5 yards?
Sign Tommy Smith on 09:54 - Jan 2 with 1927 viewschicoazul

We don't have the centre backs or wide players to play 3 at the back effectively and it cripples our best players who work really well in a midfield 3, so no doubt we will continue to do it for the rest of the season

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Sign Tommy Smith on 10:01 - Jan 2 with 1900 viewsthatdamgood89

While I agree with your points Joe, you know as well as I do, that unless one CB goes out even on loan then we won't be seeing a CB coming in.

I didn't like re signing Wilson at the time and I absoutley hate it now.

Hey :) Please check out my Ipswich Town F.C podcast 'Talk Of The Town' https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPhPy_79sSvPSugh32vN8qg?view_as=subscriber Available every Wednesday on; YouTube Spotify Buzzsrpout Google Podcasts Itune Podcasts

Sign Tommy Smith on 10:03 - Jan 2 with 1891 viewsPinewoodblue

Sign Tommy Smith on 09:54 - Jan 2 by chicoazul

We don't have the centre backs or wide players to play 3 at the back effectively and it cripples our best players who work really well in a midfield 3, so no doubt we will continue to do it for the rest of the season

Doesn’t a back three allow you to play three in central midfield?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Sign Tommy Smith on 10:22 - Jan 2 with 1831 viewshomer_123

We sold our ball playing centre back.

Tommy, as much as I love him, isn't the answer.

I've been saying this since the start of the season - you need at least two very good ball playing CBs (ideally all three) if you are going to play 3 at the back. Wollfy is that player - Chambers and Wilson are not up to it.

Nsiala and Donacian aren't either.

So, if we are going to play it - then we need the midfield to drop short and pick the ball up from the back three. But herein lies the problem - ideally, you need the CB to bring the ball out for a back three to be truly effective.

We are a long way from this.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Sign Tommy Smith on 10:36 - Jan 2 with 1776 viewschicoazul

Sign Tommy Smith on 10:03 - Jan 2 by Pinewoodblue

Doesn’t a back three allow you to play three in central midfield?

I've worded it badly, what I meant was we don;t have the personnel to play 3 at the back efectively *and* it works against us in our area of perceived advantage; our CM strength.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Sign Tommy Smith on 11:34 - Jan 2 with 1640 viewsitfcjoe

Just to respond to a few points on here....

Smith is decent on the ball, he struggled when playing on the right hand side of a 2 as is quite one footed but never really did on the left - at a higher level than this

He's played in a 3 loads for NZ and since joining Colorado

His mobility may be an issue but in league 1 can't see it being too much

If we intend on playing 3 CBs (which I'm not in favour of personally) then you can't do it with only 4 senior CBs on the books as an injury can see the whole shape changing

Sign Tommy Smith on 11:36 - Jan 2 with 1630 viewslinhdi

I thought Samuel was one of the best oppo players i have seen all season.
Added to that on 11:43 - Jan 2 with 1603 viewsDyland

Sign Tommy Smith on 11:34 - Jan 2 by itfcjoe

Just to respond to a few points on here....

Smith is decent on the ball, he struggled when playing on the right hand side of a 2 as is quite one footed but never really did on the left - at a higher level than this

He's played in a 3 loads for NZ and since joining Colorado

His mobility may be an issue but in league 1 can't see it being too much

If we intend on playing 3 CBs (which I'm not in favour of personally) then you can't do it with only 4 senior CBs on the books as an injury can see the whole shape changing

He provides a better option than we currently have in a back four.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Sign Tommy Smith on 11:49 - Jan 2 with 1576 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Sign Tommy Smith on 11:36 - Jan 2 by linhdi

I thought Samuel was one of the best oppo players i have seen all season.

Agreed. He reminded me of Mackail Smith - always hassling and very clever with it.
Sign Tommy Smith on 11:50 - Jan 2 with 1564 viewsMrTown

I think Cole Skuse plays very well in the centre of a back 3, reads the game ever so well and has the ability to be a ball player.

Skuse and Chambers as part of a backline would worry me for pace though.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Sign Tommy Smith on 11:55 - Jan 2 with 1553 viewsitfcjoe

Sign Tommy Smith on 11:49 - Jan 2 by PrideOfTheEast

Agreed. He reminded me of Mackail Smith - always hassling and very clever with it.

Yep, somebody had noted CMS wasn't playing but he was a carbon copy - kept 3 CBs occupied when we struggle to find a striker who can occupy 2

Sign Tommy Smith on 12:10 - Jan 2 with 1513 viewschicoazul

Sign Tommy Smith on 11:50 - Jan 2 by MrTown

I think Cole Skuse plays very well in the centre of a back 3, reads the game ever so well and has the ability to be a ball player.

Skuse and Chambers as part of a backline would worry me for pace though.

You can't play Skuse and Chambers as part of a 3 it would be absolute murder. And Skuse is a much better bet in the middle of a 3 as you allude to, so if we do go with 3 at the back Chambers needs to be dropped. Think a 3 of Woolf Skuse and Wilson could work personally but it would be lightweight.

Sign Tommy Smith on 12:19 - Jan 2 with 1473 viewsunstableblue

I’m not sure we need another centre back, we need better defensive shape and coaching.

Noticeable how often the Sky pundit referenced how poor our defensive line was. That’s a technical coaching issue, not a staff issue.

Interesting that I’d now say The Wolf is our first choice over Chambo. Both Wilson and Chambo have become our no nonsense clear it first type. When Chambo dithers we concede.

Nsiala shouldnt start.

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024