Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 'young' vote 10:29 - Dec 12 with 4369 viewsFixed_It

Our school (secondary) held our election yesterday, based on the local candidates from our constituency (a Tory marginal seat btw). Without any influence from 'leftie' teachers (!), the results were as follows:

Labour 50%
Conservative 28%
Greens 17%
Lib Dems 5%

If only the country as a whole voted like this; the youngsters whose future depends on us getting it right!

Just thought it might be of some interest

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

The 'young' vote on 10:32 - Dec 12 with 2308 viewsbaxterbasics

Well that's what comes of having no real world experience, having nothing to lose, and not appreciating what sacrifices have been made for the comfortable lives they all live today. Also being constantly told how bad their future is going to be rather than being encouraged to aspire.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

The 'young' vote on 10:33 - Dec 12 with 2287 viewsFixed_It

The 'young' vote on 10:32 - Dec 12 by baxterbasics

Well that's what comes of having no real world experience, having nothing to lose, and not appreciating what sacrifices have been made for the comfortable lives they all live today. Also being constantly told how bad their future is going to be rather than being encouraged to aspire.

Tell me more about these 'comfortable lives' they lead. I don't actually see it on a daily basis.

Ready! Steady! Cook!

The 'young' vote on 10:34 - Dec 12 with 2273 viewsBackToRussia

Nothing to lose except their lives you mean? Actually you're probably a climate change denier aren't you.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

The 'young' vote on 10:43 - Dec 12 with 2236 viewsFixed_It

The 'young' vote on 10:33 - Dec 12 by Fixed_It

Tell me more about these 'comfortable lives' they lead. I don't actually see it on a daily basis.

No response?

Will it be the numbers who rely on food banks? The numbers with Social Services intervention due to difficult home lives? Will it be the numbers who receive support (eventually) from CAMHS? The self-harmers? The ones on waiting lists for counselling? The ones who can't access support because services have been cut?

And despite all that, they are taught to be aspirational. It's what schools do. Despite their lack of funding.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2019 10:44]

Ready! Steady! Cook!

The 'young' vote on 10:50 - Dec 12 with 2208 viewsbaxterbasics

The 'young' vote on 10:33 - Dec 12 by Fixed_It

Take a step back and compare standards of living today compared with 30, 50+ years ago.

Despite the odd minor wobble, we have never been so secure, stable, prosperous and healthy, and this gets taken for granted.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

The 'young' vote on 10:52 - Dec 12 with 2199 viewsBackToRussia

The 'young' vote on 10:50 - Dec 12 by baxterbasics

Take a step back and compare standards of living today compared with 30, 50+ years ago.

Despite the odd minor wobble, we have never been so secure, stable, prosperous and healthy, and this gets taken for granted.

Have you missed the bits on the news where they talk about the climate irrevocably changing and the world becoming uninhabitable for vast swathes of the world?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

The 'young' vote on 10:54 - Dec 12 with 2185 viewsgiant_stow

Nothing to lose?!!!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

The 'young' vote on 10:56 - Dec 12 with 2170 viewsDanTheMan

Things have pretty much always improved with time.

People are allowed to want things to be better still, or to fight injustices or wrongs in a system even if things were better X years ago.

EDIT: Also I'm just going to ignore the whole climate change thing that the older generations have done a really great job of not just ignoring but actively trying to suppress. Even people on here over the years have moved from attacking it directly to "it's not so bad" to "maybe it's bad but oh well can't do anything now".
[Post edited 12 Dec 2019 10:58]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

The 'young' vote on 10:57 - Dec 12 with 2156 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Bahahahahahahahaha!!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

The 'young' vote on 11:10 - Dec 12 with 2118 viewsHalf_Idiot

Try telling the 1-in-3 children living in poverty that they've got it easy. I'm sure all those kids whose families rely on food banks to eat are grateful of the situation they're in.
The 'young' vote on 11:16 - Dec 12 with 2076 viewsBlueNomad

You come to my school, situated in the constituency of the Tory Chairman, and see us feed kids because they wouldn't be otherwise, give them uniform, see staff regularly dipping into their own pockets for them and then when we have to take them to A&E because their parents are working and can't leave their zero-hours contract jobs. Then see if your arrogant, I'm alright Jack attitude can overcome the little bit of empathy that must exist somewhere in your soul.

(Add in all the things Fixed It said too)
[Post edited 12 Dec 2019 11:20]
The 'young' vote on 11:21 - Dec 12 with 2053 viewsSarge

Amazing how these people with ‘real world experience’ can be so blind as to what’s happening in it.
The 'young' vote on 11:27 - Dec 12 with 2037 viewsFixed_It

I have been a teacher for over 30 years. I don't need to take a step back. The problems our kids face today are multiple compared to when I started teaching. Sad - but true.

Ready! Steady! Cook!

The 'young' vote on 11:38 - Dec 12 with 1981 viewsBlueNomad

The 'young' vote on 11:27 - Dec 12 by Fixed_It

I have been a teacher for over 30 years. I don't need to take a step back. The problems our kids face today are multiple compared to when I started teaching. Sad - but true.

I have 42 years service in the public sector (inc teaching). It is worse now than it ever has been. Six years ago a referral to CAMHS (now EWMHS) would take 4-6 weeks to process, now it is more like 8-9 MONTHS. Social Care services are completely overwhelmed. The police are overwhelmed. Teachers are overwhelmed. The hospitals are overwhelmed (and exacerbated since the Referendum by staff returning to their European homelands). People sleeping in doorways in BSE when they never did before....................

So I could go on. Still, people like the OP think this country is better than it ever has been and if we had the life experience he/she has had we would appreciate everything the government has done for us in the past nine years.

(Sorry but this smug attitude has really boiled my blood today)
[Post edited 12 Dec 2019 11:38]
The 'young' vote on 11:51 - Dec 12 with 1947 viewsClareBlue

You are correct - it is of interest

I'm surprised the Greens are so low along with the Lib Dems.
I have seen the disconect between the real concerns about 'Green' issues and 'Green' representation and the Lib dems are selling a remain stance which is always associated with young people but not reflected here.

As adults we really can not really understand the younger generation. We think we can and pay token respect to their views and patronise them as having a simplistic view on life, when sometimes things really are simple. But, of course, the young have no experience of vested interests and cynicism and until they do, they see things clearer than adults. Then it all changes and they becaome 'grown up'.
Of course, my parents never understood me, but now I think they really did understand me as I find myself saying the same things to my children that my Father said to me. Where does the change happen that we become mean spirited, confrontational, and unempathetic with our fellow humans?
The 'young' vote on 11:55 - Dec 12 with 1938 viewsbrazil1982

I wouldn't bother today, bb - it's a Labour love-in until tomorrow.

I'm on on the football only thread filter from now.
The 'young' vote on 11:59 - Dec 12 with 1928 viewsHennikerBlu

The figures show 78% voting for the established parties, because it is Labour in the majority 'some' of you have extrapolated that into it shows that they are being more politically astute than the adult electorate.

What I would have hoped to see is a more radical departure, a stronger performance for the Greens, though at 17% it is better than reality. However, it is the young with groups like Extinction Rebellion which will influence and hopefully change the future; as Greta Thornberg made the point yesterday, governments are finding work arounds on targets and with the increased melting in Greenland we have very serious Climate Change issues that can no longer wait.

I think Climate Change should be front and centre of the education agenda. This is not about protesting, this is about finding real solutions to future problems, many of which can be business driven and provide jobs. This I believe is far beyond party politics.

Thanks for sharing.
The 'young' vote on 12:03 - Dec 12 with 1908 viewsHennikerBlu

The 'young' vote on 11:16 - Dec 12 by BlueNomad

You come to my school, situated in the constituency of the Tory Chairman, and see us feed kids because they wouldn't be otherwise, give them uniform, see staff regularly dipping into their own pockets for them and then when we have to take them to A&E because their parents are working and can't leave their zero-hours contract jobs. Then see if your arrogant, I'm alright Jack attitude can overcome the little bit of empathy that must exist somewhere in your soul.

You make some very worrying points and the help that many give freely should be recognised.
The 'young' vote on 12:06 - Dec 12 with 1893 viewshomer_123

The 'young' vote on 11:59 - Dec 12 by HennikerBlu

The figures show 78% voting for the established parties, because it is Labour in the majority 'some' of you have extrapolated that into it shows that they are being more politically astute than the adult electorate.

What I would have hoped to see is a more radical departure, a stronger performance for the Greens, though at 17% it is better than reality. However, it is the young with groups like Extinction Rebellion which will influence and hopefully change the future; as Greta Thornberg made the point yesterday, governments are finding work arounds on targets and with the increased melting in Greenland we have very serious Climate Change issues that can no longer wait.

I think Climate Change should be front and centre of the education agenda. This is not about protesting, this is about finding real solutions to future problems, many of which can be business driven and provide jobs. This I believe is far beyond party politics.

Thanks for sharing.

The issue for the Green party is they have no credible history of running a country.

Saying that...can they be worse than the current incumbents?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The 'young' vote on 12:52 - Dec 12 with 1825 viewsmonytowbray

This is TWTD stupid post of the year.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

The 'young' vote on 13:03 - Dec 12 with 1779 viewsBlueBadger

Interesting to see someone in the 'real world' ignoring the experiences and expertise of those who know what they're talking about in favour of parroting their own horsesh1t again despite being corrected.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2019 13:31]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The 'young' vote on 13:04 - Dec 12 with 1763 viewsHerbivore

Okay, boomer.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

POTD on 13:05 - Dec 12 with 1759 viewsDyland

The 'young' vote on 11:16 - Dec 12 by BlueNomad

nft

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

patronising twaddle on 13:06 - Dec 12 with 1754 viewsDyland

Open your fooking eyes ffs.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

The 'young' vote on 13:08 - Dec 12 with 1739 viewsBlueBadger

Millions of people relying on food parcel handouts in the 6th largest economy in the world is neither secure, stable, healthy or sound evidence of real prosperity.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2019 15:48]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024