Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The RB curse 08:23 - Dec 31 with 1393 viewsKeaneish

No such thing as a curse? This season may buck that belief, surely? The worst ever full back display I saw was Tom Eastman under Keane but there have been a few. However, looking back at RB performances this season we may be on for a new season low of woeful RB displays.

I make it 8 players utilized at RB this season: Emmanuel, Nydam, Cotter, Donacien, Edwards, Skuse, Wolfenden and KVY and KVY aside, they’ve all been pretty poor performances.

Emmanuel at Luton - terrible
Cotter against Coventry - out of his depth
Skuse against Rovers - did OK but never looked comfortable and at fault for a goal
Wolfenden at Lincoln - decent showing at Southend but poor at Lincoln and at fault for a goal
Edwards on a few occasions - dreadful and a liability
Donacien against Wimbledon - terrible although has improved
Nydam - injured
KVY - injured

KVY is the only player with any real credit and he’s out for the foreseeable. Why has this position consistently been an issue for Town for a decade?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

The RB curse on 08:26 - Dec 31 with 1164 viewsChrisd

Wasn't Nydam being used as a LB before his injury?

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

The RB curse on 08:28 - Dec 31 with 1151 viewsSteve_M

Well, yes if you take the worst performances of each individual player and add them up then it looks awful.

Or you could try some proper rational analysis if it's not too difficult. For example Donacien, whilst a fairly limited player, has been one of our better performers over the last few weeks or that Vincent-Young's best games were at wing back and he isn't entirely convincing defensively in a back four.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2019 8:39]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The RB curse on 08:29 - Dec 31 with 1140 viewssparks

Bizarre post.

A "Curse" indeed...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

The RB curse on 08:37 - Dec 31 with 1118 viewsKeaneish

The RB curse on 08:28 - Dec 31 by Steve_M

Well, yes if you take the worst performances of each individual player and add them up then it looks awful.

Or you could try some proper rational analysis if it's not too difficult. For example Donacien, whilst a fairly limited player, has been one of our better performers over the last few weeks or that Vincent-Young's best games were at wing back and he isn't entirely convincing defensively in a back four.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2019 8:39]

The point being that despite utilizing 7 players (correct Chris, Nydam played at LB) we’re woefully short on players who can fill that role and step up to the plate with any level of consistency. Donacien is the only exception but he’s way short of the standard required. He can defend but he offers little going forward.

Town have long referred to the RB slot as a “curse” being we’ve never had anyone really own that spot as a natural RB with any conviction. It continues...
[Post edited 31 Dec 2019 8:40]

The RB curse on 08:39 - Dec 31 with 1106 viewsTractorWood

Donacien has been ok recently.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

The RB curse on 08:39 - Dec 31 with 1105 viewsjeera

The RB curse on 08:29 - Dec 31 by sparks

Bizarre post.

A "Curse" indeed...

There needs to be the burning of an effigy of a right-back.

Maybe just chuck some water over it.

This will signal a new beginning and the gods will sign someone more suitable for the role on our behalf.

It's unbelievable no one has already come up with this.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The RB curse on 08:42 - Dec 31 with 1093 viewsKeaneish

The RB curse on 08:39 - Dec 31 by jeera

There needs to be the burning of an effigy of a right-back.

Maybe just chuck some water over it.

This will signal a new beginning and the gods will sign someone more suitable for the role on our behalf.

It's unbelievable no one has already come up with this.

Who’s making the effigy? I see them at rallies on TV but have never seen an effigy shop.

The RB curse on 08:43 - Dec 31 with 1088 viewsKeaneish

The RB curse on 08:39 - Dec 31 by TractorWood

OK is as good as he will be all season, sadly. I have confidence in his defending unlike Edwards but with the ball at his feet and a moment of time, I get the fear.

Login to get fewer ads

The RB curse on 08:59 - Dec 31 with 1050 viewsTractorWood

The RB curse on 08:43 - Dec 31 by Keaneish

OK is as good as he will be all season, sadly. I have confidence in his defending unlike Edwards but with the ball at his feet and a moment of time, I get the fear.

Edwards look lost on Sunday. No confidence in the side at all. Also no real big physical presences. Downes and Dozzell looked very slight compared to Lincoln's midfield. Bar maybe Jackson who is committed and hardworking.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

The RB curse on 09:02 - Dec 31 with 1039 viewsKeaneish

The RB curse on 08:59 - Dec 31 by TractorWood

Edwards look lost on Sunday. No confidence in the side at all. Also no real big physical presences. Downes and Dozzell looked very slight compared to Lincoln's midfield. Bar maybe Jackson who is committed and hardworking.

I think that’s been an issue from day one and was flagged by many at the start of the season. This league is a bit rough and tumble / kick and run and most sides have towering defenders or big men up front. Agree we look slight in comparison and Downes and maybe Jackson aside, I don’t see anyone with real tenacity in our squad.

The RB curse on 09:06 - Dec 31 with 1031 viewsHerbivore

The RB curse on 08:43 - Dec 31 by Keaneish

He's a better crosser of the ball than most of the players we've played on the wing. He's put in some decent deliveries. He's no Cafu but I think his limitations are rather wildly overstated at times. He's a decent enough right back and has been one of our better performers over the past couple of months.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The RB curse on 09:09 - Dec 31 with 1022 viewsDubtractor

The RB curse on 08:39 - Dec 31 by TractorWood

The issue with Donacien is that whilst he is fine defensively, he is next to useless from an attacking perspective.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

The RB curse on 09:12 - Dec 31 with 1003 viewsHerbivore

The RB curse on 09:09 - Dec 31 by Dubtractor

The issue with Donacien is that whilst he is fine defensively, he is next to useless from an attacking perspective.

I'm not sure that's fair. We managed one decent cross in the entire first half at Lincoln and it came from Donacien. His delivery is pretty decent. He's not going to go on KVY style runs but he does get forward and he can deliver a cross.

The RB curse on 09:15 - Dec 31 with 999 viewsDubtractor

The RB curse on 09:12 - Dec 31 by Herbivore

I'm not sure that's fair. We managed one decent cross in the entire first half at Lincoln and it came from Donacien. His delivery is pretty decent. He's not going to go on KVY style runs but he does get forward and he can deliver a cross.

I was thinking that as I typed it. To clarify - he can cross a ball, but if you're looking for your fullback to get involved in quick passing football then he simply cannot do it. This is precisely what KVY did bring to us and it made a big difference to our attacking play.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

The RB curse on 09:21 - Dec 31 with 976 viewsHerbivore

The RB curse on 09:15 - Dec 31 by Dubtractor

I was thinking that as I typed it. To clarify - he can cross a ball, but if you're looking for your fullback to get involved in quick passing football then he simply cannot do it. This is precisely what KVY did bring to us and it made a big difference to our attacking play.

But then I'm not sure Garbutt really offers that on the other flank either. In fact nothing about our play is geared towards quick passing football.

The RB curse on 10:39 - Dec 31 with 924 viewsKeaneish

The RB curse on 09:12 - Dec 31 by Herbivore

Agree that the ball he put into the box was decent but the trouble with him is, if he puts two or three terrible ones in he’ll retreat into himself. It looks like he’s working on the attacking side of his game to be fair but he’s not the answer no matter how much he improves, which is a shame. I’d love him to make that position his own and KVY move into a right-midfield spot but can’t see it happening, he’s just not a natural - compare him to Dabo at Coventry for example.

The RB curse on 10:43 - Dec 31 with 915 viewssparks

The RB curse on 10:39 - Dec 31 by Keaneish

Agree that the ball he put into the box was decent but the trouble with him is, if he puts two or three terrible ones in he’ll retreat into himself. It looks like he’s working on the attacking side of his game to be fair but he’s not the answer no matter how much he improves, which is a shame. I’d love him to make that position his own and KVY move into a right-midfield spot but can’t see it happening, he’s just not a natural - compare him to Dabo at Coventry for example.

Hes not a wing back- but a competent right back. At this level. Which, surely, is what is needed pending return of our better option.

Shouldnt really even be a debate at this point.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

The RB curse on 10:46 - Dec 31 with 907 viewsHerbivore

The RB curse on 10:43 - Dec 31 by sparks

Hes not a wing back- but a competent right back. At this level. Which, surely, is what is needed pending return of our better option.

Yeah, I completely agree with this. KVY looks a player who could go on to play at a higher level on what we've seen so far, but Donacien is a perfectly capable understudy at this level and hasn't let us down when called upon.

The RB curse on 10:49 - Dec 31 with 905 viewsBLUEBEAT

Would upset Colchester massively, but their current RB, Jackson, looked pretty good when I watched them against Carlisle recently.

Also, their LB was impressive too...

Poll: W or W

The RB curse on 11:04 - Dec 31 with 889 viewsGuthrum

Because good Full Backs are hard to come by. We've rather been extremely fortunate to have found two good ones in succession on the left (Cresswell and Mings) - both soon snapped up by Prem sides.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The RB curse on 11:05 - Dec 31 with 885 viewsChrisd

The RB curse on 09:21 - Dec 31 by Herbivore

But then I'm not sure Garbutt really offers that on the other flank either. In fact nothing about our play is geared towards quick passing football.

Garbutt does have quality in his left foot and I'd much prefer him playing wide left of our midfield instead of LB. He's more of an asset and an attacking threat for us playing him higher up the pitch. In terms of our passing, that's been a problem stemming from last season under PL. We're so slow in moving the ball and invariably keep passing the ball sideways or backwards which then allows the opposition to get back in their defensive position and our attacking intent is then lost. It's no wonder we struggle to break teams down especially at home.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2019 11:33]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

The RB curse on 11:20 - Dec 31 with 860 viewsSwansea_Blue

You could apply the same approach to pretty much every position.

It’d be a lot easier to list the few players over the last decade who have been a success.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The RB curse on 11:40 - Dec 31 with 841 viewsHerbivore

The RB curse on 11:20 - Dec 31 by Swansea_Blue

You could apply the same approach to pretty much every position.

It’d be a lot easier to list the few players over the last decade who have been a success.

Pretty much all of them played under MM.

The RB curse on 11:41 - Dec 31 with 842 viewsKeaneish

The RB curse on 10:43 - Dec 31 by sparks

RB is a debate as Donacien might be out tomorrow in a must win game. No doubt Donacien starts but if he’s unfit and it looks like he will be, who steps in? Has to be Wolfenden or a change of shape.

The RB curse on 11:45 - Dec 31 with 835 viewsHerbivore

The RB curse on 11:41 - Dec 31 by Keaneish

RB is a debate as Donacien might be out tomorrow in a must win game. No doubt Donacien starts but if he’s unfit and it looks like he will be, who steps in? Has to be Wolfenden or a change of shape.

I'd be okay with Woolfenden there, he's decent enough on the ball and was involved in our third goal. I don't want to see us going to a back three, it hasn't worked for us as we have nobody comfortable to play on the left of it. You really need the wide CBs to be players who could comfortably play full back for the system to work well imo. When Mick used it we usually had Spence or Knudsen or both at CB.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024