Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our goal - Prem quality 10:57 - Dec 16 with 1838 viewsrfretwell

What a brilliant move that was - fab lifted ball by Downes over a Rovers player to Garbutt hugging the touchline. Garbutt deft dink with the outside of his left boot into Jackson's path. Jacksons fine left footed cross under pressure, Norwood racing in between two defenders to power home. Punters who say Lambert isn't improving the players need to take a good hard look. Now we need to see a lot more of that kind of quality.
Our goal - Prem quality on 10:58 - Dec 16 with 1820 viewsBlueBadger

I suspect we'd probably be more inclined think he was improving the players if they were actually able to beat Bristol rovers at home, for example.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Our goal - Prem quality on 11:02 - Dec 16 with 1793 viewsrfretwell

Our goal - Prem quality on 10:58 - Dec 16 by BlueBadger

I suspect we'd probably be more inclined think he was improving the players if they were actually able to beat Bristol rovers at home, for example.

We had several good chances to score and one may have been enough if Chambo and Donacian had played.
Our goal - Prem quality on 11:04 - Dec 16 with 1776 viewsSamWhiteUK

I think it's getting to that time of year where you go on the div list
Our goal - Prem quality on 11:14 - Dec 16 with 1743 viewswitchdoctor

you haven’t been impressed with the team in the games you have attended this season then I take it
Our goal - Prem quality on 11:16 - Dec 16 with 1735 viewsBlueBadger

Our goal - Prem quality on 11:14 - Dec 16 by witchdoctor

you haven’t been impressed with the team in the games you have attended this season then I take it

I thought we looked comfortable and professional vs Tranmere, indifferent against Doncaster and bang average against Rotherham. Rather telling that we;'ve progressively stagnated as the season's worn on as the manager makes more and more changes.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2019 11:21]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Our goal - Prem quality on 11:18 - Dec 16 with 1727 viewsLankHenners

On what planet is that evidence Lambert is improving the players?

If anything it more shows that the players have the quality but aren't being played in a way to use it properly. Which is sort of the problem this season in a nutshell.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Our goal - Prem quality on 11:19 - Dec 16 with 1716 viewslongtimefan

It was a very nice goal but I think your reaction to it is very typical to that of a lot of Town supporters in that you see one move as indicator that we play great football. Unfortunately it’s a very rare occurrence that we string together a sequence of passes like that. I hear so many saying we played so well at Coventry in the first half, and we did to an extent, but really most of the good play was condensed into probably 3 moves where we really should have scored (not including the goal as that was basically a corner). The reality is that most of the season we have struggled to put together more than 15 minutes of consistent good football a half where we have stretched a defence. We have improved our possession stats but so much of that is in our own half and we generally don’t make it count with any incisive passes. We really don’t create enough and I think it’s quite telling how little we really get the ball in to the opponents penalty area. Yes we are doing well from a league table position point of view, which I’m glad about, but we really need to up our game and get some consistency before we hopefully get promoted.
Our goal - Prem quality on 11:22 - Dec 16 with 1687 viewsChrisd

It was without doubt a terrific goal, but we consistently don't see enough of it from our players.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Login to get fewer ads

Surely the fact that goals like that...... on 11:25 - Dec 16 with 1665 viewsBloots

....are so infrequent now that they merit such comment is testament to the fact that PRP's coaching is in fact making them rarer?

What about the fact that around 75% of our corners/free kicks/crosses do not beat the first man?

Is that down to his coaching too?

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Our goal - Prem quality on 11:28 - Dec 16 with 1650 viewsHerbivore

This is straw clutching at its finest.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Our goal - Prem quality on 11:28 - Dec 16 with 1647 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

time to play garbutt as LM and Kenlock at LB

The rest aren't providing the ammo.

Saturday was so poor with Skuse being so static at RB - that can't happen again.

There wasn't any balance.
Our goal - Prem quality on 11:34 - Dec 16 with 1622 viewsDarth_Koont

Our goal - Prem quality on 11:18 - Dec 16 by LankHenners

On what planet is that evidence Lambert is improving the players?

If anything it more shows that the players have the quality but aren't being played in a way to use it properly. Which is sort of the problem this season in a nutshell.

Indeed. If anything it shows that we need central midfielders to have the licence and opportunity to play creatively, Garbutt further up the pitch where his ball-playing technique is more useful to us than his decent but average defensive skills, Jackson to play as a wide attacker and more players getting into the box to meet early balls.

It also shows why we're better away from home where attacks generally mean we have to get forward more quickly and move the ball with purpose. Too often, particularly at home, we're laboured in possession and resort to overloading a fullback to create space for a lobbed cross as a best-case scenario.

None of which means we need to be filled with doom and gloom. A great start to the campaign means we're still in a good position. But if we don't start making more of the team and deserving results then we'll be back in the play-off race before long where our chances of promotion start to look a lot more iffy.

Pronouns: He/Him

Our goal - Prem quality on 12:18 - Dec 16 with 1565 viewsBlueBadger

Our goal - Prem quality on 11:28 - Dec 16 by Herbivore

This is straw clutching at its finest.

There's definitely more than a hint of 'improved performance' about the OP's tone.

Our goal - Prem quality on 12:56 - Dec 16 with 1498 viewshaynes_toe1

Having actually seen the goal now, it's decent build up but it's nothing near Premier League quality not least because the opposition would be a million times better.

Depressingly, if you want to see what a premier league goal looks like go down the A140. They're not even a good Premier League team but they are absolutely light-years away from our squad. They're also (irritatingly) a real example of a coach / manager improving players.
Our goal - Prem quality on 13:29 - Dec 16 with 1439 viewsSwansea_Blue

It was excellent. The other end was the problem - the second especially a real shocker and probably wouldn't have happened with a proper defender at right back (not that he was exactly spoilt for options on Sat).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Our goal - Prem quality on 13:31 - Dec 16 with 1429 viewsRRB

We always have one moment of magic like this a game. I remember a week before against Coventry in the league we had a chance after superbly playing the ball out from the back.
Our goal - Prem quality on 13:52 - Dec 16 with 1391 viewsHullblue

Our goal - Prem quality on 13:29 - Dec 16 by Swansea_Blue

It was excellent. The other end was the problem - the second especially a real shocker and probably wouldn't have happened with a proper defender at right back (not that he was exactly spoilt for options on Sat).

You’re the second person I’ve seen blame Skuse for this goal, but for me it was Woolfie’s responsibility. Skuse is pulled out of position by the initial cross from his side, then when the ball comes back in Woolf has no idea where his man is.

Ideally Skuse would have been there too but he would have had to recover pretty rapidly. It was similar to the goal at Accrington which I also think the Woolf could have done better with. Although Edwards takes his share of the blame for that one too.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Our goal - Prem quality on 14:42 - Dec 16 with 1339 viewsSwansea_Blue

Our goal - Prem quality on 13:52 - Dec 16 by Hullblue

You’re the second person I’ve seen blame Skuse for this goal, but for me it was Woolfie’s responsibility. Skuse is pulled out of position by the initial cross from his side, then when the ball comes back in Woolf has no idea where his man is.

Ideally Skuse would have been there too but he would have had to recover pretty rapidly. It was similar to the goal at Accrington which I also think the Woolf could have done better with. Although Edwards takes his share of the blame for that one too.

Yes, that could be right. With Skuse coming into the frame so late, it suggests he was employed elsewhere. I haven't seen the buildup. Maybe that was harsh - I wasn't wanting to blame Skuse especially, I just wonder had there been a natural defender there would we have been better organised? There was definitely a lack of communication somewhere to leave a man free like that on the edge of the 6 yard box.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2019 14:49]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Our goal - Prem quality on 15:02 - Dec 16 with 1312 viewslongtimefan

Our goal - Prem quality on 13:52 - Dec 16 by Hullblue

I agree with you. Skuse was quite a way up the field trying to stop the initial cross and didn’t have enough time to get back. I’d definitely put Woolfenden down as the main culprit as he even has a look behind him at the unmarked player before ignoring him completely. He should have. communicated with Wilson so that he dropped off to mark the player between them so that he could deal with the scorer himself. Personally I don’t think he’s half the player without Chambers by his side, his positioning and awareness seems far more suspect. He was caught out by players running off him for both the league game at Coventry and home cup game.
Our goal - Prem quality on 17:12 - Dec 16 with 1201 viewsHullblue

Our goal - Prem quality on 15:02 - Dec 16 by longtimefan

I agree with you. Skuse was quite a way up the field trying to stop the initial cross and didn’t have enough time to get back. I’d definitely put Woolfenden down as the main culprit as he even has a look behind him at the unmarked player before ignoring him completely. He should have. communicated with Wilson so that he dropped off to mark the player between them so that he could deal with the scorer himself. Personally I don’t think he’s half the player without Chambers by his side, his positioning and awareness seems far more suspect. He was caught out by players running off him for both the league game at Coventry and home cup game.

Agree with your point about Woolf being better with Chambers, and Swansea Blue’s point above about having a natural right back next to him. It’s a lot to ask of the kid playing in a patched up back four and I do think it shows at times.

Hopefully Chambers and Donacien will be back soon. Would like us to sign Tommy Smith too.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024