Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently 23:11 - Jan 1 with 3856 viewsElderGrizzly

For the country, it is sad this will never be allowed to happen by Momentum and the Unions

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/01/poll-of-labour-members-suggests

[Post edited 1 Jan 2020 23:12]
Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 23:16 - Jan 1 with 2439 viewsfooters

Christ, you're as bad as [REDACTED] with this anti-Labour nonsense.

How are your Lib Dems getting on, out of curiosity?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 23:20 - Jan 1 with 2423 viewsElderGrizzly

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 23:16 - Jan 1 by footers

This isn’t anti-Labour, it is pro-UK ;)

We are woefully incompetent right now. Thanks for asking :)
Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 23:25 - Jan 1 with 2404 viewsjeera

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 23:20 - Jan 1 by ElderGrizzly

This isn’t anti-Labour, it is pro-UK ;)

We are woefully incompetent right now. Thanks for asking :)

What's your issue with Starmer?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 23:29 - Jan 1 with 2403 viewsElderGrizzly

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 23:25 - Jan 1 by jeera

What's your issue with Starmer?

Nothing, he’d make a fantastic leader and hold Boris to account.

My issue is Labour will replace Corbyn with a non-bearded clone in Long-Bailey as Starmer is seen as too centrist
Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 23:42 - Jan 1 with 2359 viewsMelford

Not with this member, Jess Phillips is where my vote is going. I don't mind Keir Starmer though.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 23:48 - Jan 1 with 2341 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 23:16 - Jan 1 by footers

I would be happy for Starmer to win just to watch you know who wriggle out of voting for him.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 23:50 - Jan 1 with 2343 viewsGogs

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 23:29 - Jan 1 by ElderGrizzly

Nothing, he’d make a fantastic leader and hold Boris to account.

My issue is Labour will replace Corbyn with a non-bearded clone in Long-Bailey as Starmer is seen as too centrist

Starmer for me. The centre ground (to me largely to the left of centre) seems to be being ignored, yet it's where pretty much everyone I know has their true feelings. This country no more needs a far left agenda than it needs a far right agenda. And a far left government will never be voted in.
Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 23:57 - Jan 1 with 2328 viewslowhouseblue

starmer, phillips, nandy or copper for me.

whoever it is, it's a bloody long way back from where we are now.

if the loons force corbyn in a dress on us then the tories will be in till the 2030s.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Login to get fewer ads

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 05:37 - Jan 2 with 2166 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

WTF?

Few jars last night by any chance?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 05:50 - Jan 2 with 2163 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 23:42 - Jan 1 by Melford

Not with this member, Jess Phillips is where my vote is going. I don't mind Keir Starmer though.

Not a Labour member but I think Phillips would get my vote too. That said Chico made a very good point previously about the likely perception of a working class female leader with a Brummie accent, which makes me worry I’m guilty of the same kind of wishful thinking re her electability as Corbyn supporters were

I’d love to find out though, although ideally in a world where failure doesn’t mean another decade of Tory rule

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 07:08 - Jan 2 with 2071 viewsLord_Lucan

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 23:42 - Jan 1 by Melford

I like Jess, her and Boris would be fun.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 08:22 - Jan 2 with 1990 viewsbrogansnose

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 05:50 - Jan 2 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Not a Labour member but I think Phillips would get my vote too. That said Chico made a very good point previously about the likely perception of a working class female leader with a Brummie accent, which makes me worry I’m guilty of the same kind of wishful thinking re her electability as Corbyn supporters were

I’d love to find out though, although ideally in a world where failure doesn’t mean another decade of Tory rule

On the other hand, it could work out alright for JP as to continually go against a working class Northern woman would be a bit tricky for the media especially as BJ has positioned himself as the new champion of the working class. RLB will get grief all the way from the media as being Corbyn in a dress and I haven't seen enough of her to say that she'll go toe to toe with BJ in the same way that JP would. A ticket of RLB & AR would be a misogynistic media field day, it shouldn't be, but it would.

Anybody who gets the gig has got to call be calling the tories out and landing punches which I never felt Corbyn did enough of. The bloke had open goals and kept putting it well wide.
Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 08:33 - Jan 2 with 1968 viewsGuthrum

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 07:08 - Jan 2 by Lord_Lucan

I like Jess, her and Boris would be fun.

Phillips has mainly impressed people with her passion, but does she have control? The former loses its edge after a while.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 08:36 - Jan 2 with 1958 viewsElderGrizzly

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 23:57 - Jan 1 by lowhouseblue

starmer, phillips, nandy or copper for me.

whoever it is, it's a bloody long way back from where we are now.

if the loons force corbyn in a dress on us then the tories will be in till the 2030s.

For some, protest is much more satisfying and lucrative than leading though.

I fully expect McCluskey and Momentum to force through RLB
[Post edited 2 Jan 2020 8:36]
Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 08:41 - Jan 2 with 1936 viewsElephantintheRoom

I'm not so sure. Even John Macdonald has distanced himself from his hairdresser protegee. Given the scale of the defeat - and the sheer irrelevance of Labour to the real world at the moment you might find the party comes to its senses at some point.

Even the 'right-on' urge to appoint a shouty, inexperienced woman might be overcome if anyone in Labournoticed what happened to the Lib-Dems.

The main problem with Starmer is that he is not a pigeon fancier from up north.... the sort of nonense the idiots within Labour now think important if a bit of credibility is to be restored with the great unwashed.

His remoaning profile can only be good as the country begins to suffer still further from Brexit... and it is unlikely ANY leader will be able to turn things around within one parliament, no matter how awful and chaotic this one is going to be.... look at the pig's ear Corbyn made of an empty net and open goal in May's time 'in power'.

Labour's only hope is to appoint someone with stature and common sense. Alas, so poor are Labour at present,thanks to Corbyn's purges that this is effectively a shortlist of two... Starmer or oblivion.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 08:44 - Jan 2 with 1914 viewsElderGrizzly

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 08:41 - Jan 2 by ElephantintheRoom

I'm not so sure. Even John Macdonald has distanced himself from his hairdresser protegee. Given the scale of the defeat - and the sheer irrelevance of Labour to the real world at the moment you might find the party comes to its senses at some point.

Even the 'right-on' urge to appoint a shouty, inexperienced woman might be overcome if anyone in Labournoticed what happened to the Lib-Dems.

The main problem with Starmer is that he is not a pigeon fancier from up north.... the sort of nonense the idiots within Labour now think important if a bit of credibility is to be restored with the great unwashed.

His remoaning profile can only be good as the country begins to suffer still further from Brexit... and it is unlikely ANY leader will be able to turn things around within one parliament, no matter how awful and chaotic this one is going to be.... look at the pig's ear Corbyn made of an empty net and open goal in May's time 'in power'.

Labour's only hope is to appoint someone with stature and common sense. Alas, so poor are Labour at present,thanks to Corbyn's purges that this is effectively a shortlist of two... Starmer or oblivion.

If the shortlist is Starmer and everyone else on there is a woman, there will be a huge pressure to appoint a woman this time round too.

Labour’s Shadow Transport Secretary on Sky just now are clearly still in denial. Claiming the election was ‘a blip’ and a ‘different kind of election’ and the party is not in crisis.
Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 09:04 - Jan 2 with 1868 viewsElephantintheRoom

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 08:44 - Jan 2 by ElderGrizzly

If the shortlist is Starmer and everyone else on there is a woman, there will be a huge pressure to appoint a woman this time round too.

Labour’s Shadow Transport Secretary on Sky just now are clearly still in denial. Claiming the election was ‘a blip’ and a ‘different kind of election’ and the party is not in crisis.

'Don't panic!!'

Yes indeed but you have to remember these are spineless sycophants who toe the party line. The membership does exist outside of its Islington bubble and most of the current gaggle of would-be leaders are held in utter contempt by the 'traditional' labour voter.

I'm not saying common sense and practicality WILL win through.... merely that it has to. I'd go further... the only way Labour can compete in the future (a future that will certainly be without Scotland and probably also Northern Ireleand) is to be able to form alliances with other parites.

This is the very open goal so criminally thrown away in the last parliament with devestating consequences for the country.... if you look at all the likely leaders only one of them has even the remotest chance of making a success of it in the next 10 years.

In my humble opinion.

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 09:05 - Jan 2 with 1862 viewsLord_Lucan

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 08:36 - Jan 2 by ElderGrizzly

For some, protest is much more satisfying and lucrative than leading though.

I fully expect McCluskey and Momentum to force through RLB
[Post edited 2 Jan 2020 8:36]

In which case they should be renamed the Lemming Party

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 09:06 - Jan 2 with 1860 viewsGuthrum

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 08:41 - Jan 2 by ElephantintheRoom

One problem Labour has currently is that they are constantly trying to re-capture voters they've lost (or who don't exist any more), e.g. Scots, northern industrial workers. What made Blair so successful was that he went after entirely new cohorts (e.g. the comfortably-off homeowner), without alienating too many of the old Labour fanbase.

Addirionally, even if they do manage to get all of the "northern working class" back on board, that still isn't going to win them an election.

But the problem with revolutionaries is that when they fail, the explanation given is they haven't been revolutionary enough.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 09:19 - Jan 2 with 1808 viewsElephantintheRoom

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 09:06 - Jan 2 by Guthrum

One problem Labour has currently is that they are constantly trying to re-capture voters they've lost (or who don't exist any more), e.g. Scots, northern industrial workers. What made Blair so successful was that he went after entirely new cohorts (e.g. the comfortably-off homeowner), without alienating too many of the old Labour fanbase.

Addirionally, even if they do manage to get all of the "northern working class" back on board, that still isn't going to win them an election.

But the problem with revolutionaries is that when they fail, the explanation given is they haven't been revolutionary enough.

Agreed.

One of the truly bizarre facets of Labour's implosion is that Blair is seen as the antichrist rather than a plausible leader with the cross party appeal that made Labour electable for the only time in four decades..

That is a lesson that could be usefully be learned.

What I would say is that we live in changing times. Brexit has dominated people's thinking (or rather deeply ingrained bigotry). Hollow promises of a vibrant Britain unleashing its potential are a bit tricky to front up when the entire country suffers a self-inflicted recession and finds itself unable to do trade deals with Europe or the USA for various reasons.

All it requires is patience and common sense - and leadership... not traits Labour have shown recently admittedly.... BUT perhaps now could be a new beginning.

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 09:43 - Jan 2 with 1772 viewsWD19

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 09:06 - Jan 2 by Guthrum

They need to get away from the mindset that if enough people (consistently) don't vote for them it is because the majority are just wrong.....

You can almost see them chucking another election under RLB and then claiming it is the electorates fault for being some combination of stupid, racist, wrong and sexist.

To my mind you can't be serious about caring about 'the many' if you are not serious about winning power (and making your policies possible) in the first place.
Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 09:49 - Jan 2 with 1749 viewsr2d2

Jess Phillips just has a big gob. All mouth and trousers. Keir Starmer is a wally too!
Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 09:49 - Jan 2 with 1749 viewsStokieBlue

This must be a mistake.

Over the last few years we have heard time and again how the membership were behind the project and more recently behind a manifesto of which Starmer has been very critical.

Seems hard to square those two things unless the forum is not entirely representative of the membership.....

Starmer would be an excellent choice to oppose the Tories and hold them to account.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 10:05 - Jan 2 with 1703 viewsDarth_Koont

What a load of nonsense.

But picking up the first point, where do you get idea that Labour's manifesto was irrelevant to the real world? I think the UK needs dragging into the real world - - or at least showing the way -where addressing the needs of citizens and the environment have never been more important and overdue.

In line with being a modern European country, there needs to be a genuine social democratic alternative to the increasing inequality and divisions between rich and poor, north and south and young and old.

It doesn't matter that our media largely don't agree or care about that.

Pronouns: He/Him

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 10:09 - Jan 2 with 1694 viewschicoazul

Starmer is the members choice for Labour Leader apparently on 10:05 - Jan 2 by Darth_Koont

What a load of nonsense.

But picking up the first point, where do you get idea that Labour's manifesto was irrelevant to the real world? I think the UK needs dragging into the real world - - or at least showing the way -where addressing the needs of citizens and the environment have never been more important and overdue.

In line with being a modern European country, there needs to be a genuine social democratic alternative to the increasing inequality and divisions between rich and poor, north and south and young and old.

It doesn't matter that our media largely don't agree or care about that.

What about if the voters largely don't agree or care about that?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024